Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  16:17:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I'd like to pick up an answer by Ed from Dec. 18th on shrines in Suzail. I was wondering what the shrines in Arabel might look like. Are those listed in the source book 'Cormyr' also "upstairs" or "downcellar" in buildings that have other uses [shops, usually] on their ground floors.

I imagined them to be more representative/prominent than just an upstairs or downcellar room, esp. those on Thalonders Ride, that being the shrines to Chauntea, Helm, Denier and Tempus.

Are there any further shrines in Arabel not listed in the book or shown on the Arabel map?

And while we are at it, has this chapel to Chauntea ever been build outside of Arabel?

Thank you for your answer,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  18:13:03  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
A rather morbid series of questions I'm afraid. In Cormyr what crimes are capital and what is the usual method of execution? Are the executions public and what is the common attitude to them? Are they seen as entertainment as used to the case in the UK at least?
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  07:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
I have a couple of questions related to both Cormyrean royal families and, I suppose, "reality" as a whole. Specifically, the extermination/destruction type of event.

Has the royal family of Cormyr (or other persons of authority, though I would expect such an order would have to come from the very top) ever seen it as a necessity to, for lack of a better term, exterminate a noble house of any kind? Does such precedent exist?

There is of course the Cormaeril issue, but there are still living scions of the family at least up to a year or two after the incident itself, still active in Cormyr at that. Presumably, this means that if it was decided upon at some point in the future, the noble family itself could be "resurrected" by the Crown (possibly/probably through the War Wizards, as I imagine Vangey would keep an eye on such individuals) tracking down the requisite heirs and returning them.

However, is there such a situation when even this hasn't been enough, and the entire family, down to the last infant child, the last aging elder, even the last in-law or bastard scion has had to be killed? If so, how would it be done? Would the War Wizards be used as executioners leading Purple Dragons as backup (i.e. delivering the justice of the Crown), or would it be quietly outsourced to the, ahem, elements of society who excel at that sort of work?

As a tangent question, does this sort of thing ever happen with areas of Cormyr (as in, the need to destroy everything inside a certain area) and/or other nations as well? The Drow obviously engage in it, for one, though they usually "adopt" children of the destroyed house rather than completely exterminating it.

Additionally on the "destroy an entire area" point, I have a few other questions regarding planar breaches and the way to close them (and I apologise if they sound a bit metaphysical at times). I am briefly reminded of a scene in one of the Feist novels, where because of a potential incursion from another plane of reality it becomes necessary to effectively level an entire area of mountainside right down into the ground, just to erase any presence of that reality and keep it from returning. When such things happen in Faerun, what is the common response?

In Elminster in Hell, there were two such occurrences that I recall, one of which was Elminster having to sew up the rift that was allowing planar leakage, and the other was when Mystra appeared in Avernus and yet her presence caused rifts to open into Torilian space (which she had to seal behind her as she left), likely a result of her employing her power in a place where there would be a conflict (and I think I still have a few questions on the pile about how regular silver fire would react in such a state, and whether the presence of Chosen on another plane can cause similar - though likely much smaller in scale - problems given time). Elminster's thoughts as he was closing the first rift seemed to imply that such breaches do occur from time to time, but not often. Is there some sort of particular requirement for them to form beyond the employment of powerful magic that presumably rends and twists the Weave into funky wrongness? Can they just "happen" at random or do certain conditions have to be met? Or can something done many hundreds (or thousands) of years ago have a residual effect (like many deaths happening in a single spot leaving a kind of magical "echo", or vast exchanges of magical force creating a twisted snarl of Weave energy that persists until/unless somebody comes along and manages to untwist it) on the place in the present?

In relation to the Far Realm in particular, there were the questions on the Wands family and the attention they have drawn from that plane (or "place"), yet with their presence being alien to reality, does this make these "beings" easier to sense? Or less easy? Do they leave a trail, like a footprint or a smudge that could develop into a full-blown breach given time just from some sort of "weight" that they have? The presence of a divinity seems to by its very nature imbue some sort of "energy" (likely divine energy) into the area around it, so can this happen on a smaller scale?

Lastly, when such a breach is healed, is it (or the area) more susceptible to being broken open again? Sort of like a wound that you've slapped a band-aid on has already had the chance of being "infected" and thus could cause more trouble in the future, unless a kind of sterilisation is applied (like eradicating whatever caused the breach).

