Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sexism in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  15:57:34  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Notably, the changedance was not required after Eilistraee became the Masked Lady. Why not? The absorption of the Vhaeraun brotherhood into her own faith meant that her faith was now more balanced. If it was actually about physiology, the requirement would have still been there. Vhaeraun taught drow men about true brotherhood, Eilistraee taught about sisterhood; however, she went the additional step of gradually teaching about equality.

I'll just say one final thing about the mainstream media belief that women are emotionally "deeper" or superior in some way. Buying into this Oprah-promoted myth, which actually started with the "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" nonsense and culminates in ridiculousness like "Eat, Pray, Love," only serves to reinforce cultural stereotypes that hold both men and women back from understanding the truth. Science has shown that while men and women are different in their expression of emotion (and that's a cultural, learned thing), they are no different in their emotional experience. If you buy into the old myths and stereotypes, you're only serving to promote authoritarian patriarchy which damages men and women both. To buy into stereotypes is to become them.

For a really good and insightful read on "Eat, Pray, Love" and why it's actually a harmful re-iteration of awful stereotypes, read this: http://bitchmagazine.org/article/eat-pray-spend

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 28 Mar 2011 17:02:14
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  16:29:20  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I hate to proclaim the usual "not in my realms" chant, but I find the idea of deities succumbing to peer pressure rather distasteful. No wonder they're so easily replaced by any mortal with backbone.

Not sure what you're referring to with this.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  17:39:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't even read/watch any Oprah-hype stuff. Have not read Eat, Pray, Love, or the Mars/Venus book(s). I'm not going by the "media stereotype" you refer to, but by researched studies (there are plenty of them to demonstrate the differences in bonding methods and connections) and personal experience. (Which is the best guage of such subjects, IMO- you can learn far more from watching people than from any amount of meida input!)

Okay, to reiterate- my idea of "deeper" is emotionally open and sharing of self. This is absolutely true- women are much more likely to share feelings and thoughts than men. Why? for the very same cultural reasons everyone has mentioned. Men generally do not express their feelings to each other, regardless of how "close" the bond. listen to a male conversation about the exact same subject as two women talking, and you'll get two very different outcomes and there will usually be fewer words, and emotions involved in the male side. Men just don't open theselves up like women do. They're taught not to cry, to keep their feelings bottled up, not to show "weakness" (old cultural bias, but still true in general society) and basically to be "manly" or "tough".

Women, on the other hand, are usually more willing to cry in front of each other, offer shoulders and ears for problems, and be nurturing to their peers. A man will give a clap on the back, as nod, and maybe a word or two of consolation or encouragement. This is a very different (less voacl and dmeonstrative) kind of bonding. Maybe just as DEEP, but certainly less visible or acknowledged. Women need much more than this, and are more intuitively in tune to the feelings of their peers. They will spot a problem a mile away, and offer comfort much more readily than a male's "it's none of my business unless asked" attitudes. (Not saying ALL men are like this, but it's generally the "norm".)

Basically, we're all in agreement that the Realms are not sexually biased or sexist, at least where it matters. but the idea that men really have a grasp of women's mysteries (or vice versa) is a reversal of that very stereotype that some seem to have such issue with. It's just not possible to fully understand them from either the physical OR mental standpoint without BEING one. I'll admit to the same for women. Which is the very reason her faith had that ritual in place- to promote better understanding by all. (But since her faith is mostly female, then gneder-bending would naturally be skewed in one direction- that's not sexist, it's just practicallity.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  17:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

<snip>

Basically, we're all in agreement that the Realms are not sexually biased or sexist, at least where it matters.

<snip>

And I think we'd be best to limit our discussions on our agreement (or not) that the Realms are not sexists, as a whole, and take private thoughts on real-life issues to private messages. No?

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  18:02:37  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps. But I believe the issue is certainly relavant. I mean, whean idea is sexist or not, it's really the same in either FR or RW. Both are equally valid. The core of the issue is perception, as opposed to whether it's in RW or the Realms. Perception is universal, I think.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  18:05:14  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth
And I think we'd be best to limit our discussions on our agreement (or not) that the Realms are not sexists, as a whole, and take private thoughts on real-life issues to private messages. No?

