Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Did not know : Duergar worship the lord of hell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  03:58:06  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In 4e Duergar worship the lord of hell <-<

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  06:07:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep

just because they culled the deities in the realms and shoe horned the 4e lore into the realms.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  12:46:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes well Laduguer and Duerra perished in the spellplague and they could hardly ask Moradin to be their new patron god could they. Beggars cant be choosers.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:00:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duergar will worship whoever gives them the best deal on a sofa. They like Sofas. Asmodeus runs a really nice furniture store in Hell.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:02:58  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we will find out whenever the 5e book comes out if that particular piece of shoehorning survived the transition.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:21:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering Laduguer held sway over magic weapons, I could see him instilling a bunch of his essence in various magic weapons to possibly fuel his rebirth. An artifact level Living Axe cruising around the Underdark or hidden in a temple etc. Never been a big fan of Deep Duerra, but as she's psionic I could see her pulling a Professor Xavier and blasting her mind into the queen of Underspires before she died.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:23:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand maybe there shouldn't be explanations for every deity rebirth or how they came back. Maybe they will just return and resume duties.

Edited by - Eilserus on 28 Dec 2013 17:23:30
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:33:12  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus
On the other hand maybe there shouldn't be explanations for every deity rebirth or how they came back. Maybe they will just return and resume duties.

I agree with this statement. I would just go with most Duergar continued worshiping Laduguer and Duerra. They didn't have magic wielding clerics for a while, but their priests retained their old positions in society through use of wealth and magic items. Asmodeus was a popular choice for those Duergar that had weak faith and most Duergar divine casters over the last 100 years follow Asmodeus. Upon the return, Duerra's and Laduguer's priest magic using abilities are restored.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:37:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an idea, instead of telling us what an entire race worships, why don't they get really creative and tell us that "although many members of {this} race revere such-and-such, they are all individuals, and as such a wide range of beings are worshiped by them."

Ya know... like humans.

I am constantly seeing 'exceptions to the rules' in various products, all throughout the history of D&D. In fact, its now sheik if your 'pet group' doesn't fit the norm. And you know what? I have no problem with that. Intelligent beings will make their own decisions, and for all we know there might be an illithid out there somewhere that follows the teachings of the Seldarine.

So let 5e say whatever it wants, but logic dictates that group of Duergar you are featuring in your next encounter will worship whatever it is that is most useful for the DM to have them worship (and once again, there is NOTHING wrong with that).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2013 17:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  17:47:16  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Generalizations are extremely useful in defining fantasy cultures. In 4e a duergar could have worshipped Torm, but that would not be the expectation of a sage that study their culture. In a similar fashion, most characters in FR would assume that a group of drow honor Lolth although it could be the case that they instead follow Mielikki. Humans in Zhentil keep during the 1350s could worship any deity, but if I was putting money on it I would go with Bane.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  00:26:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have an idea, instead of telling us what an entire race worships, why don't they get really creative and tell us that "although many members of {this} race revere such-and-such, they are all individuals, and as such a wide range of beings are worshiped by them."

Ya know... like humans.

Kind of a waste of space to print something like that when a particular race does not have a wide range of deific options and when exceptions are practically unheard of.

I'd rather have information on what the average member of a race does rather than have space for lore omitted with the unnecessary reminder that there could be an exception.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  05:44:32  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All demons are evil, except for bob, bob is weird.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  09:32:44  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in my 4E version of FR: duergar remain duergar, and durzagons remain durzagons. And bugger Asmodeus. If I wanted an interesting archdevil to play a more prominent role in my Realms I would choose Malkizid or even Gargauth.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  04:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it was specified that duergar in the Realms mass-converted to Asmodeus after their own gods died. 4e core duergar worship him, yes, as he fills the "freed them from the mindflayers" role in Points of Light, but I don't know that it carried over to the Realms.

This might surprise a few people, but duergar in my Realms don't worship Asmodeus on a race-wide level. He is growing in popularity among them after the death of their own gods, along with general devil worship(Dispater, Mammon, and Belial, especially), but the bulk of them still cling to their old gods, stubbornly refusing to admit their deaths. Others are turning to Rovagug or Torog(imported from Pathfinder and Points of Light, respectively) or Gond, Waukeen, or Tiamat.

So I'm kind of with Mark on this one. I've been moving away from racial gods in general in my realms.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000