Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  15:22:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Damian, Ed says this:

Hi, Damian. That particular Company fiasco was due not just to the faulty wording used to get them there, but to a pre-existing enchantment on the bar that they were utterly unaware of (i.e. the result won't "transfer and apply" to other individuals and other bars or solid intervening objects). :}

So saith Ed. Nuff said.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  15:30:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello AGAIN, scribes!
I bring you the words of Ed in response to Eldacar's most recent queries.
Here we go . . .

"Given the issues with chronomancy, do time dragons exist in any great number within the Realms?"

No.

"Additionally, have they been studied in any great number by particular archmages for their abilities, assuming that anybody has actually gotten access to them for study purposes?"

Not in any great number. A few time dragons have been studied in passing to investigate the (bad) effects of their proximity to gates, mythals, wards, and certain other longterm enchantments. They tend to make such enchantments unstable, and trigger certain built-in reactions within the magics to events/situations that haven't in fact occurred. This is unintentional on the part of the time dragons, not something done deliberately. Time dragons seem to shun the Realms, for as yet unknown reasons.

"Second, relating to the Scourge of Shadowdale adventure path (in which Sylune "canonically" so-to-speak passes on, though I'm planning to change that in my own campaign if/when I get up to that point), she bestows a gift upon the player characters of a small amount of non-replenishing silver fire that they can use (cast a spell unaffected by an antimagic field/dead magic zone or immediately heal the user of several afflictions) three times in their lives before it's used up...Am I right in guessing that other Chosen of Mystra would also be able to employ the silver fire in such a fashion either on themselves (except without a 3-use limit, since they're the source of it and could if nothing else just "bestow the blessing on themselves") or as a blessing in the same fashion as Sylune does for the PCs in that adventure path?"

Yes, indeed.

"So, for example, Elminster could do the same thing for another group of PCs, or the Simbul, or Khelben, or Laeral, or really any Chosen of Mystra past and present?"

Theoretically any Chosen could do so, but they have to be sufficient versed in the use of the silver fire to know how to, and there have been Chosen who weren't. (All of those you name here could of course do so swiftly and with ease.)

"If this is true, are there other times (assuming no NDAs are in place) when the Chosen have done this, either to a group of adventurers they're looking to point in the direction of something they need done, to a friend, a lover, or anything to that effect?"

Yes. More than a few times. NDAs apply. :}

So saith Ed. Verrrry interesting . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  19:11:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
or other impac), no sonic boom or other loud noise, no discharge of energy, no wounding of the teleporter. Doesn't work on discrete solids (like solid rock)

Unless of course there is a certain group of adventurers involved, into a certain tavern, into a certain bar

Its still one of my favourite snippets of Realmsplay history

Cheers

Damian

Ditto! I've long loved that random tidbit.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  22:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I must have missed the tidbit then. Can someone share the obviously wacky hijinks?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  00:13:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Not in any great number. A few time dragons have been studied in passing to investigate the (bad) effects of their proximity to gates, mythals, wards, and certain other longterm enchantments. They tend to make such enchantments unstable, and trigger certain built-in reactions within the magics to events/situations that haven't in fact occurred. This is unintentional on the part of the time dragons, not something done deliberately. Time dragons seem to shun the Realms, for as yet unknown reasons.
I wonder whether Chronepsis [Null] would know the reasons for this.

Hmmm. I smell a ripe potential plot-hook for adventure!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  01:05:54  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
Many thanks for the speedy replies, milady and Ed, as always.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  03:57:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I must have missed the tidbit then. Can someone share the obviously wacky hijinks?

The Company of Crazed Venturers accidentally teleported into the bar in the Inn of the Dripping Dagger. It's mentioned in the write-up of that Inn in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep -- specifically, page 114.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  06:03:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The Company of Crazed Venturers accidentally teleported into the bar in the Inn of the Dripping Dagger. It's mentioned in the write-up of that Inn in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep -- specifically, page 114.

And I recall a few mystery tidbits from Ed on the topic, previously, as well. Back in 2006 or 2007.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  07:09:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

When will see a novel featuring Larloch as the central character? Hope NDA won't prevent you from giving a rough estimate.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  17:20:12  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Damian, Ed says this:

Hi, Damian. That particular Company fiasco was due not just to the faulty wording used to get them there, but to a pre-existing enchantment on the bar that they were utterly unaware of (i.e. the result won't "transfer and apply" to other individuals and other bars or solid intervening objects). :}

So saith Ed. Nuff said.
love,
THO

A-ha as ever the answer provokes yet another question

Was the dweomer on the bar 'shattered' when the Crazed Venturers shattered the bar, if so any after effects that you can disclose?

