Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  14:05:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Alystra: I think the haraun is probably more like their version of an alpenhorn.

That'd sort of be my take as well. Though I'm thinking the haraun might be more like the coiled alphorn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:18:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Hmm, the coils put me more in mind of an over-sized French horn or Sousaphone (but gnome-sized). Tuba was just hte first instrument of that type to spring to mind. Possibly a flugelhorn?(sp?) Well, complex horns, anyway, but without the keys or stops, perhaps more like a hunting horn but more complex.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:38:55  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks for Lothen lore.
Go to Top of Page

Erdrick Stormedge
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  20:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Erdrick Stormedge's Homepage Send Erdrick Stormedge a Private Message
High One, Sage Ed of the Greenwood, Loremaster most high, I beseech thee! Far hast I traveled, 'cross fierce mountains, low bogs and bitter moors. To Candlekeep, 'lo!, and therein queried her Loremasters... but to no avail!
So, I pray'thee Loremaster, oh finest of the fine Sage Ed of the Greenwood, release me from the burden of my quest, which 'twas a quest of Ages!
Answer my query, oh Sage-Lord, and know my grandest praise!

Did Mystryl, Goddess of Magic in the Age of the Arcance, in Old Netheril, know of her impending doom by the eldricht hand of Karsus the Fool?

Endless thanks and fountains of gratitude, mi'lord! May the sun never set on the Realms, and may you know sweet water and lite laughter evermore!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  22:10:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I seem to remember that was answered sometime last year. Sage might be able to find it for you. Right, Sage?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  23:29:03  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed has the river Styx ever been diverted into Faerun, if yes any info on how and when?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  00:30:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm, the coils put me more in mind of an over-sized French horn or Sousaphone (but gnome-sized). Tuba was just hte first instrument of that type to spring to mind. Possibly a flugelhorn?(sp?) Well, complex horns, anyway, but without the keys or stops, perhaps more like a hunting horn but more complex.

Hmmm. The sousaphone. That could work, or even the contrabass bugle, for example.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  00:31:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I seem to remember that was answered sometime last year. Sage might be able to find it for you. Right, Sage?

I'm not entirely sure, but I'll take a look.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  16:12:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
My last question , who are the Grand Druids in the Western Heartlands? Where are their circles? Do they ever meet to discuss threats to balance and where? Are the circles sometimes in conflict? Besides Chauntea, Eldath, Silvanus, and Mielikki, what about the Grand Druids of Talona, Talos, Malar etc., where are they, are they present on the council?

I found only Pheszeltan of Silvanus, who's a hierophant

What type of wood is considered sacred, weirwood?

Thanks, that is all
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  17:02:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Dear Hooded Lady,

I've opened a thread asking for information about Askavar, in the 1st of July, last year. Some people brought my question to Ed's thread, and the last response I read about it was this:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Keryn, Ed does (or did) have a short writeup of Askavar in his original (pre-TSR "published Realms") notes. I have no idea if he can find those two pages I once saw. Or if he's free to share them with us. However, he DID tell me he'd go looking, when I sent the original request to him. Nudging him doesn't help it "come back" any faster; Ed's own schedule (remember, he's easily as busy as ANY two full-time-employed entrepreneurs you might now, only without any staff or big salaries to smooth his daily operational way - - and he DID lose last Saturday to a wedding he was determined not to miss) plus Ed's legal obligations (NDAs) are what determine his response times.
So hang in there. Knowing Ed, I suspect we'll see something after his coming weekend, when he has a day free to really rummage in his boxes and files of old Realmslore.
love,
THO

It was posted in July 8, 2010. Was there any response about this matter after that? I've checked the remaining 50 pages of Ed's scroll in 2010 and these 9 of 2011, and the word "Askavar" wasn't there... Can you please help me, dear lady? (Please, I don't wanna rush him, but maybe the question was forgotten...)

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Jan 2011 17:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  17:57:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Dear Hooded Lady,

I've opened a thread asking for information about Askavar, in the 1st of July, last year. Some people brought my question to Ed's thread, and the last response I read about it was this:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Keryn, Ed does (or did) have a short writeup of Askavar in his original (pre-TSR "published Realms") notes. I have no idea if he can find those two pages I once saw. Or if he's free to share them with us. However, he DID tell me he'd go looking, when I sent the original request to him. Nudging him doesn't help it "come back" any faster; Ed's own schedule (remember, he's easily as busy as ANY two full-time-employed entrepreneurs you might now, only without any staff or big salaries to smooth his daily operational way - - and he DID lose last Saturday to a wedding he was determined not to miss) plus Ed's legal obligations (NDAs) are what determine his response times.
So hang in there. Knowing Ed, I suspect we'll see something after his coming weekend, when he has a day free to really rummage in his boxes and files of old Realmslore.
love,
THO

It was posted in July 8, 2010. Was there any response about this matter after that? I've checked the remaining 50 pages of Ed's scroll in 2010 and these 9 of 2011, and the word "Askavar" wasn't there... Can you please help me, dear lady? (Please, I don't wanna rush him, but maybe the question was forgotten...)

Ed is quite good about not forgetting questions. However, he's got hundreds (if not thousands!) of questions that we have asked him, and he quite often does not have the lore immediately at hand. Complicating the matter is an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs, Ed's numerous writing commitments, and his work and family commitments.

It may take years, but Ed will eventually get to your question -- even if only to say he can't answer because of NDAs.

I myself have had questions answered within hours, and others that went two years or more before getting answered. At least one response, I'd forgotten asking the question!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:55:20  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Ed is quite good about not forgetting questions. However, he's got hundreds (if not thousands!) of questions that we have asked him, and he quite often does not have the lore immediately at hand. Complicating the matter is an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs, Ed's numerous writing commitments, and his work and family commitments.

