Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  12:37:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Why do I feel an NDA coming?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  12:52:14  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
Ed,

A question occurred to me yesterday:

A ladies man in our world might be referred to (sarcastically or no) as "Casanova", "Romeo" or "Don Juan", an intelligent (or not so-) person as "Sherlock" or "Einstein", and strong person as "Hercules" or so on.

What historical, literary or legendary figures do folks in the Realms compare (or deride) other folk with?

JL

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  13:25:37  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
AZOUN!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  14:03:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Elminster Enraged?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  14:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Elminster Enraged?

This is the title listed for the next book released next August.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  20:57:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TheHermit

Ed,

A ladies man in our world might be referred to (sarcastically or no) as "Casanova", "Romeo" or "Don Juan", an intelligent (or not so-) person as "Sherlock" or "Einstein", and strong person as "Hercules" or so on.
(...)

Don Juan - Danilo Thann?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  10:49:27  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message
Well Met THO

I have a question for Ed if I may, please?

I've been running a campaign set in Mistledale for about a year now and I was hoping to gain some information on Captain Baergil of the Riders of Mistledale.

I was hoping that Ed might be able to provide some idea of level, class breakdown, personality, etc.

I've shied away from trying to detail him as I wanted to do him justice, he's one of my favorite Mistledale NPC's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If anyone fancies a read of the campaign it can be found in this thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13604

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  16:36:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Just finished Bury Elminster Deep!

Bravo Ed, bravo!

Now what if any can you share about "the Lady Ghost, Cymmarra"

Will more be revealed of Larloch's role with The Simbul and the Imprisoners in the next El novel Elminster Enraged?

I will understand if the dreaded NDA appears.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 06 Aug 2011 16:37:21
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  21:56:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Elminster gets blitzed and goes off half-cocked on the
entire Realms. LOVE IT.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  19:27:10  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
Here's something of a historical / origin question...

Were the ancestors of the Old Illuskans from Earth? They are so very proto-Viking-like, it seems to me that they might've fallen through a really old portal, perhaps not just a portal between worlds, but also a portal through time (sending them back to -3000 DR or so)?

Also, could you tell us the names of the gods they originally worshipped, circa -2200 DR (or before) when Old Illusk was a thriving city? Did they bring Tyr and/or other old Norse gods with them, if they were proto-Viking? And... if so, did they experience a kind of "Ragnarok" which led to the deaths of many of their interloper gods?

Or am I completely and utterly barking up the wrong tree with this?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  20:10:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

Ed,

What historical, literary or legendary figures do folks in the Realms compare (or deride) other folk with?

JL

Intriguing notion. I can definitely see some people calling folk who are book smart but lack foresight "Karsus".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  06:28:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi Ed and THO!

I was reviewing some posts in a certain thread when something occurred to me...

The phaerimm absorb magic, the Weave-based magic at least. But in the novel Sword Play, the magic storms, which were fueled by the Netherese's careless and relentless use of magic, caused deaths of several of the thornbacks. They should have been able to absorb the storm, right? In the first place, it's just a mass of magic. Or was there some material or essence in the storm that made it inedible and destructive to the phaerimm?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 08 Aug 2011 09:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  08:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Recently I've been blazing through the 8-bit Theater webcomic, a Final Fantasy 1 parody comic that also parodies more than a few D&D/Forgotten realms concepts, and it got me thinking about spell personalization.

For example, in the comic, a character named Sarda casts a spell on another character named Black Mage that forces him to vomit his organs out but survive. Black Mage, having the ability to instantly learn any spell cast on him that he survives, tries to use it against Sarda. He casts it...and proceeds to vomit his organs out again. Sarda had customized the spell so that the target was always Black Mage.

I'm curious as to how possible/common this is in the realms, whether Elminster or the other chosen(or their enemies) are prone to doing it, and so on.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  17:41:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Ed,

JL

Intriguing notion. I can definitely see some people calling folk who are book smart but lack foresight "Karsus".

