Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why choose lichdom over...?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  20:15:32  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe lichdom, somehow, allows the caster to keep their mind and their dominion over magic without any draw-back. Putting your conscience in a golem, would alter your skill in spell-casting, due to the more raw movement of your arms and, specially fingers. Becoming other kind of cretures on the other side, like mummies, zombies o politicians may affect your mind in a way that somehow ripped off or diminished your casting hability.... just my thought... at least this is how I always saw that issue in particular.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  20:28:21  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Politicians? They wish immortality, but not at the cost of their humanity!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  20:31:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Maybe lichdom, somehow, allows the caster to keep their mind and their dominion over magic without any draw-back. Putting your conscience in a golem, would alter your skill in spell-casting, due to the more raw movement of your arms and, specially fingers. Becoming other kind of cretures on the other side, like mummies, zombies o politicians may affect your mind in a way that somehow ripped off or diminished your casting hability.... just my thought... at least this is how I always saw that issue in particular.

I would think that making a golem or other construct nimble enough for spellcasting shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Having your arms decaying and your fingers falling off would be more of an impediment to spellcasting, thinks I.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  20:55:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Super-glue!
I would think that making a golem or other construct nimble enough for spellcasting shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Having your arms decaying and your fingers falling off would be more of an impediment to spellcasting, thinks I.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:00:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

Super-glue!

And how to you propose to open the bottle when your fingers have fallen off?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:42:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mummies anyone?

I thought they're easier to slay than liches.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:52:28  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I ignored they had such thing

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:53:32  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Haven't seen any lich with that matter, though now I think archliches don't even have arms....

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  22:03:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I ignored they had such thing

Some of them are hardly human to begin with...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  22:45:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Haven't seen any lich with that matter, though now I think archliches don't even have arms....

Archliches have arms.

But the undead bodies of liches and archliches do decay, albeit at a very slow rate. So it may take a millenium, but they will eventually have to worry about bits and pieces falling off. A construct would not have this issue, or at least not as soon.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:08:32  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Archliches have arms.

But the undead bodies of liches and archliches do decay, albeit at a very slow rate. So it may take a millenium, but they will eventually have to worry about bits and pieces falling off. A construct would not have this issue, or at least not as soon.

Has been any case of "nimble" constructs around? The only ones I've seen or read about are the typical massive adamantine/iron/clay/ etc... golem ones

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:15:01  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Super-glue!

BTW all liches always have some big skully teeth, so they can always use them to open the tub...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:19:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has been any case of "nimble" constructs around? The only ones I've seen or read about are the typical massive adamantine/iron/clay/ etc... golem ones

Well, there's nimblewrights... And Baelam the Bold encountered some contruct that was nimble enough that when it cut off his hand, he had one of the contruct's hands grafted in its place -- and he is a spellslinger.

Keep in mind, golems aren't nimble because golems are created with the "Hulk SMASH!" tactic in mind. You don't need to be nimble when even a glancing blow will reduce someone to mush.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Sep 2011 23:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:21:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Super-glue!

BTW all liches always have some big skully teeth, so they can always use them to open the tub...

If Pharaun could cast spells using his feet, I guess some wizards could use theirs to open a bottle. And that includes liches.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:21:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Super-glue!

If Pharaun could cast spells using his feet, I guess some wizards could use theirs to open a bottle. And that includes liches.

Toes would be subject to falling off, too.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:27:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, I thought you'd say that. But then, why use toes, teeth, and fingers when a lich is a master spellcaster and can simply utilize magic even without the help of his hands [or feet]? Telekinesis, too, for psionic liches.

Edited by - Dennis on 28 Sep 2011 23:28:42
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  23:48:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that Imhotep from The Mummy was hardly what D&D would actually call a mummy (even one of those described by Van Richten); after his initial concern with retrieving his canopic jars, Imhotep was actually far more like a D&D priest-lich instead. I might even go so far as to claim he was, in terms of the powers he used in the movie, almost something of a druid-lich.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  00:12:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, there's nimblewrights... And Baelam the Bold encountered some contruct that was nimble enough that when it cut off his hand, he had one of the contruct's hands grafted in its place -- and he is a spellslinger.

Keep in mind, golems aren't nimble because golems are created with the "Hulk SMASH!" tactic in mind. You don't need to be nimble when even a glancing blow will reduce someone to mush.

Forgot to mention the most nimble construct of all of them, in the Realms: Alias and her sisters.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  00:14:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Yes, I thought you'd say that. But then, why use toes, teeth, and fingers when a lich is a master spellcaster and can simply utilize magic even without the help of his hands [or feet]? Telekinesis, too, for psionic liches.

Takes some effort to memorize all those still spells, and the dozens of mage hands that'd be necessary every day. Easier to not have to worry about your body falling apart.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  01:57:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Archliches have arms.

