Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  02:35:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I can answer your first query, Vangelor:-

Vhaeraun was indeed an Ed Greenwood creation, from FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:45:11  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
Thank you kindly, Sage. I thought I recalled reading that, in an old Realmslore answer regarding Eilistraee, but could not track it dowm.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:48:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
As for #3, I would say Lady Penitent (IIRC - I never read it) puts a firm 'impossible' on that one. However, the gods being what they are, and knowing Ed's take on them, I suppose it's still possible (although HIGHLY improbable given the events of that series).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  04:23:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

2. How would the Masked Lord manifest a sign of his favor to his faithful? How would he indicate his displeasure?

Demihuman Deities would answer this one.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:22:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Thank you kindly, Sage. I thought I recalled reading that, in an old Realmslore answer regarding Eilistraee, but could not track it dowm.

It's also something Ed has talked about previously here at Candlekeep. [Though not in any "Questions for Ed Greenwood" scroll, as I recall. 'Twas another discussion about the origins of the drow pantheon.]

Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:37:19  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message
Speaking of Vhaeraun. I just wondered what a male drow from the underdark will generaly choose:Eilistraee or Vhaeraun as his patron diety? Like I understand Eilistraee promise peace and redemption but at the same time serving her doesn't bring much power to drow male, Vhaeraun gives power to drow males but he is an evil diety . Just thought that majority of drow females go to Eilistraee and drow males to Vhaeraun.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  11:36:01  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
Since Eilistraee is dead I don't think there a much people choosing her as a diety nowadays

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 02 Feb 2011 11:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  11:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hi Ed and THO, if its not too late to add to this question in regards to the wines.

Do Faerunians make different wines from different grape varieties, or is it just whatever grape happens to grow in the region and they just call the grape by its color (and thus the wine simply by the region)? So are there sub-types of wines, say for example, does Cormyr have its own Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, etc... and subsequently, Calimshan as another example having its own styles for the same grape varieties due to its differing climate?

Again thanks for all the juicy lore!

I asked Ed much the same question in 2009; If you care to look it up, he (and THO)gave a rather thorough answer, if not, I have it saved on my home compy and I will PM it to you tomorrow.

Feel free to PM away KOG. Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  23:09:49  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Hello and well met THO and Ed... The supreme master of ALL lore on the face of Toril and any other sphere of exsistence... in the entire multivers!!!

Now... to my qestion for the Master himself: If you (Ed) were to create a chosen template, like Chosen of Mystra but for The Seldarine, say Corellion or a more generel elven pantheon chosen Template, how would that look like??? Uhh... and this is 3.0/3.5 rules!!

Thanks againg for the awesome world that you have created

Your fellow gamer

Nicola

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 02 Feb 2011 23:10:42
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  00:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
THO -

"Nope" as in "I can't tell you" or "Nope" as in, "No, you won't find the answer to your question in Bury Elminster Deep."

The clarity is much appreciated!

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Ed just sent me an e-mail, that included these replies:

To Azuth, re. what we may or may not learn in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP: Nope.

and to Hoondatha, re. the Chosen of Mystryl: Not yet. Sorry. I'm working on this.

. . . more in a few days, if Ed survives the major winter storm heading his way (my way, too). ;}
love to all,
THO

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  01:45:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Azuth, I can't be sure of precise prose details in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Even Ed can't be sure of them right now, being as it's in copyediting or still has to be copyedited.
He can't legally tell you what's in the book. Yet he CAN tell you what isn't. So, no, you won't find the answer to your question (the fates of the Seven Sisters) in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Ed does hint that you "may be a trifle wiser about such matters" by the end of it.
No, neither he nor I will further define "trifle" for you. Yet.
After August of 2011, however . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
XOXO THO

Azuth

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Azuth, I can't be sure of precise prose details in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Even Ed can't be sure of them right now, being as it's in copyediting or still has to be copyedited.
He can't legally tell you what's in the book. Yet he CAN tell you what isn't. So, no, you won't find the answer to your question (the fates of the Seven Sisters) in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Ed does hint that you "may be a trifle wiser about such matters" by the end of it.
No, neither he nor I will further define "trifle" for you. Yet.
After August of 2011, however . . .
love,
THO

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:08:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Hello and well met THO and Ed... The supreme master of ALL lore on the face of Toril and any other sphere of exsistence... in the entire multivers!!!

