Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Good uses for a wish spell.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  03:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ive always had some trouble with applying the spell wish to things. As a DM its difficult for me to gauge just how much the players should be able to get away with when using one. I don't want to make the spell utterly useless either by twisting the wording to far. So what are some good parameters for the spell wish?

"Why do they always come when I need to relieve myself? Tymora if you're listening-tell me that!"

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  03:41:43  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordcoast Wanderer

Ive always had some trouble with applying the spell wish to things. As a DM its difficult for me to gauge just how much the players should be able to get away with when using one. I don't want to make the spell utterly useless either by twisting the wording to far. So what are some good parameters for the spell wish?

Short "gamist" answer :

Wish is a 9th level spell with an XP cost, it should at least be able to overcome a EL17 encounter (overcome doesn't necesseraly translate to kill a CR17 creature).

If outside of combat, just try to estimate an equivalent EL.

Short "simulationist" answer :

Ask them for the complete Wish sentence and apply it in good old 2E style.

Short "narrativist" answer :

Whatever that is good for the plot.

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Dec 2006 04:50:55
Go to Top of Page

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  03:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Skeptic, I could however use some examples of wish spells used primarily outside of combat.

"Why do they always come when I need to relieve myself? Tymora if you're listening-tell me that!"
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  04:26:19  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wishes outside of combat?

My players know when I throw a Wish at them, they run for the hills, unless there is a new perosn at the table, whom they usually give it to them snickering.

I had a greedy thief at the table who wished for the King of a city's gold at his feet....I teleoprted him into the King's treasure room...as the King and his guard were doing inventory.

I had someone wish that they had the power of a beholder's charm spell from one stalk in one of their eyes... I gave it to him, but he had to wear a patch, because I didn't give him control of it.( it woulda overpowered him, so I threw in the DM monkeywrench)

I had a Mage ask for enough expierence and knowledge to cast spells just outside of his level of power, So I allowed him to pick TWO spells one level higher than he could 1/day ( he said spellS= two spells he wanted all the level, but I knew it would overpower him)

A barbarian asked for a Magical axe +4 from the North, and I teleoprted him and the party into the depths of an Ice cavern, beside a dead party, and the barbarian got his axe, but half the party died as they tried to get out and back to town.

And my favorite, I have a not so knowledgable but good friend of mine who ins't the best speller in my group, he wrote his wish down and told me to go with ONLY what he wrote: " I wish to be the gratis samurai ever." He mean Greatest, but I had to...
So everytime he got paid for an adventure, or found treasure, It would dissapear to an orphanage that was named after him in a far off town. ( He was great or his gifts, but not how he wanted it) Out o pity, I gave him enough expierence for the next level he needed 40,000, I gave him 40,001 ...something like that.

In my opinion, a Wish is time for the Players to see just how Scary messing with powers that affect time, space, reality and Fate can be. Its a time to show the players you don't take no $#iT lightly. Just remember, if you feel like what you give them is too powerful, and you give it to them, you have to learn to work around or through the repercussions.

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."

Edited by - LucianBarasu on 11 Dec 2006 04:28:09
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  04:49:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucianb

Wishes outside of combat?

My players know when I throw a Wish at them, they run for the hills, unless there is a new perosn at the table, whom they usually give it to them snickering.

I had a greedy thief at the table who wished for the King of a city's gold at his feet....I teleoprted him into the King's treasure room...as the King and his guard were doing inventory.

I had someone wish that they had the power of a beholder's charm spell from one stalk in one of their eyes... I gave it to him, but he had to wear a patch, because I didn't give him control of it.( it woulda overpowered him, so I threw in the DM monkeywrench)

I had a Mage ask for enough expierence and knowledge to cast spells just outside of his level of power, So I allowed him to pick TWO spells one level higher than he could 1/day ( he said spellS= two spells he wanted all the level, but I knew it would overpower him)

A barbarian asked for a Magical axe +4 from the North, and I teleoprted him and the party into the depths of an Ice cavern, beside a dead party, and the barbarian got his axe, but half the party died as they tried to get out and back to town.

And my favorite, I have a not so knowledgable but good friend of mine who ins't the best speller in my group, he wrote his wish down and told me to go with ONLY what he wrote: " I wish to be the gratis samurai ever." He mean Greatest, but I had to...
So everytime he got paid for an adventure, or found treasure, It would dissapear to an orphanage that was named after him in a far off town. ( He was great or his gifts, but not how he wanted it) Out o pity, I gave him enough expierence for the next level he needed 40,000, I gave him 40,001 ...something like that.

