Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Brimstone Angels-A short review with some spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  20:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a short review for the recent novel Brimstone Angelsby Erin M. Evans, author of The God Catcher. Fair warning, there will be some spoilers. I will try to spoiler code the bigger spoilers. I will also try to not go into extreme detail because I don't want to spoil everything and people should read the book themselves to learn everything. Also, I have no real experience writing reviews, so this might not be terribly professional. Here goes.

-Noteable Locations
The book largely takes place in and around Neverwinter. It starts in a small village called Arush Vayem on the Tymantheran frontier. The journey between those two is skipped over, and presumably uneventful. There is also some action set in Malbolge in the Nine Hells.

-Characters
The main characters are a pair of twin Tiefling girls named Farideh and Havilar. Farideh is a warlock and Havilar is a fighter who favors a glaive.

Mehen is a Dragonborn outcast who has raised the girls since they were left near the village.

Lorcan is a Cambion who has a warlock pact with Farideh. Lorcan is the son of Invadiah, a high ranking Harpy in service to Glasya. He resides in the Hells.

Rohini is a Succubus sent by Glasya to serve Invadiah to forward their plans in Neverwinter.
Spoilered appearances and spoilered info on the characters above:
Glasya does make a few appearances. As does her father, Asmodeus. Rohini is the sister of Arunika, a Succubus featured in Salvatore's Neverwinter and it is revealed that Arunika is dead (unless I missed her dying in Neverwinter).

-Lore
There are some interesting bits about a group of Tieflings that made a deal with Asmodeus himself and a few looks into how things work in the Hells for Cambions. Most of the lore goes in this direction.

-Plot
The twins get kicked out of their village and make their way to Neverwinter. Along the way they meet a couple interesting people who play a role as the book progresses. Once there, they find themselves involved in overlapping, far reaching plots involving the Hells, Aboleths, Cultists, and Harpers. I don't want to detail it here because it will spoil it. I can send a pm for anyone interested, but overall I recommend you read the book. The plot does deal with Tieflings not being welcome in some parts of the Realms and the girls and Mehen having to deal with this. It also deals with the girls coming of age and deciding how to deal with other people in the larger world who may or may not like them purely based on what they are. This does not go down the "woe is me" path that Drizzt seems to dip into. It is more the "they need to learn to deal with us" path. I think it is handled well.

-Thoughts/Misc Comments
I liked the book. It's main strengths, in my opinion, are the characters and the dialogue. Mehen is a bit one sided, but he is playing the gruff outcast soldier so I suppose that was to be expected. Everyone else is fleshed out. The twins are an interesting change of pace. Havilar seems to have no end of random things she has heard along the way that she really believes about how things work on Toril. Innocent and seeking what she thinks is adventure is the best way to describe her. Farideh is more reserved. She is questioning the deal with Lorcan, and the effects he has on her. Physical effects. Lorcan is someone clearly raised in the Hells who has had to find a way to survive in a rigid heirarchy that he has no real hope of climbing since he isn't a full devil. As such, he seems like he would be capable of feeling things and acting for reasons beyond personal gain. Lorcan is someone who has survived by knowing that sometimes it is better to not know or speculate about the plans of those far more powerful than himself.

Even though I said the characters and dialogue are the main strength, the plot and lore are both also good. It does also give some insights into current day Neverwinter and the powers within the city.

Overall, I recommend the book. I'm not going to try to come up with a scale to rate it because I favor a pass/fail (read/don't read) approach. For this one, read it. If you're interested in the ins and outs of the Hells, the powers in Neverwinter, lore on Tieflings and Cambions, or if you want characters a little outside what we normally see in Realms books (teenage Tiefling twin sisters) then you should read this book. If you liked The God Catcher, you should read this book.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2011 :  22:27:05  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear you liked it, Tyrant.