Agreed. For anyone who'd like links to actual scientific articles on this, please PM me. I'm headed into the office right now, so I may not immediately reply, but I'll definitely reply within a day to any PMs.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  18:17:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps. But I believe the issue is certainly relavant. I mean, whean idea is sexist or not, it's really the same in either FR or RW. Both are equally valid. The core of the issue is perception, as opposed to whether it's in RW or the Realms. Perception is universal, I think.

Perception is indeed universal... But we're here to discuss how we perceive the Realms, not the real world.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  18:34:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I percieve it the same way, to be honest. Human nature doesn't change from one world to the next, even in fantasy, there must be some basis in how people actually think or feel, or you can't connect with the characters. I just don't see any difference between the two.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  21:40:39  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed himself said that men in the Realms weren't afraid to cry, show emotion (alovg with other things in response to a query about "gay" acting men). I don't believe in this different types of bonding and stuff. It really depends on the individual. So, if Eilistraee wanted males to get a good scope of what it's like to be female, then why not do females turning into males to get a good scope of that gender?
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  21:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313
Ed himself said that men in the Realms weren't afraid to cry, show emotion (alovg with other things in response to a query about "gay" acting men). I don't believe in this different types of bonding and stuff. It really depends on the individual. So, if Eilistraee wanted males to get a good scope of what it's like to be female, then why not do females turning into males to get a good scope of that gender?

Because it doesn't further her duties in the pantheon.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  21:49:42  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it's becuase so few males are interested in becoming priests for her faith. Some are willing to join the ranks of her followers, but very few males would want to take the dedication to the next level. They're too used to clerical roles being filled by women- and they seem perfectly happy with that. It's tradition and culture, more than anything. If they wanted to join a clergy, they probably would have gone to Vaerhuan or Ghuanadaur. We've seen a relatively small number of male followers, compared to the women, so most likely it's due to the different gender-roles of drow society- women are priests, males are wizards or fighters- this is their cultural norm, and they accept those roles. Very few males (or females, either) would break with that.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  21:55:14  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But isn't Eilistraee about n and being kind and leading them to the "light". I thought she hated Lolthite society and wanted to break it.
P.S Allystra, are you not RPng at the inn anymore?
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  22:39:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been very busy, TW. Work and my writing projects are taking much of my time right now, and I've been trying to tinker with a couple of photo-manip programs to use for PC portraits, as well.

The thing about Eilistraee is that yes, she's all about redemption, but finding drow of EITHER gender who are honestly seeking it is difficult at best. It's much easier for drow females to accept and desire her message, simply because they're already used to the idea of being in a priesthood- males are neither trained for it, nor generally suited to it. That's just how they are raised and expected to live. It has little to do with whether they are seeking the "light", but their ideas of what their role in society is. For males, it is as defenders and spell-hurlers for their Houses, while women are TRAINED as clergy and leaders. They have different expectations, so they choose different paths to redemption- assuming they even WANT it. Being kind and seeking the light doesn't necessarily mean going full member of the cloth!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  23:21:27  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still don't agree with the changedance really, inless she wants to include both genders. I think she needs to open it up so that male and females caneasily fget their Lolthite culture and embrace a gender equal Eilistraeen one. Can you name any male priests of Eilistraee?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  00:12:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
trad There was one unnamed priest of Eilistraee in novel. There was a discussion concerning that that should be in the scrolls on one of the shelves. There was some speculation if editor error or was intended.

Change Dance mostly comes from the Questions of Edward Greenwood. In some ways it does make some sense that females should lean the male condition, however as indicated by others Eilistraee is definitively a female deity. She has more affinity and connection with females. Now if you considered that sexist, then it is against males.

I would have preferred both options, however until canon changes that is what was.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  01:10:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still don't agree with the changedance really, inless she wants to include both genders. I think she needs to open it up so that male and females caneasily fget their Lolthite culture and embrace a gender equal Eilistraeen one. Can you name any male priests of Eilistraee?

As Ed has clearly explained, Eilistraee does have male divine casters and male lay worshippers.

See his lengthy Nov. 5th '06 reply.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  01:33:50  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you post a link to that please, Sage?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  03:26:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could you post a link to that please, Sage?

