Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2011 :  02:44:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Hoondatha - First, if it were that easy, big-guns like Larloch, the Shades, Halaster, Iouon, etc, etc.... would have tried this long ago, along with such groups as the Red Wizards, Elves, Zhents, the Twisted Rune, the Kraken Society, etc, etc...

What would be the point of all these groups/personages sending adventurers to go and find 'lost relics' of the past, if they could just go back and get them?

Your second proposal sounds like a decent solution - you can't bring things forward in-time (they would instantly gain all that age and crumble) - but you could theoretically hide them and dig them up later. This presents a new problem - if someone else stumbles across your cache first, you just changed history... maybe dramatically. This is something many gods and groups would not allow, so if you did find such goodies missing, then it was probably removed (and put back?) by those same 'Watchers'.

And now this gives me a very intriguing idea behind Candlekeep.

Question: Ed, who was Filfaril's mother, and how old was she when she had Filfaril? Does Filfaril have any siblings?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Dec 2011 02:47:01
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  04:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
Hello Ed, had a question you may have answered before but reading through some old lorebooks of mine I was curious about something regarding the Nether Scrolls that Netheril had. I know one set was stolen by the elves, and that a few scrolls of the remaining set were stolen by SOMEONE.

I was curious if that someone still is alive (or better said, still exists) currently in the Realms. If it's not NDA'd I'd love to know who it was, but I'm guessing that will be NDA.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  22:27:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Unfortunately, we are working with two different versions of 'now' these days, so if we do get a brief answer (which I doubt, because its probably buried beneath several NDAs), then we would still not be sure as to which 'now' Ed would be referring to.

Although, if he answered 'Yes' in the current 4e time, then we could assume they were also alive in the 1e/2e/3e time-frame (unless something REALLY weird occurred). If he says they were alive in the time of his Realms, then that doesn't mean much, because that period is over with, officially. I would imagine having or being near the Nether scrolls during the Spellplague's intial assault would have been hazardous to one's health... maybe... with the random chaos all bets are off.

And also consider the word 'Alive' - the most likely people to have them aren't alive, and haven't been for some time... but that doesn't stop them from being active NPCs.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  00:20:01  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Ed, first of all thank you for answering our questions. I can think of some worldbuilders of fantasy and sci-fi settings who are as greedy and haughty with their knowledge as a High Netherese archmage, and I've always been glad to find you aren't one of them.

Now, as for a human adventurer from a small village in the Heartlands (pre-Spellplague), maybe to make it more specific somewhere in Cormyr; what contact, if any, would they have had with the various races and sub-races of Faerun, before they set out on adventure (ignoring any complications such a person would have with getting a charter, that is)? Would elves seem unbelievably exotic to them, or merely highly memorable? Would they recoil in open disgust upon seeing a half-orc, or would they already know about those unfortunates? Would they even know of Planetouched at all?

Edited by - Eladrinstar on 03 Dec 2011 00:21:35
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  15:52:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring words from Ed of the Greenwood, this time to Eladrinstar:

You're very welcome. I love talking and sharing about the Realms, and only wish I had more time to do so. I can't comment on other fantasy writers, other than to say we're all different, and that variety is what gives us the full richness of fiction and art available to all. (So I think of it as the price that must be paid.)

A human "pre-adventuring-travels" adventurer from a small village in Cormyr, pre-Spellplague, might not have spoken to anyone non-human, if they weren't bold enough to approach them (at the roadside or in shops by day, or at taverns, eateries and inns of an evening), but they would certainly have often seen dwarves and elves (plenty of whom travel with caravans, trading), and probably had halflings, gnomes, and half-elves as neighbours. Perhaps even a half-orc or two (and in the remote northern, eastern, or western verges of the realm, they might well have seen orc or goblin raiders from a distance). So elves they really spoke to would be highly memorable, but not more. No, they'd not recoil in open disgust upon seeing a half-orc, but they would probably have a good stare (and then covertly watch out of the corners of their eyes, "just in case").
They would have heard rumors and "temple talk" (sermons and replies of priests to various local questioners) about Planetouched, but the truth and comprehensiveness of such information would vary widely with the faith and individual priest. So they might well have incomplete/slanted "knowledge" of what a Planetouched is.
BTW, although there is certainly racism (and snobbery, and class distinctions, and rivalry from place to place [even with Cormyr, which has intense rivalries between Marsember and Suzail, and Arabel and Suzail, and Marsember and Arabel, and "upcountry" and "the Coast" (south), and urban versus rural]) in the Realms, it's different than in our real world thanks to daily contact between races and the existence of various half-breeds; people grow up "knowing more" about other races and thus having less "fear of the unknown" about them. ("Detestion of the known" certainly still exists, of course.) Just as religion in the Realms, with everybody "believing in" an array of gods that many have seen avatars and/or manifestations of, tends to differ from real-world monotheistic "take on faith" situations.
This doesn't mean, BTW, that our starting-out adventurer wouldn't be gullible enough to believe misinformation about half-orcs and Planetouched and even dwarves and elves. But it DOES mean that he or she wouldn't be awed or frightened by the mere sight of a "different" individual. (And halflings and gnomes dwell and work everywhere as shopkeepers and craftworkers, throughout Cormyr.)