In the novels Karsus was a child like idiot savant when it came to magic, no book worm at all.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  05:38:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question for Ed
What would Love of the ARt translate into Loross( netherese) or elven?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  06:19:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
When were El and Storm lords of Waterdeep? Or are they still? Love to know the when and how it came to be, but fear those three letters will appear instead!

Although I fear the answer, any tiny tidbits that can shared about their time doing so?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:26:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Here's something of a historical / origin question...

Were the ancestors of the Old Illuskans from Earth? They are so very proto-Viking-like, it seems to me that they might've fallen through a really old portal, perhaps not just a portal between worlds, but also a portal through time (sending them back to -3000 DR or so)?
IMHO...

The deities of the Vikings (along with the social structure and other 'Norse things') should not be thought of as 'Earth Gods', but rather as multi-spheric deities with interests in many worlds.

Of course, the Aesir probably originated on a specific world, but not necessarily on our world. The Vanir, on the other hand, are probably from Faerie/The Feywild and possibly related to the Celtic Pantheon.

Going back to Gygax's model of the universe, and Planescape in all it's 2e glory, we can see that the 'Earth' pantheons are predominant, which is why I feel that they are NOT really 'Earth Gods', but rather something more universal. I'm sure at least one pantheon is actually native to our world (just as the Faerūnian Pantheon is to Toril), but you can leave which one up to the individual DM/Campaign (in other words, take your pick).

So the Norse gods and their culture could have emigrated to BOTH Earth and Toril, from the Great Wheel, and from wherever those beings may have originated.

If Earth is special in the 'great scheme of things' for anything, it would be that so many pantheons were able to get a foothold here (from a D&D, not RW, perspective).

IMHO, of course.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Aug 2011 17:30:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  03:58:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I have returned from e-silence (work assignment) to find a weary but very happy Ed back from GenCon.
Where he was delighted to see many old friends and make quite a few new ones. Ed collected Mr. Schend on the way down and spent much time hanging out with him, Brian Cortijo, Erik Scott de Bie, Gabrielle Harbowy, Bob Salvatore, and other creatives. Not to mention enjoying splendiferous dinners (he tells me the one with Susan Morris and Erin Evans was a particular highlight).
In Realms news, much more must be kept secret than can be revealed, but Ed would like to plug two games he played demo prototypes of, at GenCon: LEGENDS OF DRIZZT and LORDS OF WATERDEEP.
The latter now has its own thread here at the Keep, I see, so I'll just note here that Ed was DELIGHTED with it, and post his comments about it over in the appropriate scroll.
Ed also loved the Drizzt game, which is akin to the recent Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of A boxed games. He said it captured very well the feel and experience of "Dungeon Crawl Lite" for non-D&D-gamers (such as members of a gamer's family), and he will rush to buy a copy for family game play, come November.
Ed is back on the lore-answering job, finally (he came home to many tasks that needed dealing with), and begins with this comment:

Markustay, you are "right on" correct (as usual :} ) in your conjectures e. the gods, posted above.

Chosen of Asmodeus, the "backlash" trick you describe is rare for spells in the Realms, because in most cases, only a foolish or inattentive caster could fail to notice the target of the spell he or she is casting, because it's either visualized by the caster or built into the incantation (and successful casting by uttering an incantation that one doesn't understand is rare indeed, due to the necessity of focussing the will "thus" and "so" at various points during the incantation [[i.e. you'd only get the spell off correctly by slim-chance good fortune if mouthing a non-understood incantation]]). In almost all cases where a spell has no incantation, targets must be visualized or otherwise will-chosen by the caster, or preselected by a physical link/sympathetic association with the target [[e.g. using hair or spittle or clothing from the target]].

