Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  16:36:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Hi, all.
Kajehase, Ed says he'd be happy to (and I happen to know he does a mean Swedish Chef).

I also bring words from Ed, for Cronje, in regards to this: "Is "Halfling" just what it's commonly called, with "Lurienal" its proper name? Or is Lurienal a dialect of the language?"
Here's Ed:

Hi, Cronje. The tongue of halflings is commonly called "Halfling" by other races, and this isn't considered impolite by anyone. Sages and sticklers among humans will sometimes prefer "Hin" or "Hinspeech," but halflings find that amusingly outdated and pedantic. Among themselves, they refer to their language as "Gerult" (which means "The Talk"), and consider "Lurienal" the proper name of formal, 'correct' [as in: non-slang] Gerult. Not a dialect, but "proper English" (what Commonwealth real-world speakers sometimes call "the King's English" or "the Queen's English," meaning formal, polite, correct in all points of grammar and etiquette, with sentences structured to avoid possible misunderstandings. The language of treaties, in other words. (As well as being the form of halfling-speech used in the land of Lurien.)
There ARE regional dialectics among halflings, including Blaethur (spoken in Waterdeep and other cities up and down the Sword Coast, a rapidly-changing, "current" speech larded with human words and adopted expressions from many languages, that has many contractions and shortform substitute words [e.g. "draego" for "the day after this one if we're lucky, but probably later"]); Norarra (a soft, fluid, very-slowly-changing rural speech of the Heartlands and Moonsea, that can be contrasted with Luirenal as real-world Welsh can be contrasted to BBC English); and Haroor (a sharp, fast, staccato-delivery form of halfling known in Calimshan, the Tashalar, and the Border Kingdoms, that incorporates words from other languages, such as Common, with 'inverted commas' inflections around them).
This is a level of detail seldom put into printed Realmslore, because the wordcount is usually needed for more adventure-relevant details, but I putter away on such things from time to time. Hope this is of interest and help.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and still its foremost linguist.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2394 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  17:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'm suddenly struck by a halfling version of The Enlgishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain. Just how comprehensible are the various dialects with each other, and do halflings that speak a dialect also know the general language (like how German dialect speakers generally also know High German, and will switch to it for those who don't know the dialect)?

PS: And thanks, THO for the memories of early Shadowdale. If you have time in the future, I'd love any additional tidbits you can share.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  19:14:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, Ed tells me the dialects are readily understandable to all halflings, and all speakers of them also understand "general Halfling."
In other words, a hin traveling far from home will miss local allusions only (references to purely local events, people, jokes, and past events). Even unfamiliar words will 85% of the time be understandable by context.
So it would be more missing nuances than meanings.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

731 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  20:31:24  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
Way back in 2E, the Grand Patriarch of Oghma's church disappeared and we never learned his fate. Furthermore, Oghma never appointed a new Patriarch, which led to a heretical schism within his church.

With that in mind, here's my set of questions for Ed: whatever happened to Patriarch Kordamant? Or if NDAs don't allow an answer for that, how then can I understand Oghma's decision not to name a new Patriarch for 100+ years? What possible reasons could Oghma have for taking that long to name a successor, even if the time wasn't right for a reveal about Kordamant? As a DM, how do I explain the reaction of Oghma's faithful to this withholding of information? What are they (the orthodox, not the heretics) thinking in this case? How do they interpret Oghma's silence on these issues?

I'm totally flummoxed on this one. Please help!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 08 Jun 2011 20:35:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  04:52:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eltheron, Ed's hit the sack due to an early, early airport van pickup tomorrow morning to jaunt off to Seattle and be Guest of Honor at Paizocon. Ed usually falls e-silent during cons, and has informed me that this one will be no different. I'm away from home base on assignment right now, too, and I'm going to try to sneak over to the con and see him, though that's often impossible, so my replies may get spotty for the next few days, too.
However, I can START to give you some bits and pieces of an answer to your Oghma queries, myself:
Yes, there's NDA trouble, due to a never-published TSR-era Realms novel (not by Ed). The Grand Patriarch wasn't replaced by Oghma because he is still alive, and still Grand Patriarch (yes, even with all those years passing!) - - and that's all I can say (A) because of the NDA, and (B) because that's as much as I remember about this, and Ed will have to fill in the rest for us both.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  06:06:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Hi, all.
Kajehase, Ed says he'd be happy to (and I happen to know he does a mean Swedish Chef).