I've recently been on a bit of a binge in regards to the nuts and bolts of how this stuff works in the Realms, and haven't yet found the answers I'm looking for in the sourcebooks/novels I have. Any answers you could give (to either the metaphysical or the more down-to-earth Cormyrean stuff) would be much appreciated.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  09:15:42  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed can you think of any reason why the elves cast a King Killer Shield over the Serpent Hills? If you do know a reason would you be able (legally) to share it with us?

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Edited by - Snowblood on 26 Jan 2011 09:21:25
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2387 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  13:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Alystra: I think the haraun is probably more like their version of an alpenhorn.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  14:05:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Alystra: I think the haraun is probably more like their version of an alpenhorn.

That'd sort of be my take as well. Though I'm thinking the haraun might be more like the coiled alphorn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:18:59  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Hmm, the coils put me more in mind of an over-sized French horn or Sousaphone (but gnome-sized). Tuba was just hte first instrument of that type to spring to mind. Possibly a flugelhorn?(sp?) Well, complex horns, anyway, but without the keys or stops, perhaps more like a hunting horn but more complex.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:38:55  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks for Lothen lore.
Go to Top of Page

Erdrick Stormedge
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  20:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Erdrick Stormedge's Homepage Send Erdrick Stormedge a Private Message
High One, Sage Ed of the Greenwood, Loremaster most high, I beseech thee! Far hast I traveled, 'cross fierce mountains, low bogs and bitter moors. To Candlekeep, 'lo!, and therein queried her Loremasters... but to no avail!
So, I pray'thee Loremaster, oh finest of the fine Sage Ed of the Greenwood, release me from the burden of my quest, which 'twas a quest of Ages!
Answer my query, oh Sage-Lord, and know my grandest praise!

Did Mystryl, Goddess of Magic in the Age of the Arcance, in Old Netheril, know of her impending doom by the eldricht hand of Karsus the Fool?

Endless thanks and fountains of gratitude, mi'lord! May the sun never set on the Realms, and may you know sweet water and lite laughter evermore!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  22:10:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I seem to remember that was answered sometime last year. Sage might be able to find it for you. Right, Sage?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  23:29:03  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed has the river Styx ever been diverted into Faerun, if yes any info on how and when?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm, the coils put me more in mind of an over-sized French horn or Sousaphone (but gnome-sized). Tuba was just hte first instrument of that type to spring to mind. Possibly a flugelhorn?(sp?) Well, complex horns, anyway, but without the keys or stops, perhaps more like a hunting horn but more complex.

Hmmm. The sousaphone. That could work, or even the contrabass bugle, for example.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  00:31:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I seem to remember that was answered sometime last year. Sage might be able to find it for you. Right, Sage?

I'm not entirely sure, but I'll take a look.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1755 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  16:12:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
My last question , who are the Grand Druids in the Western Heartlands? Where are their circles? Do they ever meet to discuss threats to balance and where? Are the circles sometimes in conflict? Besides Chauntea, Eldath, Silvanus, and Mielikki, what about the Grand Druids of Talona, Talos, Malar etc., where are they, are they present on the council?

I found only Pheszeltan of Silvanus, who's a hierophant

What type of wood is considered sacred, weirwood?

Thanks, that is all
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  17:02:00  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
Dear Hooded Lady,

I've opened a thread asking for information about Askavar, in the 1st of July, last year. Some people brought my question to Ed's thread, and the last response I read about it was this:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Keryn, Ed does (or did) have a short writeup of Askavar in his original (pre-TSR "published Realms") notes. I have no idea if he can find those two pages I once saw. Or if he's free to share them with us. However, he DID tell me he'd go looking, when I sent the original request to him. Nudging him doesn't help it "come back" any faster; Ed's own schedule (remember, he's easily as busy as ANY two full-time-employed entrepreneurs you might now, only without any staff or big salaries to smooth his daily operational way - - and he DID lose last Saturday to a wedding he was determined not to miss) plus Ed's legal obligations (NDAs) are what determine his response times.
So hang in there. Knowing Ed, I suspect we'll see something after his coming weekend, when he has a day free to really rummage in his boxes and files of old Realmslore.
love,
THO

It was posted in July 8, 2010. Was there any response about this matter after that? I've checked the remaining 50 pages of Ed's scroll in 2010 and these 9 of 2011, and the word "Askavar" wasn't there... Can you please help me, dear lady? (Please, I don't wanna rush him, but maybe the question was forgotten...)

