Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who can?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  17:07:14  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey... I was thinking about Karsus the other day... no not like that... and if we believe him to be the casper of the most powerful spell ever since its a lvl 12, then is he indeed the most powerful spellcaster of all time. I’m not here thinking about the best tactisian, because that was evident at the time of the casting, but simply put in raw lvl of spells casted. If he is the most powerful ever, then what about guys like Ioulaum, Larloch and the Srinshee? Or indeed someone like the Terraseer?

Would they have the knowledge of the art necessary to pull off a lvl 12 spell, if indeed we forget about the ban of Mystra?... Or was Karsus a so talented so genius spellcaster that it was He himself, and only him who had/have ever achieved such knowledge; and by that; power???

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  17:17:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The difference between Karsus and the others isn't Spellcasting ability or power. It's ego. Karsus believed himself better than Mystra where the others don't.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  17:21:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go with Ashe on that one. It's all about hubris. And there have been instances of others casting uber-powerful spells with more levels than should be possible (Some of the stuff the Srinshee has done are probably just as powerful), but we just haven't seen stats on them.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  19:46:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Hey... I was thinking about Karsus the other day... no not like that...

-I was thinking about you too, big boy...

quote:

...and if we believe him to be the casper of the most powerful spell ever since its a lvl 12, then is he indeed the most powerful spellcaster of all time. I’m not here thinking about the best tactisian, because that was evident at the time of the casting, but simply put in raw lvl of spells casted. If he is the most powerful ever, then what about guys like Ioulaum, Larloch and the Srinshee? Or indeed someone like the Terraseer?

Would they have the knowledge of the art necessary to pull off a lvl 12 spell, if indeed we forget about the ban of Mystra?... Or was Karsus a so talented so genius spellcaster that it was He himself, and only him who had/have ever achieved such knowledge; and by that; power???

-Levelwise, if True 10+ Level magic was available contemporarily, plenty of magicians who existed now (1385 DR and before) would be able to utilize it. A lot of those magicians lived during the days before Mystra's Ban, so they had the ability to cast True 10+ Level magic (Ioulaum, Larloch, the Terraseer, etc.). Could they have cast a 12th Level spell? In theory, sure. Ioulaum would have been the most likely to, since he was a magical genius like myself, and possessed almost as much power, both magically and politically, back in the heyday of Netheril.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  19:57:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well said, but according to Ed, speaking at GenCon in one of those Realms seminars with Ed and various TSR staffers, there're other answers to "greatest spellcaster of all time."
Answer #1: We haven't had "all time" yet, so we can't answer that. We can only answer "greatest spellcaster to date."
Answer #2: Do you just mean humans? Or upright biped sentient races recognized as PC races in the rules? Because if not, forget almost all of your usual suspects for candidates. Some of those genius-level "wildmind" magical tinkerers among beholders have cast some awesome spells. Not to mention certain Sharn, and dragons. And are we talking solo spells, or "circle"/mythal/cooperative magics?
Answer #3: If you DO just mean human spellhurlers, the answer is pretty clear: Azuth.
Who cast a spell so complex, mighty, and subtle that only Mystra recognized it as the work of one man, and made him Magister. As Magister, he cast an even greater spell, and with Mystra's aid and Ao's assistance, ascended into godhood as a result (whereas Karsus tried to come in the back door, and failed to achieve unfettered lasting divinity). Both of these spells altered how magic works in the Realms. There was a reason Azuth was known as "the High One" among mages.

This all comes from Ed, circa 1987 or so, and was agreed with by the TSR folks on the panel (Jeff Grubb, Karen Boomgaarden, Don Sutherland . . .). I suppose Azuth's position (as a god) is why he always gets overlooked in these sorts of discussions.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  20:02:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, many thanks for that, THO. That really perks my interest- what was the spell? I don't recall it from my sources.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  20:07:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

...And are we talking solo spells, or "circle"/mythal/cooperative magics?

-Personally, I'd have to disqualify collective spells from the running, such as Thayvian Circle Magic, Waterdhavian Guild Magicians, and Elven High Magic Circles, among others, because they're utilizing the power of multiple individuals to power them. The...'grandeur' of those spell would have to be divided "per capita", for a lack of better words.

quote:

Answer #3: If you DO just mean human spellhurlers, the answer is pretty clear: Azuth.
Who cast a spell so complex, mighty, and subtle that only Mystra recognized it as the work of one man, and made him Magister. As Magister, he cast an even greater spell, and with Mystra's aid and Ao's assistance, ascended into godhood as a result (whereas Karsus tried to come in the back door, and failed to achieve unfettered lasting divinity). Both of these spells altered how magic works in the Realms. There was a reason Azuth was known as "the High One" among mages.

