Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shyfts and their ancestry?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  12:54:14  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm reading the Fiend Folio. I've found an interesting article about planetouched. One of them is called Shyft. They are descendants from the native races of the Ethreal plane. Can you name these races whose descendants are Shyfts?
Are grey elves a native race of the Ethreal plane? Do their descendants called Shyfts too?

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  16:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one question I can answer is that grey elves (aka moon elves) are originally from Faerie (or the Feywild in 4e). Their arrival in the Realms is covered in Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves novel.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  18:20:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

The only one question I can answer is that grey elves (aka moon elves) are originally from Faerie (or the Feywild in 4e). Their arrival in the Realms is covered in Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves novel.

In the Realms, grey elf is derogatory for moon elf. There were core grey elves (or maybe they were Greyhawk-specific), though, that were not the same as the moon elves of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Apr 2011 18:23:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  01:48:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

In the Realms, grey elf is derogatory for moon elf. There were core grey elves (or maybe they were Greyhawk-specific), though, that were not the same as the moon elves of the Realms.

Indeed. 'Gray Elf' was a derogatory term used by a human or dwarf and a deadly insult from the lip of another elf. It is normally associated with moon elves only. Elfshadow captured this aspect of elven culture particularly well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  17:21:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

I'm reading the Fiend Folio. I've found an interesting article about planetouched. One of them is called Shyft. They are descendants from the native races of the Ethreal plane. Can you name these races whose descendants are Shyfts?
Are grey elves a native race of the Ethreal plane? Do their descendants called Shyfts too?

There are ghost elves (Dragon 313) that live in the Ethereal. Nathri are another possibility (Planscape MC3).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000