So saith Ed. Who loves to serve up Realmslore whenever he gets the chance!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  15:58:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. And he'd already done so, in my inbox before his reply to Eladrinstar, and I missed it!
These, from Ed of the Greenwood to Merrith and Markustay:

Merrith, I'm afraid Markustay has the right of it: NDAs apply right now. I WILL get back to you, probably in about a month, when events behind the scenes have moved along a bit to allow me to say more (or perhaps not; we'll see).

Markustay, there is a brand new shiny NDA about Filfaeril and her kin right now. As with Merrith's request, I'll get back to you. (Though I'm still pushing for the Lineage, that our own Garen Thal has worked so hard on, to get officially published, and that of course would go a long way to answering your queries. I have long had plans for a Filfaeril-related tale up my sleeve, but...we'll just have to see. I crafted the Realms to offer thousands of tales, and unfortunately there's never time to tell them all...)

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work right now on something that should some day delight long-term Realms fans, he tells me.
Such a tease, our Bearded One.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:23:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I know.

Your FIRST Realms story revolves around her - it looks suspiciously like a preface for a novel.

There's something there... I just haven't figured out all the details yet (even though you've given more then your fair share of hints). I really want to ask you another question, but I just know it will be NDA, and might reveal a bit too much... I worked with a magician for awhile RW, and its considered very bad form to reveal any secrets. Azoun used to be my favorite FR character, but I think Filfaeril might be taking his place; there are many deep layers there which Azoun didn't have.

Someday I may have to corner you at a convention.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2011 16:24:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  17:23:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And this, from Ed:

That would be a pleasure, Markustay.
Yes, if the wordcount and style of Realms novels ever permitted, I would LOVE to do a sprawling, Court-intrigue-centered book with Queen Fee as the protagonist (with the scope and tone of Kay, MZB, Brust, or Martin). Failing that, one or two short stories to show us some of her depths. (Her Harper connections, her relationships with Dove and Storm and other "important to us Realms viewers" NPCs, etc.)
Alas, right now my platter is FULL. And if given a choice between telling a big Fee tale or a big Mirt story...I'd have to choose Mirt first.
Sigh.

So saith Ed, who's in the noisy depths of a Christmas library Open House as I post this.
And yes, if you're near Port Hope, that means at 3 pm Eastern this afternoon you can heard him read a new Christmas tale, in his string of annual new Christmas stories.
love to all,
THO
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  18:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
Much appreciated Ed and THO I was pretty sure it was going to smash against some big NDA's.
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  20:23:35  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Thank you Ed, for your knowledge! (And you too, THO.)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  22:10:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a simple question about the Symbol. nothing but an oppinion seker here

if she was ever to have a 4e write up, would she still be a sorcerer or would she have the multi class feat for wizard so that she would qualify for the witch queen epic destiny in the heroes of the feywild??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  02:01:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
sfdragon, Ed saith:

WHAM! BIG NDA on that one. Sorry.
(Of course, in earlier game editions, The Simbul was a wizard.)

So that's probably all Ed's going to say for now. Silence, plus a hint. Oh, well...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  07:35:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
and the sorcerer didnt exist...... I wish it still didnt.... hates it even in 4e. but atleast its not a carbon copy of the wizard like it was in the previous 3.x.....

anyway pass my thanks to Ed for the answer ...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  16:10:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Are the gods (except those who were formerly mortals) asexual or pansexual?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  01:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Are the gods (except those who were formerly mortals) asexual or pansexual?

