Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lifedrain and Mythal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  18:17:15  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds plausible.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  18:50:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not at all obvious. We have an explicit spell description from the same person who invented the phaerimm and who said they were using that spell.

-And, as I've contested, the spell description doesn't entirely match what was actually happening, hence my believing that the Phaerimm were augmenting it in some way, not casting a different spell entirely, or anything to that effect. Here is the spell, as written:

"Use of this mighty spell is thought to have created much of the lifelessness at the heart of the vast desert Anauroch. This spell affects only water in geographical form (lakes, rivers, oceans), or in meteorological form (rain, snow). It does not affect water contained in living things.

A lifedrain spell destroys water within its area of effect- and prevents water from existing in the area of effect: Water cannot fall into, form within, condense within, or flow into the spherical area of the effect of this spell.

Living creatures find conditions within the area of effect to be very, very dry- uncomfortably so; For each turn that one spends performing any sort of activity except simple rest, that creature loses 1 HP due to dehydration. Plants cannot grow within a lifedrain spell field- and desert-like conditions soon occur.

A lifedrain cannot be affected by dispel magic or water magics: only a limited wish or more powerful spell can destroy it. Otherwise, it lasts for 1 year per level of the caster.
"

-Starting off with just one singular difference here, it is canon that the Netherese, for all their unparalleled magical might, had trouble simply "finding" the spell, even after they realized that their crops were not simply dying, and the land succumbing to "random desertification", and that there were some shenanigans going on. By the rules, a Detect Magic spell, or something similar, but stronger, should detect the spell- nothing in the spell's description, as written above, accounts for being able to "hide" from such magical inquiries. Yet, it did. We have an instance of the spell(s) 'behaving' in a manner that the physical description says nothing about. What does this tell me? The Phaerimm, as they were casting it, were augmenting it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 24 Jun 2011 18:53:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  18:54:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

It's not at all obvious. We have an explicit spell description from the same person who invented the phaerimm and who said they were using that spell.

-And, as I've contested, the spell description doesn't entirely match what was actually happening, hence my believing that the Phaerimm were augmenting it in some way. Here is the spell, as written:

"Use of this mighty spell is thought to have created much of the lifelessness at the heart of the vast desert Anauroch. This spell affects only water in geographical form (lakes, rivers, oceans), or in meteorological form (rain, snow). It does not affect water contained in living things.

A lifedrain spell destroys water within its area of effect- and prevents water from existing in the area of effect: Water cannot fall into, form within, condense within, or flow into the spherical area of the effect of this spell.

Living creatures find conditions within the area of effect to be very, very dry- uncomfortably so; For each turn that one spends performing any sort of activity except simple rest, that creature loses 1 HP due to dehydration. Plants cannot grow within a lifedrain spell field- and desert-like conditions soon occur.

A lifedrain cannot be affected by dispel magic or water magics: only a limited wish or more powerful spell can destroy it. Otherwise, it lasts for 1 year per level of the caster.
"

-Starting off with just one singular difference here, it is canon that the Netherese, for all their unparalleled magical might, had trouble simply "finding" the spell, even after they realized that their crops were not simply dying, and the land succumbing to "random desertification", and that there were some shenanigans going on. By the rules, a Detect Magic spell, or something similar, but stronger, should detect the spell- nothing in the spell's description, as written above, accounts for being able to "hide" from such magical inquiries. Yet, it did. We have an instance of the spell(s) 'behaving' in a manner that the physical description says nothing about. What does this tell me? The Phaerimm, as they were casting it, were augmenting it.

I don't recall reading anywhere that the Netherese couldn't find the spell. If they truly couldn't detect it, then I'll accept the premise that the phaerimm were augmenting it. But I don't see how we can assume anything beyond that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  02:58:51  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The arcanists of Netheril could not undo the lifedrain spells of the phaerimm because they could not cast limited wish spells to being with. Wish magic was not invented until a century after the fall of Netheril (How the Mighty Have Fallen, pg35). More specifically, “a complete listing of (arcanist) spells by specialization is included in Appendix 1” of Netheril: Empire of Magic. Limited wish and wish, and/or any Netherese equivalents thereof, are specifically omitted from that list.

Either the spell had not yet been invented, or it was simply impossible for the highly specialized Netherese (inventive, mentalist, and variant) arcanists to learn to cast a single spell with such universal pan-specialization versatile effects, or the spell was only possible after Mystra had rewoven magic and the art of wielding it into its current (1E, 2E, 3E) form.