Should anyone have questions or want to talk about the book, I'm terribly available right now--maternity leave. :)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  00:03:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy was delayed in shipment. But I awoke to an email this morning telling me Brimstone Angels is now on it's way to my doorstep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  00:15:21  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Should anyone have questions or want to talk about the book, I'm terribly available right now--maternity leave. :)

I have to say that at first I was very skeptical of this novel due to it centering around Tieflings and a Dragonborn. I have not been a fan of either of these 4E changes/additions nor have I been a fan of the new Neverwinter. But I am about halfway through the novel and I absolutely love the way you are handling the characters and the setting. There are a lot of elements in 4E that have always felt forced together and they, for me, made the Realms feel not so Realmsian. But you have done a great job of blending these elements together into a very interesting narrative that definitely feels like it is set in the Realms. Bravo!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  03:58:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

I have to say that at first I was very skeptical of this novel due to it centering around Tieflings and a Dragonborn. I have not been a fan of either of these 4E changes/additions nor have I been a fan of the new Neverwinter. But I am about halfway through the novel and I absolutely love the way you are handling the characters and the setting. There are a lot of elements in 4E that have always felt forced together and they, for me, made the Realms feel not so Realmsian. But you have done a great job of blending these elements together into a very interesting narrative that definitely feels like it is set in the Realms. Bravo!

Tieflings have been around since 2E, and in the Realms since at least 3E.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  04:10:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tieflings also exist in fair numbers in Impiltur, Damara, the Great Dale and Thesk. Each region has its own slightly different view on them.

And there are plenty of references to tiefling NPCs in the 2e Realms, so...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  05:24:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Congrats!

Boy or a girl?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  05:52:13  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Tieflings also exist in fair numbers in Impiltur, Damara, the Great Dale and Thesk. Each region has its own slightly different view on them.

And there are plenty of references to tiefling NPCs in the 2e Realms, so...

Hence the qualifier of changes/additions. Tieflings are the changes, Dragonborn are the additions. To be more specific, I am not a fan of the physical appearance changes made to all of the plane touched races.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  06:39:45  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you! I'm always really glad to hear when my books "fit in." I like digging in and trying to mesh with the history and style--it's good to know when it works, especially for people who care the most about the world. :)

Personally, I liked the new look for tieflings, but it drove me crazy that there wasn't an explanation for the change in the world. I get that the looks of races are usually "Because it looks really cool" but there's room for some interesting lore there. So...I essentially pestered my editor into letting me explain it. (It takes more than one book since it's just background, at this point).

And (forgive me for not quoting properly, I'm doing this from my phone) Brimstone, it's a boy. If you check my blog there's a picture of him with Brimstone Angels :p

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  04:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Personally, I liked the new look for tieflings, but it drove me crazy that there wasn't an explanation for the change in the world. I get that the looks of races are usually "Because it looks really cool" but there's room for some interesting lore there. So...I essentially pestered my editor into letting me explain it. (It takes more than one book since it's just background, at this point).

Is this part of the deal with the original 13 that gets mentioned a few times in the book?
quote:
And (forgive me for not quoting properly, I'm doing this from my phone) Brimstone, it's a boy. If you check my blog there's a picture of him with Brimstone Angels :p

Congrats!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  10:55:11  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

Is this part of the deal with the original 13 that gets mentioned a few times in the book?

Yes. I'm working on the sequel now, and it gets more "page time" there.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  01:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. I'm working on the sequel now, and it gets more "page time" there.

Well, that answers another question that I didn't think you would be able to answer at this point. I look forward to the sequel. I know you can't say much, if anything, but will we have the same general cast of supporting characters (Lorcan and the other folks in the Hells) or any idea where it will take place?

I do have another question about Lorcan and his ability to make Warlock pacts. I don't know a whole lot about warlock pacts in game or in novel, but I was under the (potentialy mistaken) impression that there is some type of power threshold for beings to be able to do that. So, is Lorcan more powerful than depicted, or is he powerful enough and there is a lower bar than I think, or does power have nothing to do with it and he can issue the pacts for some other reason entirely? If an answer conflicts with anything being kept under wraps for the sequel, then anything else you can say about it would be great.

Totally unrelated question: Has there been any real talk or any plans made for using any of the characters from The God Catcher again?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  04:04:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be more specific, I am not a fan of the physical appearance changes made to all of the plane touched races.

I think there can be significant difference between tieflings as much as there are between other races. A person from Rasheman will probably look quite different than someone from Calimshan, yet they are both Humans. I think a lot of the physical changes made in 4E were there to, as Erin said, "Because it looks really cool" but I still believe there are changes that are persistant throughout their race. An example would be a Tiefling female with a reddish hue and small horns, yet for the most part looks human compared to say.....the a Tiefling male who looks like the Lord of Darkness from the movie Legend. Both are tieflings, yet different breeds of hellish creatures create different people.

