Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  07:39:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Has Ao personally destroyed a god?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  14:36:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm not sure Ed could properly answer that query, since Ao isn't an Ed-creation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  14:59:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm not sure Ed could properly answer that query, since Ao isn't an Ed-creation.

Well, I'm sure he's privy to information most people outside WotC are not.

If he says it's NDA, I would understand, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  15:10:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Ao was created by "Richard Awlinson" (Scott Ciencin, Troy Denning, James Lowder), under the purview of newcomer Wizards of the West Coast surreptitiously publishing AD&D 2nd Edition under the familiar TSR brand. As I recall, Ed initially seemed ... mildly displeased ... by this aptly-named Time of Troubles.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  15:36:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm sure this isn't the first time Ed is being asked about a character/entity he didn't create himself... So I'll just wait and see...

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  17:26:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Ao was created by "Richard Awlinson" (Scott Ciencin, Troy Denning, James Lowder), under the purview of newcomer Wizards of the West Coast surreptitiously publishing AD&D 2nd Edition under the familiar TSR brand. As I recall, Ed initially seemed ... mildly displeased ... by this aptly-named Time of Troubles.

Wizards of the Coast had nothing to do with TSR at this time. In fact, the first novel in the Avatar series was first printed in April 1989 - and WotC was founded by Peter Adkinson in 1990...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  19:10:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Wizards of the Coast had nothing to do with TSR at this time. In fact, the first novel in the Avatar series was first printed in April 1989 - and WotC was founded by Peter Adkinson in 1990...

And it was a few years after that that TSR's finances came crashing down, and WotC rode to the rescue. I remember that time period -- I didn't have the internet to tell me what was going on, all I knew is that suddenly I wasn't getting any more new nifty stuff from TSR.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  22:37:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Thanx for the correction ... my information was wrong.

Still ... not a lot of the people behind 2E are still on the D&D staff ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  01:14:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
It's usually assumed that TSR come up with the concept of Ao and he was brought into the setting during the Time of Troubles -- through the 1e to 2e change over. As it stands, Ed has no idea on where TSR came up with the concept of Ao.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Dec 2011 01:18:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  06:09:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I've got a weird question for you Ed -

How old is your house?

And YES, this is an FR question.

Inspired by some discussion in the Earth/Toril connections thread.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  06:52:31  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
I was reading Swords of Eveningstar, and it struck me that Jhessail seems to be a sorcerer, drawing spells seemingly out of her mind. While Martess seems a wizard "she casts spells out of books." I know the original campaign used 2e rules, so was that distinction made back then during play, or was that something added to make them familiar to a readership that was assumed to be more familiar with 3e rules?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  07:55:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

This question is related to my previous query about common gestures...

What gestures or involuntary physical reactions (like yawning, farting, burping) that are common in most cultures but (ridiculously?) rude or offensive to some?

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2011 :  10:27:32  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
Hi, what is the origin of the names ''Damara'' and ''Impiltur'', are they named after a person, or a tribe, or something else?

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  01:54:06  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's usually assumed that TSR come up with the concept of Ao and he was brought into the setting during the Time of Troubles -- through the 1e to 2e change over. As it stands, Ed has no idea on where TSR came up with the concept of Ao.

Ao was created by the team who came up with the Time of Troubles concept, which was intended to explain the changes in the Realms caused by the move from first to second edition. As I recall, that initial concept team included Jim Ward, Mary Kirchoff, and Jeff Grubb, though I could be mistaken about Jeff, and there could have been others.

The core concepts handed down from the group were: Ao, the Tablets of Fate, the gods wandering around in avatars, four central protagonists roughly representing the four main character classes, and the quest for the tablets plot and eventual ascension of one, possibly two of the characters to god/demigod status. As the changes required by 2E were firmed up, we were given those details to work into the story.

It's possible that the original novel authors (Scott Ciencin, Troy Denning, and, at the time, John Deakins) had a hand in creating the Ao plot, but I don't think so. I believe that the core concepts were set and then the authors were hired. However, I was not part of either the initial meetings or the first team meeting of the novel authors in Lake Geneva, which took place shortly after they'd been contracted. I was introduced to the authors on the last day of those meetings and then assigned to be series editor.

There was still not a lot to the Avatar circus when I was handed the ringmaster hat. Basically the core as outlined above and some suggested character names. My first job was to work with the authors to flesh out the story. Meanwhile, Scott Ciencin and I scrambled to write backstories for the main characters, which needed to be established for use in Hall of Heroes.