However none of this is really of much point, as my reply was not intended to directly refer to the destruction of Netheril or the creation of the Anauroch desert. I referenced the 2E version of the phaerimm lifedrain spell because that is the spell the phaerimm used to destroy the Shaeradim, as that is the last known printing of it in the rules. Return of the Archwizards used a hybrid of 2E and 3E rules, along with what is clearly early conceptual notes regarding the Shadow Weave (many of which did not play out in the 3E rules themselves), and therefore citing an earlier edition of a spell in the absence of an updated one is a valid reference for the sake of argument.

The damage to the Shaeradim inevitably caused the mythal to deteriorate. The phaerimm certainly may have used many other spells to aid in the destruction of the vale (fireball, acid storm, horrid wilting, etc) they also clearly used various other magical effects to assail or weaken the mythal directly (beholder antimagic, repeatedly triggering defensive powers to drain the mythal, etc--even though such effects cannot dispel or suppress a mythal by the rules). Lastly, once inside, the elder phaerimm likely were using epic magic to dispel or transform existing powers to suit their needs, until they were defeated and the mythal was healed and rewoven.

However the point remains that the lifedrain spell in and of itself was sufficient for the phaerimm to have destroyed the surrounding environment, and during a prolonged siege the continued devastation would have eventually caused the mythal’s powers to deteriorate, fail, and in time ultimately collapse.

[edit: removed italics from proper spell names and terminology, as it made this reply more difficult to read]

Edited by - The Simbul on 25 Jun 2011 03:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  05:35:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't recall reading anywhere that the Netherese couldn't find the spell. If they truly couldn't detect it, then I'll accept the premise that the phaerimm were augmenting it. But I don't see how we can assume anything beyond that.

-The short story "First Flight", by Ed Bolme, in Realms of the Dragons is about Serreg, a Netherese Arcanist who is investigating the blight on behalf of Lady Polaris. During the course of his investigations, he is unable to detect the spell, despite attempting to do so. It is described thusly: "Every so often, Serreg would get close, and he'd feel the spell squirming to evade his scrying eyes.” That's not 'normal' for a spell, to have such resistance to detection- in cases where spells are especially resistant to detection, there is some kind of qualifier in the text/effects of the spell. In the case of Lifedrain as presented above, nothing mentions anything particularly like that. The case that Serreg's caster level was not sufficient, or however that would work using D&D rules, could be made, but that's countered by the point that other, more powerful Arcanists were unable to immediately deduce the cause of Netheril's woes, vis-a-vis the desertification of their land. If it were as simple as casting a Detect Magic or some more powerful spell with an equivalent effect, the desertification of Netheril would not have been such mystery (for a lack of better words).

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 25 Jun 2011 05:40:19
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  10:32:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I note that wish, limited wish, and alter reality magics existed in 1E. Retrograde use of the 1E rules for magic is actually encouraged in Netheril, so it's not impossible for these spells to exist. I personally prefer to think it's impossible that wish spells (or perhaps their more powerful 10th and 11th level predecessors) didn't exist at all in ancient Netheril; although yes, these spells are omitted from the lists.

But the possibility of wish magics in Netheril is not the point. The Netherese probably could have easily produced these magics, or less generalized alternative spells, to counter the described effects of lifedrain ... in theory at least, if not in political practice.

The my mind lifedrain just screams out "I'm Shar-magic!", I wonder why the designers never detailed the possibility back in the day when they were promoting Shar to her currently accepted role as divine antagonist/instigator/nemesis.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Jun 2011 10:43:49
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  19:21:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd venture that the upper level phaerimm were using simply an augmented version (via feat or some mechanic like a feat or possibly just a higher level version of it) of the 8th level spell just to make the area effect bigger. Thus, the 16th level Phaerimm who was nothing to sniff at was still of use for spreading the lifedrain, but then the upper level casters were casting the 8th lvl version plus some modified upper level version as well, probably just to be able to cover the hundreds of miles they needed to cover. I mean a 70 ft radius or whatever was posted a little while ago isn't all that much in the vast scheme of things, and even if the Phaerimm had numbered 1000 members of high enough level to cast the spell, it'd take a long time to do. Of course, they may have also created charged items capable of casting the spell and given them out to apprentices as well. Even with all that, consider that a single square mile is 5280 ft x 5280 ft.... and that's a lot of spells.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  02:08:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Even if wish spells were not yet invented during the time of Netheril, I think the Netherese's magical level should have been more than enough to counter an 8th level spell.

I agree with LK. Besides, 'twas I who first quoted that in my review. If it were that simple to detect or dispel lifedrain, the archwizards wouldn't have needed to co-operate, and could have just worked on their own to effectively eradicate such spell. Note, too, that those phaerimmn were all "adult," judging by their size (8 feet long), and thus means they were capable of casting spells up to highest level of their class, and 8th was hardly the highest.