Also did the Company ever dare to use another wish to get them out of trouble, or was it lesson learnt

Thanks

Damian
ps I hear that OSRcon is a goer for 2012, will you be attending again?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 07 Dec 2011 17:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  19:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, bit of a followup question to the idea of many hidden players behind the scenes possibly/probably pulling strings of those we actually see "onstage" if you want to call it that. Given that Elminster has always seemed to play the checks and balances game around the realms a lot more than others (such as allowing many great evils to continue existing to be buffers against one another), would it be safe to assume he knows the identities of those that are hinted at working behind the scenes? Either just through discovery on his own or having them revealed to him by Mystra? I would assume in many ways he IS one of those who meddles behind the scenes maybe even through other identities (much like his daughters playing the role of Hesperdan).

Also, I was curious if he was aware for awhile what future plans Mystra might have for Manshoon that she states at the end of BED? Perhaps his decisions to never actually kill off all of Manshoon's clones and his manipulation of Manshoon in Ed's story in Realms of the Dead were his ways of keeping Manshoon around and on the path they needed him to be on?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  03:31:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I've just received an e-mail from Ed that reads in part:

Dennis, Wizards controls who "stars" or features in Realms novels, not me. And NDAs certainly apply to the content of future Realms fiction. I can say, as I've said recently here before, that Larloch has been discussed among Realms creatives, this year - - but that's about all I can say, I'm afraid.

Damian, the dweomer on the bar was shattered, but has since been replaced by others. The Crazed Venturers have used wishes on three later occasions, but only once in haste - - and boy, did they go over the wording like frantic lawyers, before casting! :} As for OSRCon, I've just been invited again this year (I'm not sure if Chris has publicly announced his special guest for 2012, yet, so I won't spill), but can't confirm yet because I need to get time off confirmed by my employer (the Port Hope library) before I can make any promises. Fellow scribes, OSRCon is a small, pleasant convention held in the depths of the coolest sf library in the world (also has fantasy!).

Merrith, Elminster is indeed a behind-the-scenes meddler, and has uncovered many others (though by no means all). Almost always he discovers things on his own rather than via Mystra (that's not her way).
As for not killing off all of Manshoon's clones (and, yes, his manipulations in that story of mine you cite), that was indeed at Mystra's behest, to keep Manshoon around. El operates under many such guidelines and restrictions, that we seldom know about. (When you're playing a very longterm game, it's in no one's interest to permanently remove useful pieces from the board when they can be manipulated off to the side, to see use again later.)

So saith Ed. Who has been VERY busy these last few weeks, and continues to be so, spinning new fantasy goodness for us all on a wide range of fronts . . .
Sigh. Such a Renaissance man. If he wasn't happily married . . .
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  04:05:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Dennis, Wizards controls who "stars" ...
I love it when my mind makes unusual connections from my disjointed readings.

For example, I read the above quoted portion as "Wizards who control stars ... "

That's such a cool concept for me to explore through my Realmspace workings.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Dec 2011 04:06:19
Go to Top of Page

Aeron Nancet
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  04:10:42  Show Profile Send Aeron Nancet a Private Message
I do not know if this has been answered or even asked, as I am new to the astounding writings of Sage Greenwood currently only three-quarters through Making of a Mage (though a bit of a follower of a certain Drow Elf Fighter/Ranger) and even newer to these forums, but I was wondering about Elminster's to change into Elmara.

The first time it was done was when he agreed to worship Mystra and she teleported him to the High Forest and changed him into Elmara to protect him and teach him to see the world from a woman's eyes, and reportedly she turned him into Elmara again even after 'she' (Elmara) used the spell from Ander to return to being male permanently. I can only assume that Elmara regained his form as Elminster later, but can Elminster change back to Elmara at will via a spell such as Alter Self and would he if he were to take a female student, as he was first learning when he was a woman?

May the Grace of the Valar Protect You
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  10:37:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Damian, the dweomer on the bar was shattered, but has since been replaced by others. The Crazed Venturers have used wishes on three later occasions, but only once in haste - - and boy, did they go over the wording like frantic lawyers, before casting! :} As for OSRCon, I've just been invited again this year (I'm not sure if Chris has publicly announced his special guest for 2012, yet, so I won't spill), but can't confirm yet because I need to get time off confirmed by my employer (the Port Hope library) before I can make any promises. Fellow scribes, OSRCon is a small, pleasant convention held in the depths of the coolest sf library in the world (also has fantasy!).

Thanks Ed for the response, its always pleasant as a DM to see the paranoia and fear set in when players start to say "I wish....."

I think the beans are already spilled re OSRcon - its Ken St. Andre creator of Tunnels & Trolls, so best get booking your tickets folks

Cheers

Damian

ps http://osrcon.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/osrcon-2012-august-10th-11th/

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  14:06:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Is there "racial discrimination" among deities? Do "pure blood" deities look down on ascended mortals?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2011 :  16:26:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you the latest from Ed...