Indeed. While liches usually don't require food or water, they must still conduct rituals that are designed to renew their powers and sustain their physical existences. Which would suggest that their physical selves are susceptible to instances of rot and decay.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  02:20:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could also find a way tp aquire the monk's timeless body( or whatever ruleset equivilent).

it would stop the aging process for the arcanist wanting to slow down time. extend your lifespan magics would still be needed, unless yer a lich, in which case your dead already and it could be argued that it would stop your dead bones from decaying.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  02:43:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Sage, my understanding is that those rituals are not directly needed to sustain a lich, his constant exposure and practice of magic does that instead. The purpose of the rituals is to grow; ie: to accumulate additional powers.

Incidentally, regeneration and invulnerability to nonmagical attacks are two of those powers which a smart lich might choose early on if he intends to prolongue his existence.

The physical condition of liches in the Realms, especially examples like Szass Tam (until recently) being able to halt decay and even conceal his nonliving state, suggests that liches are fairly well-designed, sturdy, and capable of some self-repair. In extreme circumstances, complete destruction of the lich's physical body forces his soul to transfer into his phylactery ... then assume yet another fully intact body as opportunity provides. It seems to me that the ultimate limits impose upon a lich's years are not physical (repaired bodies aren't hard to find), they are mental and spiritual (eventually a lich's mind or soul decays to the point where he can no longer sustain his existence and must move to his next one).

I wonder what happens to a lich's phylactery once he abandons the world? Does it become inert? Is destruction of his own phylactery the final ritual a lich must perform to achieve demilich form?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  03:12:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Actually, Sage, my understanding is that those rituals are not directly needed to sustain a lich, his constant exposure and practice of magic does that instead. The purpose of the rituals is to grow; ie: to accumulate additional powers.
Well, I was going by previous Realmslore that I'd read on the subject of liches utilising specialised rituals to maintain their decayed forms. It's implied that some liches counter their centuries-old rot by employing rituals -- both arcane and mundane -- to slow the rotting of their undead bodies.

Ed's also noted that early Realms liches believed that retaining clothing and footwear slowed the "inevitable decay" of the physical body of the lich. So a lot of them are afraid of falling apart faster, and believe that clothing, however ragged, rotten, or "abbreviated," somehow provides a binding for the body that slows its deterioration.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  05:18:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The physical condition of liches in the Realms, especially examples like Szass Tam (until recently) being able to halt decay and even conceal his nonliving state, suggests that liches are fairly well-designed, sturdy, and capable of some self-repair.

I think that if this was a normal ability for liches, they'd not look like walking corpses.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  05:43:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The physical condition of liches in the Realms, especially examples like Szass Tam (until recently) being able to halt decay and even conceal his nonliving state, suggests that liches are fairly well-designed, sturdy, and capable of some self-repair.

I think that if this was a normal ability for liches, they'd not look like walking corpses.

Agreed.

And both the bits I remembered from Ed above, as well as what's noted about liches needing to sustain their physical forms [in Van Richten's Guide to the Lich for example], supports that notion.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  06:22:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are there psionic liches in the Realms? If so, did they retain their full ability when they were still "alive"? Was it increased or decreased exponentially?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  06:37:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionic liches are detailed (along with several other psionic monsters) in the 2E PHBR5: The Complete Psionic's Handbook; so if psionics are used in the Realms campaign then psiliches could (and likely would) be present. Note that psionic characters have been established in Realms canon and are actually integrated within the core rules for 4E (they were optional in all previous editions).

Psionic lich monster entries are also detailed in numerous other products, although not in the Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium supplements. It is of course always possible for them to migrate to the Realms from other worlds (well, except from Krynn, which has no native psionics). It is also possible for nonhuman psiliches - say, Githliches or Illithiliches, or even Phaerimmliches or Sharnliches (why not?) - to choose a corner of the Realms as a possible site for experimentation, inhabitation, colonization, invasion, or exile.

I would think that liches tend to be attracted, or at least become well informed, to each others' presences ... imagine how much a lich might covet the concentrated repository of lore possessed by another, or how paranoid it might become of securing what it has from threatening competitors - they hoard magic (or psionic) power in very much the same way as dragons hoard treasure.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 Sep 2011 06:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  06:53:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Sharn are immortal. So I don't think they'll walk another path to immortality. That's like demigods [uselessly] drinking elixers of life.

Edited by - Dennis on 29 Sep 2011 06:54:58
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  07:01:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some pantheons the gods do need to reverse their aging through consumption of divine ambrosia or golden apples or whatnot.

Sharnliches do seem quite improbable, I admit, I don't know about their immortality but they are a telepathically unified species.

I wonder if Telamont might be some sort of Shadowlich? The lich process offers more than mere longevity/immortality - it also adds power.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  07:17:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if Telamont might be some sort of Shadowlich?
Quite an interesting postulation. Perhaps that's exactly where he's heading when his "shade-life" is over.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000