Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  19:59:23  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I'd send a bottle of wine to a WotCer to do it, though.

Questions about the Moonsea (circa 1350s)

1) Is Maos something that Ed created, or was that entirely John Terra?

2) I know the Moonsea has some pirates of its own, but is there any drift back and forth between the Moonsea and the Sea of Fallen Stars?

3) Markustay and I have been chatting about this one, but I want to ask Ed, as well. Was Hulburg (in the 14th century DR) on a river slightly upstream from the Moonsea or was it on the Moonsea, itself, just in a shallow bay (and thus the dot on the maps is misaligned)?

Thanks, as always!

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  20:01:20  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
A year ago I asked about Cormaerils of any repute from 1340. Ed was kind enough to give me some amazing details on Dasmer, Jlanesse, and Barkorm. I was wondering if he could move them forward to the 1350s? Which are alive, which are not? What's happened for them inbetween?
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  20:52:02  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message
This is my first question for Ed, and I would like to thank him ever so much for the Realms!

Which subspecies of elf did High Mage of Silverymoon Ederan Nharimlur belong to, and, less importantly, does the colour of his fur (after that famous mishap with the find familiar spell) reflect the colour of his skin (gold elf > gold fur) or that of the cat's fur?

Thank you very much in advance!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  01:27:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

2) I know the Moonsea has some pirates of its own, but is there any drift back and forth between the Moonsea and the Sea of Fallen Stars?
Ed will likely answer this more elaborately, but I will note that Sea of Fallen Stars does have some info on this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  02:04:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is deep in writing the next Elminster novel right now, but gave me some "quickie" replies to pass on (he'll elaborate on them when he has time), so as not to keep scribes waiting.

Thieran, Ed says you're very welcome, and that Nharimlur was a moon elf. Neither he nor the cat had golden or near-golden hair or fur, the spell mishap did that. Most Silvaeren elves are moon elves, though there are at least twenty sun elf families resident in Silverymoon (most of them get along very well with non-elves and other sorts of elves, or they wouldn't reside in the Gem of the North, though certain individuals can be as haughty as sun elves are "all said to be" by many folk in the wider Realms).

Rhewtani, there is SOME pirate "drift back and forth between the Moonsea and the Sea of Fallen Stars," but see Ed's posts about the River Lis to see a hampering factor.
Also, the very first Hulburg was a small, simple port and careening area (tidal sandy beach). Severe storms wiped it out, whereupon the second Hulberg was built a little way up a river (as some of the published maps have it). Attacked repeatedly over the years by orcs and raiding hobgoblins and "beast-men" (ogres), that was eventually abandoned and fell into ruins (as mentioned in canon lore).
A third Hulburg was more recently built as a (small and rather poor, for ship-shelter-in-storm purposes) port, and was rebuilt (see Rich Baker's recent trilogy) when circumstances made a better port possible.
Also, Ed LOVES your Cormaeril update query, and will address it when he can.

Zireael, Ed says: "Hang in there! I'll get to replies when I can. Some are easy, others take longer if I have to check my notes, or (takes longer) check with someone else for approval/lore corroboration. I'll get to them all, unless I die first. Promise."

And that's the latest from the Old Storyteller himself. Who would like to remind fiction readers that his male characters take their clothes off every bit as often, if not more often, than the females. He's puzzled as to why you never comment or complain about THAT.
Heh. I haven't had the heart yet to remind him that editors wipe out those mentions even more often than they do for the femmes. (I wonder why. I KNOW many of Ed's editors are gals.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  02:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Great Lady,
I have a PC who has made the strangest request yet of me as a DM, and I'd welcome Ed's comments if he may provide them. My PC wants her character to be "the first elf on the moon" and is setting out to do so via some form of teleport or limited wish. Is there any lore that can be shared about walking on the surface of Selūne such as gravity, atmosphere, any problems with magic, et cetera? I have misplaced my SpellJammer boxed set, although I'm not certain it mentions Selūne within its pages. My goal is to avoid any major conflicts with canon while still providing a good game-play experience.

As Ed cannot discuss the Tears, I've decided that all attempts to translocate to them are blocked by the goddess Selūne herself for reasons only she knows.

Thankee in advance, milday.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  03:36:26  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
There's a whole chapter about it in the Realmspace sourcebook, plus there's that Undermountain Stardock adventure. I believe Stardock was on the free download list if anyone knows the link still?

