Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ah how times change
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  00:35:00  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hey Guys

havent been on here for ages, its good to go through all the topics.
i seem to have lost the drive to play, well with the group of people i use to game with anyway.
its always the same, then end up just messing around and not get anything done.
is it just me or do you have high expectations from reading a book to actually playing?
i know that i can read the books and am just like that would be great to do, but when you get to playing i dont know if its just the people i play with or if it just cant be done but im always let down.
there is so much i want to do and none of them seem to have as much knowledge of the realms as i do and thats what i want.

end Rant

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  04:24:15  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
players have a way of messing up the best laid plans.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  13:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sound like it's either them being a bunch of bobbleheads fooling around or you just overplanning...please give more detail so we know the situation bette.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:13:45  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could be a bit of both but i think mainly them being bobble heads.
like you go through a fight scene and they are just like yeah i hit you thats it.
nothing else, no trying new things or flanking tactics or feints.
you know your read drizzt fighting and pretty much any other FR book when it comes to combat and there is so much you can do and most is possible in game. but they just dont have the ability to do it

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they have different objectives in playing than you, find new people to play with.

If they're not good improvisers but would like to be, do your best to set an example and give them advice out-of-game. But it depends for instance on why they're boring in the fight scenes: Are they embarrassed or creatively inhibited? Do they not read the sort of books you do? Are they just stuck in a habit?

If they mess around rather than playing, and you're friends, things can sometimes be improved by spending more time with them on non-gaming occasions.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  12:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of one player I used to have. Just stand and swing a sword, very bland. If he was surrounded by 80 crossbows pointed at him, he would fight and die not caring. Thought he was invincible with his stand and swing. (he never was surrounded like that, but something similar occured).

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  12:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL stand and swing invinciblility! Did he think he could deflect 80 crossbow bolts in one turn? Pin Cushion!

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  14:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Synthalus

LOL stand and swing invinciblility! Did he think he could deflect 80 crossbow bolts in one turn? Pin Cushion!

I think he felt not a single one of them would hit his AC and those that did, well it wasn't enough damage to worry about (single die of damage per) and his triple digit HP.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  15:59:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dinnin

could be a bit of both but i think mainly them being bobble heads.
like you go through a fight scene and they are just like yeah i hit you thats it.
nothing else, no trying new things or flanking tactics or feints.
you know your read drizzt fighting and pretty much any other FR book when it comes to combat and there is so much you can do and most is possible in game. but they just dont have the ability to do it

This very much depends on the character they're playing. While I wholly confess that I am a power-gamer, I tend to utilize a lot of tactics for flavor sake alone. My current character has the ability to whip his shield around like Captain America with the feat Shield Sling. I even put a lesser crystal of Return in it so it'd come back to me on the next turn. Now, this isn't exactly optimal espically when i get get a solid 3 ranged attacks with my bow but it's fun as hell making trip attacks with the shield .

Also, you could throw in some nifty stuff from the Tome of Battle, which I higly recommend for people who just swing and sit with their characters.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  16:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When 4E came around, he wouldn't even use his at-will powers. All he would do is stand there and Basic Attack all the time still...

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  16:25:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

When 4E came around, he wouldn't even use his at-will powers. All he would do is stand there and Basic Attack all the time still...

Then he needs to get Essentials and rock out with the Slayer or Knight. That's one of the best things about that supplement, just stance + MBA = fun! IMO this is espically true with DMPCs who don't want to waste time with their own character devising powers and what not and just swing for the fenceses, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  20:05:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Encourage more creativity with demonstrations (by the other players, by NPCs, by opponents) of all the interesting bonuses which can be gained with more varied tactics. Being predictable to your opponents is not a good thing. Though it may be most unheroic for me to say this, I will say it still: the brave nutjob who boldly stands his ground front-and-center on the battlefield is usually marked by the enemy as some kind of leader or threat and targeted appropriately.

You could start with gentle hints; archers, flaming oil, traps and landmines, evard's rubber tentacles, breath weapons, catapults, berserkers ... the little stuff that helps keep smart heroes constantly on the move and looking for cover. A less subtle hint might be parking a golem in his face. Surely we've all played video games or CRPGs where simply standing your ground is an ineffective tactic, especially when fighting some kind of nasty BBEG sort? A million hit points can get whittled down surprisingly fast if you refuse to properly economize them by dodging and striking proactively. It's like anything else in life, you'll never succeed much by simply reacting all the time (and in the case of medieval combat, you'll get run through and hacked apart for lacking initiative).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  22:28:20  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah all very good points, i wouldnt mind finding new people but there arent alot of places here in adelaide.
worst part is that i cant even really play now cos they guy that use to organize it and i arent really seeing eye to eye anymore.
i think ill try find new people.
thanks heaps guys, and yes a tank player is always good but are always targeted by the opponent, and i hate those dumb tanks.
ive played suped up elf before and was over 6 foot thanks to some strange magic but he was cunning and wasnt just stand and swiing which is what i would rather.

Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Then he needs to get Essentials and rock out with the Slayer or Knight. That's one of the best things about that supplement, just stance + MBA = fun! IMO this is espically true with DMPCs who don't want to waste time with their own character devising powers and what not and just swing for the fenceses, lol.

Good point. I don't know if he would like that, but he would definately benefit more from it . I would like maybe someone else I know to do that cause he takes forever to decide what to do (extreme in the other direction). Ah well!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000