So saith Ed. Who is rushing to get several things done at the moment . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  04:46:51  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
I really love the concept of having the Norse Gods as multispheric, but my question for Ed/THO wasn't really about the gods so much as it was about the origin of the Old Illuskans. I'm curious if they were supposed to have come through a portal from Earth as a proto-Viking-ish culture. Or another world... or if they evolved on Faerun.

It's cool by me if the Illuskans came from a "Midgard-ish" type of world -or- if they portalled from Earth, but because of an adventure idea I'm toying with, I'm curious which. And I know I can just do whatever I want, really, but it'd be neat if my conjecture matched with canon... if Ed or THO can say anything about that, I'd really appreciate it.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  01:06:32  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

I just finished rereading Elminster Must Die and, after checking my notes and rereading the prologue, I've noticed that of the six-man Bloodshields Band mentioned there, only five of them are named: Flamdar, Gaerond of the Scars, Lylar, Malkym, and Rornagar Breakblade. Who is the sixth member and what is his role in the group? Also, do those six represent the entire adventuring company, or are they working on their own?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  18:02:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm trying not to be my usual verbose self, relying instead on many of my past posts for clarification. So if I may interject one more time (my apologies to Ed/THO and the Mods).....

I have sated in other threads that I think that all pantheons originated somewhere, but that many have been so successful that they have 'branched out' and found worshipers on other worlds. Several Faerūnian Gods have made this leap (or, perhaps, emigrated to Toril, which may be the case for Bane).

These deities find fairly primitive cultures who's ideals/beliefs are similar to their own (thus allowing those gods to get energy from their portfolios being revered), and then use their own influence over these people to 'steer' them toward a cultural pattern close to the one that spawned them in the first place.

In other words, the Norse pantheon would be on the look-out for hardy, warlike peoples who live in a cold climate near the sea. However, if most other criteria are met, then they could forgo some of the more usual ones we would expect (so you could have 'tropical vikings', which they have in Warhammer). In FR, the Reghedmen are an example of such a people that don't raid by sea (although I believe they venerate the Totemic spirits of the Uthgardt and not the Illuskan deities).

So, as long as a group of people - not necessarily human - have enough criteria to be a good candidate, the pantheon in question would begin to exert cultural influence over them, thus causing much of the "parallel evolution' we see in so much gaming and story material.

I actually cut this short, and saved the rest of what I have to a file. Since I am starting from scratch again, I may as well start organizing my thoughts from the beginning (which I hope will eventually appear somewhere... preferably in something published, but at the very least on my own website... eventually...). I only just got another computer, so it will be a LONG road back.

My apologies, once again, and thanks for putting up with me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  18:31:41  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm trying not to be my usual verbose self, relying instead on many of my past posts for clarification. So if I may interject one more time (my apologies to Ed/THO and the Mods).....

I have sated in other threads that I think that all pantheons originated somewhere, but that many have been so successful that they have 'branched out' and found worshipers on other worlds. Several Faerūnian Gods have made this leap (or, perhaps, emigrated to Toril, which may be the case for Bane).

These deities find fairly primitive cultures who's ideals/beliefs are similar to their own (thus allowing those gods to get energy from their portfolios being revered), and then use their own influence over these people to 'steer' them toward a cultural pattern close to the one that spawned them in the first place.

In other words, the Norse pantheon would be on the look-out for hardy, warlike peoples who live in a cold climate near the sea. However, if most other criteria are met, then they could forgo some of the more usual ones we would expect (so you could have 'tropical vikings', which they have in Warhammer). In FR, the Reghedmen are an example of such a people that don't raid by sea (although I believe they venerate the Totemic spirits of the Uthgardt and not the Illuskan deities).

So, as long as a group of people - not necessarily human - have enough criteria to be a good candidate, the pantheon in question would begin to exert cultural influence over them, thus causing much of the "parallel evolution' we see in so much gaming and story material.

