Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abolethic Sovereignty, Xxiphu and stuff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  11:02:28  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker =)

I can't find much time to post and comment here because of my heavy work schedule and marriage preperations but I really enjoy reading comments here. I've learnt many things from the scribes here, so, I have to say "thank you very much" at this point, I guess =)

Okay then, back to topic, I have read Stardeep and the first two books of the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy and am just into the first 10 pages of the third book. I love the different tone these series have, it's much darker than our usual FR novels and there's a hopelessness in the air, but the thing is, there are so many characters, places and side-plots; sometimes I get lost between them (English is not my native language, but that doesn't seem to be the problem). Also, there are lots of terms that are foreign to Faerun, like star pacts, Forever's Reach, beings older and more powerful than Ao himself, bringing chaos from a realm "far beyond" with the usage of a star key.

Will all of these be explained in the final book? I cannot find any information or lore on any of these stuff, how the Eldest came to be, is there a limit to its power etc. I'm afraid there are just so many loose ends that it will wind up with more questions at the end. Can someone give more information on Xxiphu, Abolethic Sovereignty without spoilering anything major?

Thanks in advance, I will try to post more from now on, I promise! =)

PS: As I have said, English is not my native language and I am sorry for any mistakes that I made.

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  14:56:16  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Keep!

I haven't read the trilogy yet so I can't say much about it, but IIRC there's an adventure in the Dungeon about Xxiphu. I'll have to check my external HD once I'm home, but I'm sure other scribes beat me to it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  15:12:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Welcome to the Keep!

I haven't read the trilogy yet so I can't say much about it, but IIRC there's an adventure in the Dungeon about Xxiphu. I'll have to check my external HD once I'm home, but I'm sure other scribes beat me to it.

It's "City of Aboleths" from DUNGEON #170 [September 2009].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  15:20:07  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, interesting, I will definitely check it out. Do you think if I could find it online? I live in Turkey and it's impossible to find a foreign magazine here let alone the Dungeon.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  15:30:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's an electronic article, which means it requires readers to have a Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription to access content on the Wizards of the Coast website.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  15:36:51  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sage, will look into it when I get back home.

Oh, and I would appreciate it if anyone else has some other info on the topic. =)
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  18:37:41  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just checked the said article "The City of Aboleths", and sadly, it's nothing more than a 3-page adventure written by Bruce R. Cordell featuring encounters from the second novel of the trilogy, City of Torment. No additional information or lore is included. =(
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  21:18:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The real city of aboleths is in Polyhedron 140

Maybe the Dragonking is connected with these Eldest, or the draeden. There's nothing outside of Cordell's books about them, almost sure.
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  12:12:52  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I'd never heard of the dreaden before, I've made a quick research online and now I'm itching to learn more of them =)

Is there any lore about these beings other than the stuff found online? I'd appreciate your theories as well.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  14:01:53  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's has a monster entry in the Immortals Rules set, which is not a Realms product, it is for the Known World. Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of Abyss has a short text about one sleeping in Lolth's layers or somewhere in the Abyss.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  09:26:40  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a module called The Best of Intentions, describes their demiplane.

As for speculations, I doubt Cordell imagined them to be the threat to Ao. Probably the Eldest are Yog-Sothoth and his like.

But if you want to tie to previous Realmslore. There's already the Dragonking (from Marco Volo adventures), it took several greater gods to imprison it. And the draedens are said to be the progenitors of dragons. Ilsensine looks similar to them, and Tiamat has some relation to Ilsensine (helped to neutralize Gith). Supposedly the illithids will rule almost everywhere in the far future. The experiments on humans could be related to the race of destiny thing. Illthids and the gith are both genetically modified humans, the gith are a bit reptilian, that would be the servant genes.

In addition, there are enormous beings sleeping in the Paraelemental Ice. Another possibility is that the le shay (fey are the most known enemies of the aberrations) imprisoned the draedens there. They both originate in the previous multiverse. The fey are skilled with the sleep magic and have the Queen of Air and Darkness.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  11:02:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think it would be great to have an anthology-companion---Realms from Beyond---to Bruce Cordell's Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy. And I guess it's not too late yet.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  18:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a small thing, but the 3.5 accessory Underdark mentions Xxiphu on page 191 in the adventure location "Shape of Water." Supposedly, it is "the first of several outposts charged with defending the perimeter of a larger aboleth territory." I may be mistaken, but I actually think this might be Xxiphu's first official mention.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  19:48:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

It's a small thing, but the 3.5 accessory Underdark mentions Xxiphu on page 191 in the adventure location "Shape of Water." Supposedly, it is "the first of several outposts charged with defending the perimeter of a larger aboleth territory." I may be mistaken, but I actually think this might be Xxiphu's first official mention.

If that's the case, taking an Underdark outpost and making it a flying city is a bit of a retcon...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  21:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

If that's the case, taking an Underdark outpost and making it a flying city is a bit of a retcon...

My fault. I was actually unclear in this. The location known as "Shape of Water" was actually the outpost for the city of Xxiphu.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  23:41:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My fault. I was actually unclear in this. The location known as "Shape of Water" was actually the outpost for the city of Xxiphu.

Ah. I stand corrected. Good thing I'm not inclined to rant at the drop of a hat!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000