Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Blood Dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  14:14:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, sages!

I've read some time ago about a "blood dragon" spell in the Grand History of the Realms and in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, and got curious about it. I searched in our forums and the only post I found also asked about the "lifedrain" spell, and while the sages answered the "lifedrain" questions, the "blood dragon" remained unanswered.

It seems the spell is somehow described in Elminster in Myth Drannor, but I don't have this book, and I'd really appreciate if someone could describe it, either in novel and in game terms. Edition is not a problem (I actually prefer it on 2e rules). Someone?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  15:13:48  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find the spell and its description in Dragon Annual #2...
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  18:30:55  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In EiMD, it's cast by a powerful Starym noble who was once the lover of Coronal Eltargrim; I'm going from memory here, but the spell did what you'd expect- she slit her wrists and as her life-blood gushed out, she turned into a large dragon made of blood. She was destroyed almost immediately, so we don't get to see her capabilities in that form.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  22:06:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Really? There's an elf in EiMD who cast that spell? Can't remember. But then again, it's been ages since I read that book. Also, my revulsion for the elves is clouding my memory.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 27 Jan 2011 09:11:43
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  22:30:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would that be the traitorous attack of lady Ildilyntra Starym against the Coronal, mentioned in Cormanthyr?

Thank you for the references, guys! I don't have the Dragon Annual, but I have a friend I think owns it...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 26 Jan 2011 22:32:28
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  15:00:34  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy to help. Give a shout if you need the info...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  03:43:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

Happy to help. Give a shout if you need the info...

Could you, please? It seems my friend doesn't have it...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  00:20:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and the Coronal buried her with full honor.
Should have kicked out the whole damned family
out in exile right then on the spot.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  14:50:48  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Yeah, and the Coronal buried her with full honor.
Should have kicked out the whole damned family
out in exile right then on the spot.

I always bear this whole scene in mind when I'm DMing elves (particularly the elves that 4E changed to Eladrin, which is a bit of lore that I LOVE and am using in my Realms); This (I think) is a great example of the fey blood showing its influence, and a great reminder that elves aren't 'humans in funny suits'.
Eltargrim *expected* the treachery, but still let her inside his ring of guards just on the off chance that she would do the right thing. And the love he bore her (even after he killed her) was so great that he did what he could to honor her memory; not something that most human monarchs would do, I think... actually, it sounds like something that Azoun would have done, but I digress .

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  15:51:00  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blood Dragon (Evocation/Necromancy) Level: 9
Range: 1 mile Components: S, M Duration: 6 rounds (after caster's death)
CT: 4 AoE: 1 target being Saving Throw: None

This deadly spell, shared among the elder Houses of Cormanthor, is very seldom used because it requires the death of the caster. Though it is sometimes called the Doom of the Purebloods, any true elf (not half-elven) can successfully cast it. It is usually employed as a doomed elf's revenge magic.
The material components of this spell are the life-blood of its caster and a piece of the tooth of any sort of dragon.
When the spell is cast, the dragon tooth must be brought into contact with some part of the fresh-flowing blood. It vanishes and unleashes the magic: a smoke-like eruption of streaming force that rises up above the dying caster with a roar.
The force takes the shape of a silent blood-red, glistening, wingless dragon with gore-dripping jaws. It may menace its intended target (spells cannot harm it and are absorbed by it without taking full effect), but can't actually strike until the caster dies (though beings who blunder into contact with it, or through it, will suffer its full effects at any time).
A blood dragon is set to attack a particular being, and will do so until the spell expires, blindly pursuing its target, but can harm all other beings it comes into contact with along the way.
It is actually a conjured cloud of corrosive venom that withers living flesh into a grey rotting mass. A blood dragon flows along surfaces (it can climb or descend cliffs, and cross water or fog as well as it can solid ground, but must always be in contact with a given surface) at MV 14, takes no falling damage, is AC -6, vanishes if dealt 77 hp damage, and "bites' once per round at THAC0 4.
In the first round of action, its bite deals 6d12 hp damage; in the second, 5d12; in the third, 4d12; in the fourth, 3d12; in the fifth, 2d12; and in the sixth, 1d12 hp damage.
Magical barriers (including mantles) of fifth level and above will halt a blood dragon temporarily; each "bite" it does disrupts 1d4+1 of the spell levels (or abilities) of such a barrier; when the barrier is reduced to zero, it ceases to exist and the blood dragon can freely attack. If the target being, or an item or being on the far side of such a barrier, bears the slightest trace of the shed blood of the caster of the blood dragon, the dragon can pass through the barrier as if it doesn't exist (neither barrier nor dragon affect each other in any way).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  18:10:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Source and page number, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  18:26:37  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

If the target being, or an item or being on the far side of such a barrier, bears the slightest trace of the shed blood of the caster of the blood dragon, the dragon can pass through the barrier as if it doesn't exist (neither barrier nor dragon affect each other in any way).
Whoa...I like that last part.

Reminds me of a scene in the movie Fight Club, when Tyler Durden jumps on the mafia guy and bleeds on him while begging him to let the club stay open. Talk about using your blood to make a point!

Would love to use something like this in a Realms campaign. An elven NPC uses a spell to rain his own blood down on a group of PCs taking cover behind a Wall of Force, then touches the dragon tooth to the wound that his first spell is drawing all his blood out of.

The Blood Dragon forms and flies right through that Wall of Force as though it were not there. The elf falls to the ground, dead from exsanguination.

Sweet!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  19:51:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, GRYPHON. It is in Dragon Magazine Annual #2, right? Which page, for reference?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  21:04:14  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Annual #2 (1997), page 92...
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  21:04:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might have been in cormanthyr, but not sure. Possibly in the Wizard's Spell Compendium.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  09:49:25  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, guys... But I have one more question. The spell description says its duration is 6 rounds. But it doesn't strike immediatly. Let's say the target started running while the elf is still dying... He runs for three rounds, before the dragon is "released" and the dragon, with a better move, reaches him two rounds later (at the 5th). The six rounds are running, and it will do only two rounds of (weaker) damage (the 5th and 6th)? Or maybe the damage will be in its 2nd round, counting only after its "release"? (This one seems the finest option, to me). Or would the six rounds start counting after the first bite?

PS: I've checked it out, and this spell is not in the "Wizard's Spell Compendium".

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 04 Feb 2011 13:50:21
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  16:20:43  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen it listed in any other sources, and I have quite a few...
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  05:21:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The spell is only described in the novel and the Dragon Annual.

It should be noted that casting this spell is a final act. Eltargrim tried to heal her but could not because of the blood dragon. This makes it likely the spell will never be seen in play.

I thought the passage was very well put together. Two powerful elves, lovers in their youth, who still love each other but each more powerfully bound by their duty: Eltargrim to his belief in the Opening, Ildilyntra to her belief that it would lead to their people's downfall. Her suicide and attempted regicide was an act of conscience and love for her people, not at all like the more cowardly attack later in the book by her kinsman. This is why she was buried with honor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000