In my opinion, a Wish is time for the Players to see just how Scary messing with powers that affect time, space, reality and Fate can be. Its a time to show the players you don't take no $#iT lightly. Just remember, if you feel like what you give them is too powerful, and you give it to them, you have to learn to work around or through the repercussions.

That was the LONG "simulationist" answer

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Dec 2006 04:49:51
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  10:03:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This 'save-my-game' article from the WotC page might help as well:

Managing wishes
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050902a

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Dec 2006 10:11:09
Go to Top of Page

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks that helps.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  16:23:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got to use a wish exactly once, as a player... And my DM wasn't ready for the ramifications of it, so she ruled it wouldn't take effect in that session -- and then we never played again.

I basically had my character wish for the full effects of a fly spell. He was very careful to specify that he wanted full control of the spell, as if he had cast it himself, and that the duration of the spell would be permanent. As a player, I spent a couple of days going over the wording, making sure there was no loopholes (and, as a sneaky git, I am good at finding loopholes). Once I was satisfied that it couldn't be twisted and that it was written down correctly, I rolled a couple Intelligence checks to make sure the character could think of it (he wasn't as smart as I am in real life, so I frequently made Intelligence checks to see if he could think up the ideas I had).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  16:26:50  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be reknowned for mangling wishes... then I ran into a player that had legal training. I figured out that

1) Mangling wishes is fun for DM's but not for players. Its just like you finally get a wonderful super-model girlfriend that loves D&D just as much as you do, but she later becomes a man-hating lesbian and starts a blog about the inferior size of your penis complete with illustrations and commentary by your ex-girlfriends. The cosmos laughs, but you do not.

2) If I wanted to be serious about spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I'd better be prepared for my players to be just as serious about it. Players taking 1 hour out of the game to write a "wish contract" is dumb and not fun. What is even less fun is discovering that their "wish contract" is completely air-tight and allows them to become 0 level deities.

So I decided to start granting wishes based upon
1) intent of the wisher (not the wording)
2) the limitations of the spell

A wish can't do anything that any other 9th level spell can't do, but it will do exactly what you want it to, within the inherent limitations of a 9th level spell.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 11 Dec 2006 16:28:11
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  17:33:55  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

I used to be reknowned for mangling wishes... then I ran into a player that had legal training. I figured out that

1) Mangling wishes is fun for DM's but not for players. Its just like you finally get a wonderful super-model girlfriend that loves D&D just as much as you do, but she later becomes a man-hating lesbian and starts a blog about the inferior size of your penis complete with illustrations and commentary by your ex-girlfriends. The cosmos laughs, but you do not.

2) If I wanted to be serious about spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I'd better be prepared for my players to be just as serious about it. Players taking 1 hour out of the game to write a "wish contract" is dumb and not fun. What is even less fun is discovering that their "wish contract" is completely air-tight and allows them to become 0 level deities.

So I decided to start granting wishes based upon
1) intent of the wisher (not the wording)
2) the limitations of the spell

A wish can't do anything that any other 9th level spell can't do, but it will do exactly what you want it to, within the inherent limitations of a 9th level spell.

Well, we know you don't have to worry about the first one You mean you can't wipe out an entire race with a wish?I guess I know what not to wish for should the option ever become available.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  18:32:00  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
starts a blog about the inferior size of your penis complete with illustrations

quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger
Well, we know you don't have to worry about the first one

Thanks! Don't know quite how you know that... but thanks!

Yeah... wiping out all of the orcs in that other campaign was a little... overboard?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  01:25:40  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
starts a blog about the inferior size of your penis complete with illustrations

quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger
Well, we know you don't have to worry about the first one

Thanks! Don't know quite how you know that... but thanks!

Yeah... wiping out all of the orcs in that other campaign was a little... overboard?

To the first, I was refering to your significant other loving the game as much as you do.
To the second, not for that game, eh nuke boy

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  05:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate wishes as a player. I have never, never had a GM who allowed a wish, have it happen the way the player wanted. It was always a hoot for the GM, however. And it didn't matter how non-materialistic for me the wish was. Last time, two years ago in a convention, I begged the GM to allow a magic item to behave properly and not give me wishes... no deal.