I'd like to hear Ed's thoughts about this...so I'm bringing this to his thread.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  15:39:02  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes me wish WotC would convert to game mechanics the very material they write about. It'd make things so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  16:33:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Even if wish spells were not yet invented during the time of Netheril, I think the Netherese's magical level should have been more than enough to counter an 8th level spell.

I agree with LK. Besides, 'twas I who first quoted that in my review. If it were that simple to detect or dispel lifedrain, the archwizards wouldn't have needed to co-operate, and could have just worked on their own to effectively eradicate such spell. Note, too, that those phaerimmn were all "adult," judging by their size (8 feet long), and thus means they were capable of casting spells up to highest level of their class, and 8th was hardly the highest.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  16:47:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, mean't to go look up the quoted radius of the previously mentioned spell. The main point I was putting out was that everyone's worried about spell LEVEL and not spell QUANTITY. It said 70ft radius. pi x radius squared = 15,386 sq ft. Compare that to a square mile (5280 x 5280 = 27878400). Divide the square mile by the amount affected by the spell (27878400 / 15386). That becomes roughly 1812 castings per square mile. Given that the Phaerimm most likely heavily planned for this and prepared probably both charged items and devices that could cast the spell X times per day, I can see with a concerted coordinated effort how they might have accomplished this. Throw in that they were sneaky bastards and may have even developed a means to tap into using the mythallars to power said items and attached them to the Netherese cities such that whereever they went they ruined things (after all, who is going to notice something that casts a spell a few times a day in all the glowing gewgaws of a Netherese city). So, I put forth the Netherese problem might not have been one of one on one force... but rather a problem of simple numbers. They were not prepped for that many dispels, and the enemy had a head start, and the enemy was sneaky enough to possibly have hidden some contingent effects to keep renewing things.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  18:27:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not dismissing the lifedrain spell. I'm just suggesting that, as written, it seems insufficient to threaten all of mighty Netheril. Unless somehow augmented.

Increased spell level can easily multiply the magnitude of any given given spell. As can synergy with other spells and magics. So a 10th or 11th level lifedrain spell (converted into a weaker 8th level spell under Mystra/2E rules) doesn't seem impossible. Alternatively, some phaerimm ability/magic which allows them to merge their efforts into the casting of a single spell, similar to combine and circle spells.

Or perhaps a self-sustaining mythal-like construct could be used. Or - just to awe everybody with phaerimm overkill - a mobile quasi-mythal construct which instinctively consumes and defiles any environment it moves into ... imagine the excessive damage caused if groups of such things could procreate as well. Then again, for all I know, a less malign phaerimm magic might have been somehow mutated through exposure to Netheril's heavy-isotope-magic or other pollutions, by accident or by the design or any sort of malign entity.

And why shouldn't the phaerimm have access to faith-based magics? Couldn't they anchor or amplify the effect of a spell with some equivalent of focus? Do the phaerimm not have any gods who might provide some (magical) weapon to help save their race from extinction and/or ensure victory in their crusade against magic-using human vermin? Do they not have access to psionic powers which can duplicate or amplify magical effects, indeed do so in ways which are difficult for magic alone to counter?

My understanding is that whatever drained the life throughout the Anauroch continued to operate, perhaps even continued to spread, after the fall of Netheril. Why didn't it collapse when Mystryl was slain and, for a moment, every other magic in the Realms failed catastrophically? Why didn't it become unstable or collapse during the Time of Troubles or when Mystra (or Mystra or Mystra) was slain? To me this suggests that this magic is not Weave-based, that it is somehow permanently embedded into Faerūn, or that it is sustained by an external power source (a deity in another world? a fiend in another plane? a tentacled entity from the Far Realms?) ... regardless which possibility, I wonder how the Shadovar counteracted it, and what consequences might arise from their actions.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 26 Jun 2011 18:39:48
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  02:29:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Throw in that they were sneaky bastards and may have even developed a means to tap into using the mythallars to power said items and attached them to the Netherese cities such that whereever they went they ruined things [snip]