I'll tag onto this with a more general question: as immortal powers, do they actually engage in sexual activities (as we understand them) with one another?

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  03:11:24  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
So, reading many of Ed's works, I'm struck by how often arcane magic is described as blue-white. Is this significant? Or is it merely an aesthetic choice workers of the Art make, when they craft their spells? Do some spells not even emit visible radiation?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  14:51:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

A question of this nature has been asked in a certain thread, but it's race-specific. So...

Which race is on top of the food chain in Toril? Dragons? Aboleths? Phaerimm? Kraken?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  15:47:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest replies from Ed of the Greenwood:

Dennis and Azuth,
The gods of the Realms are all (and have always been) sexual beings, because I created the Realms that way, though the needs of TSR and later Wizards (Code of Ethics/Code of Conduct, "appropriate for target audiences," et al) have often led to this being downplayed, not mentioned, or obfuscated in the published Realms.
Life and creation are essentially sexual acts, and all of the deities of the Realms are potentially pansexual but in practice tend to cleave to one gender or another - - and "have sex" very seldom (when doing so with other deities, there are obvious issues of safety for self [attack from other deities when vulnerable], and ongoing implications [offspring/power loss]). Sex for deities may involve the physical (and shapeshifting), but is primarily an energy melding and transfer ("mingling of divine fire") and involves intense sensations of pleasure for the participants. Deities engaging in sex can choose to "leave behind" tiny amounts of their essence to give them instant mental communications/control links, though if they try this with another deity it must be by permission (unless there's a huge power imbalance between the two beings), or it will simply be rejected/expelled. Often two allied deities will engage in this deliberately - - and they can, if they wish, do so swiftly without any great energy exchange or enjoyment.
Dennis, re. your "top of the food chain" question: sorry, things just aren't that simple and clear-cut in the Realms. Nor do any of the four races you cite behave in perfect collectives, so what's true for one Phaerimm may not be for another, ditto dragons, ditto aboleths; they spend far more time, thought, and energy in rivalries among themselves than they do fighting other races. And if you're trying to ask "who's most powerful, and who's dominant right now?" the answer is NDA and (hint) may well not be confined to those four choices...

So saith Ed, Creator of the Realms and its most keen and long-serving observer.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  15:51:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This time Ed responds to Eladrinstar:

Magic need not emit any visible radiation, of any hue, but often planar-intersection and outsider magic is purple, or purple-blue, or purple-black, divine magic is white or rosy if necromantic or creation-oriented, and arcane magic is blue-white to an intense blue. These are aesthetic choices of the crafters, or random results if the caster spares no thought for such things, not "natural absolutes" determined by alignment or nature of magic.
(And in my fiction, I often use magical colors to hint or foreshadow.)

So saith Ed, who put up this huge tent in the first place.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  15:56:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And Ed's come right back with an addition to his response about "top of the food chain:"

The most dominant of those four races, in the Realms, down the centuries, has clearly been dragonkind, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily personally most powerful, and again: individual variances trump racial ones.

So saith Ed. Again.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  16:08:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Ed's bouncingly busy this morning!
Here's his response to this, from createvmind: "Ed if someone teleported into water, is the water displaced like air is or is what too solid and the reporter is merged with water?"
Ed replies:

Hi, createvmind. This one's easy, being as Gary and Len Lakofka (and much later, Frank Mentzer) all covered this in detail in various GenCon seminars (and GenCon AD&D Open tournament play rulings):
The teleport magic itself displaces/consumes/transfers air, water, mud, jelly (as in ochre or equivalent!), soup, etc. equal in volume to the arriving teleporter, so there's no killing (or other impact), no sonic boom or other loud noise, no discharge of energy, no wounding of the teleporter. Doesn't work on discrete solids (like solid rock) but does on mobile collections of solids (like loose sand, a vat full of dried grain or marbles or beads, etc.).

So there you have it!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  16:16:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Many thanks, Ed and THO!

Follow-up: Our discussion about the food chain led to the possible supremacy of the githvyrik. Paul revealed only a little about them. NDA, I guess. But would you consider them superior to most dragons?

