Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms Short Fiction....I'd buy that for a dollar!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  16:57:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would love to see a monthly ( bi- monthly even better!), short realms story. 1500- 10000 words or so. 99 cents in e format of some type. If I were in charge for a day...I would find a wat to let the authors self- publish on amazon and allow them too reel all profit.
Why would wotc do that or what's in it for them? Free publicity. Each story could be tied to something already written and being released as an e-book or new novels, and then a sample chaper or two would be included. As well as links to purchase.

This would allow small tales to be told from all eras. For instance, an Elminster book from the past gets e-released and we could have a 99 cent short telling us just what's up with his pipe?
Or how about a tale of Matteo and Tsigone.....with samples from councilors and king trilogy e-books?
Maybe find out what Telemont was up to when Shade was slipping into shadow?

Stories tied to future stories and releases are endless.

Fans win.

Authors win.

Publishers win.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  17:32:31  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as the stories were canon....I'd love this idea! ePublishing has so much potential.

Edited by - Seravin on 25 Oct 2011 19:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  18:15:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  18:24:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

As long as the stories were cannon....I'd love this idea! ePublishing has so much potential.

Yeah that's why I didn't want to mention this in my other scroll and clutter two separate issues.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  18:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why the canonical thing is so significant. Does it make the story more or less enjoyable, if it's thought to be "canon" or not?

Also, I highly support this idea. I would overlap it with DDI, so if you subscribe to DDI you get the story for free.

Authors self-publishing FR short stories (or anything in a company-owned IP) would be tricky, legally. What you'd have to get is WotC's buy-in and oversight, which means it'd have to be worth their while. Would they make enough from it monthly (or weekly) to justify putting one of their few editors on it?

Myself, I would love to see one new FR story every week, from a shifting catalogue of writers. The writers would have to make some coin from it, as they're working people who need to be paid for what they do.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  19:05:38  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canon makes it more enjoyable to me...otherwise my brain treats it like fan-fic. I wish it weren't so, I agree it's not strictly logical that this should make it more enjoyable (but remember, you're talking to a board of rabid fans who cross reference with hundreds of source books). If Ed and/or WoTC or TSR or whoever it is seals it with the canon stamp, I feel validated in reading it and calling it part of the Realms library and yes, it makes it more enjoyable to me and worth paying for.

Just my two coppers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  19:18:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not sure why the canonical thing is so significant. Does it make the story more or less enjoyable, if it's thought to be "canon" or not?

For me, canon is also important. In any shared setting, whether it's a movie universe (like Star Wars), an RPG setting (like the Realms), or something else, I enjoy most the stories that move the timeline forward, even if such stories are small in scale. I have no interest in something that doesn't move the setting, because as I said in another thread recently, if fiction isn't moving the setting forward, then it feels stagnant to me -- and an unchanging setting is of no interest to me.

quote:

Also, I highly support this idea. I would overlap it with DDI, so if you subscribe to DDI you get the story for free.

Not a bad plan, but I still favor an approach that lets me buy individual articles/stories. If I have to pay for things I don't want, as in the current setup, then I'll keep my money.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  19:30:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

FR authors self-publishing FR stories? While I like the idea, Red, [the more that's written about my favorite characters and realms, the better] as Eric noted, it would be quite tricky, almost certainly impossible.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not a bad plan, but I still favor an approach that lets me buy individual articles/stories. If I have to pay for things I don't want, as in the current setup, then I'll keep my money.

Well, what I'm saying is that they'd do BOTH. You could get the stories for individual download fees on Amazon, or--if you're a DDI subscriber--you can get them "free" at Wizards (included in the cost of DDI).

One would have to run the numbers to see if that would be advantageous, but it's just an idea. The main question is whether it would bring people into DDI.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

FR authors self-publishing FR stories? While I like the idea, Red, [the more that's written about my favorite characters and realms, the better] as Eric noted, it would be quite tricky, almost certainly impossible.
Well, with WotC's buy-in, you could definitely do something like this. It would just take a little editing on their part, which they get compensated for out of the cost of the story.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 26 Oct 2011 17:01:33
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  19:40:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my mind, having everything published chained to canon only assures a future rest again as I have read or heard several people already complaining about all the uberpowerful characters popping up all over 4e. I think it's just as wrong an argument as before, but that's why that part is for another scroll. I just want to see how much support we can drum up for this type of thing and see if we get the publishers attention.

Saying it would stagnate the setting would imply history is unimportant or uninteresting. Valid opinion I guess, but myself I want more worries. Past, present and future.

How does understanding the realms past not advance it's future?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Oct 2011 19:41:30
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  20:02:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see WotC allowing writers to self-published Realms stories. In all candor, I'd hate to see that, myself, especially if some writers took it upon themselves to fill in the gaps on characters other writers created or wrote extensively about. I don't want someone else deciding what happened to Danilo during the Spellplague, and I don't want to read anyone else's version of Drizzt as a young drow. From just about any way you look at it, this would be a steep, slippery slope. Editorial oversight, especially for continuity, is vital.

