Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  10:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Hi Ed/ THO,

How does Ed see Mystra? Good, evil or neutral?
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  12:52:31  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Given that Mystra is neutral in her treatment to magic-users, does she have a Chosen who is of evil alignment?

Ed has replied regarding evil Chosen before - if you dig through his archived replies you'll probably turn up a few hits. The gist of it, as I recall, was that yes, she has had evil Chosen, though he's NDA-ed (see what I did there?) from saying exactly when, where and who, but generally tends towards good ones because evil Chosen have a habit of hoarding more and more power to themselves, rather than spreading it out to further the use of magic ("Lady Mystra, they're not yet ready, they need more time to learn before I can responsibly give them the magic!" "That's what you said ten years ago, when WILL they be ready?!").

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  10:09:46  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Good Afternoon to Mr.Greenwood(considering where i live, afternoon is very apt) I would just like to ask, concerning necromancers, will there ever be a novel dedicated to a necromancer or a wizard who dabbles and then is sucked into the dark world of necromancy, finally trying to achieve lichdom as a final goal, i mean it would be nice to read about such a character, he would certainly be very colourful. Thank you for your time, sincerely Xar Zarath.

P.S I try playing DND but the books are quite expensive here, and i have no one to play with.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  19:48:22  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Ed what would one see if withina bag of holding, what could one "THINK" they could do safetly within a bag of holding and what would be safe and unsafe?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  04:07:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is back home from Paizocon, which he VERY much enjoyed, and back "on the job." When he received my latest e-mail of posts in this forum, he came right back with a reply to Dennis, re. this: "Hi, Ed! Is there a Phaerimm Chosen of Mystra? Given that Mystra is neutral in her treatment to magic-users, does she have a Chosen who is of evil alignment?"
Ed replies:

To your first query: NDA. To your second: she has had many. Including some familiar-to-many Realms characters that "no one yet knows" (except, in some cases, WotC staffers or TSR ex-staffers who read my 1986 Realms turnovers or players in my "home" Realms campaign) are Chosen.
And to you and Arcanus: be careful in all assumptions re. the alignment of deities. Not only can alignments shift over time, the notion of alignments applies poorly to many deities - - because divine beings can be partially beyond the comprehension of mortals (who are, after all, almost always sharply limited in what they really know about a god or goddess).
Eldacar's recent post is "right on" regarding Mystra's evil Chosen, and their hoarding-magic "human nature" tendencies, which if followed place them in direct opposition to Mystra's main aim (of spreading magic to everyone, and making magic ever-greater and in ever-greater use).

Ed also added this, for arry:

Yes, there are many minor fey present in the Realms. They are entreated/appeased (and rarely, fought) by humans on a purely local level, their presence usually being kept almost secret from "outlanders" and even folk from villages beyond a day's ride away. Or to put it another way, they are considered "spirits of this place"/"the land" rather than a race or unified citizenry/power group (unlike the orcs or even treants).

So saith Ed. Who has mysteries galore up his sleeves, and intends to go on writing about them for years, without ever running out of his plentiful supply.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  08:54:09  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message
As THO likes to remind me, my 20 year love affair with the Realms has more often than not lead me to conclusions about the Realms that are 'off'.

Ed, can you please clarify something for me? I have always been under the impression that Mystra would prefer that the Art was used to, in the long run, help generate peace and prosperity in Faerun. Is this incorrect?

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  11:53:06  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
A great big kiss to kind Lady Hooded :) (I'd give Ed a kiss too, but only if he shaves ;) )
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  12:32:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Ed and THO!

