Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 vampires in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:05:05  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ive long been a fan of forgotten realms, but i really haven't found much information about the vampires that inhabit the realms. i do know of mordoc selammere and his gets, which i killed in baldur's gate dark alliance 2, and have been wanting to create my own vampire character. in the warhammer universe i was happy to finally get my hands on night's dark master, which is a vampire guide, but it basically said that vampires aren't supposed to be played as because it's against the spirit of wfrp. but being the rebel i am i decided to create a male lahmian (one of the five bloodlines of vampires). so i would like to know more about these creatures that im totally obsessed with (not over warhammer's high elves or star elves of course, or the elder scrolls high elves). one question is are there any known bloodlines at all of vampires? secondly, are there any known settlements in which they inhabit? and, when i read on the wiki that ALL vampires are evil, i got discouraged a bit. though i doubt that it is true any more. so please inform me and tell me anything that regards to the vampires! :)

p.s. and before you ask, yes i am a raving maniac over warhammer :)

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:23:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not all vampires in FR are evil. There's a handful of neutral and good vampires. Jander Sunstar, for example, is a good vamp. Course, he doesn't really exist in FR any more since he was taken to Ravenloft....

But there are a few other vamps that aren't evil but in general, yes, most of them are evil.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:31:17  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. :) On the FR wiki it said that they, no matter what alignment they were in life, must turn to any evil alignment in their new vampire state. Do you know of any cities, strongholds, etc that vampires live in or tend to group together, or at least there is a significant number of them? Also, I'd like to know how to make a vampire PC, I've read all about the whole using the dhampir's abilities and I've looked at a vampire npc and she had the same abilities, but I'd like to know if there is any official FR or D&D source that I may find.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:39:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a vampiric smoke drake named Brimstone running about in the Realms who was a major character in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy, and Jandar (who is an elf, BTW!), as Kuje mentioned. Mordoc is not strictly canon, as he only appeared in the BG:DA2 game, AFAIK. There are other vamps in Faerun, even a small family of Gold elf vampires in the Cormanthyr area. You might ask in the Ask Ed thread in the Chamber of Sages, or see if any of our other scribes here know of any from various source-books. I also remember a drow vampire in the City of the Spider Queen 3.5 book, or it might have been the Underdark one. Well, there was one in there somewhere, anyway, though I don't recall the vamp's name off-hand.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:49:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of two specifically -- Shyressa of the Twisted Rune and the Night King [the Manshoon clone]. Steven Schend's Empires of the Shining Sea has a little about what the vampires serving the Twisted Rune are like, as well as Shyressa [see the 3e Lords of Darkness entry for the "Twisted Rune" also]. And Master of Chains, by Jess Lebow -- specifically the sections dealing with Shyressa and her cabal of vampires. For sources on the Night King, see the "Westgate" entry in Cloak & Dagger, and the section on the Night Masks in 3e Lords of Darkness. Additionally, I suggest you take a look through the original Lords of Darkness REF5 tome, which also has lore on vampires in the Realms.

There's also a couple of vampires among the Moonstars. Of particular note is Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka, the LE vampire, who has joined with the Moonstars and was a deepcover Harper agent. He's also briefly mentioned in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

Eric Boyd's also shared a few minor tidbits about vampires in the Realms through some of his replies at Candlekeep. Steven Schend has as well, mainly in regard to those LE vampires operating among the Moonstars.

And, finally, 2e's Van Richten's Guide to Vampires is, while a RAVENLOFT tome, perfectly suited to supporting vampire encounters in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Feb 2011 04:52:49
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

Thanks for that. :) On the FR wiki it said that they, no matter what alignment they were in life, must turn to any evil alignment in their new vampire state. Do you know of any cities, strongholds, etc that vampires live in or tend to group together, or at least there is a significant number of them?
There are exceptions to every rule, though non-evil vampires are definitely very rare. The psychological pressure of vampirism, particularly over time, is vast.

The Night Masks of Westgate c. 3e were ruled by a coven of vampires, the king of which was Orbakh, a vampiric clone of Manshoon of the Zhentarim. Check out the 3e Lords of Darkness sourcebook.

For a good guide to playing a D&D vampire, you might check out the old 2e Van Richten's Guide to Vampires.

