Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Brotherhood of the Griffon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  03:25:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I surely do! If or when they truly 'rise from the dead,' I'd rather have it done by you. Sometimes, when resurrection of some characters are handled by others who didn't create said characters nor at least presented their deaths, we see a couple of problems. Foremost of which is the disconnect between the characters' lives before and after their demise.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  08:21:00  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
** Spoiler Warning **
I always thought Lallara got out alive somehow. She didn't seem like the type (being a Red Wizard and all) to save someone else without a contingency planned for her own well-being?
Also, in another scroll, this also came up and I believe it was Dennis who had an interesting theory: That Yaphyll, being such a powerful Diviner, might have sent a part of her to the future when she cast that spell for Szass Tam. (correct me if I'm wrong Dennis)

Well, to the point, I won't mind or be surprized to see those two surface once again - maybe some of the other Zulkirs as well.

Edit: fixed typo & added spoiler warning.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 28 Jul 2012 13:14:08
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  08:52:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, I mentioned that in a couple of scrolls. As for the other zulkirs: [some spoilers]Szass Tam's spell that polymorphed Nevron into a mane must have expired when Nevron reached the Nine Hells, allowing him to transform himself back to normal and shift back to Faerun. In The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey, the Simbul owed Laurozil a favor. I suppose Laurozil collected that debt moments before he fell out of thin air during their confrontation with Szass Tam---a powerful contingency spell Alassra herself crafted, stored in a ring, and gave to Lauzoril. Mythrellan must have created an illusory dummy days before Szass Tam decided to rid of her; so the lich destroyed the dummy, most likely believing he killed the real Zulkir of Illusion, while she herself teleported to some other civilized city wearing whatever disguise she fancies. And Lallara... well, she must have two teleportation rings.[end of spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

Black Wolf
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  13:17:14  Show Profile Send Black Wolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to get on here and give my appreciation to Mr Richard Lee Byers. I've been stationed over seas for the better part of a year and since being here I found your books at the small book store we have on base. Your books have definitely been a great read and I'm really looking forward to the fifth book in the brotherhood of the griffin series. Take care sir and can't wait to get a hold of your next book and hopefully a few more of your series.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  13:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Black Wolf! I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Bionic Man
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  03:31:52  Show Profile Send Bionic Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do I have to read The Haunted Lands series to enjoy/follow these books?

Thanks

It's a ::rolls dice:: pleasure to meet you!
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  04:16:24  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would help greatly, but probably not necessary. Though Haunted Lands is a very good series. I highly recommend it.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  07:04:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would like to echo Aulduron's words. No, it's not necessary to read the HL trilogy prior to sinking your teeth into the BotG series. But, it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's one of FR's best series, and remains as RLB's best to date. Just my opinion, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Gustafson
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  09:20:28  Show Profile Send Gustafson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Man

Do I have to read The Haunted Lands series to enjoy/follow these books?

Thanks

It is not necessary, but if you don't read it, you will miss a fantastic masterpiece. I just couldn't stop it...

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand, he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  13:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I would like to echo Aulduron's words. No, it's not necessary to read the HL trilogy prior to sinking your teeth into the BotG series. But, it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's one of FR's best series, and remains as RLB's best to date. Just my opinion, of course.

I'd even include the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy as recommended prior reading. Both it and the HL trilogy have tie ins and introduce characters you see later in BotG.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  14:36:46  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there anyone else in Rogue Dragons and BOTG other than Brimstone?

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  16:51:44  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I can remember.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  16:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Well only one character in that case...but plenty of the back story as far as the dragons go
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  18:59:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Who, me?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  19:47:13  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you know the plot of Rogue Dragons, you should assume they succeeded in their quest (as happens in every series of books). That's all you really need to know in order to read tBotG, other than Brimstone was a part of it.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Gustafson
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  21:52:19  Show Profile Send Gustafson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd even include the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy as recommended prior reading. Both it and the HL trilogy have tie ins and introduce characters you see later in BotG.
[/quote]

I couldn't manage to read the Rogue Dragons myself, but it is on my list

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand, he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  23:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

If you know the plot of Rogue Dragons, you should assume they succeeded in their quest (as happens in every series of books). That's all you really need to know in order to read tBotG, other than Brimstone was a part of it.

But the way they succeeded has repercussions going forward that Brimstone figures into in BotG series (at least the first 3 books)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000