A follow-up:

Does Mystra in a way share the portfolios of Destruction and Chaos with Talos and Lloth? She supports both evil and goodly magic. When evil wizards fight the goodly ones, destruction and chaos usually ensue.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  16:04:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring a reply from Ed of the Greenwood, to this from Saer Cormaeril: "Ed, can you please clarify something for me? I have always been under the impression that Mystra would prefer that the Art was used to, in the long run, help generate peace and prosperity in Faerun. Is this incorrect?"
Ed replies:

Mystra CERTAINLY prefers that the Art is used to in the long run, help generate peace and prosperity in Faerűn.
Not only does She firmly believe that stable social conditions with a goodly amount of personal freedom, bolstered and made possible by peace and prosperity, make for the best environment in which the maximum number of beings can further their personal mastery of magic, use magic in a daily breadwinning sense (and so enhance possibilities for development of non-battle-magic as opposed to more and more "blasting" spells), and have the time, opportunity, and relatively unfettered (as opposed to wartime) access to resources/ingredients/components/apparatus with which to experiment and be creative in developing new spells and magical processes . . . she also believes that more individuals who hate or fear the Art because they have no gift for working with it and see those who do as potential/actual oppressors, will soften into support of the Art, however grudging, if they see magic (in the hands of many, as opposed to a few tyrants) as bolstering, causing, or maintaining peace and prosperity. (For one thing, if the average saer in the street sees a personal benefit from cheap and plentiful spellcasting, and gets a lot more daily exposure to magic and its casters, familiarity will allay some of the fears, and quell some of the wilder rumours, about magic.)
In other words, magic-aided peace and prosperity creates conditions for a snowballing effect of deepening itself, leading to more peace and prosperity and more magic, AND increases a "buy in" from others who see the benefits of peace and prosperity.
More than this, Mystra sees peace and prosperity as a natural human desire, a goal to be fought for, and a clear reward for embracing her chief aim of "more magic for all."
The different Mystras have approached this goal in different ways, down the years, although there is increasing evidence that "being Mystra" does, over time, shape each wearer of that partiular divine mantle to behave and think in certain ways (some of which are seen by some mortals as "divine hubris").
I must caution again that mortals cannot clearly see the entirety of any divine being's nature, thoughts, and condition, and one must be VERY cautious about saying things along the lines of "this particular act or speech doesn't fit with that stated alignment," or some such. As any librarian knows, classification systems are all imperfect at best. For gods, they define observed tendencies and self-proclaimed adherences, more than any consistent reality.

So saith Ed. Being wordy so as to curtail, as much as possible, misinterpretations of what he's saying here.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  16:19:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody. And this from Ed, to Dennis, re. this: "Does Mystra in a way share the portfolios of Destruction and Chaos with Talos and Lloth? She supports both evil and goodly magic. When evil wizards fight the goodly ones, destruction and chaos usually ensue."
Ed replies:

True, but EVERY god shares every portfolio in this particular "way" you refer to (gods fight each other, so that supports Tempus, and if one kills another, that supports one or all death deities, and so on).
When I first introduced the concept of divine portfolios into the D&D game (the idea was ages-old, but I'm afraid that using the word "portfolios" and putting it formally into D&D was my fault), it was a mortal shorthand to describe the MAJOR interest(s) and dominance over a particular field or element of life of a deity. In other words, Tempus is Lord of Battles, but many deities concern themselves with warfare in more minor ways...and to a particular mortal, on the ground in the middle of a particular fight, the involvement of, say, Chauntea in that fight (say, over a boundary between farms, or over shared use of a watering-hole or well) might seem a whole lot stronger and more present than that of Tempus.
So, yes, "in a way" Mystra DOES share the portfolios of Destruction and Chaos with Talos and Lolth/Lloth - - BUT almost every deity shares in almost every portfolio in this manner, and so for purposes of discussion such involvement "cancels out" and isn't usually mentioned by mortals (except in theological debates among sages and within temples). A portfolio is meant to describe, for mortals, the primary (or one of a few main) goal, interest, or aim of a deity. Mystra's portfolio, however expressed, is centered on magic, and its ever-wider use, NOT on Destruction and Chaos. As I said earlier in my reply to Saer Cormaeril, Mystra prefers peace and prosperity as conditions for encouraging/fostering more widespread and frequent magic use (and development of magic, which in turn will make it more useful in a daily sense and hence better used), not destruction or chaos. Destruction is often caused by magic use, and may in some cases be necessary as a step in settling disputes/creating future peace, but that doesn't make it a goal for Mystra or a portfolio she meaningfully shares in.
I hope this helps in clarifying away some confusion.

