Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Level 100
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  17:18:49  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If you wanted to create a level 100 spellcaster how would you guys go about it? What classes what prestige classes?

Here is my build:

Wizard 35

Force Weaver 10

Spellfire Channeler 10

Incantrix 10

Arch Mage 5

Arcane Avatar 5

Elemental Lord 5

Wizard King 5

Word Bearer 5

Harper Mage 5

War Wizard of Cormyr 5

These classes are from what ever I could find off powerful prestige classes. If anyone has a better idea, please do share!!!

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  08:03:36  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pun Pun.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  10:37:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why stop at 100? I think a level 1000 character would be far more powerful.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  14:16:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Mozart was a level 1000 Bard

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  20:03:40  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A more important question is how would anyone as a DM create the believable adventure story-arc, adversaries, and endless epic combat encounters needed to allow a character to reach level 100 in the first place...without breaking the campaign world in the process.

1E, 2E, and 4E had level caps for a reason. The 3E experiment with infinite epic levels was a horrific aberration, and one which breaks apart game/stat/progression-wise very quickly..

Edited by - The Simbul on 22 Nov 2011 20:04:46
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  21:51:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

A more important question is how would anyone as a DM create the believable adventure story-arc, adversaries, and endless epic combat encounters needed to allow a character to reach level 100 in the first place...without breaking the campaign world in the process.

1E, 2E, and 4E had level caps for a reason. The 3E experiment with infinite epic levels was a horrific aberration, and one which breaks apart game/stat/progression-wise very quickly..

We never played with level caps using 2E. Campaigning at level 20+ just requires more planning and creativity.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  22:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wasn't the 4th adventure of the Bloodstone series designed for level 100 characters?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  03:00:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

Wasn't the 4th adventure of the Bloodstone series designed for level 100 characters?

I believe so.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  03:01:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And folks, if Nicolai's style of play isn't yours, then that's fine. Either help or don't, but don't knock how someone else has fun.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  03:41:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

I don't think the simple offerings of the bard class could every truly encapsulate the genius that was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Believe me, I've been trying to work up a composer-style class for representing classical prodigies for some time now. It's no easy feat.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  05:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think playing a 100 level character would be a fun diversion once in a while. I couldn't make a steady diet of it, like playing evil characters or a really bizarre race, but it would be fun nevertheless.

I'm not a very good min/maxer so I don't really know. I'd have to work it out but I'd like to go to full 20 in base classes like wizard, psion, and warlock and then go full in the prcs that allow you to gain the spell growth of two classes at once. The cerebremancer comes to mind for spells and manifestations.

Then the incantatrix would be a big help. Are you allowing some tank classes to be mixed in to beef up the caster a bit?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  07:47:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players can already fill an entire week (and perhaps a dozen pages) just writing up level 12 characters. Forget this level 100 stuff, I'd rather play the game without having to wait a decade.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  13:42:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

I don't think the simple offerings of the bard class could every truly encapsulate the genius that was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Believe me, I've been trying to work up a composer-style class for representing classical prodigies for some time now. It's no easy feat.

Mozart was truly one-of-a-kind.

Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:38:44  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And folks, if Nicolai's style of play isn't yours, then that's fine. Either help or don't, but don't knock how someone else has fun.

I love hearing about Nicolai's characters and games. It's such a vastly different style from my own. He always seems to really enjoy it too, which is refreshing to hear.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  19:32:21  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I....wouldn't.... that would be more powerful than a deity....? Mortals should not be able to have more than 30 class levels in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  12:36:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fingal

quote:

I love hearing about Nicolai's characters and games. It's such a vastly different style from my own. He always seems to really enjoy it too, which is refreshing to hear.

Glad to hear it. I do enjoy it very much, and yes i know that the style and way that I like to play differs from what many find the "right" way to play it. But none the less i love it.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  17:21:12  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no "right" way to play.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  19:31:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure there is....

The style you and your group enjoys the most.