Cheers
Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:54:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

No, not all vampires in FR are evil. There's a handful of neutral and good vampires. Jander Sunstar, for example, is a good vamp. Course, he doesn't really exist in FR any more since he was taken to Ravenloft....
From what we know... Jander wanted to die in rays of the sun at the end of Vampire of the Mists [a RAVENLOFT novel]. However, the Mists of Ravenloft snatched him away before he could be burned, determined to keep him alive in his tortured existence. If you're looking for more about Sunstar, I suggest you pick up Children of the Night: Vampires for a more latest mention. Jander also received some updated treatment in the 3e RL Champions of Darkness resource.

And just for completeness sake:- Jander Sunstar's FR anthology appearances include:- "One Last Drink" from Realms of Valor, "The Quiet Place" from Realms of Magic, and "Blood Sport" from Realms of Infamy.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Feb 2011 04:55:20
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:13:01  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the info! But about Ravenloft being 2e, I was hoping that it could be 4e or at least around 3e-3.5, but I'll try and see if I can work it out! But in case if anyone does know of how I can create a vampire in 4e, please do tell.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:15:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd check the Vampires of Waterdeep, Blood of Malar arc from Dungeon magazine. Great series!

edit: issues #126, 127, 128

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Feb 2011 05:25:16
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:19:57  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find these? I'm desperate for information!
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:21:56  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Forgotten Realms adventure City of the Spider Queen that Alystra mentions, there were the following vampires:

• Jorganni: a female drider vampire 7th level Cleric of Kiaransalee who keeps a hunge monstrous spider and an Arachnoid Gray Render (think Gray Render with spider legs and a poison bite) as pets. Man she was a nasty NPC! Jhorganni failed the test of Lolth and was made into a drider. This caused her to abaondon worship of Lolth and turn to Kiaransalee. She's eager to make more vampires and send them into the world (per her description in the adventure on page 91)...a possible tie-in for a vampire player character right there.

• Dorina T'sarran: a female drow vampire 11th level Cleric of Kiaransalee. Ruler of Szith Morcane and follower of the Cult of the White Banshee.

• various vampire noble guards: all male 8th level drow fighters

• Chahir: a male human vampire 8th level sorcerer. Of noble lineage that can be traced back to ancient Jhaamdath, Chahir dwells in the Dordrien crypts in Daggerdale and has taken to creating vampire spawn from tomb robbers foolish enough to disturb the tomb Chahir once shared with his wife (also a vampire, she was slain in Daggerdale some time back). Another good possibility for a sire of a PC vampire.

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:26:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the popularity of vampire fiction in both Adult and YA literature, I once expected WotC would launch a Vampires series in FR. I know Ravenloft has a lot of them; but still...

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 11 Feb 2011 05:27:20
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:27:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a whole line of 3/3.5 Ravenloft material but it just wasn't originally published by WOTC, since Sword and Sorcery had the license for awhile.

quote:

Thanks so much for the info! But about Ravenloft being 2e, I was hoping that it could be 4e or at least around 3e-3.5, but I'll try and see if I can work it out! But in case if anyone does know of how I can create a vampire in 4e, please do tell.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always ignored the "vampires have to be evil" thing myself; in my campaigns vampires have always been neutral hungry. They're simply predators, intelligent predators but predators who look at mortals as meals. Some are sociopaths and sadists, and some do the Blade/Angel thing and work to protect people, but these are a minority.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:47:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to do the same thing with werecreatures. I never understood why some of them are automatically evil, or neutral, or good.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I've always ignored the "vampires have to be evil" thing myself; in my campaigns vampires have always been neutral hungry. They're simply predators, intelligent predators but predators who look at mortals as meals. Some are sociopaths and sadists, and some do the Blade/Angel thing and work to protect people, but these are a minority.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. As a result I tend to cast followers of Malar in a somewhat more positive(though by no means good) light.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:50:11  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for a city of undead, you might try the 3rd Edition D&D sourcebook Ghostwalk by Monte Cook and Sean Reynolds.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 11 Feb 2011 05:51:21
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  06:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But in case if anyone does know of how I can create a vampire in 4e, please do tell.
If you're a D&D Insider subscriber you may be interested in my article on Playing a Dhampyr (half-vampire). Alternately, you can find the same article in the 2009 Dragon Magazine Annual if you're inclined toward print sourcebooks.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  07:09:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As Kuje noted, Swords and Sorcery published a number of sourcebooks for the 3e interpretation of RAVENLOFT. Though specifically divorced from the core-2e AD&D dynamic of having the settings relate to each other, the setting material for 3e RL still provided vague hints to previously referenced cross-setting elements, like the faithful of Lathander and/or Bane in the Dread Domains, only slightly altering them in ways so as not to mention Lathander or Bane deliberately by name. Characters from other settings who found their way to RAVENLOFT in 2e, still remained in the 3e setting, but their histories omitted specific reference to their homeworlds -- being replaced instead with vague descriptions of these same worlds and, again, not mentioning them by name.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  08:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
even a small family of Gold elf vampires in the Cormanthyr area.

