Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Your favourate "Nasty Wishes"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastergeorge
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2003 :  17:59:57  Show Profile  Visit mastergeorge's Homepage Send mastergeorge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What kind of thing do you use to upset your players if they are uncareful in using their wishes?
A particularly good one is if the players wish for an army and a stronghold, they get a terrible hoarde of Weasels and badger set.

--mastergeorge

"And in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal prodgeny, so sayeth the wise Alaundo."

--Predictions of Alaundo concerning the time of troubles.

AutoSponge
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2003 :  02:49:57  Show Profile  Visit AutoSponge's Homepage Send AutoSponge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never have and probably never will run or play a game that involves wishes. If I did it would probably be just as restrictive as the computer games. Basically it can only simulate another spells effects or make a spell effect permanent. It can be a permanent illusion of a stronghold, but not a stronghold per se.
Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2003 :  21:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my favourite was when the party accidently gained a wish, they thought that they could vanquish their foe in one well worded spell...

"I wish <insert nasty grey haired mage enemy's name> would die!!"

The next time they came across the nasty mage imagine their surprise when they saw that the mage had "DYED" his hair black that is!!

That taught them not to trust wishes they found "accidently" in dungeons!!

Something similar occured in a campaign I played in. The campaign hinged on getting a name from a recently slain enemy. The name would be the proof we needed that the King's advisor was behind all the nastiness going on in the realm. The cocky cleric, cast his speak with dead spell. He had only one question he could ask before the soul drifted away.....

"Well...." says the cleric.

"Actually no because Im dead!!" answers the spirit who, with the one question answered departs for his soul's final resting place.

That was the best mixed up word play I'd ever seen in a campaign, we all laughed and groaned around the table, but for our characters it put years on finally solving that campaign!!

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

mastergeorge
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2003 :  13:37:43  Show Profile  Visit mastergeorge's Homepage Send mastergeorge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, that was a quite a well done bit of Dm'ing, if not a little harsh. Were you Dm'ing that game, or were you playing.

One from the Baldurs Gate 2 game:
Cast spell: limited wish
"I wish that none of my party would die of their wounds"
Effect: All party suddenly drop dead of a supernatural illness with no cure or respite.

"And in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal prodgeny, so sayeth the wise Alaundo."

Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2003 :  19:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first one I DM'ed, the second one I played in lol. I remember once awarding a player with a wish and him being so terrified of using it, in case I twisted the meaning, that he packed his stuff and left the game early....

.... he never EVER used that wish!!

lol

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2003 :  19:59:33  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Early in our gaming days when Plate Mail was all the rage. one of my players wished that he had Plate mail that had been enchanted 4 times over (+4 Plate)

so being devious, a wonderful suit of Enchanted Plate mail did infact appear on the Character. But it was a suit of Interlocking DINNER PLATES!!!!! LMAO i love it!!!! and it was enchanted with 4 different "Dinner" related magics!!!

o man that was great!

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

mastergeorge
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2003 :  21:13:19  Show Profile  Visit mastergeorge's Homepage Send mastergeorge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least the poor bloke didn't go hungry!
C'mon, there must be some more people out there with evil deeds that they have inflicted upon their players!

--mastergeorge

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  15:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoo! I must say I had a good laugh reading this topic! You people could give a leprechaun a run for his money! (And I'm talking the "real" ones, not the silly fantasy versions!)

Now, I don't have anything to add, really, but I wanted to resurrect this topic so that other people would know it was here, and maybe we (I) could get some more laughs!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  23:24:55  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two things I have done to be nasty.

One person wished for the soell absorbing Ioun stone. They wished they had one. So they got one. It was fully lodges in the bone of thier A*S and they got a -2 dex penalty until they dug it out. Basically had to be killed, dig the stone out, and Raise Dead.

The other was one particular annoying player (when I was running in a game store) decided to be oh so by wishing for the item the party was going on quest for. I wish I had the Goblet in my hands, right now.

He thought that was enough... He thought wrong.

Immediately he was transported to the bottom of the magma pit where the enchanted goblet was. SSSSSSSS! The party was supposed to convince a salamander, eventually, to go get it for them. The party succeeded in their quest, but that particular character was beyond ressurection... Pity.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  05:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Ioun stone and the goblet wishes. If I ever DM'ed and they used a wish, I'd make sure to do something like that to the party.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Lich Lord
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  06:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Lich Lord's Homepage Send Lich Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL after 3 very bad encounters with wishes my players have just about given up on that spell.

WISHES GRANTED round 1 be careful what you wish for.

my players were fighting an army of grey dwarves and were cornered in a little room.

Banden (the cleric): I wish the grey dwarves never existed)
DM: are you sure?
Banden: yes, they are going to kill us all.
DM: are you absoultely sure that is your wish?
Banden: yes
DM: as you wish, granted. the blight of the grey dwarves was never released upon the land. many people now live that were killed by there raids, and a lonely mount stands still untouched by hammer or pick. standing as a moument to the 5 poor adventures trapped in solid stone.

DM:1 adventures: 0 round 2 ignorence is not bliss.

my players were plundering a dragon hoard and found a ring of three wishes but didn't know what it was. the cleric puts it on till someone can cast identfy on it. they are walking out of the cave.

Fighter: wonder what kind of dragon will take up in here next.
Cleric: I don't know. i wish it would just collapse.
DM: granted. huge blocks of stone start falling from the celing of the cave.

they were able to make reflex saves every 20 feet. they were unlucky that day but the theif almost made it out. if he had succeeded one more time he would have made it.

