Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Windsong Tower
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  22:35:15  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Anauroch: Empire of Shade, it mentions Windsong Tower extensively and provides maps for it. However, it indicates the Tower is in Myth Drannor.

I was under the impression the Tower "flew away" (like far too many towers do here and there) during the Weeping War and headed Northwest.

Did I miss something?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  00:02:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only the Tower itself flew away. The remainder of the rest fell to ruin during the Fall or afterward.

Note that the destruction of the extra-dimensional spaces and rooms and whatnot is unlikely--only their easiest and known physical access points.

Thus, if you know exactly how things were set up in days of yore, you could have the possible chance of accessing those hidden rooms and the treasures within them.

As it was, Steven Schend was being purposefully vague [as well as rushed on that deadline in time and cramped for space in words].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  03:24:49  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, but in anauroch it seems to be ... all there again.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  03:31:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Anauroch is only partially in Anauroch. You start the adventure off in Myth Drannor, then travel across a lot of the Realms (including Candlekeep) before finishing the adventure in Anauroch.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  15:21:47  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My confusion is that it seems the tower that left is back in myth drannor. Did I read it wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, this has been asked about before at GenCon, and Ed (creator of Windsong Tower, and writer of the original Myth Drannor boxed set) just smiled and said, "Yes, it certainly seems as if it's back, or perhaps in two places at once, doesn't it?"
Which sure suggests that there's something "set up" here, that's not yet revealed...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:50:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, remember, the entrances are (mostly) in Myth Drannor, but you actually dimensionally travel from the "outside" to the "inside"...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  19:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Actually, Anauroch is only partially in Anauroch. You start the adventure off in Myth Drannor, then travel across a lot of the Realms (including Candlekeep) before finishing the adventure in Anauroch.

Why it is then called Anauroch?

@ above: LOL.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  19:59:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because that's where the adventure climaxes.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  20:15:53  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm aware of the extra-dimensional nature of Windsong Tower. The indication in the adventure, however, is that there is all three buildings sitting where they used to on the map 800 years ago as of the 1380s. So, IF the tower got up and left 750 years ago, at some point someone had to either build a copy in Myth Drannor or put the old one back.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  05:30:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tower didn't get up and go anywhere. You are confusing it with the tower flown out of Myth Drannor by Mentor Wintercloak. The fate of Windsong Tower at the fall was never given any real detail.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  08:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The tower didn't get up and go anywhere. You are confusing it with the tower flown out of Myth Drannor by Mentor Wintercloak. The fate of Windsong Tower at the fall was never given any real detail.

-- George Krashos

So maybe it's time for it to be touched upon?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  15:17:32  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! I must've been tired, I really though I'd read two instances of towers leaving.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  03:41:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, on the card that comes in the Ruins of Myth Drannor box detailing out
the crypt of the Windsong tower, it does state that eyewitness say that the
tower did leave its pearch on the ground. Quote:

... or, some say, a might feat of magic tore it up out of the ground, and it rose into the sky like a Netherese skyship, whisking the surviving mages of the Tower to safety somewhere afar off "beyond the stars."

In multiple sources, there are multiple fates for the Windsong Tower. I happen to use the
one where the Tower flies away, and the elves put it back after 718 DR, after the last organized bits of the outsider army is defeated.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  14:37:27  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to know I wasn't completely going crazy. I've been keeping notes in onenote and I was dismayed to find out I didn't have a source written down for the tower also rocketing off.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  12:04:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

George, on the card that comes in the Ruins of Myth Drannor box detailing out
the crypt of the Windsong tower, it does state that eyewitness say that the
tower did leave its pearch on the ground. Quote:

... or, some say, a might feat of magic tore it up out of the ground, and it rose into the sky like a Netherese skyship, whisking the surviving mages of the Tower to safety somewhere afar off "beyond the stars."

In multiple sources, there are multiple fates for the Windsong Tower. I happen to use the
one where the Tower flies away, and the elves put it back after 718 DR, after the last organized bits of the outsider army is defeated.

I don't disagree with you other than to note that Steven Schend's treatment of Windsong Tower is far more definitive than Ed's mention of it in the RoMD boxed set. Given that the FoMD accessory details a few wizard towers flying off into the sky, from my perspective, it might be nice to have one important one that ... well ... didn't. But that is all very much IMHO and YMMV.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  22:18:35  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

My confusion is that it seems the tower that left is back in myth drannor. Did I read it wrong?

Reading "The School Today" on pp.10-11 of A:EoS, I found that it was easy to reconcile both stated events. Since Windsong Tower is actually a tower plus two tree-towers, when I ran this module, I figured that the main, central tower is the one that flew away while the other two tree-towers remained (leaving behind the illuminated platform-portal as described in both A:EoS and RoMD).

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  02:08:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bingo!
You've hit upon it. According to Ed, that's exactly what happened: the central tower flew away, leaving the two flanking tree-towers behind, with a platform between them.
Now, what I want to know is who devised this "flying towers" feature originally, and why. Or to put it another way, just what did these elven mages foresee?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  04:41:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Bingo!
You've hit upon it. According to Ed, that's exactly what happened: the central tower flew away, leaving the two flanking tree-towers behind, with a platform between them.
Now, what I want to know is who devised this "flying towers" feature originally, and why. Or to put it another way, just what did these elven mages foresee?
love,
THO

I'd wonder more about where it went.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  17:24:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Up.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  18:07:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Up.

-- George Krashos

Thank you, friend Krash, but responses like that are generally coming from me, not directed to me!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  21:36:08  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't the first one - the other school head northwest? And then obviously Windsong headed northwest if it ended up in the Anauroch ~ not sure why that wasn't on the no fly zone list. So, I'm guessing Evermeet or Silverymoon?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  00:08:13  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it wasn't a feature. Maybe it was just a spelljamming helm
addition, or a staff like Gamalon's in Blackstaff.

Also, I would think it would be easy to see that an elven city
might come under seige. Happened several times.
Ever more so, the high mages might have
looked at the power-mongering of the senior houses and thought
that having another way to keep more mystical knowledge out of their
hands would be a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  00:09:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy is FoMD is away, George. Do you remember
any other wizards towers flying away? I don't.
I will pour over it tonight when I get home.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  18:35:59  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mentor Wintercloak up and left with his in 682. That was the other one I was thinking of.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  23:49:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew that one, and that wasn't during the Weeping War. Thank you though.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  23:51:51  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So did anybody else notice that in Anaroch, Darcassen supposedly
sacrified himself to become the sentient defender/artifact of the
tower, and that he appeared as a mystic of note at the end of
Blackstaff during the High Moor cleansing.

Can't the departments at Wotc ever get together and compare
notes on products?
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  00:56:22  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Schend write both?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  00:25:14  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He wrote Blackstaff, I don't believe he contributed to Anauroch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000