Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Character Diversity: Realms traits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  15:08:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This scroll is designed to determine what makes your character unique and "Realmsian" compared to say a character from another setting. We all know that WotC is attempting to stream-line certain aspects of character creation such as Race and Classes that supercede the settings but is this good or bad?

And I've heard from other scribes that this streamlining is taking out the aspects that make the Realms or any other setting unique or different, so I'm wondering how? What did the previous editions do or have that made...say your Cormyrian fighter different than a fighter from Dark Sun?

For my own experiences I can point out a few things that made my characters more "Realmsian":

1. Substitution levels- the idea is IMO pretty cool and makes for a more unique RP as well as Roll Playing experience.

2. Regional Feats (3E)/Backround traits (4E)- While regional feats were more abundant than the traits, they still gave a player options and ideas as to where your character may hail from and provide them with a statistical difference based on region.

3. Languages- One staple point in FR and across the editions that helps your character identify with a specific race or region of Faerun.

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  00:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to your point 3... in many campaigns, we [my gaming group] even did away with Common, using Chondathan as the trade language over most of Faerun. Of course, if you weren't Chondathan, you'd have to learn the language to use it, no automatic language beyond your native tongue. ^_^

Edited by - Artemel on 27 Jul 2010 00:35:12
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  08:35:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking from a A&d and alternative systems position here. Nothing I can think of, except culture and background. A warrior from Turmish might as well be from Ergoth, a ranger from the North might well be from Keoland or northern Karameikos where the rules are concerned. A BRP thief will sneak and burgle the same way whether he is from Westgate or from Thieves World.

The exception would actually be Dark Sun as everything about that world was very different from the rest of the TSR worlds.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  18:05:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So aside from my few points and the culture/backrounds that an individual player can conceive nothing is distinctive from one character to another?

Well another point I can think of is spells. The Forgotten Realms has come up with a lot of unique spells that are very diverse when compared to other settings.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  11:30:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Official products offer some basic guidelines for making unique characters. It's a job of DMs to develop them from there. FR is pretty much undetailed world no matter what people say, a lot of it is left to homebrewing. In our system which is a 2e/3e/4e/houserules hybrid there is a ''pool'' of all possible feats/proficiencies/skills/traits/powers/spells/etc. (kind of like epic seeds) and the DM knows which one is exclusive to a particular culture, organization, school or arcana and how they stack. This requires a classless system (tough we have warriors, arcanists and rogues) and the powers can only be gained or improved through roleplaying. The players appreciate and enjoy their characters much more if they worked for them than just rolled the dice.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  20:12:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then there's nothing within a certain rule-set to determine the unique abilities for characters of a specific setting other than a few feats (in 3E/4E), prestige classes/paragon paths/etc....?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  12:07:05  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite honestly no. The Realms as presented is a world modified to fit with Ad&d and later editions, so its pretty logical that they fit with that rules set without to much variations.

The speciality priests will of course take a shape unique to the Realms and there are also various options like kits and prestige classes, but these are really not necessary, especially in 2ed. where the regional and humanoid kits were a bad idea. Some of the deity specific cleric kits were interesting though.

As for spells. There is really not any difference between calling a spell Snilloc's or Bigby's so I wouldnt call them setting specific, they fit anywhere.

When I think about it the idea of Wild Talents from 2nd ed, if used, could be seen as a pure Realmsian element added to standard classes.
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  22:51:43  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh god, what a terrible idea. I dislike anything like streamlining. Every setting should feel as different as possible from each other which can add great detail to a setting like Ravenloft where you can have a pc brought in from any setting.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  08:09:36  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, Forgotten Realms is all settings
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  22:41:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see the appeal for streamlining certain things, such as most of the races common among the D&D worlds (dwarf, halfling, human, elves, eladrin, etc....) but when it comes to the more exotic, then I could see certain resistances to those entering other settings (like Genasi in Dark Sun). But I think it's important to find and/or create specific things that make our characters more "Realms-like".
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  06:51:32  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golarion is becoming a place where you could make such unique characters, there are many cultural and racial traits/class options, especially after the release of the Advanced Player's Guide. It's easily transferable to the Realms too.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  10:38:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I can see the appeal for streamlining certain things, such as most of the races common among the D&D worlds (dwarf, halfling, human, elves, eladrin, etc....) but when it comes to the more exotic, then I could see certain resistances to those entering other settings (like Genasi in Dark Sun). But I think it's important to find and/or create specific things that make our characters more "Realms-like".