-Karsus' Avatar had a limited duration from the get-go. Once that duration ended, the spell would end, and the caster dead. Arguably, though, once cast, and divinity was achieved (especially if the deity of magic was the target), the "rules" could be changed to ensure that the temporary divinity would be permanent. And, perhaps I'm a little biased, but wresting control of the power of the goddess of magic by using a magic spell is a bit more impressive than being recognized and rewarded for crafting mighty works of magic with divinity. Apples and oranges, at the end of the day, but the narrative is stronger with the former than the latter for most people.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 May 2011 20:08:26
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  22:50:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about "human" spellcasters, since I don’t know of any creatures that have pulled off magic at that range. I know dragons are very powerful, and a highly magical being, but I have jet to read about a dragon so deep in the knowledge of the art that it could level mountains, by pure magical prowess. That said, I do also know that many things goes on in Fearun, that are far beyond my comprehension, and by that, maybe even who I deem the most powerful spellcasters might just as well be puny.

But... To reenter the question at hand, would it indeed be possible for others of likewise power, to cast a lvl 12 spell. And since im referring to a single entity casting a single spell, I would personally believe that the Srinshee would have to be able to pull that off. Mind you, this shall not turn into a vs thread, it is just a place for comtemplation of the entities of great magical power.

But THO could or would you shed some light on what spell Azuth did cast so many years ago!???
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  23:05:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But... To reenter the question at hand, would it indeed be possible for others of likewise power, to cast a lvl 12 spell. And since im referring to a single entity casting a single spell, I would personally believe that the Srinshee would have to be able to pull that off. Mind you, this shall not turn into a vs thread, it is just a place for comtemplation of the entities of great magical power.

-No. After Mystra reformed herself and the Weave after Karsus' Avatar was cast, "Mystra's Ban", as it's known as, came into effect. Because True 10+ Level Magic was so taxing on the Weave (part of the reason Mystryl committed suicide, rather than let Karsus take her position as deity of magic- she did not think he could deal with the constant repairing the Weave that the Netherese and Phaerimm magic was necessitating), Mystra rewove the Weave upon her birth to prevent magicians from being able to cast True 10+ Level magic. Instead, if magicians wanted to cast such potent magic again, they'd have to turn instead towards Epic Magic (3e terminology for the concept), where casters would draw from their own life essences (EXP and Ability Score costs for spells), as well as pool their resources (Spell Circles/Pools), to achieve such massive effects. The way True 10th+ Level magic worked was like spells below 10th Level worked- the caster did the necessary incantations, had the necessary components, and the Weave did the rest. Those True 10th+ Level spells were so taxing to the Weave that the reborn Mystra did not want to take a chance that the Weave would become as stretched and frayed as it did during the heydays of Netheril.

-Regarding the Srinshee's magical ability, she utilizes Epic Magic, which, again, while it mimics the effects of True 10th+ Level magic, in terms of effects, isn't True 10th+ Level Magic. Being the extraordinarily gifted magician that she is, with the Seldarine and Mystra's blessing (being a Chosen), her ability to cast Epic Spells that are normally shared by numerous casters to mitigate their negative effects are strengthened, so she appears that much stronger. After Mystra's Ban, nobody can use True 10th+ Level Magic.

-Mystra's death at the hands of Cyric in 1385 DR, and the complete elimination of the Weave makes things more difficult, in terms of lore. Using 4e terminology, there are 21 Levels of spells stronger than 9th now. I'd roughly equate those 30th Level spells with, in prior 3e D&D, Epic Magic, those 20-29th Level spells are in the 7th, 8th and 9th 3e/2e/1e area, and everything else accordingly.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  04:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Ooh, many thanks for that, THO. That really perks my interest- what was the spell? I don't recall it from my sources.

Was it the spell that trapped the Savras in his staff? Just for that I admit he is cool strong mage.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  05:10:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What was that spell he cast prior to and after he became a Magister?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  08:29:18  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose the exact details of those spells are NDA?