Indeed, Damian: Ken St. Andre. Warning to all: this is a tiny convention, essentially held in two rooms, which means attendance is limited. So contact Chris, who runs OSRCon, and be sure to register. As the name suggests, it's "old school" gaming. (The link Damian provided has a slideshow that among other things shows the front entrance of the library that hosts OSRCon in its basement. The top floor of that library is home to the Merril Collection, probably the best public library collection of fantasy and sf in the WORLD, and the staff are ALL delightful people and experts.)

Dennis, re. the gods: again, discrimination is an individual matter: SOME deities look down on all other deities, or most other deities; a few look down on recently-ascended "newbies" (to use a real-world term). However, this can't properly be termed "racial" discrimination, because it's an individual thing, not a racial thing.

Aeron Nancet, Elminster can indeed take female form more or less at will (though not during the dire straits we see him in, in the years leading up to and through ELMINSTER MUST DIE! and BURY ELMINSTER DEEP) by the use of various spells. He might or might not wear feminine shape while training (or for part of the time while training) a female apprentice; that depends on what he deems best for "training and tempering" her.
El doesn't hesitate to "go she," but does so mainly to escape being identified or to set particular individuals at ease. (He's not vain, and so isn't trying to escape his own familiar wrinkles by altering his shape.)

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on ANOTHER mysterious Realms project intended to delight us all . . .

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  04:10:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
first, happy holidays to all, and i hope everyone's new year is shaping up to be great!

second, i apologize if this has already been explored... i haven't found it and a query over in Sages of Realmslore has gotten no replies, so...

Dear Ed

concerning Netheril...

1. am i correct in observing that Monikar used to sit and fester right where Shadowdale village now (3e/1365) stands proudly? it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Twisted Tower was built where the temple of Kozah once stood.

2. am i also correct in understanding that the people of Monikar were among the most successful (not dismissing Dagger's Point) in deflecting the wrath of the phaerimm, by working with them for the bane of the arcanists? more pointedly, that certain individuals in Monikar might have accumulated more firsthand lore regarding the phaerimm than most/any other humans up to that point... or since?

3. would it be reasonable to assume that Elminster was aware of the truth regarding (1) and (2) when choosing Shadowdale as a place to ...uh... do his version of "semi-retiring" for a while? he kinda sucks at retiring, if that was his real intent, but perhaps we could not pass on that i said that.

3a. is there something besides drow under Shadowdale that needs to be contained/hidden --or maybe preserved? or perhaps is that thing responsible for pulling the drow to the surface, specifically in the neighborhood of the Twisted Tower? is he keeping something in Shadowdale, or keeping someone else out?

3b. is it prudent to suspect that there's a lingering spirit or "psychic residue" in, under, or around Shadowdale? i'm not so much suspecting a phaerimm presence, but rather the whiff of past communications; information which exists, quite possibly, nowhere else, and which someone with the right skills and tools could glean in the manner of that awesome 2e psionic power that i can't fully remember (not object reading, but seeing the past) for the purpose of understanding/defeating the phaerimm as the sharn spells erode and the Realms begins facing a new menace. (assuming that the events of the Archwizards trilogy haven't entered the campaign yet, or won't)

i may of course be reading way too much into it, but it seems like something has caused not only Elminster but Storm and Sylune and at various points other adventurers to all congregate here as opposed to other more interesting locales. not that drow pouring out of the crags onto your farm or into your root cellar isn't interesting in a certain light...

orrrr... am i barking up the wrong tree, and Elminster's interest in Shadowdale lies only in keeping the Zhentarim from using that road to more easily flank and overrun all of the dales? and perhaps to make them (and the drow) a little more circumspect about invading Myth Drannor and/or discovering the more hidden elven holds.

i have the distinct feeling that i'm forgetting relevant older lore. i apologize for having too much stuff in my head.

and thank you THO, for being most patient.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Dennis, Wizards controls who "stars" ...
I love it when my mind makes unusual connections from my disjointed readings.

For example, I read the above quoted portion as "Wizards who control stars ... "

my brain did the same thing, for the first few seconds. and a few minutes ago I typo'd Baldur's Date and a plotline started up in my head.

i've also been occasionally typing Elmonster instead of Elminster ever since that one Dragon article.

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 12 Dec 2011 04:12:03
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  13:53:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks Ed and THO for the swift reply.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  17:17:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome, Dennis.

xaeyruudh, your questions have been sent off to Ed (who even busier than usual, right now), but I can make a start to answering some of your queries.

