Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Time Gates
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GazzaM
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  03:28:35  Show Profile  Visit GazzaM's Homepage Send GazzaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Howdy folks

The Arcane Age books mention several Time Gates, portals through which people can travel back in time. Does anyone have a list of where these Time Gates are ?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  04:28:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall a listing from the Wizards boards that compiled most of the time-gates referenced in the Realmslore. I'll see if I still have a copy in my archives.

In the meantime, and off the top of my head, I recall the isle of Lurath in the Sea of Fallen Stars, which is populated by dinosaurs, has sea caves in the cliffs of the isle that have "time-portals" which connect to the past of Toril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  04:29:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's the Portals in Time bunch from the "Perilous Gateways" series (it was, as I recall, one of the weaker offerings for that series).

Pretty sure that the Netheril boxed set lists at least a couple of locations...

The old Chronomancer book may list some locations, too, but I don't recall -- I've not read that book since it came out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  01:30:44  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spine of the world. Deep cave guarded by Ancient white dragon.

Novularond mountain range, Great Glacier. Shaved of
by a glacier. Buried deep in ice.

Vilhon Reach. City of Cedarsproke in Guthmere Forest. in a garden.
Inside Mount Andrus

Synnoria elven realm in Myrlock Vale in Moonshaes. Near Chrysalis.
Open arch at the end of a clouded, misty cave behind the eastern falls that feed Mirror Lake.

Edited by - althen artren on 30 Nov 2010 04:20:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  20:23:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umberlee's Fist is a mobile sea Timegate; that was probably included in Wooly's answer though (and the only one - aside from the one on the isle of Lurath - that I can think of off the top of my head).

I used Umberlee's Fist in my one CK article, to account for some lore snafus regarding the Utter East. Rather cleverly, if I do say so myself.

And in case none of you ever bother to 'do the math', the main character in that article fell through the portal in 1400 DR, The Year of Lost Ships. That was the 'Easter Egg' I had hidden in that piece.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  05:10:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Netheril Arcane Age this is the description.

Time Gates

There are time gates on Faerûn, but their locations remain a mystery. Ancient texts of Mystryl’s faith talk of three gates that were created either through accident or great fortune. While the time gates don’t require the material components, they otherwise work exactly like the time conduit spell, permitting time travel to any point in Faerûn’s past. Discovering the location of even one of these portals is an adventure in itself; adventurers
have looked so hard, for so long, and with nothing to show for it, that no one even tries anymore. The last recorded expedition is believed to have been in 404 DR.

The first passage that reveals a hint to a time gate’s location states that it “...lies hidden upon the back of the mountains, where the ice and rocks touch the summer sky of Amaunator’s belt.” This is actually a reference to an ancient constellation of Amaunator that appeared in the summer months over the Spine of the World. An adventuring party could still spend many months in the frozen wasteland of the Spine searching for the deep cave that holds the gate, however. The time gate also happens to be the home of an ancient white dragon (who’s greedy enough to allow adventurers to use the gate so long as they pay her something).

The second time gate is “...north of Novularond, shining bright upon Misken’s Peak at Highsummer.” While the
Novularond range has been searched repeatedly, adventurers have failed to find the time gate because Misken’s Peak was sheared off by the Great Glacier many centuries ago. The magical portal still exists, but it’s buried beneath hundreds of feet of ice as it’s slowly carried along within the glacier.

The final gateway is listed as existing at “..Andrio’s Peak near the garden of Eldath.” A scribe actually misspelled the original place name, which was Andrus, and the garden is a hint to the city of Cedarsproke in the Gulthmere forest of the Vilhon Reach. The time gate has survived inside Mt. Andrus despite several volcanic eruptions, shielded from the intense heat by Mystryl’s magic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000