But isn't that were the background/ setting itself comes into play? Is there realy a need for specific rules to emphasise the Realmsian elements?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  17:45:35  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to kits/feats/traits... original kits always had drawbacks, that is, points where they are below the "abstract average" of game mechanics. But didn't have much flexibility.
While "regional feats" suffered from the common flaw of 3E - lack of incapsulation. Choose one: "Horse Nomad" OR "Saddleback"? "Mercantile Background" OR "Silver Palm" OR "Smooth Talk"?.. And so on.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

But isn't that were the background/ setting itself comes into play? Is there realy a need for specific rules to emphasise the Realmsian elements?
There's really a need for rules to emphasise specific elements. IMHO. At least, to avoid bumping the setting with the crude corners of the rules that aren't adaptable. Which usually limits the choice to "ignore the rules or turn everything into one big Eberhawk MUD".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  23:35:32  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note - a Realms-based pathfinder character trait system would be awesome.

---

I highly value Realmsifying any characters in my campaign and I always tried to do that as a player in the campaign I used to play in. I remember a fellow player saying he wants to run a character who was rightful heir to some lost kingdom. He didn't really care which one, but he turned down several suggestions from the DM. It's like he was in love with the concept and didn't want the campaign world to tread on it overmuch. That frustrated me, I'd always tried to blend the two. I would have jumped at a chance to be connected with the fallen empire that Iniarv destroyed, or, of course, Athalantar.

So, I had a peasant paladin of Tyr from Dhedluk who had been been taken to the church after Azoun IV and some nobles had found him unconcious in the woods. He had found a trapped wolf and tried to help it. The wolf attacked him, but he had spontaneously demonstrated lay on of hands, healing the wolf. Azoun had recognized this and had him sent to the church of Tyr. It was my expectation that the king would not even remember me. After Curse of the Azure Bonds and our ill-fated rescue of Alusair, I did end up with a limited noble title and a little bit more after a secret mission during a Cormyr: A Novel, plotline.

My second primary character was working on fixing some things that had changed from core in the realms. I'd taken part in a plot to rescue Laeral from the crown of horns, but for the most part gained a little political rank in Daggerford during their fighting with Secomber. As "Sentinel of the Lizard Marsh," I was working to rebuild the harpers, turn Daggerford into a New Athalantar, and maybe earn myself a spot as a chosen.

This campaign had frequent multi-characters, so I had worked out some employees of the above character and I know I spent a great deal of effort coming up with ideas based on Realms info. One was going to wield a spiked chain, based her self-created fighting style she'd developed working in her father's rope shop in Silverymoon. Another was a cousin of the Wands family and was hoping to apprentice to a noteable wizard.

I think it's about wrapping your pcs in the realms and then wrapping your motivations into the realms, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  18:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm not a fan of making rules when roleplaying and informing the players of the history, politics, and the rest of a regions/class/spell, etc. can accomplish the same task. Perhaps I've been lucky as a DM, but since I began playing in 1977, I've always had players who wanted more information about themselves and the history of the area they were adventuring in. As a DM, it was my responsibility to provide it. I did it for my homebrew world (called the Wild Coast - I didn't know until late 2E that Greyhawk had a region with the same name). And after the grey box came out, I did it for the Realms. I still do it today, even though we're using the Pathfinder rules system to play in the Forgotten Realms.

By keeping the rules to a minimum (and in the background whenever possible) and emphisizing character knowledge wherever possible, our characters are very Realms specific. Each players character history is full of bits of Realms lore - either remembered from past campaigns, made up on the spot by the player, or handed out by the DM. For each campaign, I do a 6-12 page document on the history of where the campaign starts, it's current political situation and mutiple adventure hooks. The players have at least a week between getting this document and the initial deadline for character backgrounds to be turned in. I'll review the backgrounds closely, and edit out any glaringly non-Realms bits. The the campaign is off and running.