So saith Ed. Opining like fury in his brief available time ere plunging right back into the constant stream of waiting writing projects...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  18:55:26  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed are slaves marked/branded in any manner in Calimshan region, in 1370 period would one know person was a slave on sight if transplanted to the N
orth or even Scornubel area?
To what length and distance would Escaped slaves be sought if stolen from slavers as opposed to owners as opposed to nobles or Pasha himself?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  19:03:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Second question, can you speak on some of the most feared fiends in your brew, fiends that were similar to adventurers and wreaked or continue to wreak considerable havoc pre-spellplague?

Basically fiends sought out to handle a wide range of situations, James Bond or Miyamoto Musashi type fiends.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  03:00:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Again, thanks Ed and THO! It sure did clear some confusion. But I have one more follow-up:

Is this "unintentional" sharing of portfolios enough to ensure a deity's (be it greater or lesser) survival even without having a clergy? Say, all of Lloth's priestesses abandoned her for some other deity; but wizards (whether they worship Mystra or not) fight to gain dominion, settle disputes, or simply spread chaos. Are those acts, coupled with many other races' and organizations' similar deeds that cause chaos, enough to strengthen, or at the very least, prevent Lloth from becoming weak?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  03:37:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Dennis, I bring you Ed's very swift reply to your post directly above this one:

No, the portfolio overlap/unofficial sharing isn't enough to ensure a deity's survival without clergy.
However, several other factors are.
Meaning: YES, most deities who wind up without clergy at a particular time CAN survive until they can send visions enough to/cause "miracles" enough witnessed by their intended new clerical recruits, to refound a clergy.
The ways in which they survive are NDA'd in at least 2 cases, and I'll have to check on some of the other ways, but here's the obvious one that I don't need to "clear" with Wizards: in a world where mortal belief is enough to sustain a god as an entity (even if no longer "divine" in powers or prominence), it's very difficult to entirely eradicate a divine being, because there's always SOMEONE who "believes" in them. And a fading deity will zero in on those someones, and "appear to them" and give guidance and boons and aid, to bolster such belief, with an eye to rekindling their faith.
Note that in some cases, this rebuilding takes centuries or more. So a mortal PC adventurer can bask in "destroying an evil god forever" . . . and go to their grave never knowing that the god will rise again, centuries later.
I can't say more without clearing some permissions first, and that may take a LONG time (because in the current hectic WotC publishing situation, there are more current, pressing projects already on the table).

So saith Ed. Who is probably hard at work right now on some of those projects.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  04:11:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Wow, that was really fast. Thank you, Ed and THO. (No more follow-ups this time.)

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  09:44:48  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Good Afternoon to Mr.Greenwood(considering where i live, afternoon is very apt) I would just like to ask, concerning necromancers, will there ever be a novel dedicated to a necromancer or a wizard who dabbles and then is sucked into the dark world of necromancy, finally trying to achieve lichdom as a final goal, i mean it would be nice to read about such a character, he would certainly be very colourful. Thank you for your time, sincerely Xar Zarath.

P.S I try playing DND but the books are quite expensive here, and i have no one to play with.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

thebaron
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  15:29:34  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message
have enjoyed forgotten realms for many years and started a new one recently. Did a little research on the subject here and elsewhere, but wondered if Ed could enlighten us on:

A few things that would nice to have further information on Clan Starym: very early history(Crown Wars), heraldry, etc. Have a member of the clan wishing to redeem his family's black marks in the party and only a few references to them are found even if they did their best to stop Myth Drannor from happening...

The Wyrmskull Throne (possible) recovery from the Sea of Fallen Stars brings an interesting thought: the potential effect on the Realms being returned to the realms have many thousands of years after the fall of those Dwarven nations if it returns to Dwarven hands as a new and now present symbol of the past glories of their race. I had a few thoughts, but looking for more thoughts on the matter. Any interesting tidbits of Shanatar (any age), Illefarn, or other dwarven lore would be handy as well.