Jeff Grubb or Mary Kirchoff would likely be the most authoritative sources on who participated, and who created what, in the initial Time of Troubles meetings.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  02:35:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Awesome insight, Jim. I've always been curious about learning more particulars for the designer-origins of Ao.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  02:44:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Indeed. Thanks, Jim. That surely clarifies some matters concerning Ao's creation.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  03:45:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yes, thanks very much, Jim. It's great to have things spelled out (not being an employee, Ed heard or saw many things only partially, or through one staffer's POV, of the early days of the Realms).

Marc, you'll have to ask TSR folks where "Damara" came from, because they added it to the Realms (rolling back one of Ed's glaciers to do so). "Vaasa" was also added, as were the "Galena Mountains." The mountains were named for a real place, Galena, where some TSR brass went "on retreat." Vaasa may or may not have come from the real-life Scandinavian place of the same name, and Damara may or may not have come from Robin McKinley's fantasy tales of a land of the same name. (Oh, and "Volo" came from the real-life place (and Volo Bog) south of Lake Geneva.
"Impiltur" is one of Ed's coined names, and he often creates them for the way they sound, when said aloud. He came up with that particular name around 1972 or 1973, and tells me he didn't borrow or adapt it from anything real that he knows of.

Markustay, the house Ed has lived in for the last more-than-twenty years has a "new" addition (added by Ed about six years back), and an older part that is 1912 in some areas and 1923 in others, with various small renovations by divers owners over the decades since.

Eladrinstar, both Jhessail and Martess are wizards (or "wizardesses" if you prefer), but Jhessail has always had a "wild talent" for the Art that sometimes allows her to intuitively grasp how to modify spells - - and she has always used this to simplify their casting (shortening or eliminating material, somatic, and/or verbal components). She also "tumbled to" (Mystra or Azuth or a servitor of one or the other showed her, in a dream) the knack of caasting spells and leaving them "hanging" (hanging fire, that is, cast but not unleashed) for later, so when the one spell she could "hang" at a time was needed, mere silent act of will "let it fly." (This can't be done indefinitely and can't be used to memorize extra spells, BTW.) Detailing all of this in print was one of the many things that had to "go away" when Ed was boiling down tales of we Knights to the essentials, for that trilogy...

love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  03:48:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and an addendum, for Markustay:

I just got another e-mail from Ed, who asked me to add that his (former farm)house stands on the site of an older farmhouse, that might date from as early as the 1760s or 1780s.

Now, of course, I'm curious as to what you'll make of this...

Oh, and to Blueblade: I've remembered (and confirmed with Ed) at least three other anthologies he's written stories for, that have been accepted, that haven't appeared yet. He promises to let me announce them here, if and when he can speak publicly about them.

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Dec 2011 03:49:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  06:06:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Hi, what is the origin of the names ''Damara'' and ''Impiltur'', are they named after a person, or a tribe, or something else?

I provided an "origin" for the name of Impiltur in my DRAGON magazine article on the realm (#357).

The first leader of the people that would in time form the kingdom of "old" Impiltur was a Jhaamdathi refugee named Impil who built a keep on the site of a ruined dwarven delve (now the site of present-day Lyrabar which may or may not have ties name-wise with the ancient dwarf site) on a small hillock which people came to call Impil's Tor. Over time usage shortened the place to Impiltur and that was the name adopted by his descendants when the kingdom of the same name was founded before the raising of the Standing Stone.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 17 Dec 2011 06:09:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  06:29:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wow - lots of designers chiming-in here - must be the season with all this love flying about.

Anyhow, the Earth/Toril thread (which THO has commented in, so I know you are aware of it) made me realize that Elminster's portal probably pre-dated Ed's purchase of the house, and may even pre-date the house itself. Elminster would not bother to establish a permanent two-way gate unless there was something of interest to him on the other side (aside from pizza and hotdogs). I just got this mental image of some powerful Indian Shaman friend of El's, from 'back in the day'. And of course, picturing Elminster in the Old West' or in some mining or trapper-town back in the 17-1800's just tickles me to death.

Has Elminster ever taken on a guise while on Earth? Has he ever been involved in any important event? Is his interest in Earth purely scholarly, or is there something he is protecting or watching out for?

When you consider El's age, I have to assume that the Old Sage has been meeting with powerful mages from other worlds for quite some time, and setting-up a somewhat permanent 'neutral territory' for the meetings may be part of the reason he does so at the site Ed's house sits upon (perhaps the locale itself has some significance?)