Regarding Mystra's Ban and 10+ level spells, if I recall the Secrets of the Magister sourcebook correctly, it says that 10+ spells can in fact still be cast - it's just all the rules for how to cast them have changed, and pretty much nobody has figured it out. The Srinshee and Elminster both know the 10th level form of the Srinshee's Spell Shift spell, for example. However, there's only a very small chance that 10+ level magic will work (a 1% chance for every few levels the character has or something like that?) - the Magister has the ability to cast a single 10+ level spell with a guaranteed chance of it working, but doing so means immediately sacrificing their office, and Mystra/Azuth can reverse the spell anyway if they disagree with its use.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  20:34:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again, all. They were two different spells, and yes, they're NDA until WotC permission is given.
Lord Karsus, my answer to the most powerful was what those "in the Realms," who are in a position to have educated opinions on magic, would think the most powerful spellcaster was.
For everyone else (we scribes and less-informed inhabitants of the Realms), it's purely a matter of limited knowledge and personal preferences.
I don't rate what Karsus did as highly, because it failed. Nor was he the first to try.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  00:32:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that last tid-bit really has my curiosity up now. Somehow, I've always suspected as much. But I suppose it's NDA too?

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  02:48:40  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

But... To reenter the question at hand, would it indeed be possible for others of likewise power, to cast a lvl 12 spell. And since im referring to a single entity casting a single spell, I would personally believe that the Srinshee would have to be able to pull that off. Mind you, this shall not turn into a vs thread; it is just a place for contemplation of the entities of great magical power.

-No. After Mystra reformed herself and the Weave after Karsus' Avatar was cast, "Mystra's Ban", as it's known as, came into effect.

I was thinking if the ban did not exist.

quote:
Originally posted by THO

Hi again, all. They were two different spells, and yes, they're NDA until WotC permission is given.

Is there a thing wotc hasn’t put a NDA on??? I mean it seam like every time someone asks about something that has not been published it is automatically a NDA? is this really so? Or have they gone through "all " of Ed's home written stuff and said: no, yes, no, no, no....

Im sorry but sometimes it just seems lame to prohibit so "old" knowledge. Especially after they altered the whole world that much. Why care about info on an "old"/"obsolete" setting... ohh well what can you expect.

But on a lighter note...

I think that some credit would have to go out to Karsus for actually bending "magic" to an extent that it ripped divinity from a god. It was not his spell that failed, (as far as I know), but the consequences that he hadn’t calculated properly.

So for sheer manipulation we have to give him credit!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  03:12:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra, I know SOME of the stories of previous ambitious "godhood-seizers" are NDA, but I believe Savras isn't. That tale was told at a public GenCon seminar panel, by Ed (the creator of Savras, not to mention Netheril and the wider Realms, too) sitting in a line of TSR staffers.
And Savras managed it, where Karsus didn't. Which would make him better than Karsus, if that's the yardstick someone is measuring "greatest spellcaster" by.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  04:58:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

So for sheer manipulation we have to give him credit!

And for the fact that he did it all by himself!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  05:14:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would surprise me if Mask pulled of a divinity stealing caper.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 25 May 2011 07:07:40
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  05:20:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't rate what Karsus did as highly, because it failed.

-He didn't, though. The spell worked as it intended to; he became deity of magic, for a limited amount of time. The fallout that happened afterward was because of the actions of Mystryl, not some flaw in the design of the spell, or it's effects. Trying to think of a good analogy...It'd be like saying a car wasn't properly put together if a driver drove it into a wall, causing it to get crushed beyond repair. The end result is still that the car was crushed beyond repair, but the fact that it is doesn't take away the fact that the mechanics who built the car did indeed built it to specs.

quote:

I was thinking if the ban did not exist.

-Oh. In that case, yeah, anyone who was "high enough level" would be able to use that kind of magic. They'd have to do more intensive research into developing their spells, but it'd be possible. Just another notch up further on the ladder to climb up.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 25 May 2011 05:35:59
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  07:58:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't rate what Karsus did as highly, because it failed.

-He didn't, though. The spell worked as it intended to; he became deity of magic, for a limited amount of time.

Agreed. That it was countered by Mystryl's suicide shouldn't be seen as a failure.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  08:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correction: the choice of the deity that had unique nature being a weave itself was failure. The human simply had no way with his entity, even with stolen power, to become the replacement for something that was magic itself on his own.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  08:23:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Correction: the choice of the deity that had unique nature being a weave itself was failure. The human simply had no way with his entity, even with stolen power, to become the replacement for something that was magic itself on his own.

That doesn't equate with the failure of his spell. It performed as he intended, albeit for just a fleeting moment.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  18:39:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Exactly. If the spell failed, and didn't worked, Mystryl wouldn't of needed to sacrifice herself to prevent the Weave from fraying beyond repair. His ultimate goal, to wrest control of her power forcibly, and use it to stop the Phaerimm and their lifedrain spells, that was the part of the equation that didn't go as planned.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  19:45:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Exactly. If the spell failed, and didn't worked, Mystryl wouldn't of needed to sacrifice herself to prevent the Weave from fraying beyond repair. His ultimate goal, to wrest control of her power forcibly, and use it to stop the Phaerimm and their lifedrain spells, that was the part of the equation that didn't go as planned.