Possible, but I'd say only to the "lesser" enclaves. Phaerimm "corruption" of the mythallars of the enclaves like Karsus's, Ioulaum's, Larloch's, Shade, and Delia without attracting the attention of their respective archwizards is highly unlikely. The archwizards (at least the ones at the top of the hierarchy) were strongly attuned to their mythallars it's almost absurd to think they wouldn't notice anything amiss to the very things that keep their cities afloat and their magical items empowered.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  03:31:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here's an elaborate reply from Ed:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all! Thank you, Joran, and rest assured, I'll reply as soon as I can.
I bring Ed’s reply to Dennis, re. this: “Hi, Ed! We have this discussion in a different thread about the phaerimm's lifedrain and the Evereskan mythal...
We learned from The Return of the Archwizards trilogy that one of the factors that weakened Evereska's mythal was the phaerimm's lifedrain. Other than the Sharn Wall, has there been a known counterspell to it ever since? Did the High Mages of Evereska even attempt to create it? Some might think that given that several archwizards, including Lady Polaris and Karsus himself, and most probably Ioulaum and Larloch, too, had tried to unravel the secrets of the lifedrain---and failed, what chances did the High Mages have at success? But I say it's still worth the try, considering that it was their city which was at stake. Then again, mayhap they couldn't have spared even a single wizard researching on a counterspell when every one of them was direly needed to foil the attacks of the phaerimm armies...
Candlemas was able to create a spell that countered the lifedrain's effects to his crops. But it was unknown whether such spell was effective only to specific plants or to all kinds, since he died before he could fully make use of it. Also, as far as I can recall, it didn't counter the lifedrain's effects on the land itself.
Serreg, an archwizard featured in King's First Flight from the Realms of the Arcane anthology, after decades of doggedly researching on the "blight" that ruined Netherese lands, finally "detected" its cause. However, he was stopped by three phaerimm, depriving us of seeing whatever counter-spell he must have invented. Given that he alone was not enough to fight three of the many phaerimm that cast the lifedrain, it's safe to say that whatever it was he invented to dispel the lifedrain would have been useless after all.”

Here’s Ed’s response:

Hi, Dennis. A lot of questions, so for clarity, let me take them one at a time, as they appear:

“Other than the Sharn Wall, has there been a known counterspell to it ever since?”

If you mean known to me and a handful of TSR or WotC designers and editors and fiction writers, and known to a very few individuals in the Realms, the answer is “yes.”
If you mean known to most spellcasters in the Realms, the answer is “no” (but then, most spellcasters in the Realms know of the lifedrain magic, as opposed to its desert effects, only from legend and hearsay, not specifics).
NDAs, thanks to not-yet-told tales and Realmslore, constrain me from a full answer here, but I can go this far: there are several known counterspells, both divine and arcane.
One of the arcane countermagics is a necromantic spell that attacks the lifedrain effect itself by overloading it with unlife; this spell consumes undead, usually zombies and skeletons, to derive sufficient power to manage the overloading. This spell was crafted by a known Realms NPC who shared it with others, whereas most of the alternative counters to lifedrain are known by a lone creator or a pair or trio of individuals who worked together to develop that counter.

“Did the High Mages of Evereska even attempt to create it?”

Yes, but their initial attempts failed because they misunderstood the precise nature of the threat. The phaerimm were using the lifedrain spell (yep, the same one I wrote, that was published in only slightly simplified form; wordcount considerations always trim my careful, lawyer-like, long-because-exhaustive spell descriptions into much shorter writeups that unfortunately allow for misunderstandings, confusion, and misinterpretations) under the direction of a wise senior phaerimm who’d developed a second spell that drew on the power of Evereska’s mythal to prolong and extend each lifedrain cast, AND used the mythal itself to try to conceal that power drain. This was successful in misleading the Evererskans about the mythal connection for too long for them to rescue it, once realization dawned.

“Some might think that given that several archwizards, including Lady Polaris and Karsus himself, and most probably Ioulaum and Larloch, too, had tried to unravel the secrets of the lifedrain---and failed, what chances did the High Mages have at success?”

A common misapprehension to modern real-world thinkers: if this great government or that great corporation couldn’t do X, what chance does Johnny in his basement have? The truth is that it’s almost ALWAYS Johnnies in their basements who make the big breakthroughs; the corporate staff techs and scientists (and for that matter, staff game designers) are best at developing or redeveloping new or old ideas, and bringing them to market. The High Mages had little chance of success because they recognized the true nature of the threat too late, were already too busy with other concerns and threats to deal with it properly, and were too few to counteract the phaerimm’s responses to their counter magics.
Now, an ignorant commentator (even, perhaps, a sage) in the Realms might well think and voice the sentence you’ve posted here, illustrating the “if the mighty couldn’t do it, what chance do these lessers have”? thinking that this usually holds true in non-magical military confrontations (note the Serreg situation Rob King created in his short story: Serreg alone against three phaerimm; it’s no coincidence that many military strategists strive to get three units against one unit of an enemy, to “ensure” victory). However, in this case, said reasoning is based on ignorance of all relevant details of the situation. No, Ioulaum and Larloch DIDN’T try to understand or counter the lifedrain, and it’s erroneous to think that they “probably” would try, because it’s based on an incorrect view that the unified phaerimm faced a unified foe. The whole point I was driving home in my creation of Netheril and Cormanthyr and their histories was that civilizations (elven and dwarven, not just human) invariably fall when they become groups of arrogant “me first” individuals pursuing their own selfish goals or interests or passing whims, rather than placing a primary value in living and working together, as a team/cohesive society. Netheril was doomed to its fall because of its decadent squabbling and internal power battles, and (with a few exceptions) its survivors have largely flourished since then by learning the lessons of unbridled hubris. Even the self-styled Princes of Shade have learned caution and to work behind the scenes to make victory likely, before open confrontations.
Back then, Ioulaum and Larloch weren’t so wise. They saw Evereska as doomed and not worth aiding, preferring to pursue their own plans and interests, and simply withdrew and abandoned Evereska.