See as follow:-
quote:
Ed returns, as promised, with more replies about males and their roles within the faithful of Eilistraee. Heeeeere's Ed:
In reply to RevJest's Jan06 query: "Ed, I would be interested in anything you might wish to say concerning the social order amongst the faithful of Eilistraee. Do they marry? Specifically, what role do males play in Eilistreean communities / households?" let me say this:

I define "faithful" as individuals who most strongly identify with, and believe in, Eilistraee. Lay worshippers, in other words, rather than just clergy (and clergy-in-training or wannabe clergy). There is no Eilistreean prohibition on marriage (or sex) among either lay worshippers or clergy, and never has been. There are many female drow clerics who prefer to remain single, either because a lesbian or other facet of their personalities makes them most comfortable being partner-less (as opposed to having a steady partner of either gender), or because they see married life as a distraction (or time-stealer) from their whole-hearted devotion to the Goddess. Eilistraee has never deemed either married or single worshippers as "preferred," and has never regarded (as far as mortals know) either sort of worshipper as disfavoured or second in rank behind the other sort of worshipper.
Except among clergy dwelling together in a temple (or forest "temple" community; I'm not speaking here of holy buildings or even a fixed worship site), I don't think there are any such things as "Eilistreean communities." (Remember, individuals in the Realms worship an array of gods, not a single deity.) Eilistreean-DOMINATED communities and Eilistreean households, yes. In all of those, females tend to govern (formally make decisions and be consulted in decision-making as the individuals with most social "weight" and influence), involving males primarily as "spot experts" (e.g. "You saw the attack, Phaerold, so tell us - -" and "You've dealt with that human more than the rest of us, Phaerold; please give us your opinion as to - - ") Males tend to be daily-bread-winning workers, guards and warriors, and have tasks related to their generally superior physical strength. They do not tend to be supervisors and high-ranking decision-makers. (Please note the word "tend." I'm speaking in gross generalizations here, not of "a rule that holds true in all cases.") Many males - - even clerics of Eilistraee - - become spies, scouts, patrolling guards, or leaders of lawkeeping or defensive military forces for Eilistreean-dominated communities or Eilistreean-dedicated holy communities. (To answer Kentinal's Jan06 query: "Some wonder how Eilistraee reacts to Wizards as followers as there has been little mention of Eilistraee following mages and the one of note is female, where do males fit in?" I can add that male wizards (of any race) accepted as worshippers of Eilistraee also serve in such capacities (and as "resident experts in arcane magic").
Kentinal also asked: "It has been said the Eilistraee societies there is gender equality, and it appears reasonable that they do not take slaves. Some argue that such communities are Cleric dominated, they rule perhaps?"
Yes, Eilistraee forbids the taking of slaves. Prisoners of war can be made to work in return for their food and shelter, but they are not "property" and cannot be ordered around by anyone: only by supervisors assigned by the decision-makers among the Dark Dancer's worshippers. (Such cases are rare, and generally consist of Lolth-worshipping drow or beings of other races who have "learned too much" and so are being detained for a few months, to prevent the specialized knowledge they've gained from being brought to enemies of the Eilistraeens.
As I noted above, one can only speak of "Eilistraee societies" if they are clerical communities. Scribes must try to set aside real-world monotheistic views of settlements or lands or racial groupings that only venerate one god: in the Realms, beings believe in, and worship (or at least try to appease, through worship) many, many gods. Far too much of the discussion here and elsewhere betrays thinking that "this family or group of [fill in race] worships Deity X, whereas these over here worship Deity Y." Please, when dealing with the Realms, move away from that viewpoint, and reflect that any family with children old enough to think for themselves and express those opinions will likely include family members who choose different (or no!) primary deity, and "weight" their personal worship of the mix of deities differently from fellow family members.