Thanks for his precious time on these subjects.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  16:08:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Re. this, from createvmind: "Ed are slaves marked/branded in any manner in Calimshan region, in 1370 period would one know person was a slave on sight if transplanted to the North or even Scornubel area? To what length and distance would Escaped slaves be sought if stolen from slavers as opposed to owners as opposed to nobles or Pasha himself?"
Ed replies:

SOME slaves are branded, but usually only those who are ugly/disfigured upon capture/purchase, because there's a premium price for unblemished, good-looking slaves (and in certain end markets, buyers prefer slaves who can be passed off as free citizens "helping out" because they revere or owe those they're helping, or as employees, rather than slaves). So only a few slaves would be known on sight (brands are usually on the just-rear -of-side left thigh for slaves who'll customarily be unclad, on the front left shoulder, or - - for slaves whose appearance doesn't matter, or who are considered expendable, such as those intended to fight beasts for sport, on the forehead. A VERY few slaves are obvious from their mutilations, such as slaves who escaped in Calaunt but were recaptured, because they have often had their noses cut off.
Slavers don't as a rule pursue escaped slaves all that far and go to much trouble over them, as a matter of simple economics. They DO go to great lengths to kill or enslave persons known to have assisted or hidden escaped slaves, or anyone trying to resell stolen slaves within a city, market, or other relatively small area, to discourage general "resistance" to the current code of behaviour within the slaving industry. But a handful of slaves who escape while being marched in coffles or "long-lines" (both secured around the neck, BTW) in dangerous or wilderland-with-much-cover territory or difficult terrain would usually NOT be chased; it just isn't worth it, and some "shrinkage of cargo" is expected and allowed for (i.e. they "take" extra slaves, knowing some will die or be injured and have to be left behind to fend for themselves, on any long journey to markets.
This, as you allude, differs from cases where slaves get away from rulers and other authorities, and must be "made an example of" to preserve reputation or deter general defiance.
Brutal subjects to be discussed, but like all other lore, always worth making clear.

So saith Ed. Who wants thebaron to know that a lot of House Starym lore is NDA'd, but he should be able to dig up the detailed heraldry (the Starym are Ed's creation, and I vaguely remember a badge that looked like a horizontal inverted dark crescent crossed by a vertical dark blade, the crescent being studded with a scattering of bright stars...but Ed will be able to provide a LOT more specific detail) in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  23:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Thank you for the reply

So saith Kev. Who sees big changes for the lady of magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2011 :  21:09:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Arcanus, you're very welcome. Ed sees Mystra, on balance, as neutral, as follows (here follow the words of Ed himself):

Mystra doesn't seek to shut out or favour entire races or kingdoms or regions or particular power groups in their access to ever-greater magic. She doesn't "play favourites." (Those who protest that the Chosen are her favourites have missed the point: they are her AGENTS rather than a "side" among conflicting mortal power groups.)
Mystra does tend to foment rivalries between ambitious or evil mages, because it causes them to work harder at the creative side of magic, and she does tend to more freely disseminate magic among good-aligned casters who cooperate with others (because they will tend to spread magic more swiftly and freely).
Mystra wants all races using more and more magic; to her, this is a desirable goal. So is peace, purely because it causes the deaths of fewer magic-using creatures than war. (Others may see these as "good" goals and they may well be...or may not. Even a kind, benevolent Mystra may be weakening or even dooming races by causing them to rely increasingly on magic and not, say, their thews. Only time will tell.
It is tempting for a given mortal (both beings in the Realms and scribes here at the Keep) to view individual acts of Mystra in the light of their own personal definitions of good or evil and try to label Mystra in terms of alignment (or say that she's mislabeled in her official alignments, or defies the alignment system). However, this is short-sighted; her impact and pattern of activity can only be viewed over the long run, and HER OWN view of what she's trying to do is even-handed and neutral (and alignment is a description of a particular being's world-view and approach to life, the reasons behind a pattern of acts rather than a list of "dos" and "don'ts". . . at least it was according to Gary Gygax, who created alignment as part of the D&D game, because he and I and some other 'old hand" grognards had a long discussion about this, years and years ago).
If I was a Knight of Myth Drannor, I would probably describe Mystra as "neutral with good tendencies" - - but if I was a Zhentarim, I'd probably say she was "neutral tempered with ruthless dislike of some," and if I was a priest of Torm or Helm, I'd say she was "neutral; for if she favoured good, she'd not have suffered the Zhents or Red Wizards to flourish as they did; and if she favoured evil, competing renegade magelords would rule most of the Realms, mustering dragons and worse as allies in an endless struggle to rule us all."
Mortals seeking to judge a particular divine act as "in character" or "right" for a deity are playing themselves for fools from the start, because it's very rare (to unheard of) for any mortal to understand the deity, the various motivations and factors weighing into the deity's decisions, and the situation in which the act is being performed sufficiently well to properly judge the act. Or to put it more simply, "most gods are beyond the understanding of most mortals, almost all of the time." (Which is why, after all, some mortals suffer others to carry on careers as priests.)