“But I say it's still worth the try, considering that it was their city which was at stake. Then again, mayhap they couldn't have spared even a single wizard researching on a counterspell when every one of them was direly needed to foil the attacks of the phaerimm armies...”

Almost all Evereskans of the time would agree with you that developing countermagic to then lifedrain was worth the effort, to rescue their city. And yes, by the time they really started to tackle the problem (by starting to understand it, after their initial spell-efforts yielded very puzzling results), they were too busy fighting a war on their doorsteps to have time and spellcasting power (numbers of mages working countermagics) to succeed. However, your second sentence reveals (“they couldn’t have spared”) your view of the Evereskans as operating under a unified command, which certainly wasn’t the case.
It’s nearer the truth to see the situation at the time as akin to a man running down a street full of mansions in a gated modern real-world community shouting that “There’s a forest fire, right over the fence! It’ll be here in minutes! Get out! Get out while you still can!” . . . and some of the people in those houses can’t even hear him through their walls and the movies on the big-screen TVs they’re dozing in front of, some ignore him as “some crazy shouting in the street outside” or phone the police to “come get the shouting madman who somehow got into our community,” others say, “Another forest fire? Well, the last one came nowhere near here, so pfffft!” and only a few heed - - and of those few, some start to argue about the judgment of the shouting man, because they know more about forest fires than he ever will, others take the view that just staying in their modern mansions and waiting it out is the safest thing to do because their mansions are new and big and specially built, and the relative handful who DO take the shouting man seriously disagree as to what to do, but in any case find most of their neighbors will ignore or dispute any orders they give.
And whereas a forest fire’s fuel and driving factors can be clearly understood and are fairly simple, the phaerimm were numerous, well-prepared to counter resistance, and had a huge head start in multiple attacking magics. The walls of a strong castle can hold back a handful of unarmed men, but can fall swiftly before an army of armed, experienced titans.

“Candlemas was able to create a spell that countered the lifedrain's effects to his crops. But it was unknown whether such spell was effective only to specific plants or to all kinds, since he died before he could fully make use of it. Also, as far as I can recall, it didn't counter the lifedrain's effects on the land itself.

You recall correctly; Candrelmaskur’s spell doesn’t inhibit or stop or fight the effects of lifedrain on any area.
Candrelmaskur saw that the lifedrain was leaching moisture from the land, and that it was some sort of massive, ongoing magical effect. He decided that investigating the cause of the lifedrain and determining its specifics so as to develop a counter to it would take far too long to rescue his crops, and was therefore a project for later, after his crops had been rescued. So he crafted a spell that translocated waters from a small lake he’d augmented with compost and minerals he knew the plants needed, aerated this water into mists, and delivered them to his crops. The spell is effective in aiding almost all sorts of plants, because almost all sorts of plants benefit from getting oxygen to their roots (fungi crops won’t be aided much by this spell).

“Serreg, an archwizard featured in King's First Flight from the Realms of the Arcane anthology, after decades of doggedly researching on the "blight" that ruined Netherese lands, finally "detected" its cause. However, he was stopped by three phaerimm, depriving us of seeing whatever counter-spell he must have invented. Given that he alone was not enough to fight three of the many phaerimm that cast the lifedrain, it's safe to say that whatever it was he invented to dispel the lifedrain would have been useless after all.”

