Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Karse
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  12:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I got the descriptions of Karse from a lot of the sourcebooks. But I was wondering if anyone knows of a map or a drawing of it somewhere so I can get a really good visual to share with my players once they visit this site in my home campaign?
I plan to use it as part of the resurrection of Karsus (which they will unknowingly assist in), so the more info the better.
(if no one knows of a map or drawing of it, maybe someone with artistic talent willing to make a free drawing? or someone with map making talents willing to do likewise?)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  16:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone?

BUMPY BUMP BUMP

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just take waterdeep and change all the temples into temples of Karsus. Oh and put a karsus gift shop on every corner. They could sell karsus mickey ears, collectors wands, and sparkle powder.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  19:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Synthalus

Just take waterdeep and change all the temples into temples of Karsus. Oh and put a karsus gift shop on every corner. They could sell karsus mickey ears, collectors wands, and sparkle powder.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  19:26:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that's not a bad idea, but I would use Myth Drannor (from the Ruins box) instead.

There's also THIS.

I was going to recommend module B4 and say adapt it, but that 'city' is actually inside a pyramid (which could work for one of Karse's buildings). Just Google-Image 'City fantasy map', and say the buildings are ruined.

For pics, do the same using 'Ruined city' - here's a Good one - looks like the Tarasque is still pissed about his liver (or whatever it was that was required for Karsus' spell).

And just for Synthalus: Karsneyland.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2011 19:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  13:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, did Karsus enclave crash at the same location Karse is perhaps? I might do a resurrection of his enclave (which i have a map for in the Netheril boxed set).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  14:14:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Without [Mystryl's] infusion of magic, the floating cities of Netheril fell, and Karsus was instantly slain. His bloated body petrified and toppled from the high plateau above his floating city and plummeted to earth. As his body fell, his stony eyes, still shimmering with the last glint of godly omniscience, caught a glimpse of the cities of Netheril smashing to the ground, killing all their inhabitants.
[Mystra] was able to save only three of Netheril’s floating cities; the rest were utterly destroyed. These three — Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath — were high enough above the ground to survive. The cities safely landed, and the survivors stumbled away from the cities in shock.
Some of those who traveled north followed "dream visions" and built a small city near the bleeding red stone corpse of Karsus, mistaking the former archwizard’s petrified corpse as that of a dying god. They named their city Karse in honor of the finding of their "god." Their worship of Karsus angered other nearby denizens, however, and it was widely held that the lich Wulgreth had the city destroyed in 3533 in retribution for what Karsus had done to him. Other sages, however, believe Wulgreth was busy in Ascalhorn trying to destroy what remained of Netheril, piece by piece, patiently enacting his revenge...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  14:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
Without [Mystryl's] infusion of magic, the floating cities of Netheril fell, and Karsus was instantly slain. His bloated body petrified and toppled from the high plateau above his floating city and plummeted to earth. As his body fell, his stony eyes, still shimmering with the last glint of godly omniscience, caught a glimpse of the cities of Netheril smashing to the ground, killing all their inhabitants.
[Mystra] was able to save only three of Netheril’s floating cities; the rest were utterly destroyed. These three — Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath — were high enough above the ground to survive. The cities safely landed, and the survivors stumbled away from the cities in shock.
Some of those who traveled north followed "dream visions" and built a small city near the bleeding red stone corpse of Karsus, mistaking the former archwizard’s petrified corpse as that of a dying god. They named their city Karse in honor of the finding of their "god." Their worship of Karsus angered other nearby denizens, however, and it was widely held that the lich Wulgreth had the city destroyed in 3533 in retribution for what Karsus had done to him. Other sages, however, believe Wulgreth was busy in Ascalhorn trying to destroy what remained of Netheril, piece by piece, patiently enacting his revenge...

So there is effectively ruins (as mentioned, something akin to Myth Drannor when it was in ruins) surrounding the red butte at the center then. Would it be the entire ruined city that is surrounded by albino oaks then??

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im not to sure but if you take albino then there will beano gas!

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm...I like all natural peanut butter.

Did any of the stories in Realms of Shadow deal with Karse if anyone remembers? (in any way, shape or form)?