Where can I find more info on them?

quote:
Of particular note is Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka, the LE vampire, who has joined with the Moonstars and was a deepcover Harper agent. He's also briefly mentioned in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

Are his levels given there?

---
And on topic of FR vampires, there's Shyntlara Auvryndar too - a drow vampire matron mother from Ched Nasad and one of my favourites.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  11:41:29  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried serching for Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka, but it yielded no results. :(
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  12:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope we never see Vampires in FR or D&D in general as they are portrayed in the Twilight Saga (I know cause I'm married and need the brownie points by watching them with the wife ).

Anyways I was thinking of picking up the Vampiric Heritage feat for my Umbriri Netherese Swordmage character to add an extra element to him.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  12:23:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I tried serching for Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka, but it yielded no results. :(

See the Empires of the Shining Sea tome.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  13:16:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked into this subject before, from memory the most important vampires are

a psionic vampire lord of Veldorn

another vampire lord that rules one of the Pirate Isles, has over fifty very hungry servants and is in contact with the Twisted Rune

Saestra Karanok of Luthcheq, she moved to Erlkazar in 4e

there's one on the road near Hill's Edge and one former adventurer in Elversult

note that Cult of the Dragon always needs vampire blood for their dracolich rituals

in the Bandit Wastes there's a gang led by a gnome vampire priest

Daggerdale has a long tradition, I remember they were forced to stake their children

Larloch and Szass have a lot of vampire servants, Thay has vampire generals

ruins of Shoonach are filled with vampires

in Esmeltaran there's a festhall run by vampires

thieve's guild in Messemprar is run by a fat vampire

there's an undead group called the Midnight Men in the Stonelands

in Waterdeep there's the vampire lord Baron of Morlin and a vampire necromancer with a stolen spellbook in Skullport

Southkrypt Garden has vampire hill giants

I wonder if Shyressa and Nyressa Flass are somehow related.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  13:36:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some vamps can be found at Battle of the Bones, the Moonsea (especially near Phlan and Zhentil Keep), Westgate, and of course Candlekeep.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  13:37:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra, I would also like to know more about the "family of gold elf vampires in Cormanthyr." Where did you find this? and how much lore is written?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  13:45:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Creating vampire PCs are a tricky thing. This is espically true in regards to 3e/v3.5 as the Vampire template is just plain bad. I say this because I don't think any template deserves to receive a +8 LA?! If your not sure what LA is, it means level adjustment. So a +8 LA would make your 1st level human vampire fighter a ECL of 9. So you'd make Fighter 2 when the rest of your companions would reach 9th level *ugh*.

A more affordable way to go is either the Half-Vampire template found in the Libris Mortis: Book of the Undead OR you could gain the Bloodline traits found in the Unearthed Arcana supplement or on the d20srd web-site. I prefer the Half-Vampire since you receive some pretty awesome bonuses with only a +2 LA, which you can ask your DM to buy-off during your character advancement. The bloodline path isn't bad, but it ends up being a +3 LA if you go for the Strong bloodline traits.

As for 4E....

Well like Brian R. James suggested there's a few Dhampir bloodline feats you can take as well as a Blood Knight paragon path that I think works really well and its lots of fun to Role-Play.

