Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms Short Fiction....I'd buy that for a dollar!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Oct 2011 : 16:57:47
I would love to see a monthly ( bi- monthly even better!), short realms story. 1500- 10000 words or so. 99 cents in e format of some type. If I were in charge for a day...I would find a wat to let the authors self- publish on amazon and allow them too reel all profit.
Why would wotc do that or what's in it for them? Free publicity. Each story could be tied to something already written and being released as an e-book or new novels, and then a sample chaper or two would be included. As well as links to purchase.

This would allow small tales to be told from all eras. For instance, an Elminster book from the past gets e-released and we could have a 99 cent short telling us just what's up with his pipe?
Or how about a tale of Matteo and Tsigone.....with samples from councilors and king trilogy e-books?
Maybe find out what Telemont was up to when Shade was slipping into shadow?

Stories tied to future stories and releases are endless.

Fans win.

Authors win.

Publishers win.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Nov 2011 : 12:56:03
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to mention that Kalen may or may not be carrying around an artifact called Vindicator, a sword once wielded by the god Helm.
This makes me wonder about the full story behind Betrayal now. Thanks Erik.
quote:
But on the topic of Realms short fiction, you might see stories from me like "How did Kalen get his spellscar?", "What really happened in Cythara's cave?" (Myrin's flashback from Downshadow), "How did Ilira (i.e. Fox-at-Twilight) get HER spellscar?", "What's up with Myrin's blue hair?", etc., etc. (OK, maybe not that last one.)
I'll take one of each. Especially that Ilira premise. Though, I'm also intrigued by the Kalen/spellscar idea as well.

Yep, we must know how Gargan(sp?) became her " shadow"!
The Sage Posted - 03 Nov 2011 : 00:22:54
quote:

Not to mention that Kalen may or may not be carrying around an artifact called Vindicator, a sword once wielded by the god Helm.
This makes me wonder about the full story behind Betrayal now. Thanks Erik.
quote:
But on the topic of Realms short fiction, you might see stories from me like "How did Kalen get his spellscar?", "What really happened in Cythara's cave?" (Myrin's flashback from Downshadow), "How did Ilira (i.e. Fox-at-Twilight) get HER spellscar?", "What's up with Myrin's blue hair?", etc., etc. (OK, maybe not that last one.)
I'll take one of each. Especially that Ilira premise. Though, I'm also intrigued by the Kalen/spellscar idea as well.
The Red Walker Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 18:51:15
quote:

Like a combination? Some stories tie into existing series, some are completely stand-alone? This way, you can avoid tie-ins to series you aren't interested in, but gives you the option to try out series you haven't checked out yet?

For instance, you might have a stand-alone from Rosemary the next month, then a Shadowbane-related story from me the next, then an untold Brotherhood of the Griffon story from RLB, then a Storm Silverhand romp from Ed, then a Godborn-tied story from Paul, etc.

And would you consider a story that ties into a standalone novel? Say Rosemary writes a City of the Dead tie-in, or I publish my Ghostwalker origin story. Etc.?

Cheers

Ok, I want those all. One a week

And since we are in my scroll, gimme that Ghostwalker origin story!

Tie in to series, or stand alones. Original stories. And all of the above set in past, present and future.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 18:46:04
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I didn't mean for my list to seem personally directed at you, I was just answering generally.
Heh. It's just funny, because looking at your list, I have an (admittedly badass) genasi in Shadowbane, a deva (moderately important character) and a dragonborn (minor character) in Eye of Justice.

Also, all of my current principle characters (Kalen, Myrin, and eventually ________) are spellscarred.

That said, I like what you're saying about the focus. I don't play up the unique races and powers for their own sake--they always take a backseat to the story that I'm writing. (At least, that's what I go for, anyway.)

Those would be examples of stories I would tell that tie into a series I'm writing, but are also just cool Realms stories that don't require you to have much outside knowledge. (Though it you do, it deepens the experience.)

Or connections to other things, like "Ghostwalker Begins" (about how the ghostwalker got his powers), or "Shades invade Negarath" (about a party of shades getting trapped, Saw 2 style, in the Depths of Madness), or "The Lion of Luruar" (about Arya after the events of Ghostwalker).

Would that be the sort of thing you'd want to read?

Cheers
Therise Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 17:34:00
quote:
@Therise: I'm personally very sorry, then, as my books feature a lot of those things you mentioned not liking (though "spellplague mutant superpowers" is, IMO, something of an exaggeration--it's just another source of magical power, like any other). I think at the CORE my stories are fairly simple, ignoring the fancy trappings. My main characters tend to be humans, elves, or half-elves, and they tend to wield swords and sorcery to accomplish their aims. Classic fantasy with a little variety for those looking for what's new and cool.

I can certainly understand if you don't pick up my work, of course.

I wouldn't say that your books (which I have enjoyed) have any of the serious offenders on my list. Definitely you don't use spellscars/spellplague in the way that certain other authors have. You concentrate on character development first, and that for me is the most essential thing in good writing. A few other authors have concentrated on special powers, or the items a character has, or the unique race qualities of their main character, but this isn't something I'd attribute at all to your writing.

