Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  16:09:52  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Thanks for this answer, THO.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  22:10:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A pleasure, Jakuta Khan.
Keep those queries coming.
Barastir, weredragons were created by Ed before there was a D&D game, and were written up by him for 2e (in the pages of The DRAGON, I believe, but I might be misremembering). The were- writeups in the original Hall of Heroes weren't done by Ed (John Nephew, subsequently of Atlas Games/Ars Magica fame, did the Knights writeups from Ed's original character sheets and copious notes, but lots of TSR staffers did various bits of that sourcebook).
Ah, BURY is starting to tease. Ed tells me "Wait until you read the third one!"
(Thanks, guy. A wait of a year and a bit is JUST what a gal wants to hear. )
Eldacar, I've sent your followups off to Ed, and there's a good chance he'll send replies soon . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  22:33:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
ahhhhhh THO and ED are teasing us now!!!!!!!! RUn for MYTH DRannor!!!!

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  23:11:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Barastir, weredragons were created by Ed before there was a D&D game, and were written up by him for 2e (in the pages of The DRAGON, I believe, but I might be misremembering).

Actually, my lady, they were first published in 1E -- specifically, Dragon 134, June 1988.

quote:

(Thanks, guy. A wait of a year and a bit is JUST what a gal wants to hear. )

Perhaps you could consider it foreplay...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  00:25:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, Wooly. For BOTH sentences. Pleasure deferred is pleasure . . . ahem.

sfdragon, Ed thanks you for those kind words. And adds a caveat: this chapter MIGHT be a little misleading. In certain ways. No, he won't say more. (Such a tease.)

However, Ed WILL say more in response to Eldacar, as promised.
Here we go . . .
"Would it be plausible to guess that the key to open them would be a deity such as Azuth or Mystra (or Savras, or even Velsharoon post-ascension?) showing them to you? Or can they be opened without divine aid, and the key is just something that Azuth showed Ecamane when he helped him through the Scrolls?"

Ed: It would be plausible to guess that, but no, they CAN be opened without divine aid. Azuth didn't need the key, so Ecamane doesn't even know what the key is, but there IS a key (whose form and use I'm going to leave mysterious - - so if you have a pressing DMing need to feature it, make something up, because it HAS on occasion taken different forms).

"Additionally, though it supposedly takes as much as an entire month to review a single scroll of the fifty, Ecamane managed (with Azuth helping) to get through them all in just ten months (almost five scrolls each month!). Was this also a result of Azuth taking him through them, and the increased speed leading to a "cramming" effect? Would taking more time to study them at a slower pace have lead to a greater ability to retain the knowledge gained from the Scrolls?"

Ed: Yes, the speed was due to Azuth's assistance, just as Ecamane getting through them all and staying sane was. Studying them at a slower pace WOULD have led to a greater ability to retain knowledge, but it would have been less knowledge before creeping insanity made retention and proper memorization chancy/dangerously unreliable.

"Second, do there exist ways of artificially increasing your, I suppose, "capacity" to handle the information contained within the Scrolls, but without divine aid (so to speak)?"

Ed: Yes. ;}

"This relates to another artifact that I noticed when perusing Serpent Kingdoms, the Naja Fountain. It enhances the "spellcasting power" (for lack of a better term - 3rd edition game rules have it as a permanent +3 bonus to the arcane spellcaster's caster level for spells) of any wizard, sorcerer or similar who bathes in it, presumably by altering and improving their ability to wield magic to a greater level. Is this an example of increasing mental capacity, or would it actually be like the Scrolls in that if you've gone through the Naja Fountain, then you're going to be pushed closer to overload and your ability to comprehend the power/knowledge in the Nether Scrolls would actually decrease?"

Ed: Yes, this is one example of increasing capacity by "artificial" means. There are several others (most of them items, and at least one of them a process), but for now I'm going to leave them mysterious/up to a DM.

"Did the Sarrukh ever manage to gain a complete understanding of the information within the Scrolls? It was the Bae'tith who first wrote them, though given what Ed has mentioned, I'd also guess that they had some help along the way (either asked for or given without their knowledge), contributing to the end result, perhaps without their even being aware of it until they went back over the finished product."

