Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Brotherhood of the Griffon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  22:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Aulduron.

The next book will be out in the first half of 2013, but I'm not sure of the month.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  18:15:48  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn. I was hoping for a late 2012 release. I'm enjoying this one more so far than the previous trilogy. I like that we're back to fighting the dead.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

gregthanatos
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  22:33:39  Show Profile  Visit gregthanatos's Homepage Send gregthanatos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Masked Witches was great! I loved this book. It is currently my favorite fantasy novel, and I have read a lot of them.

In my opinion Richard Lee Byers is the best author doing forgotten realms books, and this was his best yet.

He develops multiple characters in his books in a way that makes them all more intriguing than most writers can make their protagonist. After crafting these gems, many of which could in fact support their own books, he doesn’t shy away from killing them. This puts real tension in his stories. As a reader you get invested in multiple characters and have no clue as to what he is going to do with them.

That’s the real difference in his writing. It seems like most fantasy writers either project themselves onto their favorite characters or see them as too marketable to kill. It makes the stories predictable and takes away any sense of danger.

I thought the haunted lands trilogy was great but I didn’t like the inclusion of the spellplauge/blue fire. It seemed like an unnecessary ingredient that was forced into an otherwise really cool plot. Even though it wasted pages and killed the tempo of the story I do like the power it gave Aoth. The characters and the descriptions of the undead still make it my favorite forgotten realms trilogy at this time.

The first 3 books of the brotherhood of the griffon were a great trilogy also. Aoth is an awesome character and I like the fact that he developed into a mercenary. A mercenary is much more relatable than a one dimensional hero that is only interested in blindly doing good for the sake of it. This trilogy was more of a mystery story than an action story. I liked it better than the haunted lands trilogy until the ending, which I found unsatisfying.

The Masked Witches is, as I wrote earlier, his best book yet. The book is magical and primal in a way that most fantasy isn't.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  00:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words. Really glad you liked it.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  13:46:56  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Thanks for the kind words. Really glad you liked it.

Is there any reason WOTC changed the Brotherhood series from being released 6 months apart like the previous trilogy?

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  02:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure there are reasons, but I don't happen to know what they are. All kinds of considerations go into a publisher's scheduling, and the freelancer is rarely privy to all that much of it.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  03:22:53  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only 50 pages or so into the Masked Witches and I'm quickly remembering why the Bortherhood of the Griffon series is one of my favourites in the FR series...from any era.

I also just want to say that I have read several books that have taken place around Rashemen and in a few short pages I have a better picture of its location and the people who live there than I was able to gleen from the various other books that I have read. (Perhaps EC's starlight and shadows is the exception, but it has been so long since I read those).

Nice work Mr. Byers and keep them coming, Aoth and Co. are still as much fun to read 7 books in. Perhaps more so even.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, jornan, glad you're enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  00:19:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregthanatos

He develops multiple characters in his books in a way that makes them all more intriguing than most writers can make their protagonist. After crafting these gems, many of which could in fact support their own books, he doesn't shy away from killing them. This puts real tension in his stories. As a reader you get invested in multiple characters and have no clue as to what he is going to do with them.

That's the real difference in his writing. It seems like most fantasy writers either project themselves onto their favorite characters or see them as too marketable to kill. It makes the stories predictable and takes away any sense of danger.

Agreed!

I just finished it today. I thoroughly enjoyed every page! Here is my Spoiler-Free Review.

I'm tempted to discuss as who the mastermind is. It can't be the patchwork man. But I'm afraid of giving away any spoilers...

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 04 Mar 2012 00:20:36
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  02:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  05:38:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really need to read these books!

Every time I revisit Candlekeep, there is almost always some new commentary from numbers of scribes that makes me wonder about just what I might be missing out on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  18:06:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, Sage, you really should.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  03:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying The Masked Witches now. The Haunted Lands/Brotherhood of the Griffon books are spectacular. Thanks for your work, Mr. Byers.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  14:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you like them, Crust.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  19:35:08  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lack of talk about Gaedynn has me a bit worried.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  20:11:52  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished The Masked Witches last night and can't wait for the next book. I can't believe we have to wait until 2013 for it...especially with how this one ends!

A couple quick questions Mr. Byers:

1. Can you give us any teasers at all about the next book?
2. When you set out to write The Haunted Lands, did you forsee Aoth ending up where he is now or did it occur naturally and surprise you?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  20:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Entromancer: Gaedynn's okay. He just didn't happen to make the trip to Rashemen. Somebody had to stay behind to look after the troops in their winter quarters. He appreciates your concern, though.

Jornan: Really, about all I can say about the next book is that it picks up right where this one left off, and if you haven't figured it out already, you'll find out who's masterminding the plot to take over Rashemen.

I outlined all three volumes of The Haunted Lands in broad strokes before writing any of it, so I knew Aoth wound end up as a hundred plus year-old guy commanding his own sellsword company. I didn't know at that point that WotC would want more books about him, although I hoped so. To tell the truth, pretty much every standalone novel or trilogy I've done in the Realms was written in a way that would allow for sequels. But WotC never wanted sequels until I came up with Aoth, Gaedynn, Khouryn, and Jhesrhi. Instead, they wanted me to develop ideas that required new characters. I couldn't, for example, have used my surviving heroes from The Year of Rogue Dragons in The Haunted Lands. Much as I like those characters and was eager to do more with them, it would have been absurd to make them pivotal figures in the tale of the Thayan civil war.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:32:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Any news on the sequel to The Masked Witches?

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:33:02  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started reading this series and only a few chapters in, but digging it so far.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis: I'm writing the book now. It will be out in the first half of 2013.

scererar: Glad you're enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  23:00:06  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish the book was here already!

I've really been enjoying the Brotherhood of the Griffon books.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  03:46:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dennis: I'm writing the book now. It will be out in the first half of 2013.

How soon can we see the sample chapter, blurb, and cover?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  07:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I don't know how soon you'll see that stuff. I can tell you, though, that I've seen the cover painting, and it's stunning. It truly does remind me of the Frank Frazetta and Roy G. Krenkel art that wowed me as a kid and which, to me, is still the ultimate in heroic-fantasy illustration.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  02:15:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are dragons going to play a major (or minor) role in the next book? [Hopefully, this is not NDA.]

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  03:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not so much.
Go to Top of Page

Gustafson
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  17:27:03  Show Profile Send Gustafson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost finished the Masked Witches-another fantastic masterpiece from Mr Byers!!! He and Richard Baker are the best at present in the Realms!!! Can't wait the next volume. Will book 4-5-6 tell us one story as book 1-2-3 did?

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand, he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  23:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very glad you liked it, Gustafson. As for your question, at this point, let me just assure you that Book 5 continues the story begun in Book 4.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  20:07:44  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very glad you liked it, Gustafson. As for your question, at this point, let me just assure you that Book 5 continues the story begun in Book 4.

Love your novels Richard. Have we seen the last of Nevron?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  01:06:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

For that matter, the rest of the zulkirs whose fates at the end of Unholy are somewhat vague...

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  02:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have we seen the last of the zulkirs? Well, in a fantasy world, death isn't necessarily a career-ending injury. Do people want them to rise from the ashes?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000