I actually cut this short, and saved the rest of what I have to a file. Since I am starting from scratch again, I may as well start organizing my thoughts from the beginning (which I hope will eventually appear somewhere... preferably in something published, but at the very least on my own website... eventually...). I only just got another computer, so it will be a LONG road back.

My apologies, once again, and thanks for putting up with me.

Markus, thanks for your input on this, but I'd really like to get my original question answered without it being first re-filtered through someone else's speculation. In essence, you're altering the nature of my question, and my original question is likely to be re-framed through your speculation - and I might not get an answer at all for what I really would like to know.

I understand you're trying to help, and I appreciate that. But once again, I'm not as interested in the origin of the Norse gods as I am the ancestral lines of the Old Illuskans themselves, ok?

Plus, when other scribes interject with their own explanations or suppositions and are "on target", we tend not to get additional information tidbits that Ed /THO might share in a direct answer. We just tend to get "yeah, scribe A is on target" and that's it.

Sorry if this sounds irksome, but I'm a little irked. Thanks for trying to help, though.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  09:36:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All

Ed hope you enjoyed OSRcon, did you get to play anything or was it just seminars for you. Would be interested to hear what the panel thought about the difference between gaming in the old days in comparison to now (by the way did you DM the Elminster Adventure?).

Given your stated prefernce in using AD&D second edition rules for the 'home campaign', have you considered writing OSR products using the open gaming licence? There are lots of small press publishers and individuals creating work for the OSR fans, selling (cheap'ish) PDF's through the various RPG online stores. I understand any OSR product you might publish could not be Realms specific but am sure with a few tweaks could be shoe-horned into the Realms

A 'few wish list thoughts' from the top of my head!
A really good sourcebook on merchants and trade would be welcome, and one about a small set of islands and adventures to be had would be good, and a few low-level interlinked mystery adventures set in a small village on the borders of a large and prosperous kingdom would be great too!

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 14 Aug 2011 09:43:05
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  18:01:26  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Just finished Bury Elminster Deep last night. Pretty good read. :) Just wish we didn't have to wait until August of 2012 for Elminster Enraged! Keep writing Mr Greenwood and I'll keep reading!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  18:34:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eilserus, Ed thanks you for the kind words. ELMINSTER ENRAGED will be finished by mid-September, but yes, you'll have to wait until next August to read it. By which time it will be at least three novels, and probably four, in Ed's rear-view mirror. :}

Damian, here's Ed's reply to you:

For me, OSRCon was a delightful afternoon (only), in the basement of the Toronto library building that houses the Merril Collection (sf/fantasy), staffed by old friends and new ones. I participated in a panel, and then ran an old (2nd Edition D&D rules) tournament adventure of mine that's familiar to some British gamers, "Mousehole." (No, Elminster doesn't appear in it.)
The panel ranged over games from Kriegspiel and sandtable miniatures wargaming to the commercial needs of game publishers today and those forthcoming WotC board games (Legends of Drizzt and Lords of Waterdeep).
My "stated preference" for AD&D second edition rules for the 'home campaign' comes from my players and I voting on what rules to use. Frankly, we all prefer roleplaying to rollplaying, and so rules hardly matter; we moved from 1st to 2nd and then just settled there, rather than ever debating this edition over that one.
Not only have I considered writing OSR products using the open gaming licence, I've done it, both for Paizo and for the Gaming Paper (see "Lost Coins & Flying Bones" in ALL STARS TAKE ON THE MEGA DUNGEON, my adventure in that tome alongside efforts by our own Steven Schend, Brian Cortijo, and Monte Cook). And, yes, that adventure could be dropped into the Realms with no modification at all, just the DM considering which city and the consequences for ongoing play therein.
I'll try to do more of it (and have made more still-secret-for-now arrangements in this regard), but frankly need to concentrate on writing that earns me enough money to eat and pay my bills.
As for your wish list: the merchants/trade, islands and adventures thereupon, and mystery in a small community ideas are ALL already in the ever-lengthening list of "Realms projects I'd really like to do, hint hint" that Wizards has and that I remind them about at least annually, at GenCon, and more often when I get a pretext to do so. Here's hoping!

So saith Ed, first and foremost dreamer of the Realms, now and always!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  18:41:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And here's another lore tidbit from Ed, this one to TheHermit:

Hi. This topic has been covered before, and the best answer is that a Realms equivalent for Casanova or "hyper-successful ladies' man" changes from time to time and place to place in the Realms; several examples from lore have been shared in the past.
If your Realmsplay is set in the 1360s to 1380s DR, just before the Spellplague really cuts loose, the most popular such term is "Rhallowgar," after Rhallowgar the Rampant, a tireless wencher and bon vivant of the Inner Sea, Vilhon, and Tashalar regions, who travelled often to keep ahead of furious husbands and the like, and made a living as a courier of small valuable items and documents, a messenger, and a smuggler of drug-laced wines. He was infamous for romancing (and satisfying) three noble ladies during one feast, then carrying off a maidservant "for a nightcap" (on horseback, galloping ahead of pursuers, and accomplishing a no-doubt-painful coupling in the saddle during that flight). His name spread into general use rather rapidly, but the real Rhallowgar was forced to change names and adopt magical disguises to change his face, to avoid repeated assassination attempts. His eventual fate is unknown (as he probably finished his days out under other names and with other faces).

So saith Ed, Loremaster of the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  18:54:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi. This topic has been covered before, and the best answer is that a Realms equivalent for Casanova or "hyper-successful ladies' man" changes from time to time and place to place in the Realms; several examples from lore have been shared in the past.
If your Realmsplay is set in the 1360s to 1380s DR, just before the Spellplague really cuts loose, the most popular such term is "Rhallowgar," after Rhallowgar the Rampant, a tireless wencher and bon vivant of the Inner Sea, Vilhon, and Tashalar regions, who travelled often to keep ahead of furious husbands and the like, and made a living as a courier of small valuable items and documents, a messenger, and a smuggler of drug-laced wines. He was infamous for romancing (and satisfying) three noble ladies during one feast, then carrying off a maidservant "for a nightcap" (on horseback, galloping ahead of pursuers, and accomplishing a no-doubt-painful coupling in the saddle during that flight). His name spread into general use rather rapidly, but the real Rhallowgar was forced to change names and adopt magical disguises to change his face, to avoid repeated assassination attempts. His eventual fate is unknown (as he probably finished his days out under other names and with other faces).

love,
THO

Now that's impressive!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  20:23:39  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Damian, here's Ed's reply to you:

For me, OSRCon was a delightful afternoon (only), in the basement of the Toronto library building that houses the Merril Collection (sf/fantasy), staffed by old friends and new ones.

Thanks Ed for the quick response, I think I need to move to Toronto in time for next years OSRcon to enjoy an afternoon or two playing Cthulhu, Star Frontiers, Paranoia et al

As an aside there were (are?) plans in the works to do a series of supplements for Goodman Games (among others) are we likely to see any more non WoTC work (not novels) within the next 12 months?

Is Embersea still a project? this was the one I was most looking forward to.

Kind regards

Damian
ps I noticed they used a pictue of you with two lovely ladies for the 'guest of honour' blurb piece

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  01:44:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Thanks Ed for the quick response, I think I need to move to Toronto in time for next years OSRcon to enjoy an afternoon or two playing Cthulhu, Star Frontiers, Paranoia et al
Another Star Frontiers fan. Woot!
quote:
Is Embersea still a project? this was the one I was most looking forward to.
Strangely enough, I was going to ask Ed about Embersea this week, since I've been of a mind to compile what little the Bearded One has shared about the project, here at Candlekeep.

I'll second crazedventuers query, Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  02:09:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Sounds like Mirt to me.

Oh, yeah Mirt wouldn't have ran...

Alaundo of Candlekeep