In your opinion, do you think there might be covert groups here on Earth that are aware of this sort of activity, and try to monitor it (everything from clandestine groups to world governments)? Could there be exiles from magical worlds/planes living on Earth?

Of course I am speaking about the 'D&D Earth', and not our real one... I'm not that nuts.

Obviously, THO's post in that other thread has left me very intrigued - I had been unaware of how much you focused on the connections between Earth and Toril in your games. Knowing how much thought you put into everything, I am sure there are tons of possibilities you've considered using those connections - great ideas that will probably never find a vehicle now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  18:12:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Markustay, off your post goes to Ed. Re. this: "In your opinion, do you think there might be covert groups here on Earth that are aware of this sort of activity, and try to monitor it (everything from clandestine groups to world governments)? Could there be exiles from magical worlds/planes living on Earth?"
I can tell you, from play with Ed: yes, very much so, to both of those questions.
Ed's Firearms articles in DRAGON provide glimpses of some of the rules details of such "Realms individuals on the loose in a modern-day Earth" roleplaying. I regret that one of Ed's illustrations, showing a D&D party attacking a GP40 diesel railroad locomotive on the move, and entitled "Taming The Iron Dragon," didn't get used when DRAGON published those pieces...
(And of course, the side-details of an Earth/Realms crossover campaign that Ed slipped into that article got edited right back out again, thanks to the company's Code of Conduct concerns. As Ed expected them to.)
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  18:33:35  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message
quote:
(And of course, the side-details of an Earth/Realms crossover campaign that Ed slipped into that article got edited right back out again, thanks to the company's Code of Conduct concerns. As Ed expected them to.)

This is a good example of TSR's fear of religious reactionaries and the usual "think of the children!" crowd causing censorship of content. Because of the whole "Satanic Panic," wherein D&D was identified as a supposed recruiting tool for the occult and the forces of Satan, the company had a firm policy against showing any connections between the real world and the game or individual settings such as the Realms.

If you want to read more about the whole Satanic Panic history, Allen Varney did a great timeline for the Escapist, which can be found here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/days-of-high-adventure/7494-Days-of-High-Adventure-Satanic-Panic. Allen quotes from a short piece I eventually published in Kobold Quarterly #15, "Those Dark Dungeons Blues," about my experiences with the panic as a gamer and TSR staffer.

Edited by - JamesLowder on 17 Dec 2011 18:34:35
Go to Top of Page

Aeron Nancet
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  19:39:38  Show Profile Send Aeron Nancet a Private Message
I would like to thank Ed and THO for the speedy reply. I've just been too lazy to come back and look it up ;)

May the Grace of the Valar Protect You
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2011 :  19:50:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,
Ed what unique circumstance can free a spawn from master vampire not involving destruction of either or master releasing spawn?

Can anything temporarily free a spawn of master's influence and is the master ALWAYS aware when this occurs or can the master be impaired in some manner that accidentaly frees spawn?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  05:32:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
A wish spell?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  06:35:53  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, THO.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  23:16:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you very much for that, THO. I hope Ed may have more to add, but is probably still covered by those puritanical NDAs (and thank you also Mr. Lowder for chiming-in ).

As for the last question, I am sure there are some types of powerful undead - Liches and Ancient dead (Mummies) - that can usurp another's control, and perhaps even free an enslaved minion. I don't know if any non-undead able to do that - maybe some psionic being (and Elder Brain or Aboleth?) I don't know if simple mental prowess would be able to override a magically (curse) based compulsion, though. I suppose it depends on how the individual DM handles the Psionic/Magic connection.

I'd be interested, of course, in hearing Ed's answer.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Dec 2011 23:16:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  01:35:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A little bird (or rather, ahem, a large and bearded one) tells me that it's an anniversary of the publication of ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE, and as part of a marketing campaign for e-books cooked by Random House and Wizards, there may be some related activity on Ed's "fan" page on Facebook.
Perhaps even, over the days ahead, we might get peeks at some hitherto unpublished really short snippets of this and that, related to that classic Realms bestseller...

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  02:01:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'm finding it difficult to visualize Ed perched on a telephone pole or sitting in a nest, preening his gaudy bearded headcrest and singing mellifluously to attract potential mates.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  14:01:58  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message
quote:

I'm finding it difficult to visualize Ed perched on a telephone pole or sitting in a nest, preening his gaudy bearded headcrest and singing mellifluously to attract potential mates.

When you put it that way, I can kinda see it...;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000