Kentinal also posted: "Another question came up in another place that asked if Monks would take Eilistraee as a Patron deity?"
Yes, monks (of any race) can revere Eilistraee as their patron, but very few do. Just as a drow ranger could turn to Mielikki. Neither case is likely to be numerous or popular; we're talking of handfuls of individuals, not a groundswell of hitherto-neglected-by-the-rules thousands of folk.
And to Kentinal's "In past answers it is clear that followers are located thoughout the regions, some even in "Drow free" zones like Waterdeep and Silvermoon (disguised of course, most likely as fair elves) and there are followers of other races as well. Are there any estimates as to how far and how many races do take Eilistraree as a Patron deity?" I reply: yes, those who "look to Eilistraee first" are found all over Faerûn, and can be of almost any race. (However, the great majority of Eilistraeens are surface-dwelling female drow, who usually make their homes in wooded wilderlands.)
Kentinal also asked: "If the High Hunt is always the End of the month? (I have played it as when an evil dangerous creature came near enough for the Goddess to call out alarm). How long does a Run last?"
The High Hunt is celebrated as a ritual at least once a season (once each summer, and once each winter). One may also be mustered whenever senior clergy of Eilistraee deem it needful, which means whenever the Dark Maiden sends them dream-vision warnings or urgings to do so. What triggers her to do so isn't known, other than yes, causes of such urgings often seem to include the alert, armed approach of large and powerful foes of Eilistraeens (or marauding monsters) to Eilistraeen rituals, places of worship, and Eilistraeens engaged in the work of the Goddess. A Run usually lasts a month to a month and a half, but sometimes for a season or an entire year (longer Runs, unless the participating beings are detained or severely wounded, are rare).
Back in Dec05, bearsden asked: "I would like to know the role of male Eilistraeen worshipers in Eilistraeen rituals. Do the males participate? Are the males excluded from any? Any insight into these questions would help me out immensely. Thanks in advance for your time and help."
Yes, males participate in almost all rituals, as lay worshippers (as Zandilar quite correctly pointed out). This includes the High Hunt, the Run, and the Circle of Song. Yes, there are rituals that males are excluded from, AS MALES (such as almost all of the longer, more passionate dances). However, increasingly males openly plead with Eilistraeen priestesses to be magically shapechanged so as to take part in such rituals, and the priestesses (if they have the means to do so), oblige them (sometimes the change is brief and temporary, fading out as the ritual ends, and sometimes it lasts for days or much longer, while the shapechanged being undertakes a service for the clergy).
However, The Sage was also correct when he posted "Males do not have a specific place in Eilistraee's clergy." That is, males aren't given roles in rituals or in the church hierarchy because they are males. They are blocked from serving in some rituals and church positions because of their gender, but that's a different thing. Most males step into roles in rituals, and rankings among Eilistraeen clergy, as if they were novice or inexperienced females. They may not advance up and out of those roles and rankings because they are males, but even this isn't a "rule." Some males have advanced on their own merits or because Eilistraee has favoured them to others in dream-visions or because they have chosen to remain (or beg to remain) in female form, and this choice has been admired by female clergy as a mark of dedication.

It is true that many long-standing female clerics of Eilistraee are very suspicious of males (and usually see males who take and keep female shape as power-hungry individuals who will "stop at nothing" to rise in the ranks). This means they watch (and instruct) these males VERY closely, and may even devise tasks for them that are both tests and designed to "break male spirit" and cause the changed males to cleave to increasingly female points of view (for example, they might order a changed male to serve under, or take a day job working under, a chauvinistic and authoritatian male).
However, these gender matters can be overstated and overemphasized. On the whole, all clergy of the Dark Maiden welcome an increase in worshippers of the Goddess, and the fellowship (and working with) more and more Servants of the Dark Dancer.
Specific in-ritual roles of "unchanged" males include dancing, singing, having spells cast ON THEM as part of rituals, taking part in collective spellcastings led by female clergy, intoning prayers in unison and responsively with other devout of Eilistraee, and in the tending of fires, braziers, drawn barriers, vestments and tools handed to or taken from, and used by, female worshippers, and so on. Nothing stops anyone, of any race or gender, praying to Eilistraee, including dancing and singing prayers - - and NO clergy of the Dark Maiden would frown on a male exhibiting such behaviour except when they thought it was being done to deliberately disrupt a larger ritual. Many males who worship the Dark Dancer find a moonlit wooded place, pray to Eilistraee to notice and smile upon them, and then disrobe and dance as they sing a deeper prayer (of thanks, and for guidance). Some human hunters who aren't drow or elves, and otherwise have nothing to do with such folk do this, and may dance around a silver bastard sword, and even (when the moon is full) sacrifice live-captured animals they've hunted down with a silver bastard sword. Others gash themselves with the sword while dancing around it, either in lieu of an offering or as well as an offering, as a mark of devotion. Such dances are sometimes undertaken by several males as part of a larger ritual led by female clergy, who heal the males as they wound themselves (and go on dancing and singing).
In short, things are changing among those who worship the Lady of the Dance. Recently, she has taken to manifesting (as a lure to non-believers, or a signal to her faithful) as a handful of dancing moonbeams or moon-motes, that play about a favoured person or an item she wants handled or attention paid to - - or that move about in a way that guides those who see this manifestation.
So saith Ed.
Who I know would like to say more, but future plans (and NDAs) prevent. I hope this has helped to answer some long-standing questions; I KNOW, dedicated scribes being dedicated scribes, that it will spark new ones.
love to all, THO