I only had a successful wish happen once, and I didn't do it for myself. A buddy and I somehow got a wish each (this was about 20 years ago, 1st edition.) the buddy was greedy and asked for a crystal ball. Guess what happened. So I wished that he had a pair of them. The only wish that ever happened the way I wanted it to.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  06:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive never run or played in a campaign where a players got a wish

However if it was ever used Id probably use the Wisdom based system they used in Baldurs gate 2. The more extreme the wish the higher the DC (If they fail then the character buggers it up)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  21:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very often...I wish for a different DM! Unless I'm in charge, of course.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush

Edited by - Aglaranna on 22 Dec 2006 21:35:04
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  22:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a wish used once in a game... and I had to let it pass, the player phrased the thing so expertly that I could basically just say: "OK."

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  01:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players have had access to wish. We played 1.5 years in epic levels, and both the elf wizard and the gnome arcane trickster had wish, and the human cleric had miracle.

They only ever used those spells to duplicate lower level spells. I also allowed them to swap feats and spells (in the case of the sorcerer/arcane trickster) using wish. They also used wishes/miracles to boost one ability score by one point.

They never really tried to alter reality too much with those spells. I guess they never wanted to open that can of worms. They also seemed reluctant to burn experience, which perplexed and relieved me.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  22:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the best way might be to try make a simplified version of the old Wild Magic table. So you can make a roll and determine whether the effect works as they intended, misfires or some other random effect.

If they know its a random result then it doesn't favour either side.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  00:49:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

I'd say the best way might be to try make a simplified version of the old Wild Magic table.

That table is available in rtf format from the Wizards downloads page. It's listed under Classis Errata.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  04:17:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Sorry about the necro thread, fellow sages, but why start another with the same topic? Also see another Candlekeep thread with similar content.)

There's a lot of official rules and guidelines about Wish (or Limited Wish, Alter Reality, Miracle, etc) in the books (at least in my mostly 1e/2e stuff); especially in the PHB, DMG, ToM, PHBR4, DMGR5/6, and countless Dragon and Dungeon magazine articles. I personally tend to half-ignore them all and use some basic guidelines whenever I arbitrate a Wish -
  • A Wish can duplicate the effects of basically any spell up to 9th level Wizard or 7th level Priest (but not higher, if such is possible in the campaign.)
    (Exceptions are made for certain unique/rare magics which have exotic components or impossible restrictions - the Wish just won't do everything for lazy players.)
    I basically tend to select "the path of least resistance" (that is, the lowest level) spell that will accomplish the deed, and simply assume it is cast at least at the Wish-caster's level. I don't mind scaling spells up or down (by eye, lol) so that their power level is somewhat comparable to a 9th level spell, if necessary.
    Note that Permanency is an 8th level spell, something that a Wish can duplicate/emulate, so a Wish can indeed be permanent or make something else permanent.

• I tend to be lenient when players use a Wish to save or defend themselves, escape from danger, or retreat from (or delay) desperate situations.
    (I even allow other party members to choose to be excluded from the effect, if they prefer. Usually they don't mind being saved.)
    I don't have any problem allowing a Wish to do things like Raise or Resurrect a fallen comrade (PC or NPC), Heal or Teleport the party. Or recharge a magical item (at least partially). Or cause some unlikely but fortunate event to occur (like a lucky catapult shot breaching the wall during a seige) which makes things easier on the party. It's a 9th level spell, it's always going to do something.

• I'm also a little lenient about a Wish changing "yesterday".
    The players might Wish that they'd done some minor thing differently, or brought along some item they forgot to pack, or did something differently, or said something else, or picked different spells.
    I don't usually have a problem with allowing a Wish to refresh or change some/all of a spellcaster's memorized spells (within reason).
    I don't mind letting the players get away with changing minor harmless (usually recent) past details that, within reason, they might have actually done the different way the first time around. Used in this manner, a Wish can "lubricate" the story, let the players remember to have sufficient rations or be prepared for desert travel or kept that key they discarded or have actually purchased that map, so the adventure can continue smoothly without extra delays.