Now... to my qestion for the Master himself: If you (Ed) were to create a chosen template, like Chosen of Mystra but for The Seldarine, say Corellion or a more generel elven pantheon chosen Template, how would that look like??? Uhh... and this is 3.0/3.5 rules!!

Thanks againg for the awesome world that you have created

Your fellow gamer

Nicola

Keep in mind Ed is more of a lore person, and doesn't use 3.x rules in his home campaign.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:31:56  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Well I know he's wimsicle in that lorish way... but since im interested in how h would personally go by such buisness, well then thats what im gonna ask. And hopefully He or you THO can answer my question.

And just to set something strait. Im not lokking for any "canon" lore on Chosen of the Seldarine, but merely a personal idea or hedding!!!

So again... im hoping for a reply!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:41:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Well I know he's wimsicle in that lorish way... but since im interested in how h would personally go by such buisness, well then thats what im gonna ask. And hopefully He or you THO can answer my question.

And just to set something strait. Im not lokking for any "canon" lore on Chosen of the Seldarine, but merely a personal idea or hedding!!!

So again... im hoping for a reply!

While I'm sure he will undoubtedly reply, I feel it's important to repeat what Wooly said above, about Ed and the rules he uses for his home Realms campaigns.

As such, this may hamper/delay his response to some degree. So please be patient.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:48:48  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Ofc... I know that it might be months or years... and ofc ill be patiant. Nor would I ever "hurry the man. I was just trying to explain my question a little better, since I got the feeling that the reply from THO was it, perhaps due to NDA. Uhmm... I might be rambling.

Hope I get my message trhough!
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  11:56:13  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I was going through some old Dragon magazines and I re-read Ed's 'Ecology of the Leucrotta' in Dragon #91. The name 'leucrotta' I don't think is very Realmsian and I would like to ask Ed or Lady Hooded if the creature has a different name in the Realms? Does it have different names to loremasters and ordinary folk?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  20:43:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

I was going through some old Dragon magazines and I re-read Ed's 'Ecology of the Leucrotta' in Dragon #91. The name 'leucrotta' I don't think is very Realmsian and I would like to ask Ed or Lady Hooded if the creature has a different name in the Realms? Does it have different names to loremasters and ordinary folk?

Changesteeds spring to mind though I have a feeling that relates to Greater Leucrotto's.

Great question arry Leucrotto lore is always welcome

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  01:30:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Mr_Miscellany, Ed has authorized me to furnish you with the following temporary partial answer, to "do you" until he furnishes a real one:

Q: "The process that kept the Lords Who Sleep in stasis…was that the only place like that created by Cormyr in the past?"

A: No.

Q: "Is it possible there are ones and twos of Cormyrean heroes (or villains or unfortunate nobodies) not yet written about in sourcebooks or novels who’ve been put in stasis, as part of that particular process or as part of past experiment(s) aimed at perfecting the stasis effect?"

A: Yes.

There you go. I'm a veritable font of information.
All scribes, there'll be more lore as soon as Ed can send it,
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  04:12:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Ed created the Faerūnian pantheon of powers. A few of the powers were foreign imports, while a few others were stylized variants of foreign powers with emphasis on different aspects. No doubt Ed had access to the Deities & Demigods/Legends & Lore books (like everyone else), though (unlike most DMs of the era) Ed had the guts to build an entire "balanced" pantheon from scratch, and (unless I'm mistaken) he was also open to mythological and pagan influences outside of D&D lore. A number of (apparently) non-Ed changes have been made over the years as the gods and goddesses have evolved a bit and shuffled their ranks about. But it's fairly evident that the Faerūnian powers were chiefly fabricated entirely through Ed's efforts (and perhaps also those of his players). Thanx Ed(etal), btw, the implications and antics of the not-all-that-lofty Faerūnians have held my interest for years.
A minor question here — has Ed squirreled away some (up til now) "lost and forgotten" gods he'd like to share?

