Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Aerdie Faenya anyone?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  02:44:42  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im looking for lore about the Elven Goddess of the wind, mostly about her clergy and rituals. I made some research on the net but i havent found much. Can you point me to any sources?

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  03:07:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently did a lot of research on the subject as I have a campaign I'm working on involving Elven Eagleriders and Avariel. The most comprehensive source is 2e's Monster Mythology summarized HERE. I doubt she is even alive in 4e if thats your game. There was some speculation and some great lore to be found in Gray Richardson's awesome Aearee scroll found HERE.

edit: I just checked my files and Deities and Demigods, also 2e is definitely the more complete of the two entries. Either way, the webpage contains most if not all of what's published there. Sorry.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 16 Apr 2011 03:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  07:10:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Elves of Faerūn has information about her in the 'deities' chapter (duh). It's drawn mostly from 2e's Demihuman Deities, with newer stuff from Faiths and Pantheons mixed in, when applicable, as well as stuff gleaned from novels (admittedly, though, there's very little). Other things, like signature spells, or Prestige Classes, also were translated into 3e from 2e when they needed to be, in other chapters.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  19:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Book in the Evereska entry on p.130 in which it was revealed that Aerdrie Faenya turns out to be an aspect of Akadi, the elemental god (or primordial) of air: "the awe inspiring Floating Gardens of Aerdrie Faenya provide a tranquil respite. Though confusion accompanied the revelations that Hanali Celanil was in fact the elven aspect of the goddess Sune and that Aerdrie Faenya was none other than the primordial Akadi, the worship of the goddess of beauty and the Lord of Sky Home are still major parts of life in Evereska."

The elves don't seem to mind too much, and continue to worship her under the Aerdrie name.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  20:21:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

See the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Book in the Evereska entry on p.130 in which it was revealed that Aerdrie Faenya turns out to be an aspect of Akadi, the elemental god (or primordial) of air: "the awe inspiring Floating Gardens of Aerdrie Faenya provide a tranquil respite. Though confusion accompanied the revelations that Hanali Celanil was in fact the elven aspect of the goddess Sune and that Aerdrie Faenya was none other than the primordial Akadi, the worship of the goddess of beauty and the Lord of Sky Home are still major parts of life in Evereska."

The elves don't seem to mind too much, and continue to worship her under the Aerdrie name.

I just don't understand why Akadi couldn't be the aspect instead of the other way around. If we go by lore reference, aren't the elven gods much older?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  01:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the elven gods are older than the Primordials. In the Forgotten Realms, elves were "created" by Corellon around 32,000 years ago (give or take). Not sure that the elven gods would be too much older than that. Although, they could have been around longer in other universes/crystal spheres.

But, It's no big deal if Aerdrie Faenya is an aspect of Akadi, or vice-versa. The lore for both powers still stands. Aerdrie hasn't gone away. She is still worshiped by elves under that name and image. All the myths about Aerdrie still apply. As far as the elves are concerned, the elementals worship Aerdrie under a different name. I'm sure that the elves feel as you do that Akadi is an aspect of Aerdrie.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  01:29:38  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Aerdrie Faenya (DD p114-118) (RoF p31-34) (PGtF p23) (DDaD p10) (Ruin p201)
a. The Aerie of the Snow Eagles (DD p116) (RoF p31)
b. Led for 500 years by Aguilan Greatspan [fighter/cleric/divine disciple/hierophant of Aerdrie Faenya 4/12/5/1] (DD p116) (RoF p31)
c. Avariel are deeply religious (RoF p33)
d. Sacred animals are tressrym, birds, and swarms (DDaD p10)
e. Sacred monsters are aarakocras, aasimar, air elementals, androsphinxes, avoral celestials, cloud giants, djinn, griffons, hippogriffs, lammasus, lillends, pegasi, pixies, silver dragons, and storm giants (DDaD p10)
f. Sacred gems/precious metals are hornbill ivory, sapphire and turquoise (DDaD p10)
g. Sacred color is sky blue (DDaD p10)
h. Other manifestations are strong winds, rainshowers, and storms (DDaD p10)

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 18 Apr 2011 01:31:19
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  01:50:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry...I didn't make myself clear I guess. I didn't mean lore, but by publication reference.

I agree though, it really makes little difference lore wise.

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I don't think the elven gods are older than the Primordials. In the Forgotten Realms, elves were "created" by Corellon around 32,000 years ago (give or take). Not sure that the elven gods would be too much older than that. Although, they could have been around longer in other universes/crystal spheres.

But, It's no big deal if Aerdrie Faenya is an aspect of Akadi, or vice-versa. The lore for both powers still stands. Aerdrie hasn't gone away. She is still worshiped by elves under that name and image. All the myths about Aerdrie still apply. As far as the elves are concerned, the elementals worship Aerdrie under a different name. I'm sure that the elves feel as you do that Akadi is an aspect of Aerdrie.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  23:03:59  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using third edition Realms, the year of my campaign is 1383 but the Spellplague will not happen at all.

Thank you for your replies, this is more than i hoped!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  20:22:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also use the 3.5 ed book Faiths and Pantheons. It has lore on both goddesses, though admittedly not much. The Demihuman Deities book from @nd ed is much more detailed, IMO.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000