He did fail in his objective, though: to steal deific power long enough to do something specific with it. He also failed in his objective to protect Netheril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  23:49:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! Karsus = EPIC FAIL!!! (In his objectives, at least....)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  01:28:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL! Karsus = EPIC FAIL!!! (In his objectives, at least....)

I know this is said in the spirit of jocularity... but to me, it just seems a little too simplistic to simply state Karsus as an EPIC FAIL!

And I think entirely too much emphasis is placed on his "Great Folly," especially when we seem too eager to disregard the amount of time, experience, and skill Karsus placed into researching his method of ascension in the first place.

Granted, the end result demonstrated by his method posed such a tragedy that it encompassed the entirety of the Realms in its scope of devastating consequences. But that shouldn't completely devalue the overall genius, nor the glimpse into the dangers of humanity reaching too far too quickly, that Karsus ultimately came to represent.

Our own real-world history is marked by a great folly here and there, and all made by remarkable individuals. But at the same time, both the world and human history learned something from them -- the individual and the folly.

I think Karsus and his Great Folly should be interpreted in much the same way.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  01:45:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when one aspires to epic heights, one should expect to FAIL epically. That was sort of my point. And your point is certainly true, Sage, but other than his "Folly", there doesn't seem to be much to the man. We've never really heard much about anything else he ever did- and I suspect it's because it was ALL he did worthy of any note. Honestly, I can't remember reading a single other thing he ever did that was even remembered!

It sort of puts me in mind of (as a RW example) King Harold during the Norman invasion. He's famous for loosing at Hastings- but does anyone even have a CLUE about anything else he ver did? Nope. Everything else was just not memorable enough. Without that battle, he'd be one of those rulers who just sort of faded into obscurity.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  03:34:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, when one aspires to epic heights, one should expect to FAIL epically. That was sort of my point. And your point is certainly true, Sage, but other than his "Folly", there doesn't seem to be much to the man.
While I do agree... the very fact that he launched such an audacious plan, suggests a particular degree of research and skill on his behalf. Something that hasn't been duplicated either before or since.

That's what I was getting at earlier. We shouldn't completely dismiss the path Karus took to his Folly, just because the end result went badly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  04:31:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

He did fail in his objective, though: to steal deific power long enough to do something specific with it. He also failed in his objective to protect Netheril.

-That much is true, in that he wasn't able to harness Mystryl's divine power long enough to do anything noteworthy with it (anything, period, really). His basic objective, to steal the power of a deity, did in fact get met, though with unforeseen consequences, and his spell most definitley worked. It's all about specificity.

quote:

And your point is certainly true, Sage, but other than his "Folly", there doesn't seem to be much to the man. We've never really heard much about anything else he ever did- and I suspect it's because it was ALL he did worthy of any note. Honestly, I can't remember reading a single other thing he ever did that was even remembered!

-He kinda was the most gifted magical prodigy a highly magical nation had ever seen, and went on to lead that highly magical nation by default (however decentralized it's government was) for X amount of time.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 10 Jun 2011 04:34:18
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  05:22:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

-That much is true, in that he wasn't able to harness Mystryl's divine power long enough to do anything noteworthy with it (anything, period, really). His basic objective, to steal the power of a deity, did in fact get met, though with unforeseen consequences, and his spell most definitley worked. It's all about specificity.

quote:

And your point is certainly true, Sage, but other than his "Folly", there doesn't seem to be much to the man. We've never really heard much about anything else he ever did- and I suspect it's because it was ALL he did worthy of any note. Honestly, I can't remember reading a single other thing he ever did that was even remembered!

-He kinda was the most gifted magical prodigy a highly magical nation had ever seen, and went on to lead that highly magical nation by default (however decentralized it's government was) for X amount of time.

The architectural designs of the buildings in his city were also a breakthrough, albeit they defied logic. And of course, let's not forget that he once apprenticed one of Toril's current most powerful badass, Telamont.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  18:15:22  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The architectural designs of the buildings in his city were also a breakthrough, albeit they defied logic. And of course, let's not forget that he once apprenticed one of Toril's current most powerful badass, Telamont.

-Only one other enclave exists, that we know of, that, seemingly, was as "advanced" as Karsus' Enclave, and that would be Nagareth, based off of the awesome information that Erik was able to share with me, vis-a-vis why the architecture was right out of Maurits C. Escher's Relativity, or House of Stairs paintings.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 10 Jun 2011 18:15:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: