Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why do Realms authors put up with it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arielis
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  19:16:11  Show Profile  Visit Arielis's Homepage Send Arielis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the fame for football players/movie stars/singers/etc probably also result in free drugs, booze, sex, and other free items.

I'm going to assume that Forgotten Realms authors don't get this 'benefit'. So I have to imagine that it would suck a little bit more to get those kind of twisted analysis being done on you without all the cool perks.

But at least you know that FR authors are really doing it because of the passion they feel!

'If you can't be good, be lucky!'
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  19:25:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yeah. My OP was more about pointing out that FR authors put up with a lot of rude accusations. While nobody attacks George Lucas with overanalyzed claims that lightsabers and wookies are phallic symbols representing his deepset Freudian sexual perversions, or that Yoda is his way of compensating for other deficiencies, etc.

Ed's sexual activities and preferences are just nobody else's business. Especially in the neutered PG-13 Forgotten Realms. I understand (intellectually) why people fixate on it. I don't understand why the authors really put up with it. (Although, perhaps in Ed's case it's a variation of "sex sells" or he just likes to brag or keep people off balance. Just speculation on my part.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  19:39:21  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Well, yeah. My OP was more about pointing out that FR authors put up with a lot of rude accusations. While nobody attacks George Lucas with overanalyzed claims that lightsabers and wookies are phallic symbols representing his deepset Freudian sexual perversions, or that Yoda is his way of compensating for other deficiencies, etc.

Oh sure they do, and it's just as bad:

http://famous-relationships.topsynergy.com/George_Lucas/

http://www.zeek.net/film_05063.shtml

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/154398/how_to_read_george_lucas_mind.html

quote:
Ed's sexual activities and preferences are just nobody else's business. Especially in the neutered PG-13 Forgotten Realms. I understand (intellectually) why people fixate on it. I don't understand why the authors really put up with it. (Although, perhaps in Ed's case it's a variation of "sex sells" or he just likes to brag or keep people off balance. Just speculation on my part.)

I agree, Ed's personal life is his own business.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 03 Jan 2011 19:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Arielis
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  20:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Arielis's Homepage Send Arielis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That second link was ridiculously hilarious!

@Arik

You're right. Sorry I went off topic. But without a doubt, I'd imagine that most of the authors don't really get much of a choice. They could choose to shut themselves away from their fans to avoid putting up with it, but then it's the fans that help keep their books successful.
I think it's a kind of symbiotic relationship.

'If you can't be good, be lucky!'
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  23:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it somewhat funny that we're using D&D/Realms based fan fiction as an example here. Since it is a shared universe or setting by definition there's more potential leeway for amateur authors because there has to be leeway for the gamers to do their thing. D&D based fan fiction actually falls in a nebulous grey area in the division between fanficcer and original writer, because the settings are designed with the intention of being open for fan modification.

That vast swaths of amateurs prefer to do certain things but not others in a shared universe is a different issue entirely.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.

Edited by - Lady Fellshot on 03 Jan 2011 23:33:34
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  00:01:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree, Fellshot. Fanfic authors are constrained by the requirement of maintaining comprehensive consistency in all setting elements, timelines, plots, etc. Even the most minor inconsistencies and errors tend to draw a lot of criticism, I'd suspect the editors catch most of these, but I wouldn't be surprised if D&D authors spend a lot of time consulting with each other, reading obsolete sourcebooks, and sneaking around the internet to help iron out all the trivial problems. Just speculating, since I don't actually know how Wizbro really operates.

I think it's not unreasonable to assume D&D geeks, especially the lifers, are prone to dissect every minute detail - partly to "extract" or explain the lore in D&D gaming terms, partly because it's the sort of semi-obsessive behaviour which characterizes the (ISTJ) personality types which tend to be most strongly attracted/attached to RPG "simulations". Geeks are fanatics, easily demonstrated by allowing one to expound endlessly upon his area of expertise.