BTW, I'm very happy for you Erin. Congratulations! I saw this book online and it definitly looked interesting. With Tyrant's good review and the plot being centered around Neverwinter, I'm most likely going to purchase the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  07:40:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm seriously considering picking this up.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  17:44:10  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, that answers another question that I didn't think you would be able to answer at this point. I look forward to the sequel. I know you can't say much, if anything, but will we have the same general cast of supporting characters (Lorcan and the other folks in the Hells) or any idea where it will take place?

Same cast, different concentrations. I spilled a little in this http://erikscottdebie.com/2011/11/01/twin-devil-ladies-and-mayhem-erin-evans-on-brimstone-angels/interview with Erik. The Hells are more of a simmering threat in the next book. As for location...I suspect WotC wouldn't want me to get that specific, but I will say I wanted to go straight to Cormyr, but they suggested I delay slightly.

quote:
I do have another question about Lorcan and his ability to make Warlock pacts. I don't know a whole lot about warlock pacts in game or in novel, but I was under the (potentialy mistaken) impression that there is some type of power threshold for beings to be able to do that. So, is Lorcan more powerful than depicted, or is he powerful enough and there is a lower bar than I think, or does power have nothing to do with it and he can issue the pacts for some other reason entirely? If an answer conflicts with anything being kept under wraps for the sequel, then anything else you can say about it would be great.

Unfortunately, I can't find the text that backs me up on this after scouring my sourcebooks (which makes me think it was in a DDi article), but somewhere there's an assertion that cambions are frequently pact-brokers. Which is good, because I found that after I'd already started writing Lorcan. But it fits what I assumed: the pact-making entity is providing a link to the power of the plane he or she (or it) is connected to. I imagine it takes a certain amount of power and skill, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes something out of Lorcan, but as he's the middle man not the source, he doesn't have to amass a lot of power to keep up.

quote:
Totally unrelated question: Has there been any real talk or any plans made for using any of the characters from The God Catcher again?

I'm considering bringing my 2013 book back to 1479 DR Waterdeep. I'm curious though: Which characters are you eager to see?

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  18:21:21  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I think there can be significant difference between tieflings as much as there are between other races. A person from Rasheman will probably look quite different than someone from Calimshan, yet they are both Humans. I think a lot of the physical changes made in 4E were there to, as Erin said, "Because it looks really cool" but I still believe there are changes that are persistant throughout their race. An example would be a Tiefling female with a reddish hue and small horns, yet for the most part looks human compared to say.....the a Tiefling male who looks like the Lord of Darkness from the movie Legend. Both are tieflings, yet different breeds of hellish creatures create different people.

And there's plenty of variation in the mortals who make up the other parts of their lineage. It's not as much as tieflings had, but still room.

My favorite story about lore colliding with art direction is from some Dragonlance supplementary material. Apparently Raistlin's iconic looks were the result of the art director deciding hourglass eyes and gold skin looked cool--leaving Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman to work out why he looked that way.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  18:22:20  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm seriously considering picking this up.

This may seem a touch biased...but I think that's a fantastic idea.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  05:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Same cast, different concentrations. I spilled a little in this http://erikscottdebie.com/2011/11/01/twin-devil-ladies-and-mayhem-erin-evans-on-brimstone-angels/interview with Erik. The Hells are more of a simmering threat in the next book. As for location...I suspect WotC wouldn't want me to get that specific, but I will say I wanted to go straight to Cormyr, but they suggested I delay slightly.

Interesting interview. I did get the vibe you were shooting for with Lorcan. Are we going to see more of him and maybe see if his thread of humanity will expand (or just pop up at the wrong time and get crushed, driving him back to evil)? As for Cormyr, that could be interesting if they are allowed to get there.
quote:
Unfortunately, I can't find the text that backs me up on this after scouring my sourcebooks (which makes me think it was in a DDi article), but somewhere there's an assertion that cambions are frequently pact-brokers. Which is good, because I found that after I'd already started writing Lorcan. But it fits what I assumed: the pact-making entity is providing a link to the power of the plane he or she (or it) is connected to. I imagine it takes a certain amount of power and skill, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes something out of Lorcan, but as he's the middle man not the source, he doesn't have to amass a lot of power to keep up.

I see. That makes sense then. I thought he was the power source, not the broker.
quote:
I'm considering bringing my 2013 book back to 1479 DR Waterdeep. I'm curious though: Which characters are you eager to see?