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  04:00:01  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra - I don't agree that dancing is a mostly female pursuit : /
That seems more of your opinion than an actual fact. Most of these gender roles you believe are "basic gender psychology" are socially constructed. They are not a fact of being male or female. I am taking Gender Psychology at University right now and what you seem to think of as fact contradicts all the research i've read on the subject.
Men (in our real world) are taught not the express emotion, its not inherent to being male, and it slips away when they don't know they're being scrutinized.

Men and women act very differently from culture to culture in our own world. I would think that in the Realms with the influence of many different divine entities people would be socialized to behave in just as diverse, if not more, ways than in the real world. I would think the gender roles of their previous lives would affect Drow who returned to the surface, but those raised their in Eilistraee worshiping societies would presumably be influenced by their deity to rid themselves of any self harming gender roles.

Why would a good aligned male drow become a priest of Vhaeraun or Ghaunadaur just because they're male? (Does Ghaunadaur have a gender?) If you were inclined towards seeking redemption or goodness I can't see you worshiping a deity just because he has the same gender as you, and I don't see why something like Ghaunadaur would care about gender at all.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  04:14:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, this is all pretty much what I was saying earlier, though in much more depth and detail, as is usual for Ed. Gotta love the guy! Of course, some of the lore from the Lady Penitant books might sort of supercede this now, but I'd say it's a pretty good summary of the faith's gender-roles.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  04:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

First, thank you to Sage, for posting Master Greenwood's reply to this subject. It seems, at least to me, that TW's question has been (re)answered.

With respect to Eilistraee, I agree with Alystra that dancing is a female-dominated endeavor. I would not say that is true Realms-wide.

I know I'm not a moderator, but could we please try to keep most of our discussion focused on both the topic of the scroll and with respect to the experiences in the Realms? I come to Candlekeep to exchange bits of lore and wisdom with fellow scribes on subjects pertaining to the Realms, or speaking with those who give us the Realms. Trying to argue real-life topics breaks the suspension of disbelief required for interaction in a Fantasy RPG setting.

Certainly we can put this topic (proverbially) to bed?

Of magic and mages I know much; of why you'd not study it, I am baffled.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  04:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a very interesting discussion, and I hope to see it continue.

The only society I see in FR that is anything like sexist as it exists in the real world would be drow society, and that's of course reversed from the conventional patriarchy into a hardcore matriarchy. The drow are, in a respect, the most like people of the real world--they are as messed up as regards gender (and yes, I'm using it in the psychological construct way) and sex as many people in the RW tend to be. It's a really interesting thing that numerous authors and designers have done with it.

And not to put anyone on the spot, but I saw a comment I thought might be pertinent (emphasis mine):
quote:
I suppose this wierd Eilistraeean gender-bender rite might originate from some guy who likes the image of a dude being turned into a juicy drow babe, in the first place (And the fact that most female drow seem to dress like sl*ts is another issue...).
I think people in the Realms fundamentally see this sort of practice in a slightly different way. It is, generally speaking, more socially acceptable to dress or act in a revealing/suggestive way, and I think the majority of people in FR don't think less of you because you do it. (With obvious exceptions, particularly among the old and/or curmudgeonly.)

Or maybe I'm wrong. What do people think?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  04:52:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not talking about alignment in that regard, MH- in fact, I specifically said that they would tend to seek her out only IF they were seeking redemption, but otherwise might be drawn more to one of the Male-dominated faiths. I was speaking in general terms of turning away from Lolth-based society. Might not have made that completely clear.