No, it’s not safe to say that at all. :}
Serreg’s crafted magic was ultimately useless because he didn’t survive to pass it on to others to use, not because it wasn’t effective. THO was quite correct to decry your logic here. You are correctly underlining that the phaerimm were numerous and concerted enough to effectively deal with those who resisted them, but that says nothing at all about what or how puissant that resistance might have been, if had been properly mounted. If you’d said “As it turned out, Serreg’s counter-spell was lost and had no effect,” that would be correct. But your wording is “would have been useless after all,” meaning his counter-spell would have been ineffective no matter what happened, which is untrue. If Serreg had lived and freely and swiftly distributed his counter-spell, it would have been VERY effective if cast widely, reversing lifedrains and ending this particular phaerimm threat almost as swiftly as the threat struck.
The phaerimm succeeded because of discipline in maintaining stealth during their massive “overkill” of lifedrain spellcasting, and linking the prolongation of those magics to the various wards, mythals, and mythallars of their target locations, so the impact of the draining was unstoppable by the time it was noticed - - whereupon the phaerimm were ready in numbers to kill or foil the relative few (like Serreg) who tried to stop the lifedrain effect.

Oh, and to comment in passing on another matter in his thread: no, the writer isn’t non-North American (it certainly isn’t Terry, who needs no writing help from me!), and it would be unprofessional to reveal the writer’s identity.

So saith Ed. Who is busy busy busy again.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  17:17:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well, that answers the original question, but not our secondary musings.

quote:

-Agreed. I think it's also important to note that such spells arguably existed in cultures that existed parallel to Netheril. While the Netherese were highly dismissive of other cultures that were not their own, I would find it unlikely that useful spells/ideas/etc. that they gleamed from other cultures would be ignored carte blanche. That kind of attitude lands in 'stupid' territory, as opposed to 'haughty', and stupid is not one thing that the Netherese necessarily were.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 27 Jun 2011 17:22:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  23:16:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Even the haughty elves (at least the well-traveled and rather open-minded ones) "borrowed" spells originally crafted by humans. So I see no reason why the Netherese couldn't have done the same to other races.

A note on Ed's reply about the use of undeath magic to counter the lifedrain:

Though the Netherese dabbled with undeath magic, I'm not sure if any archwizard would have been open to the idea to use it against the lifedrain. Excessive necromantic magic, while it dispells the phaerimm's spell, also kills the land. And I don't think it'd be an easy job to reverse the effects of undeath magic after the lifedrain is obliterated.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  03:21:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with you here, Dennis: "Though the Netherese dabbled with undeath magic, I'm not sure if any archwizard would have been open to the idea to use it against the lifedrain."
I've talked to the TSR designers who approved the original tale of Karsus, and they made it pretty clear that it was supposed to be about the consequences of having quite a few archwizards (Karsus just being in the lead, not unique) who would dare ANYTHING to further their aims/whims/ambitions/curiosity. Uncaring of repercussions: known, suspected, and unknown.
So I'M sure quite a few archwizards would have been open to the idea.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  03:42:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I have to disagree with you here, Dennis: "Though the Netherese dabbled with undeath magic, I'm not sure if any archwizard would have been open to the idea to use it against the lifedrain."
I've talked to the TSR designers who approved the original tale of Karsus, and they made it pretty clear that it was supposed to be about the consequences of having quite a few archwizards (Karsus just being in the lead, not unique) who would dare ANYTHING to further their aims/whims/ambitions/curiosity. Uncaring of repercussions: known, suspected, and unknown.
So I'M sure quite a few archwizards would have been open to the idea.
love,
THO

The effects of Karsus's Avatar were unforeseen and unexpected. That's different from the effects of using heavy and widespread undeath magic on the land---which are very obvious and expected: the land dies. If they'd use necromancy, they'd only hasten the death of the land. Why eliminate a problem with another potentially bigger problem?!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  17:57:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Gotta agree with THO; I don't see why, in theory, no one would've tried. I mean, we had a situation here where so many attempts to figure out what was going on and fix the situation proved fruitless that Karsus' Avatar was cast as a means to steal the power of the goddess of magic, to have her power to fix the problem. Even though the magicians of Netheril were haughty, I can't imagine that a solution of that magnitude would be performed unless all other options dried up. Ioulaum, as we know, eventually turned himself into an Undead monstrosity, and fueled his extended lifespan on the souls of others, so it is likely that he would've had the most working knowledge of all the Netherese Arcanists regarding necromancy. Perhaps that was why he left Netheril- having attempted a powerful necromantic ritual that proved fruitless, he figured that the ship was going to sink and figured to get out of there early.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2011 :  16:21:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still saying the sheer numbers of spells would be the problem, combined with the fact that once the spell was cast the plant life was dead. So, lets assume that you have say a group of 100 phaerimm that get together to devastate just a single square mile in one day. Let's assume they only hit say half the area because its not like they lay out a grid or anything. That would be about 9 castings each (a sizable amount). I'd have to see casting time for the spell (no books handy), but assuming its a reasonable time period, they can be in and out relatively quickly. The problem just comes in that each casting costs them 1 hit point permanently. I propose that they found some means to sacrifice other beings in order to allay that cost. Now, here they are, they've devastated an area out in the wilderness. It will take a LONG time to recover naturally. Its affecting the natural wildlife, and yet the archwizards don't realize because they're not there. Now, lets take this same idea and make it worse for the archwizards.... the phaerimm AREN'T working together to decimate a single square mile. Instead, they're popping in randomly all around and doing this all over as separate individuals. Literally, the wizards wouldn't know where to go next to find the spell that they need to dispel. Its a SIMPLE, BASIC, AND DEVASTATING tactic because its all about offense and relies on the archwizards to defend.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  05:51:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Gotta agree with THO; I don't see why, in theory, no one would've tried.

