Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dove Falconhand worshipping Mielikki
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  09:36:22  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was browsing the first edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Set and noticed that, in the Dove Falconhand entry, she was a worshiper of Mielikki. Aside from this source, is there any other reference to her worshiping Mielikki? Does she worship both Mielikki and Mystra? Did she change deities at some point?

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  09:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hall of Heroes also states she's a follower of Mielikki. This may be a question for Ed.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  10:04:29  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not uncommon. Qilué for example worshipped Mystra and Eilistraee and was a choosen of both
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  10:12:12  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, that much I knew from the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but I know that's not a complete reference by a long shot. The Seven Sisters fascinate me, so I read those articles a lot. Does Dove appear in any of the novels? If I recall correctly, she played a minor role in one of the novels with Sharantyr in it (it was a long while ago that I read them, so I might be getting her confused with a different Sister). Maybe one of the novels can shed some light?

Edit: Just noticed that, on the same page in the FRCS, it says that Elminster has no patron deity, so Dove worshiping Mielikki might not be accurate, despite that other reference. Still would like to see what other people say, though.

Edited by - Cronje on 05 May 2011 10:16:08
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  11:28:29  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cronje

Aye, that much I knew from the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but I know that's not a complete reference by a long shot. The Seven Sisters fascinate me, so I read those articles a lot. Does Dove appear in any of the novels? If I recall correctly, she played a minor role in one of the novels with Sharantyr in it (it was a long while ago that I read them, so I might be getting her confused with a different Sister). Maybe one of the novels can shed some light?

Edit: Just noticed that, on the same page in the FRCS, it says that Elminster has no patron deity, so Dove worshiping Mielikki might not be accurate, despite that other reference. Still would like to see what other people say, though.

Not speaking for Ed, of course, but based on his (and THO's) writings in his thread, and in general, religious worship in the Realms is very much non-exclusive. Even priests can (and do) pay homage to deities other than their patron on a regular basis. The precise reference escapes me, but THO once mentioned the case of a priestess of Bane who made regular devotions to Ilmater (I'm sure Sage or someone else can point to the exact page) . The patron deities listed in the NPC descriptions would be the deities the NPC turns to mostly, or which are closest to his or her beliefs, but this does not mean that they pay homage and devotion to other deities. This approach to religious worship is probably one of the least developed aspects of published FR Lore.

From what I remember, Dove was listed in the original Grey Box (1987, way before the concept of the Chosen became part of published realms material) as worshipping Mielikki. As she is a ranger, this should not be a surprise. As a ranger, in 1E and 2E, she had access to divine magic. According to The Seven Sisters, she prays to Mystra for renewal of her spells. In spite of this, I think it is logical for her to pay homage to Mielikki, given that Dove is, first and foremost, a ranger, and Mielikki is the patron of rangers (much like any mage, regardless of alignment, would pay homage to Mystra in one way or the other). She would not be a priestess, or even a servant of Mielikki (like Qilué is to Eilistraee), but she could be a devotee.

Edit: Oh, and Dove played a supporting role in Exile, the second book in the Dark Elf trilogy.

Edited by - Thauramarth on 05 May 2011 11:32:12
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  18:07:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A lot of "fuzziness" in that regard has to do with the development of the setting. Many of the concepts, people, places, and so on, weren't fully developed to the degree that we recognize them now- or even developed at all- at the time the setting was first released.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  03:30:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

Not speaking for Ed, of course, but based on his (and THO's) writings in his thread, and in general, religious worship in the Realms is very much non-exclusive. Even priests can (and do) pay homage to deities other than their patron on a regular basis.

Correct. Provided, of course, that the deities being worshiped are not enemies. One can't expect a priestess to worship both Shar and Selune at the same time.

On the matter about Dove worshiping Mielikki, well, you did point out the obvious thing that makes such "dual faith" not surprising: Dove is a ranger, and Mielikki is The Supreme Ranger.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  14:06:53  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DennisOn the matter about Dove worshiping Mielikki, well, you did point out the obvious thing that makes such "dual faith" not surprising: Dove is a ranger, and Mielikki is The Supreme Ranger.

Most of the deities indicated on the old box were based on alignment and class. There is some sort of deities' guide in the 1e FR material, I just don't remember if it was in the original box or in some accessory (like "Waterdeep and the North").
The question is: was that published according to Ed's idea, or revised by him? Maybe that's a question for the Chamber os Sages...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  23:03:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was browsing the first edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Set and noticed that, in the Dove Falconhand entry, she was a worshiper of Mielikki. Aside from this source, is there any other reference to her worshiping Mielikki? Does she worship both Mielikki and Mystra? Did she change deities at some point?

The 2E lorebook Code of the Harpers says that she was secretly one of Mystra's Chosen. Could she have publicly worshipped Mielikki, and privately Mystra?

She was known to have preferred melee to magic, so maybe it was a little about keeping up appearances?

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Edit: Oh, and Dove played a supporting role in Exile, the second book in the Dark Elf trilogy.

Correction: She appeared in the third book, Sojourn. That was the book in which Drizzt became a surface-dweller. He was still living in the Underdark in the second.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  04:28:09  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to point that out, too, but BEAST beat me to it. Nice catch. Also, although she is a Chosen, as BEAST pointed out, she prefers melee to magic. This probably colors her duties to Mystra to some extent, and might also be why she worships Mielikki.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  15:25:45  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, gal and guys! I've sent our questions to Ed's scroll, let's see what he or THO can say about it!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  12:26:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey gal and guys,

Ed has replied our question in his scrolls, let's go check it out: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14621&whichpage=36

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  00:27:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ed just confirmed that everything we said is correct.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000