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  19:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be completely wrong, but I vaguely remember the Interactive FR Atlas has a map of Karse.

I'll have to install the software and check though.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  20:48:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Karse (and Wulgreth and Jingleshod and surrounding environs) did feature in novels. At least in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. As a reader, I somehow developed the very distinct impression that Wulgreth/Jingleshod (and thus Karse) have already appeared in other FR novels which I don't recall reading. I don't recall Karse being substantially detailed (as much more than an ominous name) anywhere in the Realms of Shadow or Netheril trilogies.

Netheril and How the Mighty Have Fallen (and anything you can get which maps out Thultanthar or Sakkors) are probably your best sources.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Feb 2011 20:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  12:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

I could be completely wrong, but I vaguely remember the Interactive FR Atlas has a map of Karse.

Let me know if you find it on there. I have the Atlas at home as well, so if you see it, I will look it up as well (or at elast try to remember to look it up on my own anyways).

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  13:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Let me know if you find it on there. I have the Atlas at home as well, so if you see it, I will look it up as well (or at elast try to remember to look it up on my own anyways).

It seems I was wrong. There's no map of Karse in the Interactive Atlas, but I'm sure I saw it somewhere. It might have been a homebrew map made with CC2...
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  14:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I won't bother checking mine now hehe thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  15:05:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus it was the pituitary gland. :)

I played in that adventure and when the tarasque came up, I was mortified. I had primarily 3e experience (this was a 2e game), so when we as 10th level PCs were supposed to steal it's gland, I was sure that we were doomed.

Apparently, not so scarey in 2e.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  15:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Markus it was the pituitary gland. :)

I played in that adventure and when the tarasque came up, I was mortified. I had primarily 3e experience (this was a 2e game), so when we as 10th level PCs were supposed to steal it's gland, I was sure that we were doomed.

Apparently, not so scarey in 2e.

Heh, I'll be adapting it to 4e, but will run it probably around character level 15 with the Tarrasque leveled down to at least 20 rather than his regular level 30 (its younger here so when thy go back to the future - dun dun dun...de de dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun, dun....something like that - they will eventually fight an older version at the appropriate level).

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  17:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think of all these is a better representation of Karse:
http://media.lasplash.com/5/sedona_5158_1.jpg <--this one except with more forest than desert around it?

http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/02/20/87/400_F_2208796_XDjyqDjOPQEFlme2AzauMN2l81kGmn.jpg <----or this maybe (minus the cyclists) but with ruins around in the forest??

Or if someone has something better to give a good idea???

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  20:20:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those look very cubical. It makes me wonder if the pyramids were supposed to be cubes but the builders ran out of stone.

There's a lot of cool looking rock formations on google. I personally like the weirdly improbable ones (like this or this), my logic is that Karsus must somehow appear "godly" and unnatural ("His bloated body petrified and toppled from the high plateau above his floating city and plummeted to earth") ... another great option is the classic huge broken stone statue (which often looks something like Buddha or Zeus or one of these guys).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  20:22:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can it be made of red marble? Black marble with blood red (or Mystryl blue) veins? Or is the stone already described somewhere as being granite?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can it be made of red marble? Black marble with blood red (or Mystryl blue) veins? Or is the stone already described somewhere as being granite?

I only recall it being a red butte, but it may be better described in the Return of the Archwizards novels (I don't remember the description I read in those 9 years ago).

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those look very cubical. It makes me wonder if the pyramids were supposed to be cubes but the builders ran out of stone.

There's a lot of cool looking rock formations on google. I personally like the weirdly improbable ones (like this or this), my logic is that Karsus must somehow appear "godly" and unnatural ("His bloated body petrified and toppled from the high plateau above his floating city and plummeted to earth") ... another great option is the classic huge broken stone statue (which often looks something like Buddha or Zeus or one of these guys).

The first on you put (like this), I can see how it could work, like his godly visage was stuck above the ground while the rest of his divinely petrified body lies below (perhaps a network of tunnels have formed since the spellplague??).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  18:32:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tunnels and caverns, perhaps even an underground city, ruins, or a proper dungeon under Karsus himself.

Infested by monsters? Undead? Dwarven miners? (Would they carve into stone of Karsus? What would they find?)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000