Tell him I said thanks.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

731 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  06:16:28  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Eltheron, Ed's hit the sack due to an early, early airport van pickup tomorrow morning to jaunt off to Seattle and be Guest of Honor at Paizocon. Ed usually falls e-silent during cons, and has informed me that this one will be no different. I'm away from home base on assignment right now, too, and I'm going to try to sneak over to the con and see him, though that's often impossible, so my replies may get spotty for the next few days, too.
However, I can START to give you some bits and pieces of an answer to your Oghma queries, myself:
Yes, there's NDA trouble, due to a never-published TSR-era Realms novel (not by Ed). The Grand Patriarch wasn't replaced by Oghma because he is still alive, and still Grand Patriarch (yes, even with all those years passing!) - - and that's all I can say (A) because of the NDA, and (B) because that's as much as I remember about this, and Ed will have to fill in the rest for us both.
love,
THO

Oooh, that's a tasty tidbit regardless of NDAs. Thanks!

Is it safe to ask whether or not Oghma's church knows that he's at least alive, or that Oghma said something like "the time is not yet right to know" to them? If so, that alone would make all my flummoxedness evaporate!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  12:07:21  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I’d like to know from Ed, and Lady Hooded if she knows, what the relationship is between (demi-) humanity and the Fey? Are there minor fey in the Realms like Brownies and Domovoi from folklore? Do common folk leave gifts for the fey, are there rituals to please the fey, or placate them? If so, do these rituals work?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  14:02:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
arry - Both brownies and domovoi have turned up in Realms-products; brownies in, for instance a WotC.com web-article with adventure locations, and there's a domovoi who befriends (or at least doesn't throw the samovar at) Liriel in Windwalker

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  20:07:54  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  09:14:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eltheron, I managed to contact Ed at Paizocon (where he's having a wonderful time) re. this: "Is it safe to ask whether or not Oghma's church knows that he's at least alive, or that Oghma said something like "the time is not yet right to know" to them? If so, that alone would make all my flummoxedness evaporate!"
Here's Ed's reply:

The church of Oghma DOESN'T know what happened to their Grand Patriarch, other than "he stands in the favor of Oghma." Which has been interpreted by some to mean he died heroically in service to the deity, by others that he was rewarded by being taken to another plane or into another body to continue to serve the god, and has led to a wild variety of other interpretations by yet other Oghmanites/Oghmanytes/Oghrann. All the priests alive today know is that their Grand Patriarch disappeared, and that the god does not desire them to appoint a new one. When some of the more ambitious upperpriests of the faith prayed to the deity for personal guidance re. running the church, one of them used the wording "tell us WHY we should not replace our Grand Patriarch who has fallen" and received a thunderous divine reply/rebuke: "Who hath told thee the Grand Patriarch is fallen?!?"
So that's where matters stand right now; hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who just finished signing literally hundreds of books in two hours, but thinks his hand won't fall off or event hurt tomorrow. He's becoming an old pro . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  09:46:36  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi Again,

one more question about the beloved greenskins.

In the FRCS 3,0 it says under the chapter Life in Faerun, in the "trade" entry as follows: "Even the fierce Goblin- / Goblinoid tribes of the cloven mountains trade quarried stone ( this must be a sight to see them doing ..... ) coal and iron with the human realms of the vilhon reach"
Can you share any more information on which tribes these might be or the Human realms which engage in such a trade in this area?

I would picture Erlkazar as a logic one, being quite isolated and "open minded" to Humanoids in general, and therefore using all the ressources they can get to be less independant from their former masters in the big western realms.

As always patiently looking forward to an answer.

Best regards
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

731 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  02:06:58  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Eltheron, I managed to contact Ed at Paizocon (where he's having a wonderful time) re. this: "Is it safe to ask whether or not Oghma's church knows that he's at least alive, or that Oghma said something like "the time is not yet right to know" to them? If so, that alone would make all my flummoxedness evaporate!"
Here's Ed's reply:

The church of Oghma DOESN'T know what happened to their Grand Patriarch, other than "he stands in the favor of Oghma." Which has been interpreted by some to mean he died heroically in service to the deity, by others that he was rewarded by being taken to another plane or into another body to continue to serve the god, and has led to a wild variety of other interpretations by yet other Oghmanites/Oghmanytes/Oghrann. All the priests alive today know is that their Grand Patriarch disappeared, and that the god does not desire them to appoint a new one. When some of the more ambitious upperpriests of the faith prayed to the deity for personal guidance re. running the church, one of them used the wording "tell us WHY we should not replace our Grand Patriarch who has fallen" and received a thunderous divine reply/rebuke: "Who hath told thee the Grand Patriarch is fallen?!?"
So that's where matters stand right now; hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who just finished signing literally hundreds of books in two hours, but thinks his hand won't fall off or event hurt tomorrow. He's becoming an old pro . . .
love,
THO

This has been very helpful, thanks very much! Please thank Ed for taking the time to answer, and thanks for asking him!