So saith Ed. Who has thought through all this stuff, back in the 1970s if not earlier. Controversies rise and rage anew about godly alignments and such with each new generation of gamers...but that doesn't mean all of this hasn't been thought about before.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2011 :  21:26:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And hello again, everyone.
This time I bring the first part of Ed's answer to thebaron about House Starym, much of the rest of it being delayed by NDAs for now:

House Starym has always been a proud, influential, "let's DO things" family who believed that elves are best suited to rule the Realms as they please because they are the most versatile, creative, artistic, far-sighted, intelligent race, and not "corrupted by gold and the earth itself" (as dwarves are) or "governed by bloodlust and selfishness and the glee of wanton destruction" (as humans are). Individual Starym have been very wise, wealthy, diplomatic, and competent as leaders in battle, but the stereotype of the family that's developed among other elves (and leaked to other races) is of overweening pride, haughtiness that overrides all else.
Down the years, House Starym has used a great variety of blazons, both personal and family, but the two most popular House badges (worn by retainers and warriors attached to the House) are as follows:
• "The Glory" : silver field or shield, with a horns-down dark purple or black crescent moon in its upper third, bisected by a slender, hilt-down and point-up slender vertical black swordblade (edged with a thin line of silver), the hilt extending well below the crescent and the point reaching just above it, with nineteen small silver "longpoint" (that is, longest rays are vertical, second-longest are horizontal, other rays smaller) stars scattered randomly across the crescent. (Nineteen representing the nineteen brothers and cousins of the family at the self-proclaimed time of House Starym rising to "rightfully" dominate elven affairs.)
• "The Gard": black crescent moon, horns-down and with a line of six equal-sized longpoint stars (representing the six major branches of the family in later centuries) along its uppermost curve, three on either side of the "gard" itself, which is a vertical silver double-bladed dagger bisecting the crescent. The gard has a point at the bottom and another at the top, and flares slowly from both of them to form an elongated diamond - - except that where the widest part of the diamond should be (in the center of its crossing of the crescent), two opposed, back-to-back semicircular "bites" cut into the diamond, representing the hilt of this mythic weapon (which represents the vigilance of the Starym against foes anywhere, within its ranks and race and without).
Black, silver, stars, and crescent moons are recurring devices in Starym blazonry, but individual arms and simplified badges may be far different from these two most popular examples. However, almost all elves of any community the Starym have dwelt in, and ALL Starym, will recognize the Glory and the Gard for what they are, even if they've never used either badge themselves.

So saith Ed. Master Herald of the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  07:35:44  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

House Starym has always been a proud, influential, "let's DO things" family who believed that elves are best suited to rule the Realms as they please because they are the most versatile, creative, artistic, far-sighted, intelligent race, and not "corrupted by gold and the earth itself" (as dwarves are) or "governed by bloodlust and selfishness and the glee of wanton destruction" (as humans are).