Sure, they did try. I just don't think they tried using undeath magic. NO ONE saves a burning house by igniting more flames.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed saith:

slevyas has it right.
Dennis, you're still making the basic error of applying your own reasoning (and metagame hindsight) to the Netherese archwizards. Many of whom could and did experiment with EVERYTHING, consequences be darned, just for the heck of it. (How do I know this? Well, I AM the guy who created Netheril, and its enclaves, and most of the archwizards under discussion here. The guy whose Words Are Canon. Pass the soap.)
When designing Netheril, I specifically wrote about six archwizards who experimented extensively with necromancy on their own "low Netherese" subjects. I can't recall how much of that made it into print in published Realmslore, but it was in the same seven-plus pages that introduced the entire concept of floating cities (enclaves) fed and watered (and otherwise resourced) by Netherese living at a much lower standard in the "wilds" around and beneath the enclaves...so slade was familiar with it, and even if it didn't make it intact into print, it informed his design work.
The archwizards were not a unified group, and did not think of themselves as a group of "Netherese" pitted against the rest of the Realms. They were all fiercely independent, and considered EACH OTHER their chief rivals/foes. Most Netherese were not archwizards and not in the enclaves, and these "low Netherese" (many of whom were near-slaves to those of the enclaves) borrowed, seized, stole, and peacefully learned magic from everywhere they could, in part so as to be able to resist plundering archwizards from the enclaves. (So, yes, Dennis, you're quite right: they borrowed the magic of other races - - and many elves, concerned about the growing power [and utter lack of self-discipline] of the archwizards, covertly aided other Netherese so as to curb or weaken various archwizards.)
That's one of the reasons the arguments put forward by Dennis about the great power of the Netherese, and Telamont in the Realms of today, are so often wrong: they're based on the incorrect premise that the Netherese are a cohesive, disciplined force in battle, a unified people and society, whose magical might is peerless. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.
Many in the Realms of today look back at fallen Netheril and BELIEVE the Netherese were a cohesive, disciplined "height of human achievement" whose magical might was and is peerless, but that's very different from the reality.
What the Netherese truly were was a group of brilliant, ambitious magical experimenters who achieved a societal situation where no one was slowing or stopping them from trying any experiments they desired to, on anyone or anything...so some of them achieved swift and impressive results that other mages with fewer resources and a less supportive environment were unable to. Which was a large part of why the Mystryl/Mystra of the day let them go right on doing what they were (independently) doing.
I hope this helps clear up the situation somewhat. THO has relayed this thread to me, and much of the discussion has been interesting, but reading repeated posts from one party saying everyone else is wrong because he knows better is . . . tiresome, when it's simply not the case. Sorry to have to be so blunt, but watching the reasoned points made by Lord Karsus, slevyas, THO and others just swept aside is a tragic waste of everyone's time.

So there's Ed, setting the record straighter.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  03:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're still posting about the archwizards as a group, Dennis. It seems to me, reading and rereading Ed's words in the post above your latest one, that Ed has several times now made the point that they were rivals of each other, pursuing their own paths to ever-greater mastery of magic...NOT cohesive.
Yet time and again you post about them in collective terms. I think you're entirely missing Ed's point.
And I disagree that it makes them look like fools. * I * think it says that some of the archwizards bailed out, some were desperate enough to try ANY magic, before the end, to defeat the lifedrain, and some of them were fascinated experimenters (which is, after all, what they'd spent their lives being).
You're still confusing your opinions and judgments with "right" and any other view or behavior as wrong or foolish.
Perhaps Ed DID mean to portray every archwizard as a fool. That's his right, after all; his world, his characters, his kingdom, his story.
When he posts about it, I listen to the man.
That's just basic respect. Ahem.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  03:53:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO/Ed,

Hmmm. That makes the archwizards look like fools. They knew the effects of undeath magic yet they would still use it to counter the lifedrain? Maybe if someone yells, "Help! Our house is burning!" I might as well shout back, "Grab some wood, paper, plastic, anything that's flammable and throw it right in!"

