Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wise Wishing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  03:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

As a DM, a player, and a reader of Realms' fiction, I am often baffled with the Wishspell. Casting aside the variations of the spell momentarily, I'm curious about or for what your character would wish if he or she were in the Realms (please state the year or era in which you're casting). Being focused on the English language as someone who holds a degree in said subject, I often enjoy having my PCs sit down and try to discern (generally argumentatively amongst each other) how I might twist their wish spells. I believe that this is why the Wish is so rarely used in Realm novels, and so I am intrigued in the other scribes' thoughts on the matter, here within Candlekeep's hallowed, virtual halls. Once a wish is "cast" by a scribe, I welcome other scribes to point out how a wish might be construed. The intent if this discussion is some fun and mirth, and so although it goes without saying, I hope that all who post will follow the Keep's Code of Conduct. Keep it fun, please. Also, under what conditions do you consider a wish complete? For example, my PCs know that certain conjunctions (and, or, but) usually immediately trigger the wish. And before asked, I'll answer the question that I'll be posting my own wish as soon as I can formulate it.

Happy wishing!

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.

Edited by - Azuth on 03 Apr 2011 04:02:55

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  03:42:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish this wish wasn't granted.

(Then see Ayrik scuttle off with the confused genie's loot)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  03:53:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wish WotC would publish PSK's Godborn this year!

---

Seldom are wish spells used in novels, or revealed to have been used. Some unnamed spells, like that binding Telamont used against Mephistopheles, and that shield he erected to deflect the Chosen's silverfire, might be wish spells. If I recall it right, Tam also used them in the HL trilogy, as [again, if I remember it correctly] noted by Lallara in their final confrontation.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  03:56:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis — Telamont's spell might have been unique (or indeed, purposely invented/adapted and left vague because what mattered was how it worked in the story); but also might have been a "standard" spell like true name, binding, spiritwrack, trap the soul, imprisonment, etc

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I wish this wish wasn't granted.

(Then see Ayrik scuttle off with the confused genie's loot)

I dare say this will be difficult enough without involving extraplanar creatures.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:11:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My minotaur wished to permanently be under the effects of a fly spell, with unlimited duration and under his full control.

I'm a devious sort, so I spent time pondering that one, making sure I worded it in such as a way as to not be twisted (I still have, I believe, the full written version around here someplace). After I'd pondered it, sat on it for a while, then pondered it some more, I made an INT check for my minotaur, to see if he'd come up with that wording*.

* I'm smarter than that character, so I often made INT checks to see if he'd think of something I came up with. That was a self-imposed penalty; to try to prevent the metagaming inevitable with a situation like that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My minotaur wished to permanently be under the effects of a fly spell, with unlimited duration and under his full control.

I'm a devious sort, so I spent time pondering that one, making sure I worded it in such as a way as to not be twisted (I still have, I believe, the full written version around here someplace). After I'd pondered it, sat on it for a while, then pondered it some more, I made an INT check for my minotaur, to see if he'd come up with that wording*.

* I'm smarter than that character, so I often made INT checks to see if he'd think of something I came up with. That was a self-imposed penalty; to try to prevent the metagaming inevitable with a situation like that.

The wording would be the key, as the "and" clause would kick a spell off in my games. Something like "I wish to be permanently affected by a spell of flight that shall remain totally under my control until I have reached the end of my natural life." (This allows you to maintain the spell through, say, a Raise Dead or Ressurection I'd say. Or does it?) I'll usually allow the conjunction "until" in a wish.

Lord of All Spells

Edited by - Azuth on 03 Apr 2011 04:34:00
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:40:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I don't allow "And" in any wish at all...that one can cause BAD mojo for a character.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:40:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dennis — Telamont's spell might have been unique (or indeed, purposely invented/adapted and left vague because what mattered was how it worked in the story); but also might have been a "standard" spell like true name, binding, spiritwrack, trap the soul, imprisonment, etc

So he thought the Chosen and Mephisto are nothing but "standard" [ordinary] opponents that he would only use "standard" spells against them? Not that I don't like that idea. I could imagine him saying in his haughtiest disposition, "Begone, you insignificant insects!"

