Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Lamruil Moonflower
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yriel
Acolyte

Malaysia
2 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2011 :  10:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Yriel's Homepage Send Yriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello I’m a newbie so I’m not sure if this is the right place to post.

Okay, remember hearing a while back that Elaine Cunningham was writing a follow up to Evermeet: Island of Elves, if I recall it would continue Prince Lamruil journey in creating a new Elf kingdom on the mainland using the tree of souls. Anyone know if it’s true ? or what happen to it?.

I’m probably one the few who actually took a liking to Lamruil when I was reading Island of Elves and really would like to know what happen to the guy. Grand History only says that he when looking for his bride with the dude from Last Mythal.

Edited by - Yriel on 01 Jan 2011 10:26:40

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2011 :  10:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think anything is known about Lamruil's later fate.
There was a small snippet about Auseriel on Wizards' website, but that's all.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  14:42:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have "The Grand History of the Realms" here with me, but if I recall correctly, there are earlier references of the settling of Auseriel, and of the atack of white dragons and disappearance of Maura after that.

I think Mrs. Cunningham intended to write more about it someday, before the changes of the 4th edition were released. With the new edition's changings in the setting and the new timeline, she would have - unfortunately - declared this story development as an improbable event.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  16:38:05  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fate of Lamruil, along with the other lost children of Amlaruil and Zaor, Halaster, the Harper Schism, the return of Bane, and Rowen Cormaeril are among the stories that i wanted to see elaborated the most, but never happened. Being an eternal optimist though, i sincerely hope we will someday learn more about all of them and their fates.
(yes, i am aware of Halasters demise in the adventure i cant remember the name of, i'ts just my oponion that he certainly deserved at least a novel, be it of his origins or of his demise.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  18:24:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

(yes, i am aware of Halasters demise in the adventure i cant remember the name of, i'ts just my oponion that he certainly deserved at least a novel, be it of his origins or of his demise.)

I found that adventure painfully disappointing, particularly with the lack of info on what caused Hally's demise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  23:18:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I found that adventure painfully disappointing, particularly with the lack of info on what caused Hally's demise.

And the module being referred to, was Expedition to Undermountain.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  01:16:12  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
And the module being referred to, was Expedition to Undermountain.

Thankee Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  14:08:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Yriel. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Yes, you are correct that a follow-up story focusing on Prince Lamruil was in the works. This was a novella-length story entitled "Tree of Souls," and it would have dealt with Lamruil's attempts to found a kingdom in a remote valley in the far north--a story that would have owed a debt of inspiration to the James Hilton classic LOST HORIZONS. It was contracted for the anthology REALMS OF THE ELVES. Unfortunately, illness intervened. I lost a lot of writing time and asked to be released from the contract. The story was outlined in detail, but not written. Even if it had been completed, the NDA clause in any WotC contract prohibits me from discussing the details of any unpublished work.

But!

There will be more information about Lamruil in THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER, which will be out in 2012.

And!

If time permits and the folks at WotC are interested, I would like to revisit "Tree of Souls," perhaps as free webfiction for the WotC website, published as a serial novella. Pathfinder Tales is doing this on the Paizo website, and I think it's a great way to get people involved in the fiction. Since I have not published a new novel in the Realms for several years, my work isn't familiar to many of the new readers, and it seems to me that long-time Realms fans might be interested in revisiting old friends. Good promotion all around.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  14:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is definately an interest in having you write more realms stories EC!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  14:52:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

But!

There will be more information about Lamruil in THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER, which will be out in 2012.

And!

If time permits and the folks at WotC are interested, I would like to revisit "Tree of Souls," perhaps as free webfiction for the WotC website, published as a serial novella.

Thats amazing news Elaine! I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for that novel. Crossing fingers and toes regarding that webfiction idea. Here's to hope!
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  18:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But!

And!

If time permits and the folks at WotC are interested, I would like to revisit "Tree of Souls," perhaps as free webfiction for the WotC website, published as a serial novella.

Thats amazing news Elaine! I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for that novel. Crossing fingers and toes regarding that webfiction idea. Here's to hope!

I'll second that! Elaine, does Maura star in "Tree of Souls"?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  20:15:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to know Elanie.

2012 is gonna be a good year for Realms fiction.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  13:42:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael
Elaine, does Maura star in "Tree of Souls"?

The direction taken by the Grand History is substantially different from what I'd had in mind, so at this point, I'm not sure WHAT "Tree of Souls" would be. I'd have to rethink pretty much the whole story line. But since Maura is alive during this time and since she was betrothed to Lamruil, it seems likely that she would be a part of the story in some way.