Ed: Bingo. Aid given unaware, indeed. Collectively, the Sarrukh probably gained a working (rather than complete, akin to the guy who can do simple repairs and maintenance on his car, and diagnose problems pretty well, without being any sort of skilled mechanic) understanding of the lore contained in the scrolls . . . but that doesn't mean that INDIVIDUAL Sarrukh were walking geniuses (or even sages) of Art. They were more like a university faculty: put their experience, research, reasoning, and learning together, and you have an impressive total. Consider them in isolation, singly . . . not so much.

"Lastly, the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar is in the form of a tree. With the normal Scrolls, the letters appear in silvery writing that swims and moves to form each "page" of the text. How does the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar differ from the scrolls in the way that it imparts its knowledge? Where does the "writing" appear from?"

Ed: The writing (in long, swirling, smoothly-curved characters) appears as glows on the bark of the tree, radiances that arise and move just as the scroll writing "swims." It fades and curls into random, abstract swirls when the reader's attention turns away from beholding the trunk of the tree (and it doesn't "write itself" up boughs, onto leaves, around the back of the trunk, or in other ways make itself difficult to read or force the reader to move or change position to read all of a "page;" it's more like a page is projected out of the tree onto its bark on one side, in a readily defined area).

So saith Ed, who hopes this is of help.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  02:41:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Thank you, Wooly. For BOTH sentences. Pleasure deferred is pleasure . . . ahem.
Trust lousy time-zones which prevent me from missing out on this exchange.
quote:
Ed: Yes, this is one example of increasing capacity by "artificial" means. There are several others (most of them items, and at least one of them a process), but for now I'm going to leave them mysterious/up to a DM.
I know you've said you would rather leave this as mysterious, but I'm actually curious about referencing one particular method of the "artificial" means in an upcoming portion of my current campaign.

Could you possibly elaborate on this, Ed?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  04:13:32  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, who hopes this is of help.
love,
THO

Indeed it is, milady.

A few more questions are arising, though (apologies if I'm monopolising Ed's time!):

Presumably, Ecamane came out of his studies without "gaining fifty character levels" (from studying the entire Scrolls), but probably "gained several levels" nonetheless. Is that another effect of the cramming and speed Azuth gave him?

In his first response, Ed also noted that among the subjects Mystra and Azuth have forbidden the Chosen is killing a divine being or another Chosen and the implications (didn't we see the deaths of several deities during the Time of Troubles, and the results of killing a Chosen when they acted against Sammaster? Or are there further implications that haven't made it to published Realmslore?), as well as the essence of refining raw magical energy or darkfire into silver fire (among other things like information on former Chosen or servitors). The latter seems to imply that it is possible, for somebody using the Nether Scrolls, to in fact learn how to produce/create silver fire on their own, without ever being a servant of Mystra. Is that indeed the case?

How did that knowledge in particular become part of the scrolls? Was it originally the Sarrukh who worked it out, or something that Mystra/Azuth (or Mystryl, even) put there after the fact? What would or could it mean for Toril at large if the ability to create silver fire like that "got out" (so to speak)? Easily as dangerous or moreso than spellfire when Shandril was discovered to possess it, I would guess?

And in relation to this, when the Sarrukh first codified the Nether Scrolls, since the aid-unaware given to them was presumably by Mystryl, was her purpose when pushing the Scrolls above and beyond mere mortal codification related to preserving magical knowledge and "tying herself" to the Scrolls in the event of her death to allow for resurrection and rebirth? A death that we eventually came to see when Karsus made his mistake?

Lastly, on the methods of enhancing oneself to better comprehend the information within the Scrolls, is there still an ultimate limit to how much a mortal can handle even after continually "enhancing" themselves to increase their capacity? Will their sanity give out? Or is it a case of diminishing returns the higher they go? Ultimately how many of the Nether Scrolls could one possibly be able to comprehend and retain the knowledge of if going "all the way" in boosting their capacity? Is it even possible to fully retain all fifty (and not go insane) without being a divine being of some sort, or is the "final" threshold lower than that? Ed has mentioned that most will give out at around eight Scrolls, some as early as five.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  05:04:59  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message
Hope this isn't too soon, but...
THO, would you please speed this query off to Ed?

Ed, can you give us a date for the events which are described in Bury Elmnister Deep, "Chaper One, Kneeling to a Goddess"?

Brace Cormaeril

Edited by - Saer Cormaeril on 07 Jun 2011 05:05:52
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  12:38:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Barastir, weredragons were created by Ed before there was a D&D game, and were written up by him for 2e (in the pages of The DRAGON, I believe, but I might be misremembering).

