Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Neil Gaiman's American Gods - HBO 6 year series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  03:01:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looks like HBO's sucess in the fantasy genre will only continue to grow more opportunities.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods is headed for a six year series.

http://collider.com/american-gods-series-hbo/95968/#more-95968

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Jun 2011 03:04:26

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  03:13:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A good news for those who read the novel. I haven't yet, though. Bought it long time ago, but just let it gather dust. The latest I can get to it would be next month...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  03:31:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has likely been carried on by the overall success, also, of the Gaiman-scripted Doctor Who episode for the current series. 'Twas a real hit!

It is fantastic news, though, given the overall popularity of American Gods. I'll admit, however, that I've always harboured a secret hope for a Sandman television series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  05:36:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read that book more than once... I'm not sure how it's going to be drug out into a six year series...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  05:59:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's possible, so long as the author himself writes the script.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  02:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To hear Neil describe it, he's had many, many pitches about a Sandman movie or TV show, and he's turned them all down because it just wasn't *right.*

This gives me hope that if he said yes to American Gods, then the script is going to be good.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  02:38:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

To hear Neil describe it, he's had many, many pitches about a Sandman movie or TV show, and he's turned them all down because it just wasn't *right.*

This gives me hope that if he said yes to American Gods, then the script is going to be good.

Cheers

Agreed.

As I said earlier, his script for a Doctor Who episode of the current series, is a grand example of Neil's ability to write/approve material for the smaller screen.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  05:33:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good news, I hope. The whole six-years thing makes me a bit... reserved, though.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  06:25:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Don't have HBO, nor have I ever read American Gods, or any of Neil Gailman's work, but I'm happy that the fantasy genre is expanding past the crappy made-for-TV movies on Scify on the TV, and crappy movies like the D&D movie in the movie theaters, thanks to the success of things like Game of Thrones on TV, and Lord of the Rings in the movies.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 13 Jun 2011 06:25:50
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  07:36:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, had Neil not had previous form as a fantasy writer, American Gods probably would have been rated even higher, and described as "magical realism" rather than the f-word...

Stupid literary critics.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  10:54:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Good news, I hope. The whole six-years thing makes me a bit... reserved, though.

Ditto. I'm wondering if it's going to be an adaption of the book, or if it'll be like Anansi Boys -- stories set in the same "universe" that don't necessarily follow each other.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  10:57:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Don't have HBO, nor have I ever read American Gods, or any of Neil Gailman's work, but I'm happy that the fantasy genre is expanding past the crappy made-for-TV movies on Scify on the TV, and crappy movies like the D&D movie in the movie theaters, thanks to the success of things like Game of Thrones on TV, and Lord of the Rings in the movies.

I found American Gods a little weird for my liking, but still enjoyable. Anansi Boys, a sequel of sorts, was much more enjoyable to me. Neverwhere was a very interesting concept and a good book, and Stardust is a wonderful tale, one I plan on reading to my little boy when he's old enough. The Stardust movie is most enjoyable, too.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  15:31:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Ditto. I'm wondering if it's going to be an adaption of the book, or if it'll be like Anansi Boys -- stories set in the same "universe" that don't necessarily follow each other.

Back when Neil's site had a proper message board, he spoke about a possible film anthology based on American Gods. Essentially, each tale that comprised the anthology would focus on a specific character, with Shadow being the main character overall.

It'll be interesting to see if and how this concept might translate into the television medium.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  17:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun fact: Gaiman's story Neverwhere was initially a TV show that he wrote, to which the novel is the novelization (which he also wrote and was released about the same time). Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere

You can get the TV show on Netflix. It was Netflix instant when I watched it, but that was a couple years ago.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  18:35:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I didn't like Neverwhere. I think that has more to do with my stepfather/DM at the time really liking it, and jamming it down everyone's throats when we played D&D or Star Wars than anything else, though. Mr. Croap and Mr. Vandermar became basically God NPCs in our Star Wars games, which was highly annoying, even though we never came into direct conflict with them, and in D&D, we spent too long a time in a "side quest" that we were forced into when Door and the Marquis seemingly randomly ran into us, and teleported us into the "cracks" of the world. It was horrible, especially Star Wars.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000