Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 [4e] Neverwinter campaign guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rabindranath72
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  12:32:18  Show Profile  Visit rabindranath72's Homepage Send rabindranath72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
I am thinking of picking this up for my next campaign. I have only the (first three) core 4e books, and if I can avoid buying the other two 4e FR books I would be happy; so, anybody knows whether they are required?

Thanks,
Antonio

Failure is an option

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  16:03:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Required? Probably not, though you might want to pick up the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide incase the Bladesinger class (detailed inside the Neverwinter Guide) is an off-shoot of the Swordmage. And it'll be more helpful to any PC wanting to play a Bladesinger if you have that supplement.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  20:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They aren't required, though use of those books will probably enhance/enrich your game. There are a number of references within the NWCG to things outside, and it helps to have a basic understanding of some of the politics, intrigue, and facts about the world.

I will also offer my opinion (and as one of the three authors, it's probably reasonably trustworthy) that you do NOT need to know anything about the Swordmage to understand and play the Bladesinger, but if you like one class, you will probably like the other. I happen to love swordmages.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  20:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this the 4e campaign setting release for this year (to Forgotten Realms in 2008, Eberron in 2009, Dark Sun in 2010)? I was wondering what they would do. Kind of surprised that they did not do something like Ravenloft or Dragonlance instead of returning to the Realms (not that I am complaining).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

rabindranath72
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  13:01:36  Show Profile  Visit rabindranath72's Homepage Send rabindranath72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

They aren't required, though use of those books will probably enhance/enrich your game. There are a number of references within the NWCG to things outside, and it helps to have a basic understanding of some of the politics, intrigue, and facts about the world.

I will also offer my opinion (and as one of the three authors, it's probably reasonably trustworthy) that you do NOT need to know anything about the Swordmage to understand and play the Bladesinger, but if you like one class, you will probably like the other. I happen to love swordmages.

Cheers

Erik,
thank you for the answer! Since you have been so kind, I will bother you further...:)

1) Does the book reference 4e Essentials stuff which is not in the first three core books? (e.g. powers, class features etc.) Also, does it reference stuff from the other "core" 4e books? I am a "core only" guy at heart (and for 4e, this means "first three core only") and definitely don't plan on buying any other rule books.

2) I am not a fan of the Spellplague; I am not a fan of the Avatar crisis, either, so the idea was to run the campaign within the framework of the AD&D 1e Greybox. So, can this supplement be used in this context? Can the references to the FR lore be applied to previous editions' stuff (I also have the 3e FRCS)

Thank you!
Antonio

Failure is an option
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  14:15:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Is this the 4e campaign setting release for this year (to Forgotten Realms in 2008, Eberron in 2009, Dark Sun in 2010)? I was wondering what they would do. Kind of surprised that they did not do something like Ravenloft or Dragonlance instead of returning to the Realms (not that I am complaining).

They announced that they weren't going to do a campaign setting this year awhile back if I remember correctly. Not sure why they went this route, espically with the big success Dark Sun was. But I never figured Ravenloft would make it as another fully published Campaign setting because of the lack of lore and (I feel) fanbase with the 4E rules in general.

I could see them doing Dragon Lance next, as that was a BIG franchise with WotC/TSR and the story line isn't completly dead. I feel, however, that they'd be better off doing more in-house material and focusing more on their own PoL-world and actually make it a fully fledge setting (like Golarion) and put their writers to the tast of putting out great lore for it (like they have been for DDI articles).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  15:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabindranath72

Erik,
thank you for the answer! Since you have been so kind, I will bother you further...:)
Absolutely. Lay 'em on me.

quote:
1) Does the book reference 4e Essentials stuff which is not in the first three core books? (e.g. powers, class features etc.) Also, does it reference stuff from the other "core" 4e books? I am a "core only" guy at heart (and for 4e, this means "first three core only") and definitely don't plan on buying any other rule books.
You should be totally fine using this product. There *are* references to other rulesets and expansions, but you shouldn't need anything other than a basic playset for D&D. Just ignore references to druids, barbarians, psionics, spellscars, etc.

quote:
2) I am not a fan of the Spellplague; I am not a fan of the Avatar crisis, either, so the idea was to run the campaign within the framework of the AD&D 1e Greybox. So, can this supplement be used in this context? Can the references to the FR lore be applied to previous editions' stuff (I also have the 3e FRCS)
Absolutely, with the caveat that a lot of the lore in this product is developed in the wake of the Spellplague and the cataclysm that almost destroyed Neverwinter (see Bob's novel Gauntlgrym). In your campaign, you're probably going to want to manufacture some other big nasty event that has ripped up the city (an earthquake is what I recommend). If you don't like the Spellplague, feel free to leave that out, or else put in a widespread magical curse/disease that's afflicting the city (something for the heroes to undo!).