3. Elminster's "retirement" was always a wry fiction. A signal to be misinterpreted so he can take advantage of what certain ne'er-do-wells do, in light of his "retirement."

3a. Elminster settled in Shadowdale for a variety of reasons, not all of them as yet revealed. One was to bolster Storm's and Syluné's attempt to "hold" Shadowdale against Zhent expansionism, one was to hamper the drow in their restless attempts to conquer Shadowdale as a surface outpost rather than just a surface trade link through Grimstead, and one was to guard the Celestial Stair from the likes of Manshoon - - but there are others we Knights are still trying to identify. El isn't helping.

3b. Yes, there definitely is. Again, we're still investigating (which leads me to the strong suspicion that Ed won't be telling you much, yet) just what it is, but... (and is "legend lore" what you were thinking of?).

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  19:42:34  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Remember also mention of a divine breech in the Weave
or a divine magic dead area the artifacts in his
tower assist to hedge out, and Mystra told him to.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  20:00:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
thank you THO.

legend lore could be an easier solution, but as usual i was overthinking it. it was a psionic power... several psionicists were required, like circle magic, if i remember right, and the power was called something like metaconcert. my take on it was sorta like an astral projection into the past, focused enough that the specific words of a longago conversation might be heard. not actual time travel and you couldn't interact with anything while projected, but anyway. i assume Elminster has spells which similarly allow him to eavesdrop on the past... so seeing Monikar on the Netheril map just sent me on a wild trip.

i was forgetting the celestial stair; that explains much. and he's a pushover when it comes to the Sisters' desires. what a softie.

thanks again!

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  20:32:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Psionic powers like psychometry and dream travel might serve as well as legend lore spells for this application, no real need for the coordinated efforts of a powerful group. The hand of time writes and cannot erase, it's an open book for anyone who knows how to read it.

Erudite mages like Elminster would likely have some knowledge of chronomantic magic which of course grants some ability to scry or travel through time. And of course Elminster is one of Mystra's Chosen, so he has access to all sorts of vague and wondrous powers which can be used to police history.

A better question might be whether wards against scrying and transport would function for all of time; that is, will securities against divination block attempts at augury and prophecies in their past, will they block legend lore readings in their future? Obviously a proof against teleportation spell will eventually expire and a building constructed with gorgon's blood mortar will eventually collapse, yet so long as these things stand in effect they'll operate as intended ... but the question is whether the wearer of an amulet of proof against detection and location will be "invisible" to historian-mages of the future?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Dec 2011 20:36:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  21:22:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ayirk, I seem to recall Gary Gygax ruling on this one, years and years ago: the amulet would prevail against viewers "elsewhen" in time, though an informed observer could go looking for such an amulet being "put on" for the first time, and follow up suspicious events, to guess at where the hidden one went, and what they did.
But of course, off to Ed your query goes...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  21:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I track down and collect Ed's work whenever I can, and 2011 is almost over now, so...

Is FORESHADOWS: THE GHOSTS OF ZERO out yet?
Is THE GOLD GUIDE TO COMPETITIVE GAMING out yet?
IS THE NEW HERO, Volume 1 (I think that's the title: Robin Laws-edited Stone Skin anthology) out yet?

And are there any other non-WotC, non-Paizo 2011 and 2012 short stories and game work Ed's allowed to talk about yet?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  03:19:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Blueblade, I don't think any of those three have been released yet, though I know the first two are both available for pre-order.
I also know of at least two projects Ed is involved in (that will appear, or in one case START to appear, next year) that Ed has either finished or finished some parts of, and at least two others that he's been invited to participate in (plus, of course, the next anthology he's doing with Gabrielle Harbowy). At least one of those projects should be very interesting to Realms fans.
However, I don't think Ed can talk about any of them, yet. That's just the nature of the beast. I'll send your query on to Ed, of course, to see what he can share...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  07:09:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Upon its creation, did you base the phaerimm on some mythical or real creature? If so, what creature is it?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  17:25:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dennis, I bring you these words, from Ed:

No, the Phaerimm weren't based on any real or mythical creature. Their SHAPE was based on the shape of some flowers in my garden (I'm a farmer and gardener); I was tending plants circa 1979 or so, and thought, "Now if this blossom could fly, with this part forward to be a huge biting maw, and I added arms and hands to wield magic items and the intellect to do so...hmm..."

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and a surprising number of the monsters now used by many in their D&D games.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  17:29:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Interesting, Ed. And again, thanks.

Are there other creatures you created which you based on flowers?

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  17:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hmmm. I think you're using the term "based on" more widely than most North Americans do. The shape of a critter is what first catches the eye, but the detailed ecologies (worked-out-detailed lives) of monsters is what sets the best beasties (for example, most of Ed's) apart from the rest.
Just my two coppers.
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000