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  17:27:53  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Thank you, Ed and THO!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  17:41:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone.
Ed's bouncingly busy this morning!
Here's his response to this, from createvmind: "Ed if someone teleported into water, is the water displaced like air is or is what too solid and the reporter is merged with water?"
Ed replies:

Hi, createvmind. This one's easy, being as Gary and Len Lakofka (and much later, Frank Mentzer) all covered this in detail in various GenCon seminars (and GenCon AD&D Open tournament play rulings):
The teleport magic itself displaces/consumes/transfers air, water, mud, jelly (as in ochre or equivalent!), soup, etc. equal in volume to the arriving teleporter, so there's no killing (or other impact), no sonic boom or other loud noise, no discharge of energy, no wounding of the teleporter. Doesn't work on discrete solids (like solid rock) but does on mobile collections of solids (like loose sand, a vat full of dried grain or marbles or beads, etc.).

So there you have it!
love,
THO

Awesome! Thank you.

Edit: Is there any illumination of any kind or would that be the dependent upon teleporting person/device/structure?

Edited by - createvmind on 05 Dec 2011 17:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  19:44:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I think what Ed was driving at is that INDIVIDUALS are at the top of the 'food chain', rather then entire species. Various races have been dominant during certain periods (Creators, Dragons, Giants, Elves, Etc), but in the end, any one member of a sentient species can 'rise above' all others of its kind, and even become greater then creatures normally far more powerful then it.

First an observation, then a question.

Thank you for that answer to the teleport question - you gave me a very good idea for a story or RPG scenario (story would probably work better, otherwise I'd have to do much 'steering'). I understand that in the case of a mass-teleport, everything within the radius of the sphere is teleported (including the air, as you said above), but what of personal teleports? Is there a certain distance from a persons body - inches, milimeters, etc - that you would use as rule-of-thumb? Is there a personal sphere around the person? (In which case, I have to wonder what happens when someone is touching someone who has used a single-person teleport).

Also, could this effect possibly be used as a weapon? For instance, if a wizard teleported-out while flying above the enemy, and teleported inside solid rock, then would a sphere of rock then be falling on top of their heads?

And now for my question, inspired by your answer to Dennis' question: If a deity impregnated a normal person (mortal), then the child would be semi-divine, correct? Would the mother then be technically 'divine' for the duration of the pregnancy?

In other words, if Mystra took the form of a male while Elminster spent time as as female (which probably did occur), and got Elminster pregnant (NO, I do NOT want to know the answer to that one... yuck), would Elminster have been DvR '0'. Before becoming a Chosen, of course - once he was filled with a small portion of Mystra's essence (no jokes!) I would imagine that would be DvR '0'.

Which leads to a related question: I always assumed Chosen were DvR '0' (non-divinely abled demi-powers - think hercules, etc.... super-hero/demigods). That divine spark sets them on the threshold of godhood (although certainly still far from true godhood). 4e seems to equate demi-powers and Chosen together, lumping them all into the 'Exarch' category (which I think is perfectly fine), so then I have to assume that this was a correct assumption to make - that Chosen were very low-level demi-powers?

Which leads to yet-another question: Elminster was/is apparently THE Chosen of Mystra, just as Lolth has very specific 'High Chosen' (Yor'thae). I am also thinking about Xvim right now - do most gods have one favored Chosen (some may only have one) that is set-up to be their 'vessel'; a sort-of 'back-up-plan' in case something goes wrong? Also, would that mean Elminster was slighly more powerful then his fellow Chosen, like DvR '1'?

I imagine Ilmater's 'Saints' also fall into this category (which means there should be one that is slightly elevated above the rest). Hmmmm.... another question just popped into my head (sorry) -

Is/was Latahnder a Chosen of Aumanator?

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Dec 2011 19:48:46
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  00:36:20  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
I've already asked two questions (and gotten answers for those) over the course of these past few days, so I don't at all mind if this one doesn't get answered for a while. I don't want to hound anyone with endless questions.