So you think it is purely a result of the culture, and natural inclination has nothing to do with it? I disagree- humans are conditioned to certain types of behaviors based on gender as well as culture, over thousands of years of evolved roles and abilities. Women were typically the gatherers and care-takers, while men did the "hard" work and protected the family-group. Our own culture today is just a ghost of a remnant of this, but it still shows. Males (typically) had less emotional investment in families, and were more concerned with practical physical matters. They're still primary bread-winners. I'd imagine this to be the case in the Realms, as well- from the average farmer working his fields while the wife cooks dinner or tends a garden, to the baker or merchant in a city like Waterdeep, while his mate takes care of the customers. (Mom and Pop stores in FR!) These roles have been passed down for hundreds, even thousands of years, and are so ingrained into the human psyche that they are basically hard-wired for it. And you don't think it has any bearing? Sorry, but that doesn't fly. Evolution is mental as well as physical, but takes much longer to adapt, due to the basic differences in gender of ALL species.

The animal world itself is clearly marked by gender boundaries, where many species have definite roles within the family unit- males as protectors and hunters, females nurturing the young. Humans are just more sophisticated about it, and have greater nuances in interactions based on complex society. That doesn't change the basic fact that they're still animals at their core. (Say what you will, but we're not THAT evolved....) This would still hold true in the Realms, possibly even more so, since it's more based on a medieval-type society in most areas, in which gender roles were more defined than today. In places with more primitive societies, this is more evident. And as I said, all one has to do is a little observation to see that we've not gone as far away from that as we like to think.

There are exceptions to this, of course, in certain species where the roles are reversed, but these are rare, and not the "norm" in nature. Seahorses, bettas, and penguins are some of the few examples I can think of where roles are shared equally or reversed. Large raptors and a few other birds might also be added to this, but these are few. Even ape societies are divided by gender roles, so it's clearly not a purely human or cultural concept- males tend to bond less with the young or with each other in those species, and females will form tight-knit groups, just as many human females do. That's cultural?! Somehow, I don't think so.

I think psychologists tend to over-look a lot of these behaviors in other species, and explain them in terms of purely cultural contexts, when they are pretty darn wide-spread among nearly all animals. Even some fish form family units, wit the same basic gender-roles of protector/provider and nurturer. So, yes, I believe it very much IS human nature- or maybe just NATURE in general!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  05:10:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember too that the drow, as degenerate and filthy and despicable as they might be, are still at their heart elven-blooded creatures of the fey. Dressing provocatively is a small way for them to appreciate and share their sensual beauty and form, to express themselves aesthetically, to show their physical perfection (and to scornfully demonstrate they're seemingly unarmed). They are proud, vain, and haughty creatures after all; their beauty is not just expected but can also be used as a weapon.

I also agree with ESdB ... clothing mores are based on cultural values. We have societies where revealing a little bit too much ankle demonstrates you're a wanton harlot; we have societies where men and women wear only a little string, oil, and an iPhone at the beach. Just because our culture has certain taboos and expectations towards nudity (or anything else, really) doesn't mean they're universally applied; not in our culture, not to other cultures, not to other worlds, not to other sentient races.

Nobody demands that orc and goblin women put more clothes on. Of course, we all know it's because they're hawt.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 Mar 2011 05:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  05:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we also need to keep in mind that drow females -- in fact, most females in fantasy -- aren't usually described as constantly wearing scanty attire. That particular trope comes from the fact that for a long time, the fantasy and sci-fi market catered almost exclusively to male fans, and we males generally like to see females not wearing too much.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  05:46:09  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azuth, dancing itself may not be a female endeavor, but I've noticed a strong trend for mostly female dancers and goddesses who endorse dancing in general. Seems an awful lot of the "religious" dancing in the Realms is done by the ladies! (And I'm sure most males wouldn't have it any other way, given the rather sensual nature of much of that dancing- not to mention the scanty attire or lack there-of that often seems to go with it!)

I'll second that, Erik- the only really sexist society I can see in the Realms is Lolthian drow culture. Eilistraee is not really sexist, as I see it, though still certainly female-oriented.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  15:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Culture may really be more a factor than religion. Lets take 2 opposites: Drow (female dominated) and Calimshan (Male Dominated with a middle eastern flair). These are probably the most polarized of cultures in the realms. Not surprisingly they both support slavery, delve dangerously deep into magic, and in their own way worship power over all.