Apply this philosophy to other stuff in the book that doesn't fit your game: alter or ignore as necessary. There are several major NPCs who have a role in this book--you should be able to use them as-is, or else substitute a different NPC as appropriate for your campaign.

I'm a big believer in "make it work for your game." No product is ever going to strike you as "exactly right" for your campaign; you need to take what you like and downplay the stuff you don't.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  15:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Not to speak for anyone other than myself (as always), but I see this not as a campaign setting (I mean, obviously the Realms is that) but as a GUIDE for DMs who want to run a campaign in Neverwinter. It provides all the lore and tools you're going to need to sculpt a long-term quest full of intrigue, treachery, and adventure.

And while the product kind of aims at a particular range of levels, it also contains some killer mechanics that are usable at any level in any campaign (a slew of character themes, the bladesinger, and some special material for hardcore Realms fans).

I hope you'll find it a very fun product--I certainly enjoyed working on it!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

rabindranath72
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  15:56:16  Show Profile  Visit rabindranath72's Homepage Send rabindranath72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm a big believer in "make it work for your game." No product is ever going to strike you as "exactly right" for your campaign; you need to take what you like and downplay the stuff you don't.

Cheers

Erik,
thank you! Much appreciated :)
The idea of an earthquake is interesting. I am definitely not loathe to "shape" a product for my campaigns, but if the cost (in terms of time and effort) of adapting a book is too high, I tend to look elsewhere. From what you said, it looks like it might be a good buy.

Failure is an option

Edited by - rabindranath72 on 15 Jul 2011 16:09:28
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  15:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Antonio,

I don't think the cost will be too high, but obviously you need to make that judgment for yourself. I suggest you go pick up a copy at your local gaming store and check it out before you buy. Or if you're coming to GenCon, hunt me down and we'll chat about it in person, if you like. I can give a much better answer if I know more details about the campaign you're putting together.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 Jul 2011 16:00:24
Go to Top of Page

rabindranath72
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  16:11:53  Show Profile  Visit rabindranath72's Homepage Send rabindranath72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Antonio,

I don't think the cost will be too high, but obviously you need to make that judgment for yourself. I suggest you go pick up a copy at your local gaming store and check it out before you buy. Or if you're coming to GenCon, hunt me down and we'll chat about it in person, if you like. I can give a much better answer if I know more details about the campaign you're putting together.

Cheers

I might add that I am not a FR expert at all, having only barely read the core FR stuff (Grey box and 3e FRCS.) I only ran a few games in this setting, even back in the day of the Gray box (I have always been more of a Dragonlance DM.) Then I played (as a PC) in a 3e campaign. That's all my experience with the Realms . I admit I was intrigued by the "two books only" 4e FR, but then I read about the Spellplague and lost interest.
With lack of time to prepare and read RPG material, something which is very focused and new is definitely welcome, hence my "choice" of the Neverwinter book.

I would gladly chat with you, but I live on the other side of The Pond (UK, in particular.) But I might bother you later, after I get the book...

Cheers,
Antonio

Failure is an option
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  17:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would welcome any and all questions re: Neverwinter or DMing in general.

Based on what you've just said, the Neverwinter book is probably exactly what you're looking for. I see it as a toolbox for running a detailed campaign set in that city. It doesn't have much in the way of actual scripted battles (an encounter book) but what it does have is a whole slew of NPCs, monsters, and suggestions of adventure hooks relating to basically everything in the book. Sound good?

And who knows? Maybe you'll like the Neverwinter game so much that after you're done with that campaign, the game will expand into the broader Realms as the characters sally forth to continue the threads introduced there. Ultimately, do what is comfortable for you and your game.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

rabindranath72
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  19:16:32  Show Profile  Visit rabindranath72's Homepage Send rabindranath72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It doesn't have much in the way of actual scripted battles (an encounter book)

You have just sold a book! I run 4e much in the vein of the older editions (3.0 downward.) If there is a thing I loathe is the delve format To me it's just filler: I want the freedom to setup a battle as I want, so the pages devoted to detailing an encounter are all wasted pages for me.