I also love the idea that Oghma has addressed the issue, just not in quite the clearest way for them, and that the clergy don't quite know what to do with what they've been told.

It does make me completely curious about the novel that didn't quite make it to publication. An Oghma-related novel would have been really fun to read.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  02:34:53  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all, Ed are their psionic nodes in faerun or on other planes OTHER than the far realms, have you invented or influenced any such creations officially first and if not, in your homebrew?

What and how did/do they manifest?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  07:56:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Is there a Phaerimm Chosen of Mystra? Given that Mystra is neutral in her treatment to magic-users, does she have a Chosen who is of evil alignment?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  10:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Hi Ed/ THO,

How does Ed see Mystra? Good, evil or neutral?
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  12:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Given that Mystra is neutral in her treatment to magic-users, does she have a Chosen who is of evil alignment?

Ed has replied regarding evil Chosen before - if you dig through his archived replies you'll probably turn up a few hits. The gist of it, as I recall, was that yes, she has had evil Chosen, though he's NDA-ed (see what I did there?) from saying exactly when, where and who, but generally tends towards good ones because evil Chosen have a habit of hoarding more and more power to themselves, rather than spreading it out to further the use of magic ("Lady Mystra, they're not yet ready, they need more time to learn before I can responsibly give them the magic!" "That's what you said ten years ago, when WILL they be ready?!").

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  10:09:46  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Good Afternoon to Mr.Greenwood(considering where i live, afternoon is very apt) I would just like to ask, concerning necromancers, will there ever be a novel dedicated to a necromancer or a wizard who dabbles and then is sucked into the dark world of necromancy, finally trying to achieve lichdom as a final goal, i mean it would be nice to read about such a character, he would certainly be very colourful. Thank you for your time, sincerely Xar Zarath.

P.S I try playing DND but the books are quite expensive here, and i have no one to play with.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  19:48:22  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Ed what would one see if withina bag of holding, what could one "THINK" they could do safetly within a bag of holding and what would be safe and unsafe?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  04:07:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is back home from Paizocon, which he VERY much enjoyed, and back "on the job." When he received my latest e-mail of posts in this forum, he came right back with a reply to Dennis, re. this: "Hi, Ed! Is there a Phaerimm Chosen of Mystra? Given that Mystra is neutral in her treatment to magic-users, does she have a Chosen who is of evil alignment?"
Ed replies:

To your first query: NDA. To your second: she has had many. Including some familiar-to-many Realms characters that "no one yet knows" (except, in some cases, WotC staffers or TSR ex-staffers who read my 1986 Realms turnovers or players in my "home" Realms campaign) are Chosen.
And to you and Arcanus: be careful in all assumptions re. the alignment of deities. Not only can alignments shift over time, the notion of alignments applies poorly to many deities - - because divine beings can be partially beyond the comprehension of mortals (who are, after all, almost always sharply limited in what they really know about a god or goddess).
Eldacar's recent post is "right on" regarding Mystra's evil Chosen, and their hoarding-magic "human nature" tendencies, which if followed place them in direct opposition to Mystra's main aim (of spreading magic to everyone, and making magic ever-greater and in ever-greater use).

Ed also added this, for arry:

Yes, there are many minor fey present in the Realms. They are entreated/appeased (and rarely, fought) by humans on a purely local level, their presence usually being kept almost secret from "outlanders" and even folk from villages beyond a day's ride away. Or to put it another way, they are considered "spirits of this place"/"the land" rather than a race or unified citizenry/power group (unlike the orcs or even treants).

So saith Ed. Who has mysteries galore up his sleeves, and intends to go on writing about them for years, without ever running out of his plentiful supply.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  08:54:09  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message
As THO likes to remind me, my 20 year love affair with the Realms has more often than not lead me to conclusions about the Realms that are 'off'.

Ed, can you please clarify something for me? I have always been under the impression that Mystra would prefer that the Art was used to, in the long run, help generate peace and prosperity in Faerun. Is this incorrect?

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  11:53:06  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
A great big kiss to kind Lady Hooded :) (I'd give Ed a kiss too, but only if he shaves ;) )
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  12:32:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Ed and THO!