This is our way of keeping the feel of our campiagns very Realmsian. Rules might accomplish the same thing, but I think it would take a lot of rules (I'm amazed by the depth of the system Quale descibes). I guess in the end, every group has to find a way that works for them.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  15:27:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the Moonshae Isles are sort of based off of the United Kingdom, then perhaps characters who hail from that area should be granted the "Football Hooligan" perk. This would entail bonuses to saving throws when consuming any form of alchohol, and battle-rager combat bonuses. :)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  21:23:14  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the need to Realmsify PC's, all D&D rules have a place somewhere in Faerun. Dragonmarks, manifest zones, spelljamming, factions, psionics, defiling, lifeshaping, horror, weird prestige classes, and so on.

Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  10:37:53  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Language was a huge part for my gaming group! if I had a dollar for every time I needed to speak some random elemental language in order to move on id be able to buy all the source books in the world.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  12:05:45  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I regularly make use of regional feats if they fit the character concept - likewise prestige classes (and in theory substitution classes, although the need has yet to arise). However, in reality these are window dressing - it's the details that can't be codified in rules that make a characters 'Realsian' - their history, appearance and beliefs.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  13:24:38  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

If the Moonshae Isles are sort of based off of the United Kingdom, then perhaps characters who hail from that area should be granted the "Football Hooligan" perk. This would entail bonuses to saving throws when consuming any form of alchohol, and battle-rager combat bonuses. :)

How wonderfully hilarious

I agree with Diffan about the Substitution levels, Regional feats, and Languages. I also think that the DM has a responsibility to incorporate as much history and background infomation as possible to get that "Realms" feel in the gameplay.

(Time for a drink I think... and some violence )
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  13:45:08  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This scroll is designed to determine what makes your character unique and "Realmsian" compared to say a character from another setting. We all know that WotC is attempting to stream-line certain aspects of character creation such as Race and Classes that supercede the settings but is this good or bad?

And I've heard from other scribes that this streamlining is taking out the aspects that make the Realms or any other setting unique or different, so I'm wondering how? What did the previous editions do or have that made...say your Cormyrian fighter different than a fighter from Dark Sun?

For my own experiences I can point out a few things that made my characters more "Realmsian":

1. Substitution levels- the idea is IMO pretty cool and makes for a more unique RP as well as Roll Playing experience.

2. Regional Feats (3E)/Backround traits (4E)- While regional feats were more abundant than the traits, they still gave a player options and ideas as to where your character may hail from and provide them with a statistical difference based on region.

3. Languages- One staple point in FR and across the editions that helps your character identify with a specific race or region of Faerun.

Diffan, your OP is over a year old so I'm not sure if this would still be of interest to you, but 2E Realms had a plethora of supplements like "Wizards and Rogues of the Realms" that detailed various adaptations you'd make to stats and such - based on the character's background. Where they were born, raised, and trained could give a set of bonuses and minuses, along with some minor benefits based on history. It was all optional, of course, like the regional feats one could take in 3E. But sorta interesting, IMO.

I don't know that they added all that much mechanically, other than just something fun and flavorful to do while rolling up your characters, but the additional background fluff on different regions was pretty nice to read. It was rather like a brief guide as to what your birth region was like, and how that could subsequently influence your PC.

Edit: There was also a "Warriors and Priests of the Realms" and I think a "Demihumans of the Realms" all with some nice flavor, part crunch and part fluff as it were. Thinking back, I'm not sure if these were late 1E or early 2E, but probably 2E. For sure, though, they were drawn together from old Realmsy stuff in early Dungeon and Polyhedron.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 14 Oct 2011 13:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  13:55:24  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Therise.

I recently discovered Wizards and Rogues of the Realms among my collection of Forgotten Realms books (I put books in the boxed sets to save space).

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it, as it contained a huge amount of info on regions, and even if you weren't playing 2e there's alot of potential for including some of the material.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:23:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Diffan, your OP is over a year old so I'm not sure if this would still be of interest to you, but 2E Realms had a plethora of supplements like "Wizards and Rogues of the Realms" that detailed various adaptations you'd make to stats and such - based on the character's background. Where they were born, raised, and trained could give a set of bonuses and minuses, along with some minor benefits based on history. It was all optional, of course, like the regional feats one could take in 3E. But sorta interesting, IMO.