Failure is an option
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  19:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabindranath72

quote:
It doesn't have much in the way of actual scripted battles (an encounter book)
You have just sold a book!
Cool. I hope it works out for you (and do let me know!).

quote:
I run 4e much in the vein of the older editions (3.0 downward.) If there is a thing I loathe is the delve format To me it's just filler: I want the freedom to setup a battle as I want, so the pages devoted to detailing an encounter are all wasted pages for me.
That's pretty much my personal preference as well, though I know there are lots of DMs out there who find the Delve format extremely useful (particularly if they don't have much time to set up encounters or don't like improvising things on the fly).

My personal DMing style is mostly improvisational: I steep myself in the lore, take some mental notes about schemes that are going on, have a few printouts of potential monsters, and just roll with it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  22:41:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well someone on the Wizard boards leaked a part of the Bladesinger class (only level 1 spells, but the whole Heroic tier chart) from the Gen-Con Neverwinter Game Day. I don't know if this is supposed to be common knowledge by now but for Erik's sake I'll make you guys find it on your own.....

As from what read on the Bladesinger......to say the least I'm very suprised (a little saddened at it's role) but otherwise very pleased and should be rolling up a character today
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  16:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how legit that leak is, but I'll happily comment on it in general terms.

It's not surprising to me that the CharOpp boards are wary of the bladesinger, because this class (IMO) is much more about flavor and story than raw power. Don't get me wrong, I fully support and appreciate the CharOp boards, but if you're advising people never to play warlocks because they mathematically do slightly less damage than rogues COULD do under such-and-such circumstances, then flavor/story isn't really your cup of tea.

I also don't think you should read too much into the role they chose. The old school Bladesinger didn't fit very well into any of the four roles, because it was very much a generalist: could whip out the damage (striker), could buff up self and others (leader), could wade through melee (defender), and had a good allotment of magic (controller). They just kind of went with "what's the best fit"? (No role has to be set in stone: for instance, the swordmage is a defender that heavily leans to controller with some strikery goodness, particularly if you do Assault Swordmage.)

I think the limited but customizable spell-use also reflects the generalist Bladesinger concept. Your bladesinger should not be competing with wizards for top controller, but having some control, striker, and defendery abilities is both helpful and cool.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 18 Jul 2011 21:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  17:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just stopping in to say the Countdown to Neverwinter is now less than a tenday. If you're coming to GenCon this year, do find me at the convention to get your NCG signed!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  18:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just stopping in to say the Countdown to Neverwinter is now less than a tenday. If you're coming to GenCon this year, do find me at the convention to get your NCG signed!

Cheers

Well met

OOhh that's great news, Erik. I can't travel over the pond this year to GenCon but I have a scribe heading over so will send him over to you to get a copy. Please sign the book to Alaundo of Candlekeep

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  23:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

So I picked up my copy of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting today from my FLGS. First glances...very nice! Certainly some interesting sections and points that i've read thus far, and am looking forward to delving in for a much deeper read shortly.

Any fellow scribes here picked this up? Any thoughts?

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  05:20:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't come out into stores til Aug. 12th but rest assured I'll be picking it up then.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  05:56:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard it was the 16th?

I hope its the 12th!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  09:44:13  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to buy it today, I know a secret store

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  08:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I heard it was the 16th?

I hope its the 12th!

Well met

My FLGS released it as they are part of the D&D Encounters network, so WotC ensure they have such material asap (I believe the Crown of Neverwinter started Wednesday the 10th).

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  10:50:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I'm going to buy it today, I know a secret store

Don't tell anyone! It's a secret!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  11:07:36  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, if no one's interested

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  21:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got mine today! Haven't given it a thorough reading, butthere seems to be plenty of good stuff in there. Lots of detailed lore on the various factions in and around the city. Lots of crunch (especially the character themes, looking interesting). Very nice map!

Dunno, anyone got any questions 'bout it?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  19:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  20:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed!

Excellent work, sir.

More books like this would be most awesome!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  15:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's feedback WotC needs to hear. Post on their boards, review the book on Amazon, etc.

If this is something you want, you need to demand more of it!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  16:07:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got my copy.

First D&D game book I have bought in 18 months...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  18:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's feedback WotC needs to hear. Post on their boards, review the book on Amazon, etc.

If this is something you want, you need to demand more of it!

Cheers

True, that.
Posted on the boards, Amazon hates me at the mo, any other recommended ways to tell WotC how to get my money?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000