It may take years, but Ed will eventually get to your question -- even if only to say he can't answer because of NDAs.

I myself have had questions answered within hours, and others that went two years or more before getting answered. At least one response, I'd forgotten asking the question!

Well, thank you Wooly! So I'll wait!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  00:02:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, thank you Wooly! So I'll wait!

Indeed. As I've said many times before... there is largely no set schedule or order in which Ed answers questions. What he answers and when, depends almost entirely on his own commitments, and what's he's allowed to share.

Be patient. Ed will get to them all in time. Just, hopefully, not SageTime.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  01:19:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Just, hopefully, not SageTime.

On the contrary - if Ed will answer in SageTime, it means the man will live forever!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  14:12:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question for Ed, is there a description of the chronomancer somewhere in your notes?
and can it be shared if there is?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  05:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Be patient. Ed will get to them all in time. Just, hopefully, not SageTime.

For my last question, it's been over four years. I'm patiently waiting, though, because I know a number of others have been awaiting even longer! It's good, so long as I get an answer before either Ed or I shuffle off the mortal coil... :)

It's been a long time since I've posted, but I do read the forums at least once per month, and have enjoyed the lore Ed has provided -- particularly when it involves my favorite part of the Realms, Cormyr! I guess I'm just letting everyone know I'm still around, even if mostly silently! Just think of me as the guy sitting quietly in the shadowed corner...

Edited by - Jerryd on 30 Jan 2011 05:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  06:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:

<snip>Just think of me as the guy sitting quietly in the shadowed corner...

Mask? =)

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  10:14:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have a question for Ed, is there a description of the chronomancer somewhere in your notes?
and can it be shared if there is?

Sfdragon, are you asking about the chronomancer wizards, or about THE Chronomancer, a mage from Netheril? Cause the initial is not in capital letter, and maybe your question is about the character, not the class...

And yes, sages, I agree that searching for our answers is indeed a rich experience of Realmslore! Thank you all!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 31 Jan 2011 19:52:49
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  21:41:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
The Chronomancer Jeriah Chronus from Netheril...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  21:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Quick question for the Father of Faerūn:

Knowing that NDAs and what not exist, I'm hoping Ed can answer this question with a simple yes/no and not violate anything.

Will we learn the fates of all of the Seven Sisters in Bury Elminster Deep?

Thanks,

Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  22:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I was out walking earlier today and, as often happens, random thoughts were flowing through my head. One of them that I grabbed and held onto was the idea of Chosen of Mystryl. I know someone asked about them years ago and got a "nice catch, can't say more" from Ed. Since it has been some number of years (4? 5? More than a few, at least), I thought I'd check in and see if Ed can shed any more light on the Chosen of Mystryl.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  22:25:09  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Wasn't Karsus one? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  00:55:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I don't recall seeing that one anywhere... If he was, then she chose... poorly.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  01:10:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I don't think that would've been from an official source.

Additional thought on this:- you might possibly be confusing it with the speculation about Larloch and Mystryl, and the unique relationship they share?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  02:58:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed just sent me an e-mail, that included these replies:

To Azuth, re. what we may or may not learn in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP: Nope.

and to Hoondatha, re. the Chosen of Mystryl: Not yet. Sorry. I'm working on this.

. . . more in a few days, if Ed survives the major winter storm heading his way (my way, too). ;}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  05:44:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Maybe in one of those speculations-fraught threads.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  05:48:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One. . . more in a few days, if Ed survives the major winter storm heading his way (my way, too). ;}
love to all,
THO

Guess you'd better find someone warm to snuggle up with then

...egads! I'm offered to give someone a christmas spanking and doesn't respond until over a month later. I'm really out of practice.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  12:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hi Ed and THO. I recently handed out some recipes to my players in my campaign that I got from some Volo's guides (the ones for Roasted Cockatrice, Stag Sausage and Dragon soup I think). Anyways, I was wondering if Ed has a more comprehensive list of exotic and/or regular recipes for the realms? Are there any famously penned cookbooks? Region specifics? Also, anything with accompanying faerunian wine recommendations? (speaking of which, what kind of wine would go well with roasted cockatrice??)

edit: iPhone

Hi Ed and THO, if its not too late to add to this question in regards to the wines.

Do Faerunians make different wines from different grape varieties, or is it just whatever grape happens to grow in the region and they just call the grape by its color (and thus the wine simply by the region)? So are there sub-types of wines, say for example, does Cormyr have its own Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, etc... and subsequently, Calimshan as another example having its own styles for the same grape varieties due to its differing climate?

Again thanks for all the juicy lore!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:19:37  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hi Ed and THO, if its not too late to add to this question in regards to the wines.

Do Faerunians make different wines from different grape varieties, or is it just whatever grape happens to grow in the region and they just call the grape by its color (and thus the wine simply by the region)? So are there sub-types of wines, say for example, does Cormyr have its own Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, etc... and subsequently, Calimshan as another example having its own styles for the same grape varieties due to its differing climate?

Again thanks for all the juicy lore!

I asked Ed much the same question in 2009; If you care to look it up, he (and THO)gave a rather thorough answer, if not, I have it saved on my home compy and I will PM it to you tomorrow.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 01 Feb 2011 23:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  01:48:03  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
A parcel of questions for Ed, if her Hooded Goodness would be so kind. Vhaeraun may be dead in the 4e Realms, but he is very much alive in mine. That said:

1. Did Ed create Vhaeraun? If not, whom should I ask?

2. How would the Masked Lord manifest a sign of his favor to his faithful? How would he indicate his displeasure?

3. Has it ever been firmly established that Vhaeraun is not the same entity worshipped as Mask?

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000