Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 [4e] Neverwinter campaign guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rabindranath72 Posted - 14 Jul 2011 : 12:32:18
Hi all,
I am thinking of picking this up for my next campaign. I have only the (first three) core 4e books, and if I can avoid buying the other two 4e FR books I would be happy; so, anybody knows whether they are required?

Thanks,
Antonio
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Nov 2011 : 17:12:12
Yikes! I totally missed a couple questions. To answer:

@OMH: I'm glad you've been pleasantly surprised by this tome. I as well would have wanted to see substantial expansion of the "other regions" part of the "Neverwinter and North" chapter, but focus of this sourcebook (no one minds if I call it that, right?) is on Neverwinter and its immediate surroundings (Neverwinter Wood, Xinlenal, Helm's Hold, etc). I would very much like to see a "Sword Coast" regional sourcebook (the paragon-tier sequel to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting?).

I'm sorry you aren't a fan of the Spellplague. It was a heavy-handed way to transition the setting from 3.5 to 4e. But it is, by and large, in the past, and I think that a good deal of the lore that comes out these days (tinged by Spellplague or not) is very fitting Realmslore. I hope you're finding good stuff to use that can ignore or gloss over those parts of the setting you don't like. (Which is, in point of fact, how the Realms has always been set up!)

@Sage: Regarding Netherese constructs, alas, I was not the author on that section, so I can't say what was intended (I believe that was one of Ari's sections). However as a DM and designer, I would recommend that any constructs could have survived from the fall of Xinlenal, be they homonculi, automatons, golems, shield guardians, etc.

If I might suggest an idea I had on this subject? A particularly dangerous and ancient iron golem called II57 ("Iron Ioul the Fifty-Seventh," 57th in a line named for its original creator and master) broke free of its imprisonment after shades excavated it, slew a number of Netherese, and vanished out into the North. The constant winter rains and foul weather have damaged its construction somewhat, and rust impedes its manual dexterity. Let would-be slayers beware, however, for Iron Ioul the Fifty-Seventh possesses fiendish strength and incredible resilience, owing to its iron construction and the powerful magics that animate it.

(Mechanically, Ioul the Fifty-Seventh might be an iron golem and threat to the PCs, or it might be a warforged--if you want to bring those into your D&D game--that they at first have to fight, then turn into an ally. Also, it might not be the only survivor of Ioulaum's Iron Legion. Ahem!)

Cheers
Markustay Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 05:01:18
I picked this up - I've only skimmed through it thus-far, but it has more of a '3e feel' them any of the other 4e products I've seen. Lots of useful info for a DM.

Nice work.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 22:10:09
I think the best answer is that where the book says "twenty-six," it should say "twenty-eight" (1451 to 1479), and that Lord Neverember "arrived" (in the form of starting to build his empire) ten years ago (i.e. 1469). His actual physical presence in the region began only a few years ago (1476, say), but he's been constructing his power base much longer.

Cheers
Therise Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 20:29:59
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

As for Neverember's arrival, I was the one who wrote the New Neverwinter material, and my initial intention was to have Dagult have arrived in the city "a few years ago," meaning "somewhere in the mid 1470s." This could be as many as 10 years ago (1470), and as recently as only 2-3 years (1477). Again, fitting the needs of your campaign: how established do you want Neverember to be? How long has it taken him to make the gains he has in Neverwinter?

Neverember's arrival is also purposefully murky. He's a businessman, and businessmen don't just show up and announce they are taking over. They start by buying up assets, hiring merchants/soldiers, and insinuating themselves into the economy of the region. I would suggest that the "10 years" date refers to how long Neverember has been interested in the region, in terms of investments and slowly growing control, until he ultimately came to the city and declared himself "Lord Protector" five or so years ago. The reconstruction of the Protector's Enclave and the pacification of the other quarters of the city has been going on 10 years (1470-1480), but it ramped up dramatically once Neverember arrived in person on the scene.

Any noble worth his salt (i.e. one that has survived in Waterdeep and hasn't lost his fortune) would also send at least several groups ahead of time to consolidate his interests in the region. First, a group to assess the situation, determine if the move is worth it; also to determine threats and the potential reaction of a new faction "moving in" on that territory. Second, a group of loyal servants and such to prepare the way for the noble's arrival: setting up a base, putting spies into the ranks of the other area factions, that kind of thing.

Those things, by themselves, could be responsible for explaining the "murky" dates of Neverember's arrival. You could say that his hirelings were there ahead of him, and still claim that "Neverember is there" before he actually arrives, because his interests are starting to consolidate in the region. When speaking of any powerful noble in a region, "So-and-So is there" can simply mean that the noble has developed a power base in the region, whether he himself is physically present or not.