• I don't allow unfair or greedy Wishes.
    An unfair Wish would somehow change things such that somebody else is instantly defeated, killed, never existed, etc. My usual rule is this somehow backfires, regardless of how powerful the PC or inconsequential the target might be. I do allow a Wish to duplicate a spell which kills (along with normal range, limitations, and chances to negate/save/resist), which might be just as lethal but at least doesn't violate "normal" rules.
    A greedy Wish usually involves taking something which is normally unobtainable or is someone else's property. I might Teleport the Wish-caster straight to the item (and the item's surprised and suspicious owner, or the owner's guarded lair/castle/vault/etc). Or I might even let the PC have the object he greedily desires, but the previous owner (and whatever agents or authorities he recruits) would know the object was somehow stolen and certainly seek to retrieve it. Remember that all sorts of divinations (even Wishes) can be used to determine who committed a crime of assault, murder, or theft. The PCs cannot possibly hide (themselves or their illicit new toys) from every person they meet in every place they travel, at least not forever.
    Now and then, I might even be feeling particularly magnanimous and reward a well-worded Wish by giving a player his new item (or upgrade to an existing item) without any strings beyond possibly giving the item some kind of identity or history which serves as an adventure hook. (Maybe it just magically appears in his hand or at his feet, maybe it's found some time later, it usually doesn't matter much.)

• I won't allow a Wish to break the world.
    Magic breaks the laws of physics all the time and sometimes there are things which break the laws of magic. But there are certain "rules" beyond the power of a Wish.
    In my game some of those rules are no genocide, no apocalypse, common sense stuff like that. And quite importantly: no time travel. I'll allow PCs to manipulate (or replay) time in small ways by mimicking the variety of existing spells which already do exactly that. But I won't let them or their actions move through time or change significant events in the past or future. (There are true time travel magics in the realms - but they typically involve 10th level wizard spells, divine approval, or special use of unique portals or artifacts - all beyond the magnitude of a Wish.)
    Also remember that a Wish cast by a mere mortal can always be trumped by a divine power; your Wish might attract some attention (or even a visit) but it won't be enough to change the world on a cosmic scale, especially when such changes will be opposed or denied by powerful beings who prefer to maintain the status quo.

• I don't allow players to break the game/adventure with a Wish.
    If they make a Wish that somehow irrevocably circumvents or destroys the entire adventure plot or simply Wish that they were never even involved or something similar ... I consult with the players (open table) and ask if they'd rather just quit this adventure and play another. If that's the case (it's not just one disgruntled player) then I'll choose another adventure to keep my group happy and I'll even let the player keep his Wish. It's supposed to be about having fun, eh?
    A player who insists on breaking the game for everyone else is a problem that won't be solved by granting Wishes.

• I don't allow a Wish to blatantly manipulate the game or bestow munchkin superpowers.
    A Wish must be clear and specific. A Wish which uses vague, ambiguous, generic, cryptic, complex, convoluted, conditional, contractual - that is, "legal" and greedy - wording is almost never granted in a way the player finds favourable. A player cannot basically say, for example, "I wish for everything written on this page to be true" with any success.
    Remember, Wish is partly Invocation magic - that is, the name of some higher power is somehow invoked (and therefore involved) in the spell casting or spell formula. I assume, as DM, that this power has some influence on exactly how the Wish turns out. (If the precious little time of direct attention you get from Contact Other Plane is any indication, then interrupting an entity/power by invoking it's name and demanding it deciphers your meaning from what looks like a badly written wikipedia page of full of byzantine legalese before granting you a Wish is just not going to have pretty results.)
    My players tend to understand that Wishes always get granted and always do something, but the chances of disappointment (or disaster) increase in direct proportion with their greed. When you're greedy and still get exactly what you Wished for then there's usually some kind of price which eventually has to be paid.
    And let's face it - the DM has the final say. If something is not wanted in the world then it will not be found there. The wise DM will also pay some attention when all of his players become outraged/horrified at his decision ...

• I pay attention to the source granting the Wish.
    Typically this is a "neutral" source such as just casting the Wish spell yourself or reading a generic scroll.
    But sometimes a Wish is granted by a creature or artifact which might have any sort of purpose, agenda, or even opinions about the PCs.
    A benevolent gold dragon might choose to optimize the Wish, overlooking errors in wording to help the player get what he really wants instead of what he actually asks for. A lawful genie might uncaringly grant a Wish which exactly follows the literal wording, regardless of what was desired. A pit fiend might twist the wording as far as possible towards hostile or evil purposes, granting a Wish that somehow exacts a terrible price. A god like Talos might grant Wishes which can kill or destroy with impunity, letting the consequences rest squarely on the character.