In other words, some Realms books showcase "gimmicky" stuff. Yours do not.

I feel like I have a good handle on Fox as a person, even though she still has a lot of secrets. With other authors: Cale, I first remember his relationships with Jak and Riven; Drizzt, I first remember his angst and his love for Catti-brie and the others; Elminster and the Chosen, I remember first their love for each other and their hardships; Liriel, I remember first her difficulty in learning to truly love Fyodor.

Powers, magic swords, etc. are all a huge thematic part of the Realms and fantasy storytelling in general. But relationships, character development, drama and excitement in interesting locales, that's the good stuff for me.

I didn't mean for my list to seem personally directed at you, I was just answering generally.

Dennis Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 07:41:21
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I would never discard an FR book just because it's written by an author whose other novels I dislike. If he writes about the characters or realms dear to me, or practically anything that piques my interest, then I'd gladly pick up his book. Phil Athans and Thomas Reid for example. I was very disappointed with The Watercourse Trilogy and The Fractured Sky, but I did read and in fact liked Annihilation and Insurrection.
That's interesting to me. So you'd say you are more drawn to content, rather than style?

It's like really liking certain flavors of pizza, but not caring so much about the variations in taste between different sources?

In most cases, yes. Same goes to non-FR authors. Brent Weeks's style [for me] is rather amateurish. But I enjoyed how he interweaves his plots and sub-plots and his characters are very well developed.

Some of my favorite authors wrote about chracters and locales I don't really care for, and thus I didn't bother reading those books.

Style matters, but content matters most.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 06:41:56
quote:

I would never discard an FR book just because it's written by an author whose other novels I dislike. If he writes about the characters or realms dear to me, or practically anything that piques my interest, then I'd gladly pick up his book. Phil Athans and Thomas Reid for example. I was very disappointed with The Watercourse Trilogy and The Fractured Sky, but I did read and in fact liked Annihilation and Insurrection.
That's interesting to me. So you'd say you are more drawn to content, rather than style?

It's like really liking certain flavors of pizza, but not caring so much about the variations in taste between different sources?

(Yes, ladies and gents--different power groups of the Realms as pizza toppings. The Zhents are mushrooms, the Thayans Red Wizards, the Shades black olives, etc., etc.)

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 04:39:55

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 04:29:18
@Dennis: Alas in most cases that comes down to resources and diligence on the part of the author, and even if an author does his or her best to "get it right," there are always inconsistencies that are bound to crop up in a shared world. That's just the nature of the beast.

@Therise: I'm personally very sorry, then, as my books feature a lot of those things you mentioned not liking (though "spellplague mutant superpowers" is, IMO, something of an exaggeration--it's just another source of magical power, like any other). I think at the CORE my stories are fairly simple, ignoring the fancy trappings. My main characters tend to be humans, elves, or half-elves, and they tend to wield swords and sorcery to accomplish their aims. Classic fantasy with a little variety for those looking for what's new and cool.

I can certainly understand if you don't pick up my work, of course.

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 04:04:17
quote:

quote:

I would suggest WotC hires someone to oversee the tied-in series, so as to maintain consistency. Some authors may have different understanding and interpretations of the characters, which disappoint [and at times, infuriate] the readers.
Well, WotC probably wouldn't hire someone new. They just don't have the budget for it.

And speaking for myself, I would only use an established character from someone else's book if I could communicate with that author, keep the character somewhat minor, and do my research.

Cheers

I am not sure that's being practiced by FR authors. I can't speak for your books because I haven't (yet) read them. But for some, inconsistencies of the portrayal of the characters and plot-related events are so blatant. I even recall one author said he wasn't informed that someone used one of his "inventions."
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 03:48:20
quote:

quote:

Here's a question: Would you prefer to read stories that tie-in to novel series/events/characters, or would you prefer all-new stories, or something in between?

Cheers

Something in between, really. Because some series/events often feature characters and/or settings that aren't otherwise properly explored in the main books. And I'm often left thinking, I'd love to see/read/learn more of "this minor character" or that "briefly used locale."

Agree with Sage, particularly on that last part -- some of my fave Realms characters have had little or no screen time, like Baelam the Bold.
The Sage Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 00:40:05
quote:

Here's a question: Would you prefer to read stories that tie-in to novel series/events/characters, or would you prefer all-new stories, or something in between?

Cheers

Something in between, really. Because some series/events often feature characters and/or settings that aren't otherwise properly explored in the main books. And I'm often left thinking, I'd love to see/read/learn more of "this minor character" or that "briefly used locale."
Therise Posted - 02 Nov 2011 : 00:30:01
quote:

Cheers

All new novels, with new characters that are NOT devas, dragonborn, genasi, or other "special" races. I prefer humans, elves, dwarves, with classic classes (priest, warrior, mage...). And a trilogy would be great, but nothing super-epic or Realms-shaking. And no Far Realms or Aboleth stuff. And for heavens' sake, no spellscar mutant superpowers or artifacts in the hands of younglings.