Actually, my lady, they were first published in 1E -- specifically, Dragon 134, June 1988.

I'll check it out, I first read of them in the "Halls of the High King" sourcebook. Thank you both!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Saer Cormaeril, Chapter One of BURY ELMINSTER DEEP takes place RIGHT after the end of ELMINSTER MUST DIE! (the two books follow directly on from each other, and Ed tells me the third book in this current Elminster series will follow on, just as directly, the end of BURY).
Which means all three books take place in the spring of 1479 DR, The Year of the Ageless One.
I haven't yet read the second or third books, obviously, but if they are paced like the first one was, they will each cover a sequence of events taking place in less than a tenday. EL MUST DIE! opened with fairly clear dating (late-ish Mirtul, I think, though I'm away from my copy right now), so we'll eventually be able to figure out, accurately to within a day or two, each way, the timing of scenes in all three books.
Ed adds a caveat to all readers, regarding the events in that sample chapter:

Please bear in mind that jumping to conclusions involves leaps into the unknown.

Heh. Well said, Bearded Master. Fairly warned, fairly warned . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  19:54:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Eldacar, I bring you these words, from Ed:

Any of the Chosen of Mystra in the 1360s DR who desired to read the Nether Scrolls have done so. This includes Elminster and all of the Seven except Qilué.
<snip?

Was Qilué not interested in the scrolls or access not available? If access not available was it because of what she was doing or other reason?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  23:55:21  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Ed, I don't know I have asked this or not,
if I have then keep it off the pile. The description
of arcane fire for the archmage prestige class
saw raw magical energy. How does this square with
spellfire, the Weave, Mystra, and the ability of
raw magical energy frying a person trying to harness it.
I having trouble seeing arcane fire different from
spellfire, at least in the destructive attack part.
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  02:12:30  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message
Well met,

I've got a question about languages in the Realms. I've seen the same language called different things in different sourcebooks. For example, in the 3rd edition sourcebook, Races of Faerûn, the halflings are said to speak Halfling. However, in the story on Erevis Cale in The Halls of Stormweather, he shouts in "Lurienal, the halflings' tongue".

Is "Halfling" just what it's commonly called, with "Lurienal" its proper name? Or is Lurienal a dialect of the language?

Thanks!
- Cronje
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  13:28:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
No question, just wishing Ed a good time at PaizoCon from someone who wishes he could be there as well. Have fun!

Edit: Oh, and if you meet someone called Dennis Baker, could you give him a "Bork bork" or "Herdy herdy" in the manner of the Muppets' Swedish Chef from me?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 08 Jun 2011 13:32:49
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  14:59:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

No question, just wishing Ed a good time at PaizoCon from someone who wishes he could be there as well. Have fun!

Edit: Oh, and if you meet someone called Dennis Baker, could you give him a "Bork bork" or "Herdy herdy" in the manner of the Muppets' Swedish Chef from me?

And if you spot a bald-headed man named Sebastian... RUN! (j/k, he's a great guy)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  16:36:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Hi, all.
Kajehase, Ed says he'd be happy to (and I happen to know he does a mean Swedish Chef).

I also bring words from Ed, for Cronje, in regards to this: "Is "Halfling" just what it's commonly called, with "Lurienal" its proper name? Or is Lurienal a dialect of the language?"
Here's Ed:

Hi, Cronje. The tongue of halflings is commonly called "Halfling" by other races, and this isn't considered impolite by anyone. Sages and sticklers among humans will sometimes prefer "Hin" or "Hinspeech," but halflings find that amusingly outdated and pedantic. Among themselves, they refer to their language as "Gerult" (which means "The Talk"), and consider "Lurienal" the proper name of formal, 'correct' [as in: non-slang] Gerult. Not a dialect, but "proper English" (what Commonwealth real-world speakers sometimes call "the King's English" or "the Queen's English," meaning formal, polite, correct in all points of grammar and etiquette, with sentences structured to avoid possible misunderstandings. The language of treaties, in other words. (As well as being the form of halfling-speech used in the land of Lurien.)
There ARE regional dialectics among halflings, including Blaethur (spoken in Waterdeep and other cities up and down the Sword Coast, a rapidly-changing, "current" speech larded with human words and adopted expressions from many languages, that has many contractions and shortform substitute words [e.g. "draego" for "the day after this one if we're lucky, but probably later"]); Norarra (a soft, fluid, very-slowly-changing rural speech of the Heartlands and Moonsea, that can be contrasted with Luirenal as real-world Welsh can be contrasted to BBC English); and Haroor (a sharp, fast, staccato-delivery form of halfling known in Calimshan, the Tashalar, and the Border Kingdoms, that incorporates words from other languages, such as Common, with 'inverted commas' inflections around them).
This is a level of detail seldom put into printed Realmslore, because the wordcount is usually needed for more adventure-relevant details, but I putter away on such things from time to time. Hope this is of interest and help.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and still its foremost linguist.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  17:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'm suddenly struck by a halfling version of The Enlgishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain. Just how comprehensible are the various dialects with each other, and do halflings that speak a dialect also know the general language (like how German dialect speakers generally also know High German, and will switch to it for those who don't know the dialect)?