I don't know that they added all that much mechanically, other than just something fun and flavorful to do while rolling up your characters, but the additional background fluff on different regions was pretty nice to read. It was rather like a brief guide as to what your birth region was like, and how that could subsequently influence your PC.

Edit: There was also a "Warriors and Priests of the Realms" and I think a "Demihumans of the Realms" all with some nice flavor, part crunch and part fluff as it were. Thinking back, I'm not sure if these were late 1E or early 2E, but probably 2E. For sure, though, they were drawn together from old Realmsy stuff in early Dungeon and Polyhedron.

I still use and play 3E/PF and use the Realms setting a lot so I thank you for bringing them up. I'll have to find copies of them or maybe purchace a PDF somewhere.

This also brought up the Class Chronicles Eytan did a few years back that brought classes outside Core into the Realms like the Tome of Battle classes, Complete Book classes and so forth. They're very interesting and definitly helps define one's motivation from setting to setting.

When I re-read this thread, I now remember what issues sparked it. Basically at the time I believe people were upset that it seemed the Realms were losing it's flavor. The fact that 4E books were setting neutral and provided ways of bringing in a multitude of races not previously seen in FR was seen as a bad thing. For example the possible inclusion of Warforged or even Mul (originally Dark Sun) were viewed as directly NOT-Fogotten Realms and thus had no real place in the setting. This then made me think "Well what does make characters more Realms-ish?"

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:33:05  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I still use and play 3E/PF and use the Realms setting a lot so I thank you for bringing them up. I'll have to find copies of them or maybe purchace a PDF somewhere.

This also brought up the Class Chronicles Eytan did a few years back that brought classes outside Core into the Realms like the Tome of Battle classes, Complete Book classes and so forth. They're very interesting and definitly helps define one's motivation from setting to setting.

When I re-read this thread, I now remember what issues sparked it. Basically at the time I believe people were upset that it seemed the Realms were losing it's flavor. The fact that 4E books were setting neutral and provided ways of bringing in a multitude of races not previously seen in FR was seen as a bad thing. For example the possible inclusion of Warforged or even Mul (originally Dark Sun) were viewed as directly NOT-Fogotten Realms and thus had no real place in the setting. This then made me think "Well what does make characters more Realms-ish?"

The ones I mentioned, they look (and were bound) in exactly the same format as the 2E "Complete Book of..." series. I think they were all released around the same time, if that helps any. I know they're kinda old, but I loved those for the nitty gritty regional detail. It would tell you exactly how a Cormyr warrior differed from a Sembian or Dales warrior, along with benefits/proficiencies.

By 3E, they'd really just pared them down to that table of regional mechanical differences, and possible feats to take. So all that comparative fluff from the 2E books was pure gold.

When I really think of what makes a PC or NPC "Realmsian", it's the deep "fluffy" lore found in books like those. Or old Dungeon and Polyhedron articles, those are way cool too. They offered a kind of guide to flavor, which -actually- we're getting more of in 4E than we did in 3E... at least, that's my impression from the limited amount of stuff I've read in 4E.

Edit: it also occurs to me that most "Realms fluff" in 4E has been through DDI rather than the old freebie online FR articles offered during 2E-3E. Those who don't have access to DDI may not even be able to see new fluff. The only reason I have is because I know someone that still gets DDI and he brings printouts to group. And I peek at his new books from time to time. Quite a lot of the "new" 4E fluff/flavor is also just old 2E stuff that's been "updated" with an injection of spellplague or switched from humans to genasi, which might make some of us old grognards a little crotchety.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 14 Oct 2011 14:43:14
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:44:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

How wonderfully hilarious

I agree with Diffan about the Substitution levels, Regional feats, and Languages. I also think that the DM has a responsibility to incorporate as much history and background infomation as possible to get that "Realms" feel in the gameplay.

(Time for a drink I think... and some violence )

lol

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:54:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The ones I mentioned, they look (and were bound) in exactly the same format as the 2E "Complete Book of..." series. I think they were all released around the same time, if that helps any. I know they're kinda old, but I loved those for the nitty gritty regional detail. It would tell you exactly how a Cormyr warrior differed from a Sembian or Dales warrior, along with benefits/proficiencies.