If Wizards decided that direct-to-digital short fiction was worthwhile and assigned an editor to the project, I'd be all for it.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  20:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I don't see WotC allowing writers to self-published Realms stories. In all candor, I'd hate to see that, myself, especially if some writers took it upon themselves to fill in the gaps on characters other writers created or wrote extensively about. I don't want someone else deciding what happened to Danilo during the Spellplague, and I don't want to read anyone else's version of Drizzt as a young drow. From just about any way you look at it, this would be a steep, slippery slope. Editorial oversight, especially for continuity, is vital.
Talk about nightmare scenario! If anyone purposefully did that, it would be a huge transgression in professional courtesy and respect, both for the author and for the fan.

quote:
If Wizards decided that direct-to-digital short fiction was worthwhile and assigned an editor to the project, I'd be all for it.

100% agreement.

I would advocate writers write the stories, send them to Wizards, and Wizards publishes them, business as usual. Aside from editing, formatting, and continuity benefits, the legal protection is as much for WotC's benefit as our own.

If you're self-publishing in your own IP, then that's totally fine, obviously. More than fine.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  20:53:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agree 100%

I must admit, the self publish part, I only threw out trying to find a way to make sure my friends (authors) are compensated as highly as possible.....hey, I'm biased!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Oct 2011 20:57:03
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  21:57:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Agree 100%

I must admit, the self publish part, I only threw out trying to find a way to make sure my friends (authors) are compensated as highly as possible.....hey, I'm biased!

Thanks for the thought, but any FR writer who self-published a Realms story for profit would be in OMG FLAGRANT violation of contract terms and copyright. Such a person should be scorned, censored, and forced to listen to 90's boy bands.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  22:06:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree 100%

Thanks for the thought, but any FR writer who self-published a Realms story for profit would be in OMG FLAGRANT violation of contract terms and copyright. Such a person should be scorned, censored, and forced to listen to 90's boy bands.

Isn't that the exact definition of one of the layers of the Nine Hells??

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  22:07:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Suddenly, the Backstreet Boys "Bye Bye Bye" takes on a different meaning.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  22:21:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

I think it's really scary that i actually know that "Bye Bye Bye" is, in fact, an Nsync song

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  22:24:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree 100%

Yeah, I didn't articulate my thoughts on that well. I never meant to circumvent the publisher......I meant some plan they allowed and participated in.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  02:34:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Personally, I would say it's dependent upon the focus and purpose of the individual story.

After all, there are ways for writers to tell great and romping tales of Realms adventure that pay little heed to established canon. They simply choose not to violate continuity by they either focusing on new characters and/or locations [much like RAS did with his earliest Realms tales], or simply brush softly against the limits of Realms canon -- bending, rather than breaking outright, what most readers would accept.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  14:50:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WoTC would definitely have to monitor and approve any stories that would fall into this category. Personally i would not like to see some random author writing about characters whom another author has all ready established.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  17:04:09  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

I think it's really scary that i actually know that "Bye Bye Bye" is, in fact, an Nsync song

Heh, I just put them all in a big group.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  15:14:08  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always a fan of anything that = more short stories. I do like Erik's overlapping with DDI idea, at the same time I'd probably just accumulate them and never read them unless they were also bundled together in an e-collection at the end of the year (assuming a monthly thing, and then a 12 pack put together in December or something), because I'm too scatterbrained like that. But yeah, I'd buy that (and eventually read it).

As far as the canon argument, non-canon is either 1) too jarring in its inconsistencies compared to other things and tends to detract from the story for me, regardless of how enjoyable it might have been up until that point or 2) too jarring if it's the initial characterization/historical/geographical details that I become familiar, and the reverse of 1 happens. Not to say that this means various authors shouldn't different interpretations and portray people/places/events in slightly different lights, because that would be ridiculous. But some kind of continuity is important.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  23:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 12 pack for, say, $8-$10 at the end of the year would be pretty neat.

I haven't seen a "Realms of XXX" anthology for a long time. This could be its rebirth?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  00:12:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't seen a "Realms of XXX" anthology for a long time. This could be its rebirth?

Cheers

Hmmm, Realms of XXX... That could sell well, I think!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  00:54:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Jocularity aside, I'm almost intrigued by this concept.

Not in any sort of perverted way, of course, but an scholarly examination -- through the fiction -- of the seedy underbellies of many of the less-visited Realms locales, would be something I'd find particularly interesting.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  04:27:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The name that's been bandied about for years for projects of this nature is "The Forbidden Realms." :)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  14:21:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Storm Silverhand would probably make an appearance in that one

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  16:43:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

I'd like to see Riven, Rivalen, and Gaedyn.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  19:48:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh, point to the hamster.

And having written at least one "Realms of XXX" story (featuring three of my favorite characters and one particularly risque game), I can certainly attest to the awesome.

On that note . . .

[doom]I wonder how much FR slash-fic is out there? Hmm . . . [/doom]

quote:

You mean every story featuring her isn't already that?

quote:

Now there's an image. Sword and sorcery to the max.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  20:42:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ooh, point to the hamster.

And having written at least one "Realms of XXX" story (featuring three of my favorite characters and one particularly risque game), I can certainly attest to the awesome.

On that note . . .

quote:

You mean every story featuring her isn't already that?

quote:

Now there's an image. Sword and sorcery to the max.

Cheers

I just hope Storm has easy access to a Cure Disease spell

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  02:43:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On that note . . .

I'm curious as to how you'd define slash-fic for the Realms, Erik?

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Oct 2011 06:44:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000