Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Neil Gaiman's American Gods - HBO 6 year series

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jun 2011 : 03:01:46
Looks like HBO's sucess in the fantasy genre will only continue to grow more opportunities.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods is headed for a six year series.

http://collider.com/american-gods-series-hbo/95968/#more-95968
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 18:35:10
-I didn't like Neverwhere. I think that has more to do with my stepfather/DM at the time really liking it, and jamming it down everyone's throats when we played D&D or Star Wars than anything else, though. Mr. Croap and Mr. Vandermar became basically God NPCs in our Star Wars games, which was highly annoying, even though we never came into direct conflict with them, and in D&D, we spent too long a time in a "side quest" that we were forced into when Door and the Marquis seemingly randomly ran into us, and teleported us into the "cracks" of the world. It was horrible, especially Star Wars.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 17:29:13
Fun fact: Gaiman's story Neverwhere was initially a TV show that he wrote, to which the novel is the novelization (which he also wrote and was released about the same time). Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere

You can get the TV show on Netflix. It was Netflix instant when I watched it, but that was a couple years ago.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 15:31:39
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Good news, I hope. The whole six-years thing makes me a bit... reserved, though.

Ditto. I'm wondering if it's going to be an adaption of the book, or if it'll be like Anansi Boys -- stories set in the same "universe" that don't necessarily follow each other.

Back when Neil's site had a proper message board, he spoke about a possible film anthology based on American Gods. Essentially, each tale that comprised the anthology would focus on a specific character, with Shadow being the main character overall.

It'll be interesting to see if and how this concept might translate into the television medium.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 10:57:02
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Don't have HBO, nor have I ever read American Gods, or any of Neil Gailman's work, but I'm happy that the fantasy genre is expanding past the crappy made-for-TV movies on Scify on the TV, and crappy movies like the D&D movie in the movie theaters, thanks to the success of things like Game of Thrones on TV, and Lord of the Rings in the movies.

I found American Gods a little weird for my liking, but still enjoyable. Anansi Boys, a sequel of sorts, was much more enjoyable to me. Neverwhere was a very interesting concept and a good book, and Stardust is a wonderful tale, one I plan on reading to my little boy when he's old enough. The Stardust movie is most enjoyable, too.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 10:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Good news, I hope. The whole six-years thing makes me a bit... reserved, though.

Ditto. I'm wondering if it's going to be an adaption of the book, or if it'll be like Anansi Boys -- stories set in the same "universe" that don't necessarily follow each other.
Kajehase Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 07:36:56
Well, had Neil not had previous form as a fantasy writer, American Gods probably would have been rated even higher, and described as "magical realism" rather than the f-word...

Stupid literary critics.
Lord Karsus Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 06:25:06
-Don't have HBO, nor have I ever read American Gods, or any of Neil Gailman's work, but I'm happy that the fantasy genre is expanding past the crappy made-for-TV movies on Scify on the TV, and crappy movies like the D&D movie in the movie theaters, thanks to the success of things like Game of Thrones on TV, and Lord of the Rings in the movies.
Kajehase Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 05:33:48
The Sage Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 02:38:18
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

To hear Neil describe it, he's had many, many pitches about a Sandman movie or TV show, and he's turned them all down because it just wasn't *right.*

This gives me hope that if he said yes to American Gods, then the script is going to be good.

Cheers

Agreed.

As I said earlier, his script for a Doctor Who episode of the current series, is a grand example of Neil's ability to write/approve material for the smaller screen.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 13 Jun 2011 : 02:20:35
To hear Neil describe it, he's had many, many pitches about a Sandman movie or TV show, and he's turned them all down because it just wasn't *right.*

This gives me hope that if he said yes to American Gods, then the script is going to be good.

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 12 Jun 2011 : 05:59:28

It's possible, so long as the author himself writes the script.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jun 2011 : 05:36:09
I've read that book more than once... I'm not sure how it's going to be drug out into a six year series...
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2011 : 03:31:52
This has likely been carried on by the overall success, also, of the Gaiman-scripted Doctor Who episode for the current series. 'Twas a real hit!

It is fantastic news, though, given the overall popularity of American Gods. I'll admit, however, that I've always harboured a secret hope for a Sandman television series.
Dennis Posted - 12 Jun 2011 : 03:13:57

A good news for those who read the novel. I haven't yet, though. Bought it long time ago, but just let it gather dust. The latest I can get to it would be next month...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000