A follow-up:

Does Mystra in a way share the portfolios of Destruction and Chaos with Talos and Lloth? She supports both evil and goodly magic. When evil wizards fight the goodly ones, destruction and chaos usually ensue.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  16:04:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring a reply from Ed of the Greenwood, to this from Saer Cormaeril: "Ed, can you please clarify something for me? I have always been under the impression that Mystra would prefer that the Art was used to, in the long run, help generate peace and prosperity in Faerun. Is this incorrect?"
Ed replies:

Mystra CERTAINLY prefers that the Art is used to in the long run, help generate peace and prosperity in Faerūn.
Not only does She firmly believe that stable social conditions with a goodly amount of personal freedom, bolstered and made possible by peace and prosperity, make for the best environment in which the maximum number of beings can further their personal mastery of magic, use magic in a daily breadwinning sense (and so enhance possibilities for development of non-battle-magic as opposed to more and more "blasting" spells), and have the time, opportunity, and relatively unfettered (as opposed to wartime) access to resources/ingredients/components/apparatus with which to experiment and be creative in developing new spells and magical processes . . . she also believes that more individuals who hate or fear the Art because they have no gift for working with it and see those who do as potential/actual oppressors, will soften into support of the Art, however grudging, if they see magic (in the hands of many, as opposed to a few tyrants) as bolstering, causing, or maintaining peace and prosperity. (For one thing, if the average saer in the street sees a personal benefit from cheap and plentiful spellcasting, and gets a lot more daily exposure to magic and its casters, familiarity will allay some of the fears, and quell some of the wilder rumours, about magic.)
In other words, magic-aided peace and prosperity creates conditions for a snowballing effect of deepening itself, leading to more peace and prosperity and more magic, AND increases a "buy in" from others who see the benefits of peace and prosperity.
More than this, Mystra sees peace and prosperity as a natural human desire, a goal to be fought for, and a clear reward for embracing her chief aim of "more magic for all."
The different Mystras have approached this goal in different ways, down the years, although there is increasing evidence that "being Mystra" does, over time, shape each wearer of that partiular divine mantle to behave and think in certain ways (some of which are seen by some mortals as "divine hubris").
I must caution again that mortals cannot clearly see the entirety of any divine being's nature, thoughts, and condition, and one must be VERY cautious about saying things along the lines of "this particular act or speech doesn't fit with that stated alignment," or some such. As any librarian knows, classification systems are all imperfect at best. For gods, they define observed tendencies and self-proclaimed adherences, more than any consistent reality.

So saith Ed. Being wordy so as to curtail, as much as possible, misinterpretations of what he's saying here.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  16:19:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody. And this from Ed, to Dennis, re. this: "Does Mystra in a way share the portfolios of Destruction and Chaos with Talos and Lloth? She supports both evil and goodly magic. When evil wizards fight the goodly ones, destruction and chaos usually ensue."
Ed replies:

True, but EVERY god shares every portfolio in this particular "way" you refer to (gods fight each other, so that supports Tempus, and if one kills another, that supports one or all death deities, and so on).
When I first introduced the concept of divine portfolios into the D&D game (the idea was ages-old, but I'm afraid that using the word "portfolios" and putting it formally into D&D was my fault), it was a mortal shorthand to describe the MAJOR interest(s) and dominance over a particular field or element of life of a deity. In other words, Tempus is Lord of Battles, but many deities concern themselves with warfare in more minor ways...and to a particular mortal, on the ground in the middle of a particular fight, the involvement of, say, Chauntea in that fight (say, over a boundary between farms, or over shared use of a watering-hole or well) might seem a whole lot stronger and more present than that of Tempus.
So, yes, "in a way" Mystra DOES share the portfolios of Destruction and Chaos with Talos and Lolth/Lloth - - BUT almost every deity shares in almost every portfolio in this manner, and so for purposes of discussion such involvement "cancels out" and isn't usually mentioned by mortals (except in theological debates among sages and within temples). A portfolio is meant to describe, for mortals, the primary (or one of a few main) goal, interest, or aim of a deity. Mystra's portfolio, however expressed, is centered on magic, and its ever-wider use, NOT on Destruction and Chaos. As I said earlier in my reply to Saer Cormaeril, Mystra prefers peace and prosperity as conditions for encouraging/fostering more widespread and frequent magic use (and development of magic, which in turn will make it more useful in a daily sense and hence better used), not destruction or chaos. Destruction is often caused by magic use, and may in some cases be necessary as a step in settling disputes/creating future peace, but that doesn't make it a goal for Mystra or a portfolio she meaningfully shares in.
I hope this helps in clarifying away some confusion.

So saith Ed. Opining like fury in his brief available time ere plunging right back into the constant stream of waiting writing projects...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000