Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Missing races of Faerun....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aryalómë Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 03:05:01
Just a little confused on this issue. Whatever happened to Yuan-Ti Purebloods? Plus, why do Genasi now have no hair or crystals on. their heads?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 20:38:39
For all we know, the artists were sketching portraits of separate groups of genasi (as seen, for instance, in places like Waterdeep and Zakhara). Human populations have variable colouration and cosmetic details which depend on ancestry and region; it's not unreasonable to allow djinn to also have a wide range of "ethnic" types ... if so, how much moreso for a particular family/clan/population of genasi?
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 20:25:09
Yea, I'm in the "make them look how you want" camp, just happens I want them to look like the 4e art. And since I didn't start incorporating them(or any of the planetouched, for that matter), into my games until after 4e, I don't have a reason to explain a change.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 20:18:03
Good stuff, Arik.

For myself, I explain any changes from 3/3.5 to 4E genasi (not in print, mind you, just to myself) by positing that with the return of Abeir, there's more "primal energy" floating around the world and thus genasi are more apt to have more primal physical expressions.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 20:14:30
I wouldn't view the changed genasi as a retcon.

First: they're remarkable and adaptable creatures descended from equally adaptable parentage; their species might "evolve" rapidly into whatever form is best shaped for their world, ie: genasi who dwell on the Prime (in the Realms and elsewhere) eventually differ somewhat from those who reside in the Elemental or other planes. Their genetic template might be versatile enough to allow individuals to develop quite differently within these differing worlds and planar environs; a pair of genasi twins reared on separate planes might be identified (cosmetically) as entirely different species.

Second: genasi (in the Realms at least) typically have increasingly diluted djinn heritage over generations. Their human traits become increasingly pronounced, though their djinn traits never truly recede.

Third: genasi and humans are radically different species. From a pseudo-genetic standpoint this means all sorts of unexpected expressions might lurk within subsequent generations, it's always possible for a genasi to be born who appears as a "pure" djinn or human. Particularly if magic is involved.
Lirdolin Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 19:36:22
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

That's all cosmetic stuff that can easily be changed to suit whatever needs the player wants. I don't really understand why anyone feels they have to maintain some artists's concept of what their character looks like. Genasi in my game usually take on the looks and appearance of older, 3E Genasi but I wouldn't make it set in stone and some people like their new appearance.

In my campaign I assume, that the more elf- or genielike 3e genasi are the 'genasi nativ to Toril' (mainly descendent from genie ancestors in Calimshan or Zakhara) and that the 4e genasi are the 'genasi nativ to Abeir'.
Hoondatha Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 19:02:42
@Diffan and Christopher: Ah yes, you're right. There's a definite resemblance there. Thanks for the pics.

@Fellfire: I'll take a look. Thanks.
Fellfire Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 18:12:01
Hoondatha, run a search for "Roaming Genasi Tavern" for awesome info on para/quasi-genasi. I'd link you, but I'm at work. I discovered that wonderful site through an old post by our friendly neighborhood Sage.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 18:09:30
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Are 4e tieflings Hellboy look-alikes? I wouldn't know, since I barely know 4e and don't know Hellboy at all. Can you give some similiarities? Now I'm curious.

Here's the picture of a tiefling from the 4E Monster Manual and here's a good rendering (by his creator, Mike Mignola) of Hellboy (who files off his horns).

I definitely see the resemblance, but am in the "make 'em look like whatever you wannem to look like" camp.
Diffan Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 18:06:47
Hellboy (as depicted in comics)

Tieflings of 4E
Hoondatha Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 17:57:31
Are 4e tieflings Hellboy look-alikes? I wouldn't know, since I barely know 4e and don't know Hellboy at all. Can you give some similiarities? Now I'm curious.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 16:53:57
This is what is known as a "ret-con", and a completely optional one at that. As mentioned, one doesn't have to stand by the artistic concepts presented by 4e. Personally I rather like them. The "default" assumption isn't that genasi "now" have crystal hair, it's that they always did. Just like tieflings always looked like Hellboy, metallic dragons were always more inclined to the hungrier end of neutral, and half-orcs were always more dexterous instead of less intelligent. Again, one doesn't have to go with these, and if one does one doesn't need the "always" explanation. Again, personally, I like most of it.
Hawkins Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 15:44:55
Also, if you are using Pathfinder, the Bestiary 2 has genasi equivalents: the ifrit (fire genasi), oread (earth genasi), sylph (air genasi), and undine (water genasi).
Hoondatha Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 13:50:36
Actually, the 4e genasi look is practically the only thing I like about 4e. And I think they can both work in the same game, just have one (in my case, the 4e one) be for genasi who are either closer to their elemental parent in generations, or have a more powerful elemental parent. So for instance the 4e genasi look would be for 1st generation, the 2e genasi look would be for 2nd and continuing generations, though they all have the same powers.

Alystra, which dragon had the para/quasi genasi? I seem to have missed that and would like to read it.
Diffan Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 10:45:33
That's all cosmetic stuff that can easily be changed to suit whatever needs the player wants. I don't really understand why anyone feels they have to maintain some artists's concept of what their character looks like. Genasi in my game usually take on the looks and appearance of older, 3E Genasi but I wouldn't make it set in stone and some people like their new appearance.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 06:35:21
I like the para/quasi genesi from Dragon.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 06:06:18
Genasi got a cosmetic makeover for 4E. Nowhere near as dramatic as what happened to tieflings and eladrin.
sfdragon Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 03:54:54
the yuan ti purebloods got a name change to the whatever cultist...

and the gensai with hair... well that is still canon....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000