It's been a little while since I read the book so I had to look up the names (hope I got the right two), but Tennora and Nestrix are who I would like to see again. For their characters, and to find out more about them. If I recall correctly, Tennora was implied to be related to a known Sembian family. And for Nestrix, I would like to see how she is adjusting to her unique condition. I imagine there are a number of people with varying intentions that would love to study her. And I suppose the dragons would have an interest in her as well.

Another question, is your 2013 book the follow up to Brimstone Angels, or is it another book? If it is the follow up, seeing the characters from the two books together would be interesting.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Tarloc
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  07:26:03  Show Profile Send Tarloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im off thursday. be at barnes early to grab this one. sounds great.

"hey, you just rolled two natural twenties!"
"is that a touchdown?"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  17:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to throw in my hat to recommend this book, as might be implied by writing a whole interview about it.

Interesting discussion about appearance and the races: when I was writing Downshadow, the appearance of a certain character came up, when my editor specified that since she was a tiefling, she needed to have human ears, devil horns, and a tail, to which I responded that she was a fey'ri, actually, so her appearance is a little different. She still has the tail, though I got to keep the antlers.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  03:01:41  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Interesting interview. I did get the vibe you were shooting for with Lorcan. Are we going to see more of him and maybe see if his thread of humanity will expand (or just pop up at the wrong time and get crushed, driving him back to evil)?

Lorcan's the deuteragonist of the series, so you will definitely see more of him as long as I get to write Brimstone Angels novels. What you described is pretty much his conflict--does he go good or does he slip back into evil? I can't say for sure which it will ultimately be, but I promise I'll make it interesting!

quote:
Tennora and Nestrix are who I would like to see again. For their characters, and to find out more about them. If I recall correctly, Tennora was implied to be related to a known Sembian family. And for Nestrix, I would like to see how she is adjusting to her unique condition. I imagine there are a number of people with varying intentions that would love to study her. And I suppose the dragons would have an interest in her as well.

Duly noted . I'm always curious about this, since people's opinions vary so much. Apparently, a resurrected Ferremo has a small but devoted fanbase.

quote:
Another question, is your 2013 book the follow up to Brimstone Angels, or is it another book? If it is the follow up, seeing the characters from the two books together would be interesting.

That would be interesting! But the book is a glimmer in my eye and some ink on a contract at this point, so that's all the teasers I have.

quote:
Interesting discussion about appearance and the races: when I was writing Downshadow, the appearance of a certain character came up, when my editor specified that since she was a tiefling, she needed to have human ears, devil horns, and a tail, to which I responded that she was a fey'ri, actually, so her appearance is a little different. She still has the tail, though I got to keep the antlers.

Heh. Did you make Fayne a fey'ri to circumvent the tiefling looks or was she always so in your head?

The only thing I don't like about the 4E tiefling appearence is the practicality of the horns. You have to be really careful describing how they sleep, of all things.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  00:07:01  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading this one right now. The tiefling sisters and Mehen are well done characters. I really care about Havi and Farideh and hope things work out for the better for them (haven't finished it yet). The same goes for Mehen and his plight over his girls' future.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  12:49:41  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is great, guys. Awesome job, Erin! And congrats on the wee little one.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  02:22:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Seriously loved the novel.

I liked the exploration of the new reality that these two female devil races find them selves in.

Spoiler alert

Another area of interesting possible character development is Invadiah now that she's been demoted to succubus. Invadiah had fought succubi for millenia before the Ascention and view them as disgusting underlings after. Now she is one, including that remaining spark of the abyss. Hey at least she's got her wings back.

I am left wondering though were passion devils of Fierna fit in, especially as Fierna isn't the archdevil in the realms, Belial is. Still they seem more about being the ultimate in narcissitic vainity then seducers.

Also if Euryines became more greek mythology in nature, what happened to the Briachina, the pleasure devils that were they're previous promotion? I really liked Briachina because they were more then the usual battle hardened succubi with OCD like the Euyrines used to be, they had a far more religious feel, they were seducers still but they focused on corruption the religous and the whole dark angel thing thing was really emphasised.

Dito the Lilitu, who while seducteresses were more monsterous in appearence and powerful clerical magic and a suidical origion that screamed crazy demon.

Speaking Lilitu what happened to Malchanthet? Why does Malchanthet's unholy symbol resemble Sharess' Holy symbol so much even though they're foes.

Oh and why is Sharess called the succubus of sensations when she's not a devil or demon?