PS: And thanks, THO for the memories of early Shadowdale. If you have time in the future, I'd love any additional tidbits you can share.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  19:14:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, Ed tells me the dialects are readily understandable to all halflings, and all speakers of them also understand "general Halfling."
In other words, a hin traveling far from home will miss local allusions only (references to purely local events, people, jokes, and past events). Even unfamiliar words will 85% of the time be understandable by context.
So it would be more missing nuances than meanings.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  20:31:24  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
Way back in 2E, the Grand Patriarch of Oghma's church disappeared and we never learned his fate. Furthermore, Oghma never appointed a new Patriarch, which led to a heretical schism within his church.

With that in mind, here's my set of questions for Ed: whatever happened to Patriarch Kordamant? Or if NDAs don't allow an answer for that, how then can I understand Oghma's decision not to name a new Patriarch for 100+ years? What possible reasons could Oghma have for taking that long to name a successor, even if the time wasn't right for a reveal about Kordamant? As a DM, how do I explain the reaction of Oghma's faithful to this withholding of information? What are they (the orthodox, not the heretics) thinking in this case? How do they interpret Oghma's silence on these issues?

I'm totally flummoxed on this one. Please help!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 08 Jun 2011 20:35:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  04:52:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eltheron, Ed's hit the sack due to an early, early airport van pickup tomorrow morning to jaunt off to Seattle and be Guest of Honor at Paizocon. Ed usually falls e-silent during cons, and has informed me that this one will be no different. I'm away from home base on assignment right now, too, and I'm going to try to sneak over to the con and see him, though that's often impossible, so my replies may get spotty for the next few days, too.
However, I can START to give you some bits and pieces of an answer to your Oghma queries, myself:
Yes, there's NDA trouble, due to a never-published TSR-era Realms novel (not by Ed). The Grand Patriarch wasn't replaced by Oghma because he is still alive, and still Grand Patriarch (yes, even with all those years passing!) - - and that's all I can say (A) because of the NDA, and (B) because that's as much as I remember about this, and Ed will have to fill in the rest for us both.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  06:06:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Hi, all.
Kajehase, Ed says he'd be happy to (and I happen to know he does a mean Swedish Chef).

Tell him I said thanks.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  06:16:28  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Eltheron, Ed's hit the sack due to an early, early airport van pickup tomorrow morning to jaunt off to Seattle and be Guest of Honor at Paizocon. Ed usually falls e-silent during cons, and has informed me that this one will be no different. I'm away from home base on assignment right now, too, and I'm going to try to sneak over to the con and see him, though that's often impossible, so my replies may get spotty for the next few days, too.
However, I can START to give you some bits and pieces of an answer to your Oghma queries, myself:
Yes, there's NDA trouble, due to a never-published TSR-era Realms novel (not by Ed). The Grand Patriarch wasn't replaced by Oghma because he is still alive, and still Grand Patriarch (yes, even with all those years passing!) - - and that's all I can say (A) because of the NDA, and (B) because that's as much as I remember about this, and Ed will have to fill in the rest for us both.
love,
THO

Oooh, that's a tasty tidbit regardless of NDAs. Thanks!