But my real question — has Ed done the same thing with monsters? There are obviously innumerable monsters, or variations of monsters, which are (or were) unique to the Realms. My *suspicion* is that most of these "new" beasties were created by other authors. My *assumption* is that Ed was somewhat content with simply pulling creatures out of his Monster Manuals as needed, more interested in adapting or exploring the societies and ecologies of existing monsters than in inventing entirely new ones. Can anybody list some Ed-made monsters? Or at least some favourites? (A comprehensive list is not required, lol. I'm really more curious about the "mind of the monster maker".)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Feb 2011 04:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  05:06:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Oy gevalt!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  06:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Pardon my brief tangent as I'll get to my question for Ed momentarily, but I must agree that the marvelous Faerūnian Pantheon is was has held my interest in the Realms, nay, perhaps solidified it beyond reason in some ways. The almost-limitless possibilities of the Pantheon for play is enthralling. IMHO, the possibility for different characters to be of the same (or different) classes while worshipping the same (or different) deities is what makes the Realms so special. An evil Wizard who worships Mystra and a good priest who worships Azuth, for example, make for a marvelous duo in a gaming group.

Thus, my question for the Father of Faerūn:

Ed: If someone held you down and tickled your foot until you answered, which is your favorite deity in the pantheon, and if you might shed a little bit on the why, I'd be interested.

Cheers to all,

Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Ed created the Faerūnian pantheon of powers. A few of the powers were foreign imports, while a few others were stylized variants of foreign powers with emphasis on different aspects. No doubt Ed had access to the Deities & Demigods/Legends & Lore books (like everyone else), though (unlike most DMs of the era) Ed had the guts to build an entire "balanced" pantheon from scratch, and (unless I'm mistaken) he was also open to mythological and pagan influences outside of D&D lore. A number of (apparently) non-Ed changes have been made over the years as the gods and goddesses have evolved a bit and shuffled their ranks about. But it's fairly evident that the Faerūnian powers were chiefly fabricated entirely through Ed's efforts (and perhaps also those of his players). Thanx Ed(etal), btw, the implications and antics of the not-all-that-lofty Faerūnians have held my interest for years.
A minor question here — has Ed squirreled away some (up til now) "lost and forgotten" gods he'd like to share?

But my real question — has Ed done the same thing with monsters? There are obviously innumerable monsters, or variations of monsters, which are (or were) unique to the Realms. My *suspicion* is that most of these "new" beasties were created by other authors. My *assumption* is that Ed was somewhat content with simply pulling creatures out of his Monster Manuals as needed, more interested in adapting or exploring the societies and ecologies of existing monsters than in inventing entirely new ones. Can anybody list some Ed-made monsters? Or at least some favourites? (A comprehensive list is not required, lol. I'm really more curious about the "mind of the monster maker".)

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  08:29:28  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Can Ed tell us something about Ioulaum instead? For example some insight what he has been up to in all those years as an eldar brain, if he has (ilithid) servitors etc?

Any chance to get some info on this topic?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  12:19:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Moonshae Isles. Any news on if more will come about this area, or is it NDA?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  18:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Arik, Ed created the Faerunian pantheon LONG before DDG/L&L were written. He MODIFIED it to include deities from them, and to match what Gary Gygax revealed of "official" elementals, et al because that's what gamers writing for DRAGON in those days did: tried to build on what was "official."
Ed also created so many monsters (and added so much to existing monsters with his Ecologies DRAGON articles, like the name "gulguthra") for the Realms (and other TSR games and game settings) that for a time he got the nickname "the Monster Man." The Carwling Claw, Curst, and the Gauth are Ed's, and the Fang Dragon and Deep Dragon, just to name the first five that came into my head. I think, at last count, he had added over 80 (yes, eighty) monsters to the game, not to mention another dozen or so to Golarion, a bunch for his own Castlemourn, and a few dozen more scattered throughout computer games, the STAR FRONTIERS game, Zobeck/Midgard, and so on...
(He of course created hundreds of magic items and hundreds of spells, too. Not to mention artifacts, rituals, and gods. Years ago, at GenCon, some of us played a trivia game [highest points for the highest total of created elements (monsters, rules, magic items, spells)], and I was ASTONISHED at Ed's totals.
If Gary was the father of D&D, Ed was its detailer. :}
So, no, Arik, your suspicion about most monsters being done by others and Ed being content to draw on the MONSTER MANUAL would be wrong. All of us old-timers SAW the ongoing flood of Ed's monsters coming out in DRAGON and elsewhere, from weirdos like the Wingless Wonder and Lythlyx to real classic deployables...
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 04 Feb 2011 18:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  19:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Yeah, I think it's too often forgotten (and happens more and more as younger gamers join the hobby, for whom it's all "ancient history" rather than something they were reading along for) that Ed's Realms predates the D&D game.
BA
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  19:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
I know I state the obvious, but I believe that the existence of this thread and these forums demonstrate Ed's part of D&D better than any other type of testimonial ever could. I know this: I wouldn't have started playing D&D w/o the Realms. I never liked Dragonlance, or any of the other worlds, really.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  00:12:39  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Speaking of monsters, Ed you said some years back that Skindancers existed in faerun, my question now is do half-dragon/fiendish ones exist and more importantly, do vampiric ones exist, would undead state in any way interfere or negate a living skindancers abilities?
Go to Top of Page