But we're jumping the gun here. When SERPENT'S DAUGHTER is in the can--revised, copyedited, and so on--I'll run this notion past the folks at WotC.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  14:02:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ALL HAIL ELATH THE SERPENT C.(whose last name I can never spell), BUT FEAR HIS DAUGHTER EVEN MORE!!!!

Hi Elaine...

sorry couldn't resist

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Yriel
Acolyte

Malaysia
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  14:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Yriel's Homepage Send Yriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Yriel. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Yes, you are correct that a follow-up story focusing on Prince Lamruil was in the works. This was a novella-length story entitled "Tree of Souls," and it would have dealt with Lamruil's attempts to found a kingdom in a remote valley in the far north--a story that would have owed a debt of inspiration to the James Hilton classic LOST HORIZONS. It was contracted for the anthology REALMS OF THE ELVES. Unfortunately, illness intervened. I lost a lot of writing time and asked to be released from the contract. The story was outlined in detail, but not written. Even if it had been completed, the NDA clause in any WotC contract prohibits me from discussing the details of any unpublished work.

But!

Wow, thanks for the reply.

Awesome news indeed. I’ll be sure to pick The Serpent's Daughter when it hits the shelves.

quote:

And!

If time permits and the folks at WotC are interested, I would like to revisit "Tree of Souls," perhaps as free webfiction for the WotC website, published as a serial novella. Pathfinder Tales is doing this on the Paizo website, and I think it's a great way to get people involved in the fiction. Since I have not published a new novel in the Realms for several years, my work isn't familiar to many of the new readers, and it seems to me that long-time Realms fans might be interested in revisiting old friends. Good promotion all around.

Can’t wait. Hopefully we can all “Hail to the king?, baby “
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  19:01:13  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just can't wait... And now it seems The Hobbit will indeed be released at the end of this year...

quote:

And!

Great news indeed, Mrs. Cunningham! At least, a good idea and wonderful prospect, along with the Reclamation tying the loose ends of the Sword & Song series. Is it still a possibility you intend to discuss in the future?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 05 Jan 2011 19:05:25
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  21:13:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

I just can't wait... And now it seems The Hobbit will indeed be released at the end of this year...

quote:

And!

Great news indeed, Mrs. Cunningham! At least, a good idea and wonderful prospect, along with the Reclamation tying the loose ends of the Sword & Song series. Is it still a possibility you intend to discuss in the future?

Hmm. I'd have to say it's a possibility, but only in the "anything's possible" sense.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  17:47:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm. I'd have to say it's a possibility, but only in the "anything's possible" sense.

Well, at least some of those loose ends will be answered in The Serpent's Daughter, am I right?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  19:01:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, at least some of those loose ends will be answered in The Serpent's Daughter, am I right?

Yep!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  23:23:31  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too am waiting for said loose ends tied.....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  12:53:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I too am waiting for said loose ends tied.....

Lest this discussion foster expectations destined to remain unmet, I should probably say that The Serpent's Daughter is NOT the conclusion to the Songs & Swords series. It's a standalone novel, and as such, it does not address all of the unresolved story threads from S&S or Evermeet. A few questions are answered, yes, but a few more are raised.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  06:25:17  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(...) The Serpent's Daughter is NOT the conclusion to the Songs & Swords series. It's a standalone novel, and as such, it does not address all of the unresolved story threads from S&S or Evermeet. A few questions are answered, yes, but a few more are raised.

And we're sure it will be a great novel, Mrs. Cunningham. Of course your fans (and fans of Danilo/Arilyn and Elaith) want to see some of those old questions solved/revealed, but we all must be aware that this is the beginning of a new series, with Azariah as the main character.

That's why I asked you if there were plans of telling those stories AFTER the release of The Serpent's Daughter, just like you mentioned could happen with The Tree of Souls, and maybe in another format. And just as you told us, it's "not impossible"...

But now there's another story to tell, and I'm quite sure soon people will want the answers to the loose ties of Azariah's story!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  14:40:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

(...) The Serpent's Daughter is NOT the conclusion to the Songs & Swords series. It's a standalone novel, and as such, it does not address all of the unresolved story threads from S&S or Evermeet. A few questions are answered, yes, but a few more are raised.

And we're sure it will be a great novel, Mrs. Cunningham. Of course your fans (and fans of Danilo/Arilyn and Elaith) want to see some of those old questions solved/revealed, but we all must be aware that this is the beginning of a new series, with Azariah as the main character.

That's why I asked you if there were plans of telling those stories AFTER the release of The Serpent's Daughter, just like you mentioned could happen with The Tree of Souls, and maybe in another format. And just as you told us, it's "not impossible"...

But now there's another story to tell, and I'm quite sure soon people will want the answers to the loose ties of Azariah's story!