Is it safe to ask whether or not Oghma's church knows that he's at least alive, or that Oghma said something like "the time is not yet right to know" to them? If so, that alone would make all my flummoxedness evaporate!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  12:07:21  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I’d like to know from Ed, and Lady Hooded if she knows, what the relationship is between (demi-) humanity and the Fey? Are there minor fey in the Realms like Brownies and Domovoi from folklore? Do common folk leave gifts for the fey, are there rituals to please the fey, or placate them? If so, do these rituals work?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  14:02:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
arry - Both brownies and domovoi have turned up in Realms-products; brownies in, for instance a WotC.com web-article with adventure locations, and there's a domovoi who befriends (or at least doesn't throw the samovar at) Liriel in Windwalker

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  20:07:54  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  09:14:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eltheron, I managed to contact Ed at Paizocon (where he's having a wonderful time) re. this: "Is it safe to ask whether or not Oghma's church knows that he's at least alive, or that Oghma said something like "the time is not yet right to know" to them? If so, that alone would make all my flummoxedness evaporate!"
Here's Ed's reply:

The church of Oghma DOESN'T know what happened to their Grand Patriarch, other than "he stands in the favor of Oghma." Which has been interpreted by some to mean he died heroically in service to the deity, by others that he was rewarded by being taken to another plane or into another body to continue to serve the god, and has led to a wild variety of other interpretations by yet other Oghmanites/Oghmanytes/Oghrann. All the priests alive today know is that their Grand Patriarch disappeared, and that the god does not desire them to appoint a new one. When some of the more ambitious upperpriests of the faith prayed to the deity for personal guidance re. running the church, one of them used the wording "tell us WHY we should not replace our Grand Patriarch who has fallen" and received a thunderous divine reply/rebuke: "Who hath told thee the Grand Patriarch is fallen?!?"
So that's where matters stand right now; hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who just finished signing literally hundreds of books in two hours, but thinks his hand won't fall off or event hurt tomorrow. He's becoming an old pro . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  09:46:36  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi Again,

one more question about the beloved greenskins.

In the FRCS 3,0 it says under the chapter Life in Faerun, in the "trade" entry as follows: "Even the fierce Goblin- / Goblinoid tribes of the cloven mountains trade quarried stone ( this must be a sight to see them doing ..... ) coal and iron with the human realms of the vilhon reach"
Can you share any more information on which tribes these might be or the Human realms which engage in such a trade in this area?

I would picture Erlkazar as a logic one, being quite isolated and "open minded" to Humanoids in general, and therefore using all the ressources they can get to be less independant from their former masters in the big western realms.

As always patiently looking forward to an answer.

Best regards
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  02:06:58  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Eltheron, I managed to contact Ed at Paizocon (where he's having a wonderful time) re. this: "Is it safe to ask whether or not Oghma's church knows that he's at least alive, or that Oghma said something like "the time is not yet right to know" to them? If so, that alone would make all my flummoxedness evaporate!"
Here's Ed's reply:

The church of Oghma DOESN'T know what happened to their Grand Patriarch, other than "he stands in the favor of Oghma." Which has been interpreted by some to mean he died heroically in service to the deity, by others that he was rewarded by being taken to another plane or into another body to continue to serve the god, and has led to a wild variety of other interpretations by yet other Oghmanites/Oghmanytes/Oghrann. All the priests alive today know is that their Grand Patriarch disappeared, and that the god does not desire them to appoint a new one. When some of the more ambitious upperpriests of the faith prayed to the deity for personal guidance re. running the church, one of them used the wording "tell us WHY we should not replace our Grand Patriarch who has fallen" and received a thunderous divine reply/rebuke: "Who hath told thee the Grand Patriarch is fallen?!?"
So that's where matters stand right now; hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who just finished signing literally hundreds of books in two hours, but thinks his hand won't fall off or event hurt tomorrow. He's becoming an old pro . . .
love,
THO

This has been very helpful, thanks very much! Please thank Ed for taking the time to answer, and thanks for asking him!

I also love the idea that Oghma has addressed the issue, just not in quite the clearest way for them, and that the clergy don't quite know what to do with what they've been told.

It does make me completely curious about the novel that didn't quite make it to publication. An Oghma-related novel would have been really fun to read.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  02:34:53  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all, Ed are their psionic nodes in faerun or on other planes OTHER than the far realms, have you invented or influenced any such creations officially first and if not, in your homebrew?

What and how did/do they manifest?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  07:56:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Is there a Phaerimm Chosen of Mystra? Given that Mystra is neutral in her treatment to magic-users, does she have a Chosen who is of evil alignment?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000