Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who are the best weapons makers in the realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  03:30:35  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Elves, Dwarves, or Humans?

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  03:47:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that depends on what type of weapon you are looking for. ;)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  03:59:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Swords= elves and humans
Arrows= elves
Hammers= dwarves
Darkswords= the Shadovar (because no one else makes them. Haha)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:26:56  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Swords= elves and humans
Arrows= elves
Hammers= dwarves
Darkswords= the Shadovar (because no one else makes them. Haha)

I'd add Silver Swords to the Githyanki for the same reason?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:30:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Catapults= humans [Do elves or dwarves make them as well?]

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:32:04  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't think dwarves can use catapults.... under mountains... they just bash their heads against a door, and the elves... well why use a catapult when you can just simply hit anything with a bow

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked

Edited by - Thelonius on 11 Sep 2011 12:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:40:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:

[...] and the elves... well why use a catapult when you can just simply hit anything with a bow

For the obvious reason that one firing of it does more damage than a score of arrows.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:49:52  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:

[...] and the elves... well why use a catapult when you can just simply hit anything with a bow

For the obvious reason that one firing of it does more damage than a score of arrows.

Elves like precission not damage tsk tsk

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:51:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who said catapults don't involve precision?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  13:48:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the question is about the Realms, I submit the best weapon makers are basically those who best wield magic.

It's pretty hard to find much better than elfblades and moonblades, basically the pinnacle of Elven High Magic weapons technology. Only three elfblades were made, that I know of. Somehow I understand only nine moonblades were ever made, although I really don't know, there might in fact be many of them.

Many of the "best" weapon-type artifacts of the Realms those of elven, human, and even dragon manufacture. Dwarves seem to be known more for their armor technologies.

[Edit: I'm personally quite partial towards the (psionic) silver swords manufactured by the Gith races.]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Sep 2011 13:53:44
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  13:52:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you make magic as the basis for "best," then the award would have to go to the Netherese and the Imaskari. While they were not combative in nature, their various magical items were as destructive as thousands of rampaging earth and fire elementals.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  13:56:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, even a humble staff of the magi can be far more powerful and destructive than any mere blade or bow.

I recall it being said somewhere that Tempus (or at least his avatar) is specialized in every weapon ever invented for war, and in fact even carries at least one of each weapon somewhere on his person. Not sure how you'd hang an artillery piece from your belt or fit a siege tower in your backpack. "Hey, is that a catapult in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Sep 2011 14:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  14:30:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Well, even a humble staff of the magi can be far more powerful and destructive than any mere blade or bow.

Indeed. That's precisely one of the many reasons I prefer wizards to fighters.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  16:23:15  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Who said catapults don't involve precision?

They not as stylish as bows
quote:

Yup but remember that sweapons enchantment depends on how well crafted they are; or at least I always thought that. So the best the backsmith is the strongest the enchantments on the weapon might be and the more powerful the weapon itself is. Of course when refering to staves we can just look for some magic wood

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  16:46:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I feel each race has a proficiency towards specific weapons of choice (elves love bows, dwarves love axes), Dwarves probably make an overall better quality of weapons. That is, on the whole as I think they'd be more willing to trade on the open market with other races. So out of say...100 swords they make 15-20 of them would be of exceptional quality and craftsmanship.

I feel Elves tend to make signature-quality weapons, meaning that out of 100 swords 1 or 2 would be fantastic in their quality while the others would be no better or worse than that of a common blade from any smithy. Besides, elves are more prone to use exotic materials such as Glassteel and Mithral than common Iron Ore.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  16:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recall it being said somewhere that Tempus (or at least his avatar) is specialized in every weapon ever invented for war, and in fact even carries at least one of each weapon somewhere on his person. Not sure how you'd hang an artillery piece from your belt or fit a siege tower in your backpack.

You'd need a very big Bag of Holding.

quote:

"Hey, is that a catapult in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  17:08:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a story (somewhere... probably in The Great Glacier)) of Arctic Dwarves 'stealing' a Giantish catapult (IIRC - it may have been a ballista).

Not sure what to make of that - I wold think giants wouldn't need something like that (being living siege-engines themselves). Those dwarves were more primitive then most, having 'lost' a LOT of their tech.

There are instances in-source of Dwarves having large siege engines: MANY Dwarven citadels have some sort of 'surface presence', the most notable of which would be Citadel Adbar and the Great Rift. Also, they are known to inhabit massive caverns, which would allow for defensive catapults.

The Island Nations of Kara-Tur are known for their exceptional swords (Katana, etc). Cormyr is also known for high-quality weapons of all sorts, including bows and arrows (see Crusade).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  09:35:18  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wold think giants wouldn't need something like that (being living siege-engines themselves).

Yeah but those catapults would fit their size not those of dwarves or humans. So for any smaller race it would seem like shooting mountains araound
Go to Top of Page

Salacar
Acolyte

Denmark
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  10:06:42  Show Profile Send Salacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
The Island Nations of Kara-Tur are known for their exceptional swords (Katana, etc).

The master swordsmiths of Wa create without a doubt some of the strongest and finest swords in the world, using their method of folding the blade. (Called the Hundred Folding or some such)
As a matter of quality, every single katane made is the equivelant of a masterworked sword anywhere else in the world.
This easily makes the human smiths of Wa the masters in the art of crafting swords.

Edited by - Salacar on 12 Sep 2011 10:07:41
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  12:10:43  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chultan dwarves make weapons as sharp as diamond (+2 to damage) and they don't need to be sharpened.
Additionally smiths of Melvaunt, Tegal Swordsmiths from Tasseldale and Taerom from Beregost are good too.

