Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 making a spell?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  22:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im trying to figure out what the spell was that elminster used in Elminster in Myth Drannor. He states that it is used to dismantle a deer into cuts of meat for travel i believe and he uses it on that elvish wizard that attakcs him. the result of which sends the elvish wizards head falling of the cliff. What was that spell and if it does not exist anyware how would somebody go about recreating it for there capaign world?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)

Edited by - Synthalus on 28 Feb 2011 23:27:30

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  11:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so im guessing no one knows the spell im talking about then?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  11:52:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No clue.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  11:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elminster battles a evlish wizard that hates him because he is human and allowed in the elven lands. he battles him on a cliff face and paralizes elminster and the only spell elminster can use is this spell and it sends the elf's head falling of the cliff, where it hits one of to evles climbing the cliff and it sends that elf to his death as well. there has to be some one that knows the spell or the battle im talking about. its from the Book Elminster in Myth Drannor. please tell me someone knows what im talking about and that im not crazy!

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  12:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anybody? Arik you must know the spell im talking about.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  16:22:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a spell I'm familiar with from 2e/AD&D or 3e/v3.5, but it could just be author's fiat. It happens all the time in novels as they're not bound to the rules of D&D (a good thing IMO).

The only spell from v3.5 that comes to mind is Mordenkainen's Sword AKA Mage's Sword. This is a pretty powerful spell, so I don't see why he'd be using it to cut up Deer into sizeable portions. Also could be like Blast of Force: sor/wiz 2 (SC, p 31) with the Still Spell metamagic feat applied and just worded in a way that resembles a blade of magic when it's just a force effect.

If that doesn't ease your mind, then I think it's a better bet to create it yourself. From your description, it seems as if the spell acts like a blade and cuts things at your discretion. This reminds me of a spell from Harry Potter in which Prof. Snape devised that cuts through objects (and people) called Sectumsempra. From what Wiki-harry potter says, "When uttered, it's effect is the equivalent of an invisible sword, slashing the target repeatedly." This is very much like the spell you described from Elminster in Myth Drannor.

Hope this helps some.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  17:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will go with Diffan in this. Or, maybe, THO or Ed himself could provide a better insight on this.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, post it on the Ask Ed thread.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  20:25:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the novel and can only speculate on the spell. It's plausible that it was a one-shot on-the-fly dweomer crafted for that (or some other) very specific purpose; or some specialized variant of an existing spell (Elminster likes to research such esoteric things). The best answer will come directly from Ed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  22:04:00  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the fight you're talking about. Wasn't it the elf lord that cast that spell against Elminster, and then it rebounded on him due to El's mantle?
In any case, I can't think of any existing spell that duplicates those effects exactly.
You could probably treat it as a modified finger of death spell, where a failed save decapitates the target, and a successful one slashes them with invisible blades for half damage. They're both save-or-die spells, and some undead aren't inconvenienced by their heads suddenly parting company with their shoulders. ;)

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  22:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
your right it was the elf lord casting the spell at elminster! and that is a good idea about the modified finger of death spell. thanks for the idea.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  03:48:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember such a spell specifically having been created outside of that incident in the novel, but it's possible that the Wizard Spell Compendium or the Complete Spellbook has what you are looking for. Possibly the Complete Arcane or The d20 Ultimate Spellbook sources might as well. Those are the first places I would check, (especially the WSC, as it has numerous spells that never made it into later editions.) That said, if it's not in one of those, you could try making it as a force knife similar to Mord's Sword spell but less powerful, or perhaps a single blade version of Blade Barrier. There is the Ice Knife spell, also, but that is more of a targeted throwing weapon spell.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed in The Annotated Elminster, there is a section for each of the three novels regarding Realmslore for the particular novel, but I didn't see this mentioned (I only skimmed through though).

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks alisttair ill check there first and then move on to the Wizard Spell Compendium from there.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000