Anyway, I'm starting a realm's campaign as DM, and one of my player's (a young woman new to D&D who has played the Baldur's Gate computer games and has been curious about the Realms ever since, and was quite surprised to learn she had been, in a way, playing D&D already,) who has come up with the neat idea of a Druid who, while dedicated to Mielikki, has family ties to bardic worshipers of Oghma. This druid likes to visit (as respectfully as possible in the case of the dangerous or intelligent creatures) as many fey, elementals, animals, beasts, and even vermin she can speak with, magically or not, in order to send back any stories or lore to her kin. Now, the player (not sure about the character) absolutely adores Whale Sharks, and I want to (eventually) surprise her with an encounter with some.

I was wondering where (if anywhere) they could be found in the realms, and if they could be found in the Sea of Fallen Stars? If so, would you happen to have any notes on their specifics to the realms (a bit of a stretch, I'm not sure I've seen them even mentioned in any fantasy literature), and if they have any special ties to the intelligent races of the Seros?

Edited by - Eladrinstar on 06 Dec 2011 00:37:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  00:37:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed just sent me a swift response to Markustay's post, two above this one. So heeeere's the Old Bearded Sage himself (Ed, I mean, not Elminster!):

Hi, Markustay.
"I think what Ed was driving at is that INDIVIDUALS are at the top of the 'food chain', rather then entire species."
Correct. Spot-on. No race is inherently superior to any other race, though some CULTURES may (temporarily) be. Nor do we clearly see everything about the Realms, ever; we have no way of knowing if we've sussed out all the powerful beings who are working BEHIND the scenes, at any one time (doing that is a lot harder than being an open emperor; entertain this thought: if Manshoon "let" Fzoul do a lot of what he did, then perhaps others "let" Szass Tam do what HE did - - and the Princes of Shade do what they did, upon their return to the Realms).

A teleport is NOT a "straight swap," or gale-force winds (due to temperature imbalances from one end of the translocation to the other) would often be created. It's a "three-way," using one of the relatively empty extra-dimensional spaces whose folding makes possible the teleport in the first place. So, no, a rock wouldn't be "falling on top of their heads." Same with mass teleport, which is why you can't teleport thick smoke or poisonous gas at a foe or someone you're besieging. (Otherwise, there would be no fair fights, races, or contests, anywhere in the Realms, unless no wizard was involved or wanted to wager on them.)
There's a thickness-of-the-average-human-thumb "aura" or "nimbus" around a teleported being that moves with them. If you were touching someone who was teleported (but you weren't), you'd get a skin "rash" (like a "carpet burn") as the air around them raced in a whirl against you, for just an instant. The Simbul often hurt those she kissed, this way, and as for the men she was actually entertaining at the time she "took herself elsewhere" . . . wince for a moment at THAT tenderness.

"And now for my question, inspired by your answer to Dennis' question: If a deity impregnated a normal person (mortal), then the child would be semi-divine, correct?"

Yes, but it varies, depending on the circumstances (a deity directly impregnating a mortal would probably destroy the mortal in an instant, unless they took GREAT care [[I recommend to you Larry Niven's classic essay "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"]]; more often, it's not even an avatar who engages in actual coupling with a mortal, but a temporarily-possessed mortal).

"Would the mother then be technically 'divine' for the duration of the pregnancy?"

It depends (see above).

"In other words, if Mystra took the form of a male while Elminster spent time as as female (which probably did occur),"

Yes, it did.

"... and got Elminster pregnant (NO, I do NOT want to know the answer to that one... yuck), would Elminster have been DvR '0'. Before becoming a Chosen, of course - once he was filled with a small portion of Mystra's essence (no jokes!) I would imagine that would be DvR '0'."

NDA to your yuck (which should tell you something, yes? ;}), and to your DvR Zero: again, it depends. Every instance is subtly different, and matters divine lend themselves very poorly to hard-and-fast game rules. Which is as it should be.

"Which leads to a related question: I always assumed Chosen were DvR '0' (non-divinely abled demi-powers - think Hercules, etc.... super-hero/demigods). That divine spark sets them on the threshold of godhood (although certainly still far from true godhood). 4e seems to equate demi-powers and Chosen together, lumping them all into the 'Exarch' category (which I think is perfectly fine), so then I have to assume that this was a correct assumption to make - that Chosen were very low-level demi-powers?"

SOME Chosen are. Most aren't. There's a whole range of servitor beings, from near-classical-depiction-of-angels down to ordinary mortal who has one "wild talent" inner power, thanks to divine meddling. Most Chosen aren't anywhere near as powerful as Mystra's were.