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  05:01:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis — the "standard" spells I listed above have unsurpassed potency when the subject's true name is known and the spell is cast by a wizard of Telamont's superior caliber. Also, consider that his magic was fortified by his handpicked team of elite archwizard minions, and was evidently drawing power from his mythallar.

My tendency is to think, speak, and write language in a literal, precise, and mathematical manner; alas, I also tend to misinterpret the language when I hear or read it in the same terms. The words AND, OR, and NOT serve very strict (Boolean) functions within my language, yet not so within common English usage; they are consequently excellent words upon which to pivot a convoluted wish.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Apr 2011 05:04:29
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  05:07:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like AND because so many players try to get more than one thing while using it...so it is more likely my dislike of greed that makes me twist wishes with "and" inside them.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  05:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I don't like AND because so many players try to get more than one thing while using it...so it is more likely my dislike of greed that makes me twist wishes with "and" inside them.

Precisely so, which is why I generally trigger the wish when a conjunction is spoken. "And," "or," "if," and "but" are the biggest offenders.

Arik, I've dealt in programming languages, and understand literal interpretation of words well, which may explain why I use them as trigger words. To me, when a character tries to conditionally clause his wish, the spell gets tired of waiting and triggers. Since I like to think that my sole purpose in life isn't just to try the patience of my players, I allow "unless" or "until" as long as they're used well in the wish. Although I did once have a player end her wish with "unless this wish doesn't take effect as I want it to" and I triggered the wish because of a dangling preposition.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  05:58:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I suppose only a mathematician, computer programmer, or semantic logician would understand Boolean logic. Three in one for me, so I find technical misuse of conjunctions/operators rather difficult to overlook. It's less about neurotic obsession and more about having a sometimes overprecise manner of thinking.

You might find this scroll interesting. I believe it was actually my first submission at Candlekeep, lol.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Apr 2011 06:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:10:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used it twice in my writing and RP'ing. Both wishes came from the same item- a pendant with three of them stored inside. The first was triggered in a story accidentally. The character who used it was kneeling by a dead friend, and said "I wish you were alive again so I could see you smile and hear you laugh." It simply rezzed the dead character. The second time was triggered by the (formerly) dead PC, when he was in the middle of a space-battle (an RP with some heavy sci-fi tossed into the Realms- don't ask) on a huge "Imperial Destroyer" type ship. He and several other PC's had gone up on the ship along with some members of its crew, and when the targeting array on the big guns got knocked out, he said, "I wish for myself and the rest of the party to have all knowledge of the operation of this ship." He was attempting to give everyone the skills to man the guns themselves. It worked- except that it also had some unintended side-effects, like filling his head with a bunch of trivial stuff from the ship's data-banks as well as the operation of the ship's technology. He know has their entire music library in his memory, and will sometimes find himself whistling tunes he didn't even realize he knows!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Playing by 4e rules, as I do, the only creature that has the wish spell is the pit fiend. Most of my characters have the common sense to realize that dealing with a pit fiend is likely too risky.

Among those who might risk it out of anger or desparation, I have a human rogue/fighter who would wish for my half-orc paladin(who cut of his arm and scarred his face) to be summoned before him without armor or weapons. I also have an illithid monk who'd either wish for the ability to sustain himself on normal food rather than brains, or a method of shielding himself from his kind to avoid them when they come hunting for him.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

quote:

The wording would be the key, as the "and" clause would kick a spell off in my games. Something like "I wish to be permanently affected by a spell of flight that shall remain totally under my control until I have reached the end of my natural life." (This allows you to maintain the spell through, say, a Raise Dead or Ressurection I'd say. Or does it?) I'll usually allow the conjunction "until" in a wish.

Seriously? This particular "and" -- and I don't recall if I actually used that word, I'm just paraphrasing -- was still relevant to what was being wished for. It's not like wanting a spell to be under your control is trying to get a second wish. If the wish was "I want X and I want Y," then I would agree with you. But this was "I want X, delivered in this specific manner." How that could be an issue is rather puzzling to me.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:51:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think anything is wrong with the wish Wooly...just saying something like "...while being under his full control..." might be something I would allow more quickly. Essentially, I placed as a stop-gap measure that saying "and" in a wish would ruin the wish. Essentially I did it only to prevent greed; but in game terms I used the explanation that it was simply one of the rules of wish magic.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:56:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I suppose only a mathematician, computer programmer, or semantic logician would understand Boolean logic. Three in one for me, so I find technical misuse of conjunctions/operators rather difficult to overlook. It's less about neurotic obsession and more about having a sometimes overprecise manner of thinking.
Ah, Boolean logic and assembly language programming. That takes me back to the "good old days" of late 80's programming.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:40:50  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my own campaigns I’ve never used the Wish spell so literally, but rather as a generic default for any kind of ‘all-powerful’ spell not covered in the existing rosters. I can’t envisage the great spellcasters of the Realms sitting down and saying “I wish ...”