When did I say that the Netherese were a cohesive unit? When did I say that Telamont and his empire today are almighty and peerless? Wrong, wrong, and wrong. I never said any of those. The independence of the (pre-Fall) Netherese was one of their “interesting” traits. Internal conflicts are equally interesting as the external ones. And Telamont? I like the bastard, but I wouldn't be so predisposed to the idea of making him peerless, invulnerable, and all too mighty. Where's the fun in that?

Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  04:14:43  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Wrong, wrong, and wrong. I never said any of those."

What?
Just because you've now deleted some posts wherein you did say those things, that doesn't mean you "never" said them!
I know better, because I save these threads as Word docs. So let's keep this debate honest, okay? Here at the Keep, it should never be about "winning" arguments, it should be about figuring out and finding out more about the Realms.
I'm with Malcolm: when we get lore from Ed, take it as canon and go from there, don't argue with the man. The Creator *cough* of the Realms.
(And why did you delete your post between THO and Malcolm, just to repeat yourself AFTER Malcolm? He was responding to you.)
And don't beat straw men. Ed did NOT say that you said that "Telamont and his empire today are almighty and peerless?" He said that you were speaking from a viewpoint of the Netherese before the Fall as being (cohesive and) almighty and peerless, which is quite different. Having read many posts from Ed and heard him speak on the topic a time or two over the years, I strongly suspect he, too, sees no fun in portraying any character as "peerless, invulnerable, and all too mighty."

Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  04:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose Dennis isn't going to appreciate this, but as a sometime volunteer firefighter and a paid, fully-trained professional one for a few years, too, I have to point out that we often fought the really big fires by starting smaller ones to burn out areas and deprive the big fire of fuel, so it'll die when it reaches our firebreak.
So, yeah, sometimes you DO fight fires by tossing fuel at them. Just sayin.'
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  04:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:

"the archwizards look like fools. They knew the effects of undeath magic yet they would still"

- - -
Yep. Sure looks like collective terminology to me.

(Actually, to split hairs here, A Gavel, Ed didn't say Dennis was referring to the Netherese before the fall as cohesive etc. etc. Ed said Dennis was referring to the Netherese archwizards [I'm going to go out on a limb here and add: by which Ed means the Netherese mighty mages who are the rulers of enclaves] before the Fall as cohesive etc. etc. Which is certainly the impression I got, from post after post Dennis made in this thread and others. And yes, some of those posts have vanished, but I saved them too.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  04:40:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really not liking the turn this thread has taken... It's going in a bad direction, I think, and I don't want to see it headed that way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  04:42:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A Gavel

"Wrong, wrong, and wrong. I never said any of those."

Reread my post. That wasn't addressed to you, but to THO/ED. Malcolm's post just happened to be in between. And frankly, I didn't even read his post before I deleted my original post and edited it. Now, I don't normally feel like explaining myself why I use delete and repost instead of "edit," but it seems like I have to this time. Editing a post takes awhile to "complete." I don't know if it's my browser or what, but that's the case. So I just delete the original and post the edited one, and of course, to avoid confusion, I always write the name of the person whom it is addressed to.

Sometimes it helps to read a post word for word, specially the heading, so you know whom is being addressed.

It never was my goal to "win" all arguments. If you happen to read my posts in other threads you'll notice that time and again I concede, stand corrected, or simply agree to disagree. But not this time. And I see no reason why a scribe shouldn't be "allowed" to argue with the Realms' creator, when the creator himself ANSWERS to a higher being, or beings, and what he says MAY be altered or revoked even without his knowledge, which as he claimed, happened to him in the past.

Edited by - Dennis on 05 Jul 2011 05:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  05:12:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure, they did try. I just don't think they tried using undeath magic. NO ONE saves a burning house by igniting more flames.

-As mentioned by Broken Helm, yeah, when fighting large scale forest fires, smaller, controllable fires are indeed set to prevent the larger, uncontrolled one from getting larger. To put it in a context of the discussion here, in theory, necromancy could have been applied with the caveat that it would've been their, reversible necromancy, as opposed to the then-unknown magics of the Phaerimm.

-But, to get our discussion back on track, here, Ed/THO stated that the Netherese did indeed "borrow" the magic that they observed among other races- meaning that, in theory, they would have had access to Wish spells, or at the very least, the concept of magical spells that could rewrite reality like Wish spells do- meaning they'd have a suitable dispellant (is that a word?) for the Phaerimm's resistant lifedrain.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page