Deathspawned
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  00:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Deathspawned's Homepage Send Deathspawned a Private Message
while rereading "war in tethyr"(the nobles book 2)i came across the character "chenowyn" who is said to be full human and also full(gem)dragon?This was an experiment by an amethyst dragon named nyadnar that made a ruby dragon?
I know that Ed didn't write this book(it was Victor Milan)but my question is:Is this how "ruby dragons"came to be?and are other "gem dragons"made the same way or is it a case by case kind of thing?I think if anyone would know it would be Ed(as alot of his books have characters in them that are or are hinted at to be dragons in human form hiding(for lack of a better word)in cities.And as the father of the realms he may be the one to have created this possability for the author.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:04:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Deathspawned, Ed certainly put a lot of dragons living among humans (in human or other half-human form), into the Realms. Yet many good dragons could do this in the original 1st Edition rules, though Ed created weredragons (3e: song dragons), steel dragons, and some other draconic types that were added to the official game rules during the 2e days, that could take on human form.
However, Ed didn't ever meet, contact, or directly influence Victor Milan, and gem dragons aren't Ed's creation. They first appeared in a long-ago DRAGON magazine article by another freelancer, and fans of them among the staff designers have been sneaking various versions of them into various editions of D&D ever since.

Oh, and Blueblade: I think your 80-monster total in your reply to Arik is rather low.

Arik, I can tell you that we (Ed's players) had very little creative input into the deities of the Realms (Ed got there first), though those of us with cleric and druid and ranger characters did roleplay (with Ed as DM) a lot of internal "life in the clergy" stuff.
Yes, there are "place spirits," fading and nigh forgotten gods, and even a few "mainliner" gods of the Realms that never made it into the rules.
There are also more than a few Realms monsters that never made it into print, and a few (like the Cinammon Dragon) that got mentioned, but never more than mentioned. Ed created well over a hundred of the game's official monsters, and developed/expanded (usually in the form of "Ecology" articles) scores more.
Some of Ed's favorites among his creations include the Curst, the Crawling Claws, the Wingless Wonder, Weredragons, Watchghosts, Death Tyrant beholders, Elder Orb beholders, Gauth beholders, Deathkiss beholders, Eyeball beholders, Darktentacles, Tressym, flying snakes (the Deathfang and Flying Fang), the Steel Shadow, the Sharn, the Phaerimm, the Tomb Tapper (Thaalud), the Helmed Horror, the Dread, the Alhoon (Illithilich), the Dracolich, the Tentacled Torment, the Flameskull, and the Deepspawn.
These are those I know, just off the top of my head, that Ed has a fondness for; he can probably add more.
But he created more official magic items for D&D than monsters, and more spells than magic items.
In fact, if you stripped away Ed's additions to the game, you'd be astonished at how much would disappear. Yes, later designers have revamped Ed's creations, so there are lots of sourcebooks that don't have Ed's name on the covers or credits, that rework (or even use newly created) Ed-lore, that someone not familiar with the inside story of how this or that book got written wouldn't realize.

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2011 03:08:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000