However, I realise this approach does eliminate a lot of fun when it comes to carefully wording a wish.

The wishes of my two characters are fairly simple, based on story factors rather than power-gaming.

Joreth Amoros – a mage of Chessenta.
“I wish to complete my studies at the Scholam Arcanum in Mordulkin” (Joreth was kicked out because he couldn’t pay for his tuition fees)

Erialis Farwhisper, a gold elf rogue/mage adventuring in the North
“I wish I was on Evermeet, not suffering the rude company of these half-dozen human adventurers.” (Of course, it would be a lot simpler if Erialis kept his wish to the first six words, but I think it would only be fitting if his persistent bigotry twisted his wish somewhat)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  17:22:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They say power corrupts. Certainly, I've yet to meet a player who is entirely immune to the lure of power a wish can offer. The smart ones have a wish or three prepared in advance and immediately burn their wish off to thwart temptation, better to suffer your greed and uncertainty after the deed is irrevocably done.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  19:04:20  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I advocate wish granters and recievers to listen to Buddha: "Words have the power to both destroy and heal; when they are both true and kind, they can change our world"

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  19:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

In my own campaigns I’ve never used the Wish spell so literally, but rather as a generic default for any kind of ‘all-powerful’ spell not covered in the existing rosters. I can’t envisage the great spellcasters of the Realms sitting down and saying “I wish ...”
<snip>

Vangerdahast did just that in Death of the Dragon. He didn't come up with a very good wish in the end, though...which is pretty much the point of this topic.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  15:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were in the realms, maybe I would wish to bed (the wish would be spoken more specifically than I could write on here) each of the Seven Sisters (Pre-death of Sylune).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  18:26:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

If I were in the realms, maybe I would wish to bed (the wish would be spoken more specifically than I could write on here) each of the Seven Sisters (Pre-death of Sylune).

A least a couple of them would not require anything more than a politely expressed interest, thinks I.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  09:55:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How many wish spells can a wizard of Tam or Telamont's caliber cast in a day?

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  13:38:36  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

How many wish spells can a wizard of Tam or Telamont's caliber cast in a day?

As much as he's willing to pay in EXP I guess. 5000 xp per casting is alot, even for the Most High (he wouldn't want one of his son to surpass him, would he?)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  15:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A least a couple of them would not require anything more than a politely expressed interest, thinks I.

Which ones do you think are "easy" Wooly?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:21:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Which ones do you think are "easy" Wooly?

Well, Alustriel is certainly not known for her prudishness, and I'd imagine that Storm has had more than one casual romp in the hay.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  14:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for Laeral I would need to wish that Khelben doesn't find out .

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  14:42:27  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we expand this topic to include "miracle"?

Basically the same spell haha.

Elminster used several wish spells to increase his intelligence haha. Which in the end, is genius(Pun intended)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  14:48:13  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I wish WotC would publish PSK's Godborn this year!

---

Seldom are wish spells used in novels, or revealed to have been used. Some unnamed spells, like that binding Telamont used against Mephistopheles, and that shield he erected to deflect the Chosen's silverfire, might be wish spells. If I recall it right, Tam also used them in the HL trilogy, as [again, if I remember it correctly] noted by Lallara in their final confrontation.

I can't see the shield he used to deflect silverfire being a wish spell. The spell requires too much on the spot special wording for him to have cast it. Granted he may have used a wish spell to be granted the knowledge of how to block Silverfire since he is the only one ever known to have done it.

Against Mephistopheles I never saw anything that could not be done without a wish spell. As another said, it was made clear he was drawing power from both his archwizards and possibly the Mythallar. it was made clear before the summoning that he was probably the only one on Shade who could have done it with help. due to his personal power. If a wish spell made it possible, than there were many who could have done it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000