We do know there was/is a whole settlement of Leira worshipers on Selune and they've always been afraid that Toril would invade them.

quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Great Lady,
I have a PC who has made the strangest request yet of me as a DM, and I'd welcome Ed's comments if he may provide them. My PC wants her character to be "the first elf on the moon" and is setting out to do so via some form of teleport or limited wish. Is there any lore that can be shared about walking on the surface of Selūne such as gravity, atmosphere, any problems with magic, et cetera? I have misplaced my SpellJammer boxed set, although I'm not certain it mentions Selūne within its pages. My goal is to avoid any major conflicts with canon while still providing a good game-play experience.

As Ed cannot discuss the Tears, I've decided that all attempts to translocate to them are blocked by the goddess Selūne herself for reasons only she knows.

Thankee in advance, milday.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  04:34:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There's a whole chapter about it in the Realmspace sourcebook, plus there's that Undermountain Stardock adventure. I believe Stardock was on the free download list if anyone knows the link still?
See here:- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9538.zip
quote:
We do know there was/is a whole settlement of Leira worshipers on Selune and they've always been afraid that Toril would invade them.
Indeed, there are people living on Selune.

Among them... humans, elves, and a significant settlement of Leiran faithful. Actually, they'd likely former faithful now given her 'dead' status. There are other races also. See the Realmspace sourcebook and the details for Selune at the spelljammer.org website.

I'll also note that an illusion crafted by Leira herself once made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape. I say "once made" because, with the death of Leira, and from apparent details in the "Countdown to the Realms" articles, we now know the illusion has fallen.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  05:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Didn't Cyric absorb all of Leira's faithful? Thanks for the replies, all.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  05:47:32  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Didn't Cyric absorb all of Leira's faithful?

For the most part, though it's been noted that some of Leira's faithful refuse to accept that she's dead, and thus continue to offer prayers in her name.

As for how that relates to the illusion, I'd say that, until we hear otherwise, Leira's illusion simply isn't what it used to be.

It may be that it has decayed somewhat, since with Leira herself now gone, the worshippers have nothing to pray to in order to continue benefiting from Leira's "gift."

Cyric taking on the illusion is an interesting prospect, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time. Though, I'd imagine he's only doing this because he feels he can eventually turn this sizable portion of Leira-worshippers to him and increase his power beyond Toril itself.

As an aside, I recall some hypothetical mental meanderings between George Krashos and Steven Schend back in 2005 that basically posited the idea that Leira was still around and secretly allied with Mask. Their aim: to steal control of the Shadow Weave from Shar who they've been running as their dupe for a while now.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  15:17:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. As many helpful scribes have pointed out, Azuth, your player's elf can't be "the first elf on the moon." Unless she somehow goes way, way back in time.
In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer), and there's abundant forest wildlife (accent on the "wild"), with settlement taking the form of meandering roads linking small "clearing" farms and hamlets.
Now, that's not to say she can't try to be "the first elf on the moon" . . . and get a REAL surprise when she arrives there.
Long ago, Ed suggested to the RPGA (of which he's a Charter Lifetime Member) that the moon be a "relief valve" for any Realms campaign, a place where a DM located commerical-published adventures they wanted to run, that didn't "fit" with the campaign they'd developed, if they wanted to avoid a long trip across the face of Faerun to a spot where the misfit adventure seemed "best located."
PC dreams should be striven for, just as real-life dreams. They don't always work out, but life IS the striving. So I'd say "go for it," and see what happens.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. As many helpful scribes have pointed out, Azuth, your player's elf can't be "the first elf on the moon." Unless she somehow goes way, way back in time.
In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer), and there's abundant forest wildlife (accent on the "wild"), with settlement taking the form of meandering roads linking small "clearing" farms and hamlets.
Now, that's not to say she can't try to be "the first elf on the moon" . . . and get a REAL surprise when she arrives there.
Long ago, Ed suggested to the RPGA (of which he's a Charter Lifetime Member) that the moon be a "relief valve" for any Realms campaign, a place where a DM located commerical-published adventures they wanted to run, that didn't "fit" with the campaign they'd developed, if they wanted to avoid a long trip across the face of Faerun to a spot where the misfit adventure seemed "best located."
PC dreams should be striven for, just as real-life dreams. They don't always work out, but life IS the striving. So I'd say "go for it," and see what happens.
love,
THO

Fantastic! I'm all for shock value, too. I suspect it shall be months before the party discerns exactly how they're going to make their "moon shot" and having an already-colonized Selūne awaiting them will be excellent! Thank you fellow scribes, and of course, Lady THO.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
Greetings Great Greenwood.
In Volo's Guide to the North, it is mentioned that a group of elves fought and slayed Grintharje, a balor tanar'ri who ruled tue keep for centuries.
What would be the identity of these elves (names, possible class, etc...)??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Greetings Great Greenwood.
In Volo's Guide to the North, it is mentioned that a group of elves fought and slayed Grintharje, a balor tanar'ri who ruled tue keep for centuries.
What would be the identity of these elves (names, possible class, etc...)??

