Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Details on Tyr's ultimate demise?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  23:46:47  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tyr

Ok so right after the spell plague Tyr abdicates his godhood , gives his (entire?) portfolio away..... What did that render him - I wonder - a mere mortal?- a celestial? - hero god? - or Demigod?

Then he he later gets taken out by a demonic horde that invaded the upper planes. Are there any details on this invasion? It's purpose and
level of success. I mean I guess it was at least somewhat successful if Tyr was taken out. Or is Tyr really gone for good?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  00:11:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr is gone for good

there is not details on it more than that.

but Justice endures

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  00:21:25  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Tyr is gone for good

but Justice endures

There should be details, who took him out? Did he put up a valiant fight? Who will claim his mighty sword "Justicator"?
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:13:30  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK no effort were made to explain what happened in detail.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  04:48:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

Tyr is gone for good

but Justice endures

There should be details, who took him out? Did he put up a valiant fight? Who will claim his mighty sword "Justicator"?

in this pedastal is impaled the once sword of the god Tyr.

Justice Shall Endure.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:33:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The last part of the article seems to explain why he's removed for good and why WotC didn't bother with much details.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:43:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they goy rid of em brcause it was a goodd idea from green elven vampire when he heard they were going to nerf Torm.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:52:46  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But anyways, even in the case of getting rid of him because of his slaying of Helm, they could have created some kind of "heroic" death that helped him clean his image to the readers in case they decide reusing him in some future....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 14 Jan 2012 13:53:09
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  00:51:34  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

But anyways, even in the case of getting rid of him because of his slaying of Helm, they could have created some kind of "heroic" death that helped him clean his image to the readers in case they decide reusing him in some future....

Any chance Tyr gets resurrected during the Sundering? Perhaps some of his godly essence still exists within "Justicator" or "The Hammer of Tyr"...
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  01:05:43  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr coming back would be easy. He died as a mortal, so his spirit went somewhere in the upper planes. He gave his godhood to someone else because he didn't believe in himself. Maybe his death wiped away his doubts and/or Torm will grant his powers back to him because Tyr will be needed during and/or after the Sundering. The upheavals from all the wars during the Sundering and other bad things happening, I could definitely see a real need for some justice. Tyr reminds me of the old school. And some old school justice is just what the Realms might need.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  01:20:33  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, he had a heroic death, it's just that we were never told more than the basic setup.

He gave up his divinity to Torm and yet lead the celestial defenders against Orcus' invading forces, only to be slain by a powerful fiend (maybe even Orcus himself)

So he was still heroicly fighting at the frontlines despite haven no more divinity in him.

But yes, they should have given more details beside "Oh yeah, Tyr lead the charge against the demons and was killed. Whatever"

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Tyr coming back would be easy. He died as a mortal,
Not exactly mortal, rather as a still powerful (but non-divine) celestial
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  01:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyrs future or non future has already been decided according to Ed.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  01:40:36  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Well, he had a heroic death, it's just that we were never told more than the basic setup.

He gave up his divinity to Torm and yet lead the celestial defenders against Orcus' invading forces, only to be slain by a powerful fiend (maybe even Orcus himself)

So he was still heroicly fighting at the frontlines despite haven no more divinity in him.

But yes, they should have given more details beside "Oh yeah, Tyr lead the charge against the demons and was killed. Whatever"

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Tyr coming back would be easy. He died as a mortal,
Not exactly mortal, rather as a still powerful (but non-divine) celestial

Interesting but is that speculation? Where does it tell us what Tyr became after giving up his divinity? I dont know all the rules but wouldn't giving up %100 of your divinity lead to a gods ultimate demise? If Karsus had succeeded would Mystrl be walking around in a lesser form?

I petition the Realms writers to to flesh out what really happened here. IMO it's interesting and even if they didn't decide to keep Tyr around, the closure would be nice. He was arguably the greatest "Good" god in the realms next to Lathander.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  02:40:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree we should see the story (perhaps a novel is in order) but I believe we will see his return in The Herald.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  03:26:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I agree we should see the story (perhaps a novel is in order) but I believe we will see his return in The Herald.

we might, but that story features Elminster so..... it might be Mystra we see there.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  05:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, yeah, there should have been more on his death. There should have been more on a lot of things.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  05:15:09  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that most gods were being brought back with the Sundering.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  05:40:51  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the original question I'd guess that he became a celestial paragon - still a powerful outsider but weaker than a demigod.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  06:06:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I was under the impression that most gods were being brought back with the Sundering.

you'd not be the only one there.

he might return, he jsut might or might not return as the god of justice.

but then again there is one thing that I'd like to see if he does come back.

Neverwinter is the city of skilled hands, it also holds the honor of where TYR walked Faerun as a mortal during the time of troubles.

I'd want to see him kick that fool Nevermember out of the city.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  06:14:18  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if im not mistaken, wasn't Tyr also part of the "Norse" pantheon? He was an interloper deity that took up residence in Toril after he found he liked it, so a part of his deific essence could still be intact in his "Norse" alias.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  09:40:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Neverwinter is the city of skilled hands, it also holds the honor of where TYR walked Faerun as a mortal during the time of troubles.
Whoa...really?

I totally passed over that fact when writing my custom Neverwinter material.

I hope that if Neverwinter is renewed that its renewal has something to do with Tyr's return (and the expulsion of the aboleths below the city).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  15:03:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't recall this... Where is this mentioned?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  16:12:25  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's quoting this source: http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/HTML/FR_DG/LocationToT.html

My two pence: That particular mention is homebrew, it's the sourced quotes that are by Eric Boyd. The only mention of Tyr during the Time of Troubles is that Ao blinded him.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 24 Dec 2013 16:16:48
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  23:01:11  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Interesting I wonder if we'll see Helm and Eilistraee.....
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  07:31:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I think he's quoting this source: http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/HTML/FR_DG/LocationToT.html

My two pence: That particular mention is homebrew, it's the sourced quotes that are by Eric Boyd. The only mention of Tyr during the Time of Troubles is that Ao blinded him.

that could be..... but I couls swear... well no matter

to the right above this post though

Helm had something to do in the shadowbane series by ERik Scott DeBie.

havent read it yet though

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  10:32:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Torm and Bahamut are handling things well enough. We dont need Tyr back, I mean he killed Helm for no good reason. What sort of god of justice does that?
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  11:06:58  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One that is written bad.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  11:44:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not say the story was badly written, it was interesting enough, but thanks to its conclusion in Helm's murder I dont think we need Tyr around any longer especially when the new guys are doing a good job.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  11:49:42  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Interesting but is that speculation?
Well yes, it is. But since Tyr never was a human to begin with, why should he have become one? He was a celestial being with divinity, so I figure he would become one without divinity.
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

What sort of god of justice does that?
One who this time lost out against the equally powerful lord of lies, deceptions and murder.

Masterfuly played Cyric, masterfuly played.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  14:33:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would not say the story was badly written, it was interesting enough, but thanks to its conclusion in Helm's murder I dont think we need Tyr around any longer especially when the new guys are doing a good job.

Idk. IMO the whole divine love thingy was ridiculous. Seriously, two gods who engage in a mortal duel for the hearth of a woman? WTH is this? Cyric's hand in it or not, it doesn't make sense at all to me...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Dec 2013 14:35:16
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  13:12:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Idk. IMO the whole divine love thingy was ridiculous. Seriously, two gods who engage in a mortal duel for the hearth of a woman? WTH is this? Cyric's hand in it or not, it doesn't make sense at all to me...

Good point it kind of humanizes the gods a bit too much.
Blame it on Cyric . Its the best option and the one that makes the most sense.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000