Yikes. It would seem that I misspoke. THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER is a stand-alone novel, not the beginning of a new series. I can see how the mention of untied story threads would give that impression.

Without going into detail, the "loose threads" I spoke of in TSD involve the fate of familiar characters. Some of those stories are resolved, some are advanced but not resolved. Those advances are the new loose threads in TSD. There are no cliff-hangers or other obvious bids for a sequel.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  19:47:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It would seem that I misspoke. THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER is a stand-alone novel, not the beginning of a new series. I can see how the mention of untied story threads would give that impression. (...)There are no cliff-hangers or other obvious bids for a sequel.

Well, I really had the impression that it would be a stand-alone novel, but with new loose ties that could allow future possibilities... By the way, was Elfshadow written initially as a stand-alone novel, or the idea of a series was there from the very beggining?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  23:13:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
It would seem that I misspoke. THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER is a stand-alone novel, not the beginning of a new series. I can see how the mention of untied story threads would give that impression. (...)There are no cliff-hangers or other obvious bids for a sequel.

Well, I really had the impression that it would be a stand-alone novel, but with new loose ties that could allow future possibilities... By the way, was Elfshadow written initially as a stand-alone novel, or the idea of a series was there from the very beggining?

It was written as a stand-alone novel. That was the original intention for the Harper series.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  09:50:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(About Elfshadow)
It was written as a stand-alone novel. That was the original intention for the Harper series.

And yet, it was developed in a wonderful series. I see TSD is a stand-alone novel, but I'm sure that, potentially, sequels are entirely possible. Of course I haven't seen much of the new novel, but based on your previous work, Mrs. Cunningham, there is a good chance of it being the first of a new set of books.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 12 Jan 2011 09:53:19
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  21:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was finally able to get my hands on "Evermeet: Island of the Elves" and I was blown away! Definitely one of the best, if not the best, Realms novel that I've read!

I'm sure you've heard this many times Elaine but kudos to you! This was an absolutely fantastic novel!

One of my favorite characters was Lamruil Moonflower. I know that he's off with Araevin Teshurr searching for Maura, but have there been any other novels or short stories written about him? I'd really like to know what's become of him and his new Kingdom.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  22:42:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

I was finally able to get my hands on "Evermeet: Island of the Elves" and I was blown away! Definitely one of the best, if not the best, Realms novel that I've read!

I'm sure you've heard this many times Elaine but kudos to you! This was an absolutely fantastic novel!

One of my favorite characters was Lamruil Moonflower. I know that he's off with Araevin Teshurr searching for Maura, but have there been any other novels or short stories written about him? I'd really like to know what's become of him and his new Kingdom.

Thanks for the kind word, SLD. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed Danilo's first novel. I try not to resent, overmuch, the fact that he's a better writer than I am.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing more written of Lamruil. He is mentioned, however, in the upcoming (2012) novel The Serpent's Daughter.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  05:01:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Blatant plug! Hey, that's okay, though- I'd be doing it too... And rest assured, that tome will be in my Amazon cart the moment it comes out.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  13:11:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One does what one can. :)

Seriously, though, I have a hard time figuring out what type and frequency of self-promotion is acceptable.

A lot of author self-promotion gives me a bad case of the twitching heebie-jeebies. I cringed yesterday when I read an author's description of a WIP as "crazy, cool, and sexy!" Or someone who points out on facebook that she just posted "a wonderful little excerpt" of her upcoming book. Or writers who gush, "I just KNOW you'll love it!" I still feel stunned when I recall a fantasy writer's blog assertion that he seldom reads fantasy because most fantasy writers, unlike him, were not trained to think logically. (Especially when he followed this pronouncement with an excerpt that contained at least three glaring examples of plot logic....) It strikes me as unseemly for people to praise themselves in this manner. But, obviously, YMMV.

I know that self-promotion is vital these days. And for all I know, the effusive self-praise approach might be effective. But to me, self-praising authors bring to mind a four-year-old princess wannabe twirling in her sparkly pink tu-tu and fairy wings and while shrilling, "Lookit me! Lookit me!"

Since I have to live with myself--and because pink sparkles is NOT a good look for me--I limit self-promotion to announcements of upcoming work, excerpts, related short fiction, and the occasional contest.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  16:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know that self-promotion is vital these days. And for all I know, the effusive self-praise approach might be effective. But to me, self-praising authors bring to mind a four-year-old princess wannabe twirling in her sparkly pink tu-tu and fairy wings and while shrilling, "Lookit me! Lookit me!"

Since I have to live with myself--and because pink sparkles is NOT a good look for me--I limit self-promotion to announcements of upcoming work, excerpts, related short fiction, and the occasional contest.

And that's a good image and a good idea for you, Elaine...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000