I suppose many of the authors share these same geek/fanatic characteristics, thus explaining why they choose to continue writing FR instead of doing other stuff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  00:27:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arielis

That second link was ridiculously hilarious!

@Arik

You're right. Sorry I went off topic. But without a doubt, I'd imagine that most of the authors don't really get much of a choice. They could choose to shut themselves away from their fans to avoid putting up with it, but then it's the fans that help keep their books successful.
I think it's a kind of symbiotic relationship.

Indeed. As I mentioned, they have but little choice---that is, if they wish to continue doing their craft and get compensated for it.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 04 Jan 2011 00:28:11
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  02:01:17  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question Friend Eric,

Have any of your female fans tried to seduce you?

Maybe some are in it for the hot chicks!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  02:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I disagree, Fellshot. Fanfic authors are constrained by the requirement of maintaining comprehensive consistency in all setting elements, timelines, plots, etc.

Does this take into account fan scribbles that were once consistent with canon but had to adopt the AU tag because the canon changed on them? There are quite a few "Drizzt had kids with Catti" stories that came out well before that particular plot bunny was killed off in canon. Then there's all the stuff that suddenly changed with the Spellplague.

I think it's a little silly to denigrate non-insiders for not being able to see into the future, especially when one's canon seems to be pretty fluid at times. Or when something completely unexpected pops up.

quote:
Even the most minor inconsistencies and errors tend to draw a lot of criticism, I'd suspect the editors catch most of these, but I wouldn't be surprised if D&D authors spend a lot of time consulting with each other, reading obsolete sourcebooks, and sneaking around the internet to help iron out all the trivial problems. Just speculating, since I don't actually know how Wizbro really operates.

Those editors don't catch everything, I might note. A bunch of nitpicky geeks will. Or is there some doubt as to the geekiness of fanficcers that I don't know about?

I would hope that there's an effort by WotC to ensure at least setting consistency (if not narrative consistency) for everything put forth though.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  15:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Question Friend Eric,
Have any of your female fans tried to seduce you?
Maybe some are in it for the hot chicks!
Ha! That'd be the day.

Many of us authors are happily married, so I imagine it's not for the groupies. (Not that there's anything wrong with being a rock star, etc.)

I will say that I have consistently seen Ed signing ladies' body parts at GenCon and other conventions. Very amusing!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  16:07:25  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I will say that I have consistently seen Ed signing ladies' body parts at GenCon and other conventions. Very amusing!

Cheers

The man's a rock star. No doubt about it
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  16:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is more like Elminster than he wants to let on.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  17:55:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, no matter how "strange" relationships may be perceived in the Realms, Doctor's got them beat (well, if you mix reality and fiction ).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  00:36:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

No, he's not. And we really don't need to go through this again. I tend to believe Ed's own words on this faulty assumption, and that should be the end of it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  00:37:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

And, no matter how "strange" relationships may be perceived in the Realms, Doctor's got them beat (well, if you mix reality and fiction ).

The Doctor and his/a [Doctor's] daughter? Hehe... It's not that perverse when you're a Time Lord, I suppose.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  01:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

No, he's not. And we really don't need to go through this again. I tend to believe Ed's own words on this faulty assumption, and that should be the end of it.
My fault for inflaming the analog, I suppose, with the observation about signings. These are actually evidence of people making certain assumptions about Ed, and him being too gosh darn polite to correct them.

I for one know Ed fairly well--well enough to call him friend and email him when it's not pressing, just to make conversation--and while he does have a randy sense of humor sometimes, he is a class act and not at all a loveable, lecherous old goat. (Well, the loveable part, mayhap!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  01:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The Doctor and his/a [Doctor's] daughter? Hehe... It's not that perverse when you're a Time Lord, I suppose.

No, no no... Sage, that horrified screaming sound you hear in the background are the newly heartbroken fangirls giving voice to their grief.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000