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Jan 2011 17:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29786 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  17:57:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Dear Hooded Lady,

I've opened a thread asking for information about Askavar, in the 1st of July, last year. Some people brought my question to Ed's thread, and the last response I read about it was this:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Keryn, Ed does (or did) have a short writeup of Askavar in his original (pre-TSR "published Realms") notes. I have no idea if he can find those two pages I once saw. Or if he's free to share them with us. However, he DID tell me he'd go looking, when I sent the original request to him. Nudging him doesn't help it "come back" any faster; Ed's own schedule (remember, he's easily as busy as ANY two full-time-employed entrepreneurs you might now, only without any staff or big salaries to smooth his daily operational way - - and he DID lose last Saturday to a wedding he was determined not to miss) plus Ed's legal obligations (NDAs) are what determine his response times.
So hang in there. Knowing Ed, I suspect we'll see something after his coming weekend, when he has a day free to really rummage in his boxes and files of old Realmslore.
love,
THO

It was posted in July 8, 2010. Was there any response about this matter after that? I've checked the remaining 50 pages of Ed's scroll in 2010 and these 9 of 2011, and the word "Askavar" wasn't there... Can you please help me, dear lady? (Please, I don't wanna rush him, but maybe the question was forgotten...)

Ed is quite good about not forgetting questions. However, he's got hundreds (if not thousands!) of questions that we have asked him, and he quite often does not have the lore immediately at hand. Complicating the matter is an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs, Ed's numerous writing commitments, and his work and family commitments.

It may take years, but Ed will eventually get to your question -- even if only to say he can't answer because of NDAs.

I myself have had questions answered within hours, and others that went two years or more before getting answered. At least one response, I'd forgotten asking the question!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:55:20  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Ed is quite good about not forgetting questions. However, he's got hundreds (if not thousands!) of questions that we have asked him, and he quite often does not have the lore immediately at hand. Complicating the matter is an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs, Ed's numerous writing commitments, and his work and family commitments.

It may take years, but Ed will eventually get to your question -- even if only to say he can't answer because of NDAs.

I myself have had questions answered within hours, and others that went two years or more before getting answered. At least one response, I'd forgotten asking the question!

Well, thank you Wooly! So I'll wait!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  00:02:27  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, thank you Wooly! So I'll wait!

Indeed. As I've said many times before... there is largely no set schedule or order in which Ed answers questions. What he answers and when, depends almost entirely on his own commitments, and what's he's allowed to share.

Be patient. Ed will get to them all in time. Just, hopefully, not SageTime.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  01:19:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Just, hopefully, not SageTime.

On the contrary - if Ed will answer in SageTime, it means the man will live forever!

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1969 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  14:12:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question for Ed, is there a description of the chronomancer somewhere in your notes?
and can it be shared if there is?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  05:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Be patient. Ed will get to them all in time. Just, hopefully, not SageTime.

For my last question, it's been over four years. I'm patiently waiting, though, because I know a number of others have been awaiting even longer! It's good, so long as I get an answer before either Ed or I shuffle off the mortal coil... :)

It's been a long time since I've posted, but I do read the forums at least once per month, and have enjoyed the lore Ed has provided -- particularly when it involves my favorite part of the Realms, Cormyr! I guess I'm just letting everyone know I'm still around, even if mostly silently! Just think of me as the guy sitting quietly in the shadowed corner...

Edited by - Jerryd on 30 Jan 2011 05:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  06:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:

<snip>Just think of me as the guy sitting quietly in the shadowed corner...

Mask? =)

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  10:14:23  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have a question for Ed, is there a description of the chronomancer somewhere in your notes?
and can it be shared if there is?

Sfdragon, are you asking about the chronomancer wizards, or about THE Chronomancer, a mage from Netheril? Cause the initial is not in capital letter, and maybe your question is about the character, not the class...

And yes, sages, I agree that searching for our answers is indeed a rich experience of Realmslore! Thank you all!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 31 Jan 2011 19:52:49
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1969 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  21:41:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
The Chronomancer Jeriah Chronus from Netheril...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  21:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Quick question for the Father of Faerūn:

Knowing that NDAs and what not exist, I'm hoping Ed can answer this question with a simple yes/no and not violate anything.

Will we learn the fates of all of the Seven Sisters in Bury Elminster Deep?

Thanks,

Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000