Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Missing races of Faerun....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  03:05:01  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a little confused on this issue. Whatever happened to Yuan-Ti Purebloods? Plus, why do Genasi now have no hair or crystals on. their heads?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  03:54:54  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the yuan ti purebloods got a name change to the whatever cultist...

and the gensai with hair... well that is still canon....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  06:06:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genasi got a cosmetic makeover for 4E. Nowhere near as dramatic as what happened to tieflings and eladrin.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  06:35:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the para/quasi genesi from Dragon.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  10:45:33  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's all cosmetic stuff that can easily be changed to suit whatever needs the player wants. I don't really understand why anyone feels they have to maintain some artists's concept of what their character looks like. Genasi in my game usually take on the looks and appearance of older, 3E Genasi but I wouldn't make it set in stone and some people like their new appearance.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  13:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the 4e genasi look is practically the only thing I like about 4e. And I think they can both work in the same game, just have one (in my case, the 4e one) be for genasi who are either closer to their elemental parent in generations, or have a more powerful elemental parent. So for instance the 4e genasi look would be for 1st generation, the 2e genasi look would be for 2nd and continuing generations, though they all have the same powers.

Alystra, which dragon had the para/quasi genasi? I seem to have missed that and would like to read it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  15:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if you are using Pathfinder, the Bestiary 2 has genasi equivalents: the ifrit (fire genasi), oread (earth genasi), sylph (air genasi), and undine (water genasi).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  16:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what is known as a "ret-con", and a completely optional one at that. As mentioned, one doesn't have to stand by the artistic concepts presented by 4e. Personally I rather like them. The "default" assumption isn't that genasi "now" have crystal hair, it's that they always did. Just like tieflings always looked like Hellboy, metallic dragons were always more inclined to the hungrier end of neutral, and half-orcs were always more dexterous instead of less intelligent. Again, one doesn't have to go with these, and if one does one doesn't need the "always" explanation. Again, personally, I like most of it.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  17:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are 4e tieflings Hellboy look-alikes? I wouldn't know, since I barely know 4e and don't know Hellboy at all. Can you give some similiarities? Now I'm curious.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  18:06:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hellboy (as depicted in comics)

Tieflings of 4E
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  18:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Are 4e tieflings Hellboy look-alikes? I wouldn't know, since I barely know 4e and don't know Hellboy at all. Can you give some similiarities? Now I'm curious.

Here's the picture of a tiefling from the 4E Monster Manual and here's a good rendering (by his creator, Mike Mignola) of Hellboy (who files off his horns).

I definitely see the resemblance, but am in the "make 'em look like whatever you wannem to look like" camp.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 10 Mar 2011 18:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  18:12:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoondatha, run a search for "Roaming Genasi Tavern" for awesome info on para/quasi-genasi. I'd link you, but I'm at work. I discovered that wonderful site through an old post by our friendly neighborhood Sage.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Diffan and Christopher: Ah yes, you're right. There's a definite resemblance there. Thanks for the pics.

@Fellfire: I'll take a look. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
198 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

That's all cosmetic stuff that can easily be changed to suit whatever needs the player wants. I don't really understand why anyone feels they have to maintain some artists's concept of what their character looks like. Genasi in my game usually take on the looks and appearance of older, 3E Genasi but I wouldn't make it set in stone and some people like their new appearance.

In my campaign I assume, that the more elf- or genielike 3e genasi are the 'genasi nativ to Toril' (mainly descendent from genie ancestors in Calimshan or Zakhara) and that the 4e genasi are the 'genasi nativ to Abeir'.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:14:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't view the changed genasi as a retcon.

First: they're remarkable and adaptable creatures descended from equally adaptable parentage; their species might "evolve" rapidly into whatever form is best shaped for their world, ie: genasi who dwell on the Prime (in the Realms and elsewhere) eventually differ somewhat from those who reside in the Elemental or other planes. Their genetic template might be versatile enough to allow individuals to develop quite differently within these differing worlds and planar environs; a pair of genasi twins reared on separate planes might be identified (cosmetically) as entirely different species.

Second: genasi (in the Realms at least) typically have increasingly diluted djinn heritage over generations. Their human traits become increasingly pronounced, though their djinn traits never truly recede.

Third: genasi and humans are radically different species. From a pseudo-genetic standpoint this means all sorts of unexpected expressions might lurk within subsequent generations, it's always possible for a genasi to be born who appears as a "pure" djinn or human. Particularly if magic is involved.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Arik.

For myself, I explain any changes from 3/3.5 to 4E genasi (not in print, mind you, just to myself) by positing that with the return of Abeir, there's more "primal energy" floating around the world and thus genasi are more apt to have more primal physical expressions.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, I'm in the "make them look how you want" camp, just happens I want them to look like the 4e art. And since I didn't start incorporating them(or any of the planetouched, for that matter), into my games until after 4e, I don't have a reason to explain a change.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:38:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For all we know, the artists were sketching portraits of separate groups of genasi (as seen, for instance, in places like Waterdeep and Zakhara). Human populations have variable colouration and cosmetic details which depend on ancestry and region; it's not unreasonable to allow djinn to also have a wide range of "ethnic" types ... if so, how much moreso for a particular family/clan/population of genasi?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000