By 3E, they'd really just pared them down to that table of regional mechanical differences, and possible feats to take. So all that comparative fluff from the 2E books was pure gold.

Well if Amazon doesn't have any or I can't find them on E-Bay or Half-Price Books I'm sure one of my friends has old 2E stuff he can lend me that I could photo-copy and put into a binder.

quote:

When I really think of what makes a PC or NPC "Realmsian", it's the deep "fluffy" lore found in books like those. Or old Dungeon and Polyhedron articles, those are way cool too. They offered a kind of guide to flavor, which -actually- we're getting more of in 4E than we did in 3E... at least, that's my impression from the limited amount of stuff I've read in 4E.

Edit: it also occurs to me that most "Realms fluff" in 4E has been through DDI rather than the old freebie online FR articles offered during 2E-3E. Those who don't have access to DDI may not even be able to see new fluff. The only reason I have is because I know someone that still gets DDI and he brings printouts to group. And I peek at his new books from time to time. Quite a lot of the "new" 4E fluff/flavor is also just old 2E stuff that's been "updated" with an injection of spellplague or switched from humans to genasi, which might make some of us old grognards a little crotchety.

Yea we've seen a lot more Realms stuff as of late in the DDI and it's been pretty exciting that the setting is getting the attention it deserves. I'm having trouble deciding if I should get the Neverwinter Campaign Guide or one of the Board Games I've heard so many positive reviews about.

Also, this month we're getting all sorts of Kara-Tur info in Dragon and it's pretty interesting. They have kept references to the Realms sorta lite to make it more accessable to those not familiar with or don't like playin in the Realms but it's Kara-Tur, so of course everything in there is directly related to FR.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  00:44:55  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."

Let's be fair, they probably would fold it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2011 :  16:49:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2E Realms had a plethora of supplements like "Wizards and Rogues of the Realms" that detailed various adaptations you'd make to stats and such - based on the character's background.
Yes. Spellsinger/spelldancer, for example. It was better off as a kit using, in AD&D 2.5 terms, a special thaumaturgy school. As a prestige class it's much less meaningful.

quote:

Sadly, it's a trade-off between model flaws more than virtues.
Kits as such are comprehensive, but constrained: they are supposed to set current overall status, not the path of development. Thus, unwieldy for characters with more dynamic careers.
Feats as such is a fugly arbitrary element aimed at "balancing" and somewhat patching the skill rank inflation plaguing d20. Separating "yes/no" qualities from gradually advancing doesn't relate to anything in-'verse. It works in CRPG, but inconvenient for trying to formalize more "living" characters.
"Substitution levels" merely allow to make level progression slightly less inflexible. As in, circumventing a part of the problem which should not be here in the first place.

If the purpose is to deeply root char sheets in the setting without creating artificial troubles, a good option is a character point system (PO:S&P is almost good enough) used neither as freeform nor to make new custom classes, but controlled through layers of profiles giving access to specific features - according to the setting and circumstances.
We know that Neverwinter wizard guild requires and teaches one set of skills and traits, Ravens Bluff wizard guild another, and private mentors are much, much quirkier than that.
So in a simple case you could end up with a basic set refined by three consecutive filters: Generic wizard -> Transmuter & Waterdhavian wizard -> Kappiyan Flurmastyr's apprentice. This is easily formalized and gives clear guidelines without standing in the way every time something needs to be customized.
For NPC, it can easily define a lot about a character from background. For PC, it can enforce the link with setting and specific circumstances to a desired degree while leaving enough freedom to not make a character unreasonably pre-defined.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  08:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, this month we're getting all sorts of Kara-Tur info in Dragon and it's pretty interesting. They have kept references to the Realms sorta lite to make it more accessable to those not familiar with or don't like playin in the Realms but it's Kara-Tur, so of course everything in there is directly related to FR.

Not to mention a new Menzoberranzan book: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?603566-August-2012-Menzoberranzan-City-of-Intrigue

Although it looks like its a ways off.

Edited by - Ozreth on 28 Nov 2011 08:24:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000