I'm curious. What is the Starym impression of races other than elves, dwarves and humans? I'd be very interested in finding out, though for the sake of brevity, perhaps just their opinion on gnomes, halflings, half-elves (presumably negative, but I'll include it anyway), dragons and aasimar (or similar otherworldly races, like those touched with fey blood, half-elementals and so on).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  17:51:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Eldacar.
This swift partial reply from Ed:

Like all families, the Starym aren't monolithic in their outlook, and each younger generation repudiates some of what their elders teach them and believe in (while at the same time being heavily influenced by it). However, in general (like all stereotypes, these may fall down entirely when applied to specific Starym individuals, and specific members of the races I mention here), the Starym think of dragons as noble but flawed, worthy of study to learn from their failings and their might and magical nature. The Starym consider half-elves to be the undesirable, degenerate result of "elven weakness" who are best used as expendable pawns, and not encouraged to breed or persist as a "people." They will work with them, but never willingly breed with them.
Gnomes and halflings are seen by the Starym as very much alike: half-witted but useful (as engineers, crafters-of-gadgets, and agile, good-at-climbing-and-baking, and for nasty, dity jobs) potential servants, who have their place in the Realms, but should not be trusted underfoot in matters of true import (i.e. trade with them, use them as servants, but they should dwell apart from us). Otherworldly beings are similarly mistrusted but also viewed as interesting for their potential powers and connections (some Starym even advocate deliberate breeding of captive or servant beings, to exploit the resulting offspring as "purpose-made" servants/slaves).
Again, I stress that this is a stereotype; individual Starym may not hold such views. House Starym are often seen as the very "worst" sort of racist, elitist, sneering-down-at-all-others elves, and SOME Starym play this role to the hilt, but only a VERY FEW don't recognize that it is a role they are choosing to adopt, as opposed to "the truth, the rightful way of things." A few younger Starym are disgusted by this role and family members who promote it; most such individuals depart the family and take other names.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Starym, who has told us several untold tales involving Starym that would make GREAT stories, if he ever wrote them down.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

thebaron
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  16:09:09  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

...And hello again, everyone.
This time I bring the first part of Ed's answer to thebaron about House Starym, much of the rest of it being delayed by NDAs for now:

House Starym has always been a proud...

Thank you very much for the information on the Starym. They seemed to have fallen off the radar other than in references in Eldreth Veluuthra. I remember a book mentioned that a Starym moonblade was lost in the woods somewhere as well. Do they have a presence on Evermeet (the book was silent on that)? Where else do they still have homes and what branches did they have? It was interesting that they have a mix of moon and gold elf bloodlines... Would not being trying to bend light around the NDA ;)

When I asked about the dwarven questions, here is a little bit of background on that:

Just finished the Wyrmthrone module and one of the party members is a bastard son of a certain duerger king; who's shield dwarf mother escaped captivity before his birth. Grandfather moved to a new distant mining colony to keep the family name from being blemish any further. Player came up with the idea that his last name would be Blackstone to mean "no one" or "no family". Of course, the player/character had no idea who the father was other than a name that his mother would cry out in nightmares. That name brought silence to the room that a dropped pin could be heard, since he was a racial secret. After the sea elf was dispatched by a mad dwarf and party, Dumathoin collected the throne until he recovered the rest of the scepters using his NPC cleric as a messenger (and to kill his father and any brothers once that secret comes to light). The prince who knows the bloodline tidbit ended up being plane shifted as well as one of the NPC characters that was gained through a deck of many things (lucky dogs picked out all the good cards, minus one from a real card deck).

Edited by - thebaron on 20 Jun 2011 20:46:46
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  00:05:12  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Did Edeverhave or intend to have a place in Faerun where vampires tended to group together and live? As in having lands and castles, etc
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  01:26:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I'd say pretty much anywhere they please- as long as they can get away with it. Ed may have other ideas. I'd be interested to see if there were any "vampire-ruled" lands, though.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  01:40:00  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I really like Sylvania in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, which is ruled by vampires, or less. So, everyone knowing my vampire obsession, I waw wonderng if there was one silar.
Go to Top of Page

Samnell
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  01:46:54  Show Profile Send Samnell a Private Message
Hello Ed and The Hooded One.