DM: 2 adventures 0 round 3 percentage dice can do some strange things.

adventures are faceing a mad cleric.

Mad cleric: i wish for a great red wyrm to attack these fools. ( i was using a 3% chance of success on the spell. i never thought it would accually come up 3%. it did.)

DM: a magic gate opens before you and the snout of a red dragon starts through, smoke curls out of it's nose, and-
Thief: run!

they got away that time but they had to tack the cleric down again.

DM: 3 adventures: 0
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  23:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROFL!!!!! I loved that! Just remember, be careful what you wish for.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  17:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastergeorge

What kind of thing do you use to upset your players if they are uncareful in using their wishes?
A particularly good one is if the players wish for an army and a stronghold, they get a terrible hoarde of Weasels and badger set.

--mastergeorge

And yet again I shall give you my plot upon wishes. I do not give wishes. Incaft if someone finds anything in my game that is a whish item (unles they have the spell of wish which I will twist a bit to my own DMish likings) is a ring. This ring refuses to be identifyed. After all. Most party members are going to wan tto pay cheap to get their items looked over by a mage. And .. Since wish is a high ranked spell ... it wont be identifyed.... Later on... Eventully the bearer of the ring might ask "I wish I knew what this ring dose" ... and that is the time that you let them know that it was a ring of wishes.... Witch one charge.... heh

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  17:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lich Lord

LOL after 3 very bad encounters with wishes my players have just about given up on that spell.

WISHES GRANTED round 1 be careful what you wish for.

my players were fighting an army of grey dwarves and were cornered in a little room.

Banden (the cleric): I wish the grey dwarves never existed)
DM: are you sure?
Banden: yes, they are going to kill us all.
DM: are you absoultely sure that is your wish?
Banden: yes
DM: as you wish, granted. the blight of the grey dwarves was never released upon the land. many people now live that were killed by there raids, and a lonely mount stands still untouched by hammer or pick. standing as a moument to the 5 poor adventures trapped in solid stone.

DM:1 adventures: 0 round 2 ignorence is not bliss.

my players were plundering a dragon hoard and found a ring of three wishes but didn't know what it was. the cleric puts it on till someone can cast identfy on it. they are walking out of the cave.

Fighter: wonder what kind of dragon will take up in here next.
Cleric: I don't know. i wish it would just collapse.
DM: granted. huge blocks of stone start falling from the celing of the cave.

they were able to make reflex saves every 20 feet. they were unlucky that day but the theif almost made it out. if he had succeeded one more time he would have made it.

DM: 2 adventures 0 round 3 percentage dice can do some strange things.

adventures are faceing a mad cleric.

Mad cleric: i wish for a great red wyrm to attack these fools. ( i was using a 3% chance of success on the spell. i never thought it would accually come up 3%. it did.)

DM: a magic gate opens before you and the snout of a red dragon starts through, smoke curls out of it's nose, and-
Thief: run!

they got away that time but they had to tack the cleric down again.

DM: 3 adventures: 0

I will state this. There is one time a chars whishes would come true. And that is when they wished that they could kill the terask.... It even states in the monster manuel that you need a wish to kill it.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:28:59  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh you folk are vicious. I make it plainly known to my players that wishes not worded carefully can be disasterous, as well as wishes used to inflict harm directly on another lifeform.

This leaves so much leeway but they are afraid to actually use up the wishes so they never get used.

Nighteyes often writes out his wishes before he casts them and makes sure to close all the loopholes and so on. He has never been nailed by a bad wish but he never uses them foolishly.

I am actually thinking about a new kind of wish such as a Greater Benevolent Wish such as one that would be granted by a Greater Power or above. Such a wish would be interpreted in the best possible way for the wisher and would be exceedingly rare. As in only granted once in 10000 years by a greater artifact or by a greater god. Something along those lines

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  08:17:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have nothing to add at present to these discussions, other than I place very tight restrictions on the usage of the 'Wish' spell in my campaigns. It is a potential problem creator if not used appropriately, and when used in my campaign, the caster must pass a series of stringent tests in order to carry out his/her 'wishes'.

I am however, having a delightful time reading about some of these other experiences that go along with using the 'Wish' special - very interesting .

Artalis said -
quote:
I am actually thinking about a new kind of wish such as a Greater Benevolent Wish such as one that would be granted by a Greater Power or above. Such a wish would be interpreted in the best possible way for the wisher and would be exceedingly rare. As in only granted once in 10000 years by a greater artifact or by a greater god. Something along those lines
I once used something like this in my Planescape campaign several years ago. I was running under a modified cosmology, and Baator was the plane of Hell. There was no Abyss, Limbo etc. just a chaotic evil realm called Hell. Anyway, to get to the point, the Gods of Light needed to retreive an item of holy creation from the pits of Hell, so the Gods gave the PC's (they were all 30th level characters in 2e) the power of a Godly-wish spell in order to help them complete their mission. Understandably, there had to be restrictions on what the PC's could ask for, but in the end, the 'Gods' Wish' as it became known worked so well that it soon found itself in my homebrew spellbook. It was only to be used once more before the conversion to 3e, but at the time I placed it alongside the Quest Spells of the old 2e Tome of Magic, so that a very precise set of circumstances had to be met before the spell could ever be granted or used.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000