• There are some "routine" uses of Wishes (in AD&D 1e and 2e at least).
    For example, you need a Wish when creating magical items, or to get the full benefits (as defined in the descriptions) of some spells like Simulacrum.
    I assume that these uses of Wish have been perfected through the ages so now a "proper" ritualistic exact wording exists which always does exactly what it should. I allow PCs to discover these details through the usual avenues of spell research, musty tomes, and sages. In these instances I don't require the Wishes to actually be worded and played out - although the player can certainly try, if (s)he's gutsy.

• I don't allow meta-Wishing.
    By which I mean, you can't make a Wish about Wishes.
    You can't Wish for more Wishes. Likewise, (if you want to be technical) you can't Wish for fewer Wishes or that your Wish won't be granted.
    You can't make a Wish that changes or negates another Wish in the past, present, or future. That means you can't un-Wish or re-Wish, layer or stack Wish powers in any way, make a Wish that affects another (essentially) simultaneous Wish, or Wish that future Wishes will operate in a different manner. (ie: Follow different rules or be interpreted differently by the DM. Only a cowardly DM would ever allow nonsense like "I wish that every wish I make from now on will actually do only what I want it to, even if I somehow say it wrong.")
    A Wish cannot change the parameters of the Wish spell itself.
    Now, having said all that crazy stuff ... you can use a Wish to affect people/things/places/events that have been affected by other Wishes, you just can't change the Wishes themselves.

• I require every Wish is submitted in writing and spoken aloud.
    Thus no time is ever wasted in arguments about what the exact wording was. I encourage the player to let the other players read and discuss the Wish before final submission, I sometimes help noobs by glossing over their amateur errors, and I make it understood that though players can (usually) take their time, once the written Wish is submitted and spoken aloud there's no turning back. When players make a (typically selfish) Wish in secret they obviously do not benefit from the advice of their peers, and I sometimes judge such Wishes a little bit more severely as a result.
    I'm willing to overlook minor errors in spelling and grammar, since I assume people don't "spell words incorrectly" while speaking (assuming the errors do not greatly alter the meaning). Sometimes, to preserve respect and wonder for Wishes (and to maybe keep the players a little jumpy) I might choose to interpret errors more liberally. I'll sometimes allow a player's unintentional Wish to be granted immediately (or even secretly) when, for example, a Ring of Wishes is unknowingly worn. But only sometimes, and only with experienced players. (If you routinely pounce on and exploit every trivial syntax error with glee then your players will see you - quite correctly - as a heavy-handed and sadistic DM. That playstyle is perfectly acceptable for some groups, but not for mine.)
    I also ask the player to state in plain and simple straightforward terms what, in the "perfect world" she actually wants the Wish to do. If that's not a straightforward statement then I'll get it in writing, too. Under no circumstances do I allow a game mechanic like the character's Intelligence or Wisdom scores determine the qualities or success of the Wish - it's strictly up to the player (or players) to offer their best and they won't get any dice rolls or bonuses or penalties from their stats (or Luckstones, or the effects of any spells, including Wishes, lol).
    Obviously a character who cannot speak cannot make a Wish unless perhaps he can communicate telepathically.
    My players understand that Wishes which cause permanent game-mechanic changes to characters are best handled if they submit their Wish in a way that lets me think about it for a few days or perhaps even discuss with the entire group. Distracting the DM by Wishing for your +1 stat increase at a bad time (like in the middle of combat) will typically not turn out very well - in such rare cases I invoke the house rule that if I (the DM) am being forced to make snap judgements then it's not unreasonable to assume that the character is also being forced to do so as well: a timer with the Wish casting/thinking time can be used, and the character may suffer combat penalties while he busily scribbles notes.
    (Some of my clever players always have a few Wishes already planned and written out, just to be prepared, lol.)

• I try to remember that I should always be a fair and consistent DM.
    It's not a competition or a contest or a TPK race. It's natural (and traditional!) for the DM to be a little bit confrontational, but the purpose (in my game sessions at least) is not the extermination of an endless string of PCs. There are some groups or adventures designed around pitting players-vs-DM in a deathmatch struggle, but there's so many other methods to punish and kill characters that there's really no need for crippling negative Wish nukes to be one of them.
    A Wish is supposed to be beneficial when used wisely, not just an automatic deal with the devil. So, keeping that in mind, there is no reason to automatically adopt the attitude that a Wish will "always go wrong" unless the player somehow cleverly outsmarts the DM. Wish is just another spell in the arsenal which packs great power and should be handled with caution and respect.
    It's important to remember that, as usual, the other players might become jealous and bitter when they perceive one player is receiving goodies (from Wishes) while they get nothing.
I've seen a couple campaigns completely disintegrate after Wishes were indiscriminately handed out or carelessly/thoughtlessly granted (leading quickly to inflationary opportunistic abuse by the players). Oddly, both of these situations involved moderately experienced DMs and players, plus a newfound Deck of Many Things.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 13 Oct 2010 11:21:44
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  04:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm kind of glad this one was given life once more. It's near Halloween after all, right? I've wondered about different uses of wish and all of that, and was hoping to see a few other ideas on the spell. Thank you for finding this!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  11:04:49  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice Arik, I love wishes, they got much potential