Or if you wait a month or two more, you can get a better look at a total 30-level vampire class that's supposedly released inside the Heroes of Shadow supplement. I'm not totally sure how this class will work out (or even if it's actually in this book or not) but I'm intrigued to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  14:14:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone mention my name?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 04 Apr 2019 02:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  14:36:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a DM, I am against Vampiric characters because they limit what I can do. It's also extremely unfair to the rest of the party (they either have to only adventure at night, or have to split the sessions with you). Like being a Drow, it becomes an exercise in "this game is all about ME!", but much worse (then a Drow).

You can do whatever you want, so long as your DM allows it, but try to remember that the other players also want to have fun.

On the other hand, I have been involved in games of Masquerade, and if it is a Vampire campaign, then that's a whole 'nother story.

For awhile I was even the Primogen of the Nasferatu clan on the AOL community... weird bunch...

Edit: Somewhat neo-canon (which is even less canonical then psuedo-canon ). The village of Collinwood, on the Northern edge of the King's Forest in cormyr - is ruled by a vampire lord. The Royals, the Mage royal, and certain other specific individuals (including Elminster and several high-ranking Harpers) are aware of this, and he is considered a 'loyal servant of the crown'. He is one of Cormyr's 'secret weapons', and is only called upon rarely in times of dire need (his last 'mission' was to protect Eveningstar from monstrous attacks during the Death of the Dragon troubles). He has 50 special 'knights' (Helmed Horrors) of unknown origin kept with the crypts below his ancestral castle (which predates Cormyr itself, BTW). The village is tiny and until recently was almost entirely human, but most of the halflings of Gray Oaks relocated here during the ToT, and all of the inhabitants are fiercely loyal to their Earl (the only personage to ever hold such title in Cormyr - he is the equivalent of a Duke, which is normally reserved only for the three 'royal' families).

I consider this neo-canon because I created Collinwood and its history (which I had hoped to fully detail in an Candleeep Compendium article), so normally this would simply be homebrew, but since the village appeared on the 4e map of Cormyr, I have to assume my lore applies until over-written by an official source.

Make of it what you will.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Feb 2011 14:57:03
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  15:24:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As a DM, I am against Vampiric characters because they limit what I can do. It's also extremely unfair to the rest of the party (they either have to only adventure at night, or have to split the sessions with you). Like being a Drow, it becomes an exercise in "this game is all about ME!", but much worse (then a Drow).

I think as a DM, running a game with a Vampire PC would be more difficult, but that doesn't necessarily mean the campaign has to revolve around that particular PC, same goes for Drow Pcs as well. I would make it a requirement that the PC let the others (s)he's traveling with aware of their condiditon and act accordingly. With the half-vampire template or Vampire Bloodlines, the PC can act more under the radar and not derail the campaign because most Vampire Vulnerabilities aren't present. They still have to Blood Dependancy though and that will probably rear it's ugly head in the campaign as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  15:26:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Edit: Somewhat neo-canon (which is even less canonical then psuedo-canon ). The village of Collinwood, on the Northern edge of the King's Forest in cormyr - is ruled by a vampire lord. The Royals, the Mage royal, and certain other specific individuals (including Elminster and several high-ranking Harpers) are aware of this, and he is considered a 'loyal servant of the crown'. He is one of Cormyr's 'secret weapons', and is only called upon rarely in times of dire need (his last 'mission' was to protect Eveningstar from monstrous attacks during the Death of the Dragon troubles). He has 50 special 'knights' (Helmed Horrors) of unknown origin kept with the crypts below his ancestral castle (which predates Cormyr itself, BTW). The village is tiny and until recently was almost entirely human, but most of the halflings of Gray Oaks relocated here during the ToT, and all of the inhabitants are fiercely loyal to their Earl (the only personage to ever hold such title in Cormyr - he is the equivalent of a Duke, which is normally reserved only for the three 'royal' families).

I consider this neo-canon because I created Collinwood and its history (which I had hoped to fully detail in an Candleeep Compendium article), so normally this would simply be homebrew, but since the village appeared on the 4e map of Cormyr, I have to assume my lore applies until over-written by an official source.

Make of it what you will.

I like it. I'd like to know about how a vampire winds up in such a position!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000