Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Haer'dalis and his ancestry?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  15:59:12  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Baldur's gate 2 there was a tiefling named Haer'dalis. I've always wanted to know his ancestry. The guy doesn't seem to me very diabolic or devilish. And he has no horns or goat-like legs. He doesn't remind me a rakshasa.
Maybe he is a dascendant of an evil god? Then which one?
He has blue hair. Maybe he is a child of a night hag?
Any ideas?

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagined Haer'dalis as a sort of a plane-touched - that is, a person whose planar ancestor was several generations back. I think I used a twinkler (sp? from Fiend Folio, near maelut) to represent him, because I thought the FF art looked like him.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:00:07  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, it just says that he "has a fiend in his ancestry," not the type of fiend. Nor does it say which ancestor. Could be a mother or father, or could be further back. Might be a lot further back.

On the other hand, I guess the good thing about that is you can make his ancestral fiend any type of fiend you'd like.

That said, he is a Doomguard of Sigil, so that might give some clues as to his fiendish ancestry.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:04:30  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What clues? Sadly, I don't know much about doomguards.
And maybe you can tell me number of the pages with twinkler and maelut?

Edited by - Jelennet on 07 Apr 2011 17:19:18
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been a long time since I have played BG2, but wasn't his entire family tieflings? To me, that would indicate a society of tieflings that breeds a true "race" of tieflings (like the half-elves of the Yuirwood (sp?)). If that is the case, then he could have any number of fiendish forebearers.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:25:28  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really fluent with Planescape, so I don't really know. I just mention it because it might give some clues to those who know Planescape / Sigil.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  19:59:09  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall him having a Demon master so I always assumed he was descended from a Tanar'ri (and he was Chaotic Neutral and had a unique sword named "Chaos").

However, I don't recall any hints to specifically what sort of entity he was descended from. I think its possible he wouldn't necessarily even know himself! I don't think him being a Doomguard would give any hint to whether he's descended from a Tanar'ri or Baatezu because there are members of all alignments. Although the Doomguard sounds chaotic in the Factol Manifesto two of the four leaders are Lawful Neutral, one is neutral good, and one is chaotic neutral.
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  07:57:05  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I imagined Haer'dalis as a sort of a plane-touched - that is, a person whose planar ancestor was several generations back. I think I used a twinkler (sp? from Fiend Folio, near maelut) to represent him, because I thought the FF art looked like him.

Still haven't found a creature called twinkler in Fiend Folio (what page?). Maybe you wanted to say shyft or mechanatrix? They're both near maeluth.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  10:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe it was shyft in the English version. Clearly not mechanatrix. (My FF is Polish, thus the confusion).

Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  12:37:10  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or maybe it was shyft in the English version. Clearly not mechanatrix. (My FF is Polish, thus the confusion).

I've got the English version. You mean: a tall slim one with long black hair with a short swort and a crossbow? Descended from the Ethereal plane?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  14:13:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he was a tiefling, and the troupe he was traveling iwth was also indeadtiefling.

however, even in iwd where we were able to play tielfings, they also had no tail and horns.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  16:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

quote:

I've got the English version. You mean: a tall slim one with long black hair with a short swort and a crossbow? Descended from the Ethereal plane?

Yeah. That's it.

-------------
@ sfdragon: The conclusion among the Planescape/BG fans is that the 'tiefling' was just a filler for various planetouched from Sigil.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  18:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would assume based on the details in the game, that he was a tiefling of mixed fiendish heritage. The tieflings of sigil are in essence a true-breeding population descended from multiple mortal races and virtually every type of fiend out there. Most of them aren't going to have a clue what sort of fiend(s) lurk in their bloodline.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  00:12:08  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

I would assume based on the details in the game, that he was a tiefling of mixed fiendish heritage. The tieflings of sigil are in essence a true-breeding population descended from multiple mortal races and virtually every type of fiend out there. Most of them aren't going to have a clue what sort of fiend(s) lurk in their bloodline.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if a great many Sigilians had no clue about who one or the other of their parents is, let alone their family tree.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000