Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What FR book should I read next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  22:14:47  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I have fallen behind in my FR book reading of late and have less and less time to read for enjoyment. So I want to weigh in on the best FR book to read next and any possible reasons why.

Thanks

Choices:

Cry of the Ghost Wolf
Dawnbringer
Sword of the Gods
Brimstone Angels
Shadowbane
Unbroken Chain: Darker Road
The Restless Shore

(Anonymous Vote)

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:41:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really depends on your personal tastes.

My own choice would be Shadowbane. Erik's next creative contribution to Realms fiction. 'Nuff said!

I'd follow that with Sword of the Gods. But I know most here aren't always inclined toward Cordell-fiction, so...

I haven't read Dawnbringer, Brimstone Angels, or the second Unbroken Chain novel.

Cry of the Ghost Wolf still hasn't arrived yet, and The Restless Shore is in my "To-Read" stack.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:58:03  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowbane is the only one I have read of those and it is a most excellent read. The others are in my to read pile. It will be interesting to see the opinions of other scribes on this as I am getting ready to prioritize a very similar list. For the moment, I went for A Dance with Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  02:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reluctant to actually vote for one of these because it is hard to pick one amongst the ones I have read. I myself will be reading Cry of the Ghost Wolf very soon since I have about 50 pages or so of Hand of the Hunter left. I have read Brimstone Angels, Dawnbringer, and Unbroken Chain 2. I'll break down why I think each of these would be good.

Brimstone Angels-I wrote a review of sorts here in the novel section and it should still be in the first 3 pages or so. The writing and characters are excellent. The singular element I disliked was that the Dragonborn character was essentially "gruff, exiled soldier". Now, he was that to a T, so it wasn't that his part was poorly written. I think if anything it's because everyone else in the book is so well written and interesting I found myself thinking "man, what's this guy's story?". He is written as his character type demands, but everyone else is so lively it stands out a little. And that is a very, very minor issue, if it is one at all.

Unbroken Chain-I read this several months ago. I thought it was good. If you liked the first you will like this one. It further explores the main characters of the first book and sees them travel to Toril, specifically Rasheman. So, you also get to see a glimpse of how others view the Shadar Kai.

Dawnbringer-First and foremost, the blurb is way off. This is not Romeo and Juliet meets the Realms. There is an aspect of that, but it is superficial. The main action follows two Devas in their current lives. It gives you an insight into what an endless cycle of death and rebirth might be like and how it might change someone. There is a pretty massive time jump at one point that goes way beyond any current material, but it serves a purpose. I enjoyed the book overall and I would definitely read a follow up if it were to be written.

I haven't read Shadowbane but if Erik's other books are anything to go by I am sure it is a must read. I just need to come to grips with having to read it on my computer.

Edit to add: Here is the review for Brimstone Angels. I believe I kept it relatively spoiler free. The posts after mine may not be so read them at your own risk.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 14 Jan 2012 03:01:15
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  06:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww!

I would recommend you read Downshadow before you read Shadowbane. Not that you really have to (I think it stands on its own), but you might like the chance to get to know the characters a little more. Or maybe read it after?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:49:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Have you read the other 4E novels not on the list? My recommendation is not there. Though I myself would most likely read the Unbroken Chain: Darker Road.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  15:56:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read any of these, sorry.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  16:47:37  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read every FR book ever published other than these seven books. So no need to worry if I'll follow the story. I too need to come to grips with reading Shadowbane on my ipad. :(

Edited by - jornan on 14 Jan 2012 19:35:15
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  02:34:38  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot recommend anyone of those because I have not been able to read any of these because 80-90% are not available as eBooks outside the US, therefore I have to spend my money elsewhere.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  03:36:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I cannot recommend anyone of those because I have not been able to read any of these because 80-90% are not available as eBooks outside the US, therefore I have to spend my money elsewhere.

Try eBay

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  11:04:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cry of the ghostwolf is quite good. Its different from the other novels so i would recomend that. Restless shore is not something you should purchase in my view as its a rather pointless book. a one time read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000