Edited by - Marc on 12 Sep 2011 12:13:07
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  01:40:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Thayvian bombards and all those dangerous smokepowder weapons crafted by Lantan Gondsmen.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  02:36:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't forget Thayvian bombards and all those dangerous smokepowder weapons crafted by Lantan Gondsmen.

In terms of weapons artifice and smokepowder weapons, I'll note that both DUNGEON #191 ["Gond's Way"] and DUNGEON #194 ["The Crafthouse of Inspiration"] feature articles briefly alluding to further insights into Gondsmen weaponsmithing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  04:13:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to the silver blades of the Githyanki/Githzerai, katana-like blades of exotic Kara-Tur, and all manner of blades (and bladesmithing) imported from other worlds and planes:

The dwarven clans of Mithril Hall, Mirabar, and other strongholds throughout the North still produce arms (mostly axes) of mithril, silver, platinum, and adamantine said to be "unchallenged as the best found anywhere in Faerūn".

Blades of Qudran steel are exceptionally fine, and Hiyal steel is even better; both are "prized as the finest available throughout [Zakhara], without equal in any other land", seemingly modelled after what we call Damascus steel.

The infamous adamantite weapons of the drow are legendary, at least until exposed to the surface world.

Avariel blades and spears forged of glassteel are said to be "elegant and sharp beyond compare".

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 13 Sep 2011 04:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  12:31:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Constructs are also considered weapons, right? Humans are the ones who make the best constructs. Elves, it appears, rarely make them. Quite understandable, since they prefer to deal with "living" things. They'd rather have a live bird as a messenger [or rumormonger] than a metallic one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  16:39:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Constructs are also considered weapons, right?
They are, or, rather, were, on Eberron. The warforged* were largely considered the property of whatever army paid for their creation. It wasn't until the Treaty of Thornhold that ended the Last War, recognised the fact that the warforged possessed [according to some] living souls, that they should be treated as free and sentient beings.

* -- being a unique example

Of course, since the warforged are not strictly a Realms-based race of constructs, the concept probably doesn't apply as well. Though, I'd imagine the constructs the Raumathar built for war were among some of the finest examples of their type in the history of the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  16:53:46  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Constructs are also considered weapons, right?
They are, or, rather, were, on Eberron. The warforged* were largely considered the property of whatever army paid for their creation. It wasn't until the Treaty of Thornhold that ended the Last War, recognised the fact that the warforged possessed [according to some] living souls, that they should be treated as free and sentient beings.

* -- being a unique example

Of course, since the warforged are not strictly a Realms-based race of constructs, the concept probably doesn't apply as well. Though, I'd imagine the constructs the Raumathar built for war were among some of the finest examples of their type in the history of the Realms.

The Warforged are a example in DnD, but in Dragon Age, golems also require a living soul (usually dwarven) to function; in fact part of the plot goes about that matter and the ethical it is.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  17:08:10  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread makes me think of the Baneblades of Demron, which are some of the most powerful swords Myth Drannor produced. Heck, 3 of them were made to actually replace 2 of the lost Elfblades (though to be fair, they don't even compare in power). They are made of the conjoint effort of 4 races, elves for the hilts, dwarves for the blades, halfling for the scabards and humans for the enchantments.

Off-topic: Dragon Age has the best lore for golem IMO, as Thelonius pointed above. The dwarf part of the story is so full of grey area (in terms of alignment, not dungeon colors!), I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  02:20:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may be a question for Ed, but I wonder which individuals, past and present, are considered to be the greatest weapon-smiths of the Realms?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  01:31:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since the question is about the Realms, I submit the best weapon makers are basically those who best wield magic.

It's pretty hard to find much better than elfblades and moonblades, basically the pinnacle of Elven High Magic weapons technology. Only three elfblades were made, that I know of. Somehow I understand only nine moonblades were ever made, although I really don't know, there might in fact be many of them.

Many of the "best" weapon-type artifacts of the Realms those of elven, human, and even dragon manufacture. Dwarves seem to be known more for their armor technologies.

[Edit: I'm personally quite partial towards the (psionic) silver swords manufactured by the Gith races.]

Actually, there were originally 300 Moonblades created, but most have gone dormant or dead altogether as the elven families they were made for died out or had no "worthy" heirs alive to wield them as of the "present" time (meaning 1360's Realms) There are presently 25 Moonblades still active- Arilyn has one, and Amlaruil, Queen of Evermeet has the "Kingblade"- the one Moonblade that was chosen as "ruler" of all others.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  03:29:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting data about moonblades, Alystra, thanx.

What exactly happens to "unworthy" moonblades? Do they degrade to lesser magical swords? Or simply lose all enchantment and revert to fancy nonmagical swords? Do they somehow become unforged, melt into goo, explode, or shatter?

It seems odd, to me, that Arilyn's moonblade would continue to function once the selection process determined the one (there can be only one...) supreme kingblade, unless perhaps the original enchantment were altered through some unusual agency.

Do any of the moonblades possess sentience?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  05:24:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting data about moonblades, Alystra, thanx.

What exactly happens to "unworthy" moonblades? Do they degrade to lesser magical swords? Or simply lose all enchantment and revert to fancy nonmagical swords? Do they somehow become unforged, melt into goo, explode, or shatter?

It seems odd, to me, that Arilyn's moonblade would continue to function once the selection process determined the one (there can be only one...) supreme kingblade, unless perhaps the original enchantment were altered through some unusual agency.

Do any of the moonblades possess sentience?

Darkmoon, the Starym moonblade, does. Don't know about any of the others, but it's not unreasonable to assume another might have become sentient.

And though the selection process has ended, it doesn't mean the need for the blades has ended. There could be some hidden agenda we don't know about, or it could be something as simple as continue serving the elven people...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000