Perhaps a human growing up in Amn. Or a story about an elf that's part of the returned-to-Cormanthyr group. Or a dwarf from a more southerly or easterly kingdom. Or a story of a "civilized" orc from Obould's kingdom, making his way around the north. Something on that order. That way, the focus initially isn't locked to the uniqueness of race, but rather to the exploration of a region we haven't seen detailed much.

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 22:32:43
quote:

I would suggest WotC hires someone to oversee the tied-in series, so as to maintain consistency. Some authors may have different understanding and interpretations of the characters, which disappoint [and at times, infuriate] the readers.
Well, WotC probably wouldn't hire someone new. They just don't have the budget for it.

And speaking for myself, I would only use an established character from someone else's book if I could communicate with that author, keep the character somewhat minor, and do my research.

Cheers
DragonReader Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 19:50:49
quote:

Like a combination? Some stories tie into existing series, some are completely stand-alone? This way, you can avoid tie-ins to series you aren't interested in, but gives you the option to try out series you haven't checked out yet?

For instance, you might have a stand-alone from Rosemary the next month, then a Shadowbane-related story from me the next, then an untold Brotherhood of the Griffon story from RLB, then a Storm Silverhand romp from Ed, then a Godborn-tied story from Paul, etc.

And would you consider a story that ties into a standalone novel? Say Rosemary writes a City of the Dead tie-in, or I publish my Ghostwalker origin story. Etc.?

Cheers

Yes to all of the above :)
Dennis Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 17:54:16
quote:

Yes, and I see that's the current practice.

I am so sure I would like to see Drizzt and Telamont in one novel, let alone series.

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 17:18:44

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 16:44:27

Something in between. There are some series I hardly care for.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 16:33:29

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 14:49:50
quote:

Strange. I don't know why SageBrowser corrected that, but I typed slash-fiction, which is an appropriate term anyway. For whatever reason, my homebrew browser altered it to read "slasher-fiction" -- kinda like the auto-correction spelling/grammar system incorporated into the Firefox browser.

Anyways, I'll change the text back to what I originally meant.

Suuurrreee that's what happened.

It was your gremlins.
The Sage Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 06:43:39
Strange. I don't know why SageBrowser corrected that, but I typed slash-fiction, which is an appropriate term anyway. For whatever reason, my homebrew browser altered it to read "slasher-fiction" -- kinda like the auto-correction spelling/grammar system incorporated into the Firefox browser.

Anyways, I'll change the text back to what I originally meant.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 04:36:56
quote:

quote:

On that note . . .

[doom]I wonder how much FR slash-fic is out there? Hmm . . . [/doom]
I'm curious as to how you'd define slasher-fiction for the Realms, Erik?

Not slasher, my friend, slash. Basically, erotic fan fiction. You'd be amazed and frightened by some of what was out there -- I know I was, back when I hung out with a group of people in IRC and one of our hobbies was finding bad slash fiction and giving it the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment. It was in one of those fics we discovered the still-inscrutable euphemism "going to Eastland".
The Sage Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 02:43:29
quote:

On that note . . .

I'm curious as to how you'd define slash-fic for the Realms, Erik?
Artemas Entreri Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 20:42:00
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hmmm, Realms of XXX... That could sell well, I think!

Ooh, point to the hamster.

And having written at least one "Realms of XXX" story (featuring three of my favorite characters and one particularly risque game), I can certainly attest to the awesome.

On that note . . .

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Storm Silverhand would probably make an appearance in that one
You mean every story featuring her isn't already that?

quote:

I'd like to see Riven, Rivalen, and Gaedyn.
Now there's an image. Sword and sorcery to the max.

Cheers

I just hope Storm has easy access to a Cure Disease spell
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 19:48:15
quote:

Ooh, point to the hamster.

And having written at least one "Realms of XXX" story (featuring three of my favorite characters and one particularly risque game), I can certainly attest to the awesome.

On that note . . .

quote:

You mean every story featuring her isn't already that?

quote:

Now there's an image. Sword and sorcery to the max.

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 16:43:35
quote:

quote:

quote:

A 12 pack for, say, $8-$10 at the end of the year would be pretty neat.

I haven't seen a "Realms of XXX" anthology for a long time. This could be its rebirth?

Cheers

Artemas Entreri Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 14:21:29
quote:

quote:

I haven't seen a "Realms of XXX" anthology for a long time. This could be its rebirth?

Cheers

ElaineCunningham Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 04:27:28
The name that's been bandied about for years for projects of this nature is "The Forbidden Realms." :)
The Sage Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 00:54:44
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Jocularity aside, I'm almost intrigued by this concept.

Not in any sort of perverted way, of course, but an scholarly examination -- through the fiction -- of the seedy underbellies of many of the less-visited Realms locales, would be something I'd find particularly interesting.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Oct 2011 : 00:12:13
quote:

Cheers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000