First time questioner here so I would be remiss not to thank you for the many hours of enjoyment the Realms has brought me and my players over the years and for the time and effort the both of you spend answering questions here.

I am in the early stages of cobbling together a campaign centered around a party of loreseekers in the employ of scholars in Silverymoon, set in the year or so before the Time of Troubles.

My current intent is to affiliate the group with the local institutions of learning which could then send them out on fact-finding, map-making, inscription-copying, artifact-finding, and other such missions all around the North and perhaps to places farther abroad to get them into plenty of trouble for everyone's enjoyment. Hopefully as things go on they would notice odd commonalities in the jobs they receive or don't receive from a variety of patrons and gradually become more self-directed, open-ended and perhaps skeptical of several of their benefactors. I suppose I'm making a go at the old mysteries within mysteries concept, seeing what the players are more interested in and leaping upon it to spin off new stories and intrigues.

That said, my first request is just some general advice as to how such a group would probably be organized in the Realms. Would they answer to, say, the university's headmaster or dean and be "on call" to various scholars who request their efforts? Would they be more likely to meet directly with their scholar-clients, or would they have a kind of liaison/handler who arranged referrals to them and/or spoke on behalf of the scholars they would ultimately be aiding as a kind of middleman? What likely complications and competition (just in general terms) would they face in their efforts? Certainly the agents of rival scholars would be involved, and parties good-hearted and otherwise that want certain things to remain largely unknown, but any advice is welcome.

My other request is more specific. I understand the Company of Crazed Venturers were one of your original Realms groups and of their number I've lately become fascinated with Nain Keenwhistler, due to his appearance in Blackstaff and gone on a bit of a researching spree to learn more about him and his many deaths and resurrections. Through the wonders of the forum search I've found THO's remembrances of him posted at Candlekeep in addition to Steven's depiction and what's available in the City of Splendors box and Waterdeep and the North. Could you share any further insight into his character, personality, and generally how he ended up deceased so often? Was he the guy always ready, if not eager, to take one for the team? Just really unlucky? I'm considering relocating him to Silverymoon for my game so anything you could add on what makes him tick would be greatly appreciated.

Well then, that became more verbose than planned but I hope I haven't taken up too much of your time with it. (Or ran smack into NDAs.) Thanks again.

Edited by - Samnell on 21 Jun 2011 01:48:39
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  03:23:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring an initial response from Ed of the Greenwood to Samnell's post, directly above:

Hi, Samnell. No, you haven't taken up too much of my time, but I haven't managed to scrape together enough of it to give you a proper one yet. I'll have a stab at that the moment I get the 2010 Spin A Yarn tale done and off to Wizards . . .
But here's a start, re. Nain Keenwhistler.
I gave the character his first name and back story, and he was played by Ken Woods (who added the "Keenwhistler" and who now runs a microbrewery in Oakville, Ontario, Canada, called Black Oak; he has a Facebook group for it). Ken is a quiet, polite, very brainy, good-natured, determined guy, and played Nain the same way. He was a supporter rather than a noisy leader sort, but stepped forward fearlessly when things went wrong - - JUST the sort of person you'd want to have as a loyal friend. That's why he so often died, yes; when things got grim, he stepped forward and took the brunt of it. When they used to say of men at funerals: "When he saw what the right thing to do was, he went right ahead and did it" . . . that's Nain, and that's Ken. I hope Ken makes millions with his award-winning beers, and I hope Nain Keenwhistler prospers and flourishes in Silverymoon. He should; he's one of the few mages that elves, half-elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and umans would all trust, without hesitation - - and without their trust ever being betrayed.

So saith Ed. Who knows good friends are never plentiful enough, and should always be treasured, in the Realms and our real world.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  03:48:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Greetings to both Ed and the lovely Lady Hooded One.

I come bearing yet another question for my ever-growing stack of Realmslore musings.

Early yesterday morn, I was re-reading "3 Wizards Too Many" in DRAGON #196. I hadn't realised it before, but now I'm struck by the reference to the gold dragon, Galglentor.

Ed, what more can you tell me about this famed gold wyrm, who was, apparently, the source of the mint-wine?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000