As for dancing, my male dwarf cleric of Haela Brightaxe has been known to dance naked juggling a sword under the moon around a waterfall to honor his goddess. So it all depends on the individual.

"Why is the torch burning blue?"

Edited by - Gouf on 29 Mar 2011 17:11:57
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  16:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To echo some earlier posts, I think generally speaking, the Realms as a whole is more progressive than our RW society (MUCH more progressive than RW middle ages-era cultures), with men and women either at or at least closer to a state of equality. They just don't have double standards like the "player/slut" dichotomy (i.e., where a man is praised for having multiple lovers, whereas a woman is condemned for the same thing), or men consistently underestimating women as inferior warriors because they're "only women."

Any man in the Realms who sees women as the weaker sex is just underestimating half his opponents. 'Nuff said.

Partly for this reason (i.e. gender equality), sexual violence is also less common in the more enlightened Realms. For instance, in RW stories we all too often think of rape as a standard consequence of captivity for a female prisoner--it's a standard trope created by the sexism inherent in society.

Also, though this hasn't necessarily come up directly but is definitely relevant to a discussion of sexism, the Realms is also considerably more tolerant than our own society of what I call "non-baseline sexualities"--i.e. homosexuality, polyamory, etc. As I explained it to one of my gay male players on creating his gay male pirate, FR males who are attracted to other males--and females to females--don't even think of themselves as gay or anything out of the ordinary. They're just people like anyone else. (Imagine that!)

And in that light, it's not a surprise that in the Realms' most sexist society--Menzoberranzan--relationships between drow of the same sex are frowned upon (if female) or actively discouraged by blade and whip (if male.)

Not sure if we want to go farther on that point--I just wanted to point out that man vs. woman isn't the only issue sexism encompasses.

quote:

I'll second that, Erik- the only really sexist society I can see in the Realms is Lolthian drow culture. Eilistraee is not really sexist, as I see it, though still certainly female-oriented.
That's a really good distinction: a culture or organization can be male- or female-oriented without being sexist. Advocating the advancement of a particular gender/social group/organization does not necessarily entail rejection of other genders/groups/orgs.

For instance, while there are certainly exceptions to this, the RW feminist movement has never been about the elevation of the female gender in tune with some kind of suppression of the male gender. Rather, it's about bringing the two into a state of equality/equilibrium in terms of rights, respect, etc.

The Lolth-dominated drow society (which is currently just about *all* of drow society) is amazingly sexist. There is nothing feminist about women in black leather grinding submissive men under their stiletto heels.

(My masculine nature prompts me to add that it's a little bit hot, but not feminist!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 29 Mar 2011 16:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  19:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Partly for this reason (i.e. gender equality), sexual violence is also less common in the more enlightened Realms. For instance, in RW stories we all too often think of rape as a standard consequence of captivity for a female prisoner--it's a standard trope created by the sexism inherent in society.

I'd have to disagree on it being a result of sexism. Seems more to me like a result of "I'm in charge here and I intend to get pleasure psychologically and biologically at once in a way that degrades and physically hurts you, just because I can." Why would Lord Evilbastard bother restraining that impulse when, from his perspective, he has everything to gain? Talking about all-out crude nasties, here, not necessarily dignified types who are working on delicate threads of politics or have personal respect for the captive (or for some group she belongs to) or believe it's in their best interests to leave her untouched in that way; in the same manner, such a careful captor might eschew any other form of torture/degradation as well.

Or are you simply saying it's equally likely or unlikely for either female or male prisoners, in FR? As in, Evilbastard is just as likely to seek biological (in addition to psychological) satisfaction in either? Such turns of perspective/expectation---and how they influence and are influenced by society---intrigue me.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  20:39:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologize in advance for being such a downer, and it was really not my intention to turn this into a rape thread, but I think these are important issues that one should think about.

I'm going to take out what I was about to say, as I don't want to clutter the thread with something really dark. Instead, I'll put it on my blog (http://erikscottdebie.com/?p=168). Yays!

Let's not let this distract from the OP. If you want to address something I'm saying, comment on my blog or facebook.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 29 Mar 2011 20:48:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000