Brian R. James Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 20:19:01
quote:

For a more definitive answer, I guess we'll have to wait until Grand History of the Realms II comes out.
I like the way this man thinks. Now, how to convince WotC...
Cronje Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 19:14:43
I suppose I should have prefaced my question with the fact that I'm a fan of the Forgotten Realms as a story, rather than as a gamer. That's why I like the exact dates. :) Thanks for the quick replies!
The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 16:04:18
While you're here Erik, can I ask whether you've any thoughts on my query from back on 7 September?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 15:45:36
Hi Cronje,

First off, if you have any direct Neverwinter questions, feel free to PM me or email me (erikscottdebie AT yahoo DOT com). I've also answered the question as to when Dagult arrived at the city over at the Wizards boards, but I'll expand on that answer below.

Secondly, the dates presented in the book are fluid. The dates changed substantially during the process, and I suspect fact-editing suffered for it. But the timeline is *supposed to be* malleable for DMs to portray however they want.

As for when the book is set, the short answer is you're looking at a typo and the book is set about 1479/1480.

The long answer is:

The definitive date Mt Hotenow erupted is noted in the novel Gauntlgrym, which I'm pretty sure was 1451. Then again, we designers weren't quite certain what the definitive date was going to be while we were working on the book. As such, the "twenty-six years" date is a little wonky--alas, it's like trying to hit a moving target during development, so one should not blame anyone overmuch that it isn't terribly clear.

In conclusion, you should not take "26 years ago" as a canonical/precise measurement, mostly because your campaign could start at any year you want. (I personally consider the default start date of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting to be 1480.)

As for Neverember's arrival, I was the one who wrote the New Neverwinter material, and my initial intention was to have Dagult have arrived in the city "a few years ago," meaning "somewhere in the mid 1470s." This could be as many as 10 years ago (1470), and as recently as only 2-3 years (1477). Again, fitting the needs of your campaign: how established do you want Neverember to be? How long has it taken him to make the gains he has in Neverwinter?

Neverember's arrival is also purposefully murky. He's a businessman, and businessmen don't just show up and announce they are taking over. They start by buying up assets, hiring merchants/soldiers, and insinuating themselves into the economy of the region. I would suggest that the "10 years" date refers to how long Neverember has been interested in the region, in terms of investments and slowly growing control, until he ultimately came to the city and declared himself "Lord Protector" five or so years ago. The reconstruction of the Protector's Enclave and the pacification of the other quarters of the city has been going on 10 years (1470-1480), but it ramped up dramatically once Neverember arrived in person on the scene.

Cymril's reign over the Harpers and (later) Sons of Alagondar of Neverwinter is even less set in stone. The pertinent fact is that she was their leader until very recently. The "five years" date could refer to her leadership of the rebels or her leadership of the Harpers. Or both.

For a more definitive answer, I guess we'll have to wait until Grand History of the Realms II comes out.

Cheers
Therise Posted - 20 Oct 2011 : 00:48:02
Pretty sure that's a typo. The general start (in 4E) is considered to be 1479.
Cronje Posted - 19 Oct 2011 : 22:42:32
Sorry to resurrect a (seemingly) dead thread, but I'd like to get some opinions on some confusion I'm having. I originally posed this question over on the official Wizards forums, but it's been close to a week with no responses. Here are the relevant paragraphs from my post there:

quote:
According to page 90 of the Setting, "Maegera erupted from its prison twenty-six years ago," which means (since Mount Hotenow erupted in 1451, according to Gauntlgrym) that the Setting is set in 1477 DR. Does this mean that the Guide is set two years before the official "now" of 1479 DR (according to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide), or should it have said "twenty-eight years ago"?

I only ask because I'm trying to place when Dagult Neverember arrived in Neverwinter, which (according to the same page) was "ten years ago", meaning 1467 DR. However, if it was simply a typo, that means he arrived there in 1469 DR.

Having read further into the book now, it also calls into question when the Sons of Alagondar were formed (or at least when Cymril began leading them), as the book states, on page 117, that she had led them for "the past five years," which could mean either 1472 or 1474 DR. I'm sure I'll find other unclear examples as I read further.

So, typo or is the book set in 1477 instead of 1479?
Marc Posted - 08 Sep 2011 : 07:22:11
How about magic golems, born from the souls that died in the Fall and wild magic.
The Sage Posted - 07 Sep 2011 : 08:32:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Looks like this tome will be hitting my shores earlier than expected. So I'll probably have my copy by this time next week.

Woot!

Finally picked up my copy. I've only skimmed through most of the book, since I don't have time for a full read yet. But I've quickly noticed all the construct-based goodies inside.