Also, I don't have the Hellgate Keep adventure module handy with me (or The North boxed set), but just to clarify (another scribe might know this), but did this battle occur while the Keep itself was still standing (I forget the exact year the aboveground portion crumbled or exploded or what have you)? Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  17:28:04  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message
Dear THO, dear Ed, I am very grateful for the quick and informative reply!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  02:23:59  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
So are the star elves from the moon?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  02:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'm going to prevail upon fair use and post the two relevant paragraphs from Hellgate Keep, since it's really too good a story not to share:

quote:
Just after the start of the Year of the Wave (1364 DR), the Keep's patrols captured seven Evereskan elves spying on the citadel and brought them to Grintharke. The bored balor decided after 17 months of thoroughly interrogating (in other words, despicably torturing) the elves to allow himself a chance at play. He faced all seven elves in his personal gladiatorial arena. They were allowed to fight him fully armed with their own weaponry, for none in the Keep felt they stood a chance against Grintharke (especially since none of the tanar'ri in the Keep could face him themselves). Once the elves were revived from their drugged states, they sprung their trap. As Grintharke and none of the other tanar'ri were familiar with the Shattering Swords of Coronal Ynloeth, they could not have known what dangerous items Grintharke's foes wielded against him. The balor stood firm, toying with the elves and striking to wound to prolong his foul playtime. When one elf finally brought the Shattering Swords together, the blades exploded in a flurry of razor-sharp shards that immediately engulfed the wielder and then descended on the balor. While any other foe would have died instantly, flesh stripped from bone by the shard swarm, Grintharke's toughened flesh and magic resistance actually allowed him to survive for a whole minute before expiring. In that time, he managed to draw at least three of his elven foes into the swarm with him and witness their deaths before his own.

With the fall of Grintharke, the four remaining elves sought to destroy as many of the tanar'ri commanders of the Keep as possible while they stood in shock around the arena. Though the elves only survived a few minutes beyond Grintharke, they managed to destroy Grintharke's vrock second-in-command, the only tanar'ri capable of controlling the other greater and true tanar'ri.

Those are some seriously brave elves....

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 20 Apr 2011 02:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29637 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  03:30:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

If there is a connection there, it's not yet been mentioned in Realmslore.

The lore about Leira-worshippers living on the moon is canon, but I've aways felt it was a bit awkward... I love the Realmspace supplement from a Spelljammer standpoint (that's where that lore first appeared), but I have issues with it from a purely FR standpoint.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29637 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  03:32:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Did the Knights or the Crazed Venturers ever make it there?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  04:56:32  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Given the extra-dimensional nature of the star elves, I don't think that's too much of a stretch, but it's nothing that's been made official.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  04:57:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Are these "farms and hamlets" similar to what we'd find on Toril, or something different?

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  20:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Dear THO, I have a question to aim your way. I've been rereading the Shadowdale supplement from the old 2e Revised box set, nodding to myself about how it works wonders as a home base for adventurers. No surprise there, considering that the Knights are just such a group. But it got me thinking about what it was like before the time period of the setting.

Can you share some memories of how Shadowdale was when the Knights first arrived? When was their first visit, what was it like, who was in charge, how many wenches did Torm seduce, that sort of thing. I've got a pretty good idea of what was happening in the Dale, but less so of exactly when the Knights showed up, and when they started to take a serious interest in the place as opposed to just use it as a stop-over. I'd be interested in hearing as much as you care to share.

Thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  20:33:26  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer)

So does that mean the moon, when viewed from Toril, is green? Iow can those forests be seen?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  21:19:25  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
SHHHH guys, I'm trying to get a NDA out of the old man.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  21:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
gomez, I think THO means that's what the forests look like when you're on the moon. As, in being there is how you can see them.
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000