Great book, favourite Characters were Rehini, Glasya, Farideh and her sister and Lorcan and his sister which was a different take on a sibling rivalry.

The Aboleth vs. Hell was really cool as well. Basically Chuluthulu vs. Satan's (Asmodeus') daughter. Which would make an awesome horror movie btw.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  20:33:23  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did I miss this...?

I'm glad you liked the book!

(Spoilery...)

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor
Another area of interesting possible character development is Invadiah now that she's been demoted to succubus. Invadiah had fought succubi for millenia before the Ascention and view them as disgusting underlings after. Now she is one, including that remaining spark of the abyss. Hey at least she's got her wings back.

It's definitely not a role she'd fall into gracefully. Succubus Invadiah appears briefly in Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils, so you'll get a glimpse of that transformation at least.

quote:
I am left wondering though were passion devils of Fierna fit in, especially as Fierna isn't the archdevil in the realms, Belial is. Still they seem more about being the ultimate in narcissitic vainity then seducers.

Also if Euryines became more greek mythology in nature, what happened to the Briachina, the pleasure devils that were they're previous promotion? I really liked Briachina because they were more then the usual battle hardened succubi with OCD like the Euyrines used to be, they had a far more religious feel, they were seducers still but they focused on corruption the religous and the whole dark angel thing thing was really emphasised.

Dito the Lilitu, who while seducteresses were more monsterous in appearence and powerful clerical magic and a suidical origion that screamed crazy demon.

Speaking Lilitu what happened to Malchanthet? Why does Malchanthet's unholy symbol resemble Sharess' Holy symbol so much even though they're foes.

Oh and why is Sharess called the succubus of sensations when she's not a devil or demon?

The only question I have an "officialish" answer to is "What happened to Malcanthet?" I considered mentioning her as a possible point of division in Rohini's loyalties, and heard back that she's definitely still around and in the Hells, but unplaced, as she hasn't come up in any books/source books. I would posit that she's a vassal of one of the archdevils, but probably not in Malbolge. If I were going to place her, I would have settled her in Minauros or Phleghthos. Or maybe in Nessus with Asmodeus as some sort of trophy/informant. I think she'd be really interesting to play with, since she'd be a natural rallyng figure for succubi who really think of themselves as succubi first and foremost, vs. succubi like Rohini who see themselves as players in the hierarchy who are succubi at the moment. She could be a very dangerous vassal to have in your court (high risk, but high reward).

The lilitu are interesting. They could still be a form some succubi ascend to. They could be a form only the succubi serving Malcanthet ascend to. Or I think it's plausible given how much they don't like succubi, that the lilitu didn't come over to the Hells and remain in the Abyss as demons. But no one's said. :)

This, too, isn't official, but I like to imagine that the advancement structure in Baator post-Ascension is a little more open. So erinyes might not become pleasure devils or brachina, but they also might if they were really more devious than deadly. Invadiah, I suspect, was shooting for "unique devil" status more than anything, but Nemea and Aornos would have wanted to take the "pit fiend" track and Rohini would always be suited for corruptor roles over straight up battlin'. (In the end, again I *suspect* it would be the archdukes' decision where a given devil fit. Rohini might have wanted to become an erinyes, and been slapped with pleasure devil status).

And Fierna...I wish they'd named her as the archduke in the 4th edition books. I really liked the power struggle implied with Belial pulling the strings but Fierna starting to push back--and making inconvenient friends with Glasya. If they'd let me write more, I'd love to go to Phleghthos and play with that.

quote:
The Aboleth vs. Hell was really cool as well. Basically Chuluthulu vs. Satan's (Asmodeus') daughter. Which would make an awesome horror movie btw.

I would watch the Hells out of that. ;)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  04:29:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Erin!

Isn't Infernal politics fun:)

Actually as odd as this sounds the planes are one of my favourite part of the realms, I love politics and the fantasical nature of Dominions and Realms created by the Gods and Primordials and thier minions, places of their will manifest.

Anyway really glad to hear about the next book.

sorry I replied late.

Anyways I put your name forward on Wizards of the Coast forums as a suggestion as to who should be lead designer on the 5e campaign setting as you seemed the best suited to fixing,the contridictions between editions in the lore and hopefully end the edition wars. Peace in our time:)

I probably should have asked before I did that. I guess I have leadership contests on the brain (the NDP is having a leadership contest and I'm a dipper, er if this sounds crazy just ask Ed, he's Canadian too).

Looking to your next novel.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000