"Which leads to yet-another question: Elminster was/is apparently THE Chosen of Mystra, just as Lolth has very specific 'High Chosen' (Yor'thae)."

Correct.

"I am also thinking about Xvim right now - do most gods have one favored Chosen (some may only have one) that is set-up to be their 'vessel'; a sort-of 'back-up-plan' in case something goes wrong?"

Most deities have a backup vessel, yes, but most prefer to have this being be unwitting of their status, and well hidden, NOT an active Chosen. Many Realms deities are, or have been, what we would call more than a little paranoid.

"Also, would that mean Elminster was slighly more powerful then his fellow Chosen, like DvR '1'?"

Yes. He was.

"I imagine Ilmater's 'Saints' also fall into this category (which means there should be one that is slightly elevated above the rest)."

NDA, but bear in mind that the logic doesn't follow: deities differ enough in their nature that there's not necessarily a "should" in such cases.

"Hmmmm.... another question just popped into my head (sorry) - Is/was Lathander a Chosen of Aumanator?"

Heh, heh. NDA! I wield and brandish a sharp NDA in thy general direction! :}

So saith Ed. Who stands behind Ao, betimes murmuring "suggestions" in the manner of Jeeves.

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Dec 2011 00:38:01
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  03:53:50  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
A brief two questions for Ed, tying in to the chronomancy and time travel magic that was mentioned.

In Dragon #359, there was a type of dragon introduced called a Time Dragon. Among other things, they are most well-known for their ability to control and travel through time, either into the past or into the future. In fact, many of their lairs are often to be found at very "time-difficult" places to get to.

Given the issues with chronomancy, do time dragons exist in any great number within the Realms? Additionally, have they been studied in any great number by particular archmages for their abilities, assuming that anybody has actually gotten access to them for study purposes?

Second, relating to the Scourge of Shadowdale adventure path (in which Sylune "canonically" so-to-speak passes on, though I'm planning to change that in my own campaign if/when I get up to that point), she bestows a gift upon the player characters of a small amount of non-replenishing silver fire that they can use (cast a spell unaffected by an antimagic field/dead magic zone or immediately heal the user of several afflictions) three times in their lives before it's used up.

I'm assembling a list of uses the silver fire can be put to "by the rules" in 3e/3.5e edition sourcebooks/Dragons/Dungeons (for something to do, and because I'm curious about how much has been printed for it by WotC). Am I right in guessing that other Chosen of Mystra would also be able to employ the silver fire in such a fashion either on themselves (except without a 3-use limit, since they're the source of it and could if nothing else just "bestow the blessing on themselves") or as a blessing in the same fashion as Sylune does for the PCs in that adventure path? So, for example, Elminster could do the same thing for another group of PCs, or the Simbul, or Khelben, or Laeral, or really any Chosen of Mystra past and present? If this is true, are there other times (assuming no NDAs are in place) when the Chosen have done this, either to a group of adventurers they're looking to point in the direction of something they need done, to a friend, a lover, or anything to that effect?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  04:20:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nice - thank you for all those very specific answers (even the NDAs, which weren't as bad as I expected).

And at the risk of being a pest - what if the mortal woman was purposely impregnated with a demi-power child - what happens to her afterward? This is just me asking you (Ed) what you think would happen to a normal person after carrying around divinity for awhile. We see what happens to Chosen (especially when their support-network is ripped out).

You know - weird stuff (premature aging, gaining 'The Sight', etc). Or would this also stretch the gamut on a case-by-case basis?

What about the 'leftovers' (from the birth)? Would there be any sort of use for them, as magical materials or what-not? I wasn't thinking of stem-cells, but that just popped into my head as well - on a tech-world I suppose you'd have some highly charged stem cells, but would that stuff be usable by a Mage or Priest?

I'm just imagining what some nut-job could do with a piece of Xvim's umbilical cord.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  12:10:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
or other impac), no sonic boom or other loud noise, no discharge of energy, no wounding of the teleporter. Doesn't work on discrete solids (like solid rock)

Unless of course there is a certain group of adventurers involved, into a certain tavern, into a certain bar

Its still one of my favourite snippets of Realmsplay history

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000