My initial read-through hit upon the section on Xinlenal, the First Enclave of Netheril. The section on Broken Edge immediately intrigued me with this little snippet at the end " ... and a few surviving constructs of ancient Netheril were Xinlenal's only inhabitants."

I'm curious about learning more of these ancient Netherese constructs. I'm assuming thaalud constructors were among their number. But did the writers have any other constructs in mind? [Perhaps some that haven't been mentioned elsewhere?]
Old Man Harpell Posted - 25 Aug 2011 : 01:45:05
I was a little worried when I picked this book up, as I have found much of the 4th Edition Realms incredibly distressing, but after a few days of reading, most of those worries were able to be discarded.

I like (and appreciate) the fact that Neverwinter's ruined state is NOT due to the Sellplague. I actually read this part of the book in the store, and it was the decisive point that prompted me to pull out the Visa card (had the easy way out been taken, I would have - regretfully - put the book back on the shelf, at least until I could have gotten it secondhand). So whoever came up with the idea of why it WAS ruined, many, many kudos to you.

This book has also aided me in another way - after the 4th Ed.FRCS came out, I found myself having to do something I'd never needed to do before, namely create a mega-NPC to make suggestions (and as one of the many - and in my case literal - greybeards of gaming, that is anathema). This book solves that maddeningly frustrating experience beautifully. I have had to do almost nothing in the way of prodding my players along. Like a well-trained football play, they have grabbed and ran.

My lone anti-kudo concerns 'Neverwinter and the North'. I would have liked to have seen a bit more on Port Llast, Highcliff and Highcliff Castle, and so forth...regional structure, maps, that sort of thing, of the regions around Neverwinter in more exacting detail. Is there perhaps any plans for such things in the future?

In any event, please know that I am very grateful that you continued the tradition of keeping the Sword Coast and most of the North free of anything to do with the Sellplague, for the most part. This will continue to be a huge selling point for me (and I doubt I am alone in that regard).
The Sage Posted - 24 Aug 2011 : 08:34:45
Looks like this tome will be hitting my shores earlier than expected. So I'll probably have my copy by this time next week.

Woot!
Marc Posted - 24 Aug 2011 : 07:18:05
How did Thay get that far? Did the Shades do something about the Netherese cabal of Illusk?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 17 Aug 2011 : 16:58:20
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Posted on the boards, Amazon hates me at the mo, any other recommended ways to tell WotC how to get my money?
Find Mike Mearls (head of D&D) on the boards and contact him directly? Or another designer, etc. A personal contact can sometimes have the most effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So Shade and Thay are at "war" now?
Kinda. They're two evil superpowers, and its not a surprise that their goals/activities would clash. They both have interests in the region, and the sort of cold war has boiled over into open conflict.

Cheers
Kno Posted - 17 Aug 2011 : 10:28:53
If everyone's returning I don't get where's the Covenant
Brimstone Posted - 17 Aug 2011 : 05:49:48
So Shade and Thay are at "war" now?
Cleric Generic Posted - 16 Aug 2011 : 18:13:06
quote:

That's feedback WotC needs to hear. Post on their boards, review the book on Amazon, etc.

If this is something you want, you need to demand more of it!

Cheers

True, that.
Posted on the boards, Amazon hates me at the mo, any other recommended ways to tell WotC how to get my money?
Brimstone Posted - 16 Aug 2011 : 16:07:10
Finally got my copy.

First D&D game book I have bought in 18 months...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Aug 2011 : 15:41:03
That's feedback WotC needs to hear. Post on their boards, review the book on Amazon, etc.

If this is something you want, you need to demand more of it!

Cheers
Cleric Generic Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 20:13:32
Indeed!

Excellent work, sir.

More books like this would be most awesome!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 19:55:22
Indeed?

Cheers
Cleric Generic Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 21:04:29
Got mine today! Haven't given it a thorough reading, butthere seems to be plenty of good stuff in there. Lots of detailed lore on the various factions in and around the city. Lots of crunch (especially the character themes, looking interesting). Very nice map!

Dunno, anyone got any questions 'bout it?
Kno Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 11:07:36
All right, if no one's interested
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 10:50:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I'm going to buy it today, I know a secret store

Don't tell anyone! It's a secret!
Alaundo Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 08:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I heard it was the 16th?

I hope its the 12th!

Well met

My FLGS released it as they are part of the D&D Encounters network, so WotC ensure they have such material asap (I believe the Crown of Neverwinter started Wednesday the 10th).
Kno Posted - 10 Aug 2011 : 09:44:13
I'm going to buy it today, I know a secret store
Brimstone Posted - 09 Aug 2011 : 05:56:24
I heard it was the 16th?

I hope its the 12th!
Diffan Posted - 09 Aug 2011 : 05:20:51
It doesn't come out into stores til Aug. 12th but rest assured I'll be picking it up then.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000