Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Does mastery of psionics grant one an edge to....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2011 :  10:22:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

....be a better time-manipulator? Bending, twisting, molding time to one’s will requires high level of mental discipline. Some can go insane if they happen to overreach. Generally, psionicists are far better in the discipline of the mind than common mages, or at times, even better than archmages themselves. I know that the art of divination also requires relatively high mental discipline. However, if we look closer, they do not exactly affect any time frames that they happen to glimpse or explore. What they accomplish is that they see possible futures, or some fixed, unchangeable pasts. Although, that in itself is no meager feat. Psionics on the other hand, makes use of the mind to affect reality directly, albeit that reality is limited to the present. So in terms of the level and utilization of mental discipline, I’d say psionics is rather superior.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 15 Nov 2011 04:47:48

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  05:14:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall the specifics, but I think part of Bruce Cordell's Hyperconscious tome dealt with this very topic.

It may have been a PrC... that allows the psionicist to develop skills which can effectively manipulate how others perceive -- albeit mentally -- the flow of time from their own perspectives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  15:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I can't recall the specifics, but I think part of Bruce Cordell's Hyperconscious tome dealt with this very topic.

It may have been a PrC... that allows the psionicist to develop skills which can effectively manipulate how others perceive -- albeit mentally -- the flow of time from their own perspectives.

What's Hyperconscious and where can I find it?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  23:57:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See here:- http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=849&it=1

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2011 :  09:46:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I bought it, together with Mindscapes and If Thoughts Could Kill, from a second-hand bookstore. For near mint condition books, they're rather very cheap.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2011 :  16:10:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Dennis, according to Ed, in the Realms, the answer to your question has to be "yes and no."
Here's his take on it:

Yes, psonics does grant one an edge in any mental discipline. However, just as psionic ability is an aptitude some individuals have and some don't, and some are very gifted at while others aren't, so too is the ability to wield Art (magic) . . . and so too is the ability to "come to grips with" time.
One of the reasons time travel and time manipulation is so rare in the Realms: almost no one can do it. Even among the gods.
That's the way I wanted it, when creating the Realms, and that's certainly the way TSR wanted it. Some designers have toyed with chronomancy since, but such dabblings have always been low-key and limited in scope; the main design teams have always realized that once time-shifting (except stasis, and into the future, with no "going back" allowed) is part of any fantasy setting, heroic achievements go out the window. Why fight a dragon when you can just go back in time and stamp on its egg so it never was? Yes, paradoxes galore - - but you're inviting them by the very act of allowing travel back in time.
So: no. Sorry, but flat no. You can do a time-travel fantasy or sf campaign, but not in the Realms.

So saith Ed. Who created the sandbox we all play in, here.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  14:41:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

People change. The world changes. Ideas evolve. One day, I hope, the treatment of time-traveling in the Realms would change...

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  14:55:50  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My last DM (a close friend) last ran us in his game where the main nemesis was a time mage. To this day, I'm not sure he knew what he was going to get into by having a time mage be our primary adversary. It didn't turn out well; the campaign or the experience. It ended up being too much of a DM foil to any plans we'd try and execute, well, because he was a time mage, and that allowed him certain insights into possible actions that could be taken against him. It was all just very awkward and not something I'll never do when I DM.

That said, I do allow time manipulation magics to exist, simple spells and effects such as haste or time stop that temporarily allow the bending of time to aid one's position in a battle. These types of time manipulations are fine to me as long as they remain simple, short term, and finite with definitive expiration dates on the effects they give. Anything more, where paradoxes and confusing chrono-consequences begin to show their ugly faces, is the point where chronomagic has overstepped its utility.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana

Edited by - Varl on 30 Nov 2011 14:56:57
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  15:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you can do a fair amount of time travel in the Realms at the moment, you just have to be subtle about it, and pick your moments. I'm mulling over a campaign at the moment where the PC's are "lore thieves," time travellers who go back in time to right before disasters and try to pull out as much as they can before everything goes boom. I'm looking at Uvaeren as a good target, and either using Chronomancer or the time portals from the Netheril box set.

The trick is changing time without leaving traces. Like going back to the Library of Alexandria and pulling scrolls off the shelves in the back, while in the front people are setting it on fire. No one notices that some of it is missing, until you turn up in the present and "discover" it.

I think you could do quite a bit with that sort of "lore thief" idea.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  15:37:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Indeed. Needless to say, the effects of time-travel (to the present) in that scenario would depend on the kind of information from the stolen scrolls. If the said scrolls contain something like The Leaves of One Night or Vhostym's notes on how to make a Weave Tap, then I say the effects to history itself would be quite...significant, specially if they fall on the wrong (or even the right) hands.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000