Pathfinder #24 has an article about genie wishcraft
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  13:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I WISH my brother George was here.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  13:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've given Wish out to my players a few times (three i think) Once a player of mine found a ring she failed to detect magic on but loved jewerly so wore. Unbeknownest to her it contained a wish and I waited and waited until she used those words..."I wish". She was ambushed by a druid-bandit astride a giant flying beetle. The battle wasnt going well and she muttered, "I wish he didnt have that stupid beetle." WHAMMO beetle vanishes and druid falls to the ground suffering decent damage and she finished him off. Ring crumbles to dust and she was grumbling that IF she KNEW she had a wish she would have used it better.
Second time my brother's character gets a wish and while walking down the beach decides he wants a huge castle with 65 rooms and a moat. POOF said castle appears. Its about 9 feet tall and made of sand. He laughed in real-life, then cursed the gods in game and kicked the castle to nothingness. Afterwords he said he should have said sized for a human.
The last time I used a wish my humble player simply said he wanted a flaming longsword that he had seen an NPC use in a previous encounter. He didnt want THAT guys weapon, but a copy of it. Seemed more than reasonable and I gave it to him no hinderance. He used it forever, even when he was offered better weapons of greater power. He told me later he loved the idea of a flaming sword and thats all he ever pictured his warrior with.

I think Always crapping out a players wish just ruins the use of the spell. I've yet to play in a game where any high-level spellcaster wants the wish for a wish they all just want to use it to cast "other-lower level spells they might need without prep".
The general consenus of my players is that if used for wishing its just overpowering, and wheres the fun of wishing all the bad-guys dead or the treasure.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  18:02:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, one of my former players never got that memo. He recently had an encounter with a dragon where the battle was not going well. He wished for the tarrasque to fall on top of the dragon. Terrasque ate dragon, and because he had a back-up wish to get rid of it, the GM simply decided to send the bugger to sleep rather than deal with the second wish. Then again, this being a player who is in the habit of breaking every known mechanic of the game, I don't blame him, but I'd have found some way to twist the first wish around. The entire encounter was too easy, IMO. And why waste a powerful wish on something like that? There are plenty of other spells to defeat it without taking all the fun out of things!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  18:20:36  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wishes . . .

According to BESM d20 Magic, Wish has a Spellcasting DC of 101, making it the most powerful spell in the game. IF you want my advice:

* Allow wishes, DO NOT MANGLE THEM. Here's why. The Universe, in all of it's Grand Wisdom, tends to LET US HAVE EXACTLY WHAT WE DESIRE. In short, it grants wishes all the time so that we can be happy. A Wish spell is a direct prayer to the Universe to get what you deeply desire.

* Be mindful of the Consequences of the wish. If the person wishes to fly, let him. But make sure he will be hounded down by every circus owner in the country. :) You don't mangle a wish directly, you play up to the consequences. Mangling a wish is capricious and downright nasty.

* Make sure that the wish doesn't break the laws of Physics. A person can't wish for a perpetual motion machine running off of nothing.

* And most important, ninth level spells are GOD LIKE effects. OR every close to them. A wish spell cannot grant anything beyond a nine level spell effect.

* Finally. IF any player character wishes themselves to be level 0 deities, tell them that NOTHING happened and let it go. IF they argue the point, slap a book about the Law of Attraction on them and tell them to leave you alone about it. IF they don't understand, tell them that their wish has been granted and their player character can live their ordinary dull life as a PC in your campaign, and also tell them to read that book.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  19:47:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, the Laws Of Physics are more like local municipal ordnances in the Realms, anyone can pay a small fee to buy a magic license which bypasses them.

Perpetual motion doesn't work in our universe, but obviously you've never seen a Spell Engine spinning around at full speed. And what of magics that actually grow more powerful as the ages pass, things like mythals and Moonblades? They only collapse when the rules of magic that support them collapse as well.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000