And I second Wooly's suggestion - I wasn't participating in this thread because I had nothing positive to contribute. Negativity can kill the best forums (I've seen it), and we have few-enough allies left. Are we going to turn on each other now?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Nov 2011 18:19:46
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  08:34:01  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We shall no turn on each other at all...

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  15:06:16  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander
Glad to hear it. I do enjoy it very much, and yes i know that the style and way that I like to play differs from what many find the "right" way to play it. But none the less i love it.

I think it's safe to say most people do not play at the levels Nicolai does. That said, Nikolai, do you have any game play issues with characters that have a hundred character levels spread across multiple classes? What I mean is, the power that someone reaching level 100 automatically entails tends to get intense, and some people say it can get a bit campy, silly and/or out of control, even for mere 20-30th level characters. How do you keep 100th level characters straight with the power they have? Also, how do you rationalize the existence of 100th level characters when official game worlds tends to top out around level 30? Do you use the Realms? Are your NPCs equally high level instead of what they are in the products?

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  19:14:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, I've got to say, that my own main character is the highest level of the group, and he is level 26.

What we do is, we tweak the canon write-ups of the FR NPCs...

So Sazz Tam is level 35 instead of 29, and so on, but what we do or more precisely we seldom go dungeon crawling. My mage is spending a lot of time, researching spells, lore and magical traditions of the elves, Netheril and the Imaskakari. He is also training some apprentices at the moment.

We play more intrigue, strategic and political game, than "normal" low level games.

But, if I were to run a level 100 game, I would create a master primordial NPC or some adventure that took then to some other planes. Something that would make them less godlike. And somehow have them do a lot of puzzles which were orchestrated by this master mind, but random to them...

It’s difficult to say... but one thing is sure. If it made my players happy, sure... there are nasty monsters out there if you know where to look.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  19:09:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only 100 level character I ever built was for d20 Modern. And the build was using all the tools in the core book in order to build Batman. And yes, it took 90+ levels before I'd even consider him for the cowl.

Of course, in play, I was simply Franklin Thomason (alias for Bruce Wayne), still traveling the globe and in training at level 10.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  19:49:32  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Batman is max 6th level, but with overpowered equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  21:50:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Not familiar with D20Modern classes, myself... Going with regular D&D, if I was statting out Batman, I'd make him a high-level fighter, with at least a handful of rogue levels.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  00:06:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did this one for my "superheroes as D&D PC's" campaign, which sadly never got off the ground. He would be a monk/rogue, with a level or two of fighter thrown in. Go gestalt 3.5 PHB2 with him, and it works well.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  00:31:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I did this one for my "superheroes as D&D PC's" campaign, which sadly never got off the ground. He would be a monk/rogue, with a level or two of fighter thrown in. Go gestalt 3.5 PHB2 with him, and it works well.

Ah, monk/rogue would be a better fit! I grew up in 2E, and tend to think of classes in 2E terms -- so I totally forgot about the monk.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  01:36:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

That's actually a near-perfect fit! Especially given what we know of Batman's earliest martial training. [Ably reflected upon in the classic "Knightfall: Knightsend" story-arc.]

I'd also be inclined to add some level of an inquisitor-like class [maybe a variant of EBERRON's Master Inquisitive?], just to represent the Dark Knight's mastery of detective skill.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  01:44:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer the Vigilante PrC from Complete Adventurer. Fits his persona and skills.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  02:31:02  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Not familiar with D20Modern classes, myself... Going with regular D&D, if I was statting out Batman, I'd make him a high-level fighter, with at least a handful of rogue levels.

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/587/roleplaying-games/dd-calibrating-your-expectations-2
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  04:54:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that with 100 experience levels, not a single one is given to any warrior classes. Magic (and pseudo-magic, stuff like psionics by any name) gets all the glory.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  05:22:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting that with 100 experience levels, not a single one is given to any warrior classes. Magic (and pseudo-magic, stuff like psionics by any name) gets all the glory.

Nic likes magic. It's about his likes, not a commentary on any class.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000