Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  03:45:47  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Couple of things reading Hand of Fire has me itching to know....

To where did Storm walk off to with Arauntor? How much time did they share and what adventures?

who is/was Maraunth Torr?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  04:26:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
TO Zandilar,

To answer the easy part first: YES, the Bowshot, The Way Inn, Liam's Hold and Gillian’s Hill all still exist, flourishing (meaning they’re SLIGHTLY larger/busier than they were when described in VOLO’S GUIDE TO THE SWORD COAST: e.g. Liam’s Hold is now home to 62 or so people, not 50, but the description Volo gave is still “correct”).
No, the Troll Hills and the shoreline from Lizard Marsh to the Trollbark Forest (note: no “Trollbark Mountains”) aren’t NDA, as far as I know.
That’s what that “ridge line” really is: a line of cliffs, where the mainland drops away several hundred feet into a strip of “broken land” rarely much more than a mile wide. This broken land is damp, salt-rimed country (so vegetation is either lichen or stunted), and consists of seacaves, hills of heaped-up seabed rock hurled ashore in the worst storms, rougher hills of rock broken off the cliffs and piled up below at their feet, and flowerpot-shaped “sea stacks” of hard, layered stone left behind in misshapen columns when the wind, water, and winter ice have carved away the land around them. All manner of creatures dwell in this shoreline strip of land: leucrotta, outlawed and fugitive (or washed ashore from shipwrecks) humans, amphibious creatures of all sorts, all sorts of monsters, and countless seabirds (whose eggs offer a plentiful food source for much of the year).
Veins of iron and dark clays that contain many sort of gems are exposed on the treacherous, crumbling cliff-faces (which sport hollowed-out caves here and there, some of them peryton, eagle, or other don’t-mess-with-me aerial creature lairs). Lava vents under much of this shoreline warm the rocks (and fresh water, percolating up through them) from beneath, making this coast a place of winter mists and survival for many creatures, rather than a region most life must vacate for the cold months or perish. In other words, if you can fight off the competing monsters, you can winter over in caves that get quite comfortably warm in their innermost, deepest corners.
Those same lava vents make deep mining in this region well-nigh impossible. The warmth also makes trolls avoid the area, which is why they keep inland, in the Trollbark Forest, and to the south, in the Troll Hills, and leave this area alone.
No one rules this desolate shore, which has no good landing-places or harbors, and there have never been large settlements hereabouts, so the land is relatively verdant and unspoiled. Atop the cliffs, and inland as far south as the northern half of the Trollbark, the most prevalent life are those same seabirds, small wandering herds of wild horses and other cloven-hoofed grazing animals, and hags. There are over a dozen known coveys of hags (trios of one annis, one green hag, and one sea hag) in this region, and they dominate local life. It’s rare indeed for them to fight each other openly (and they will in fact band together to battle formidable intruders like adventuring bands), but they carry on longstanding rivalries in which status is linked to performance in disputes with each other (i.e. getting your own way or besting the other covey is a small, bloodless victory, and those who “win” more often increase their influence). Werebats (lycanthropes whose non-bat form isn’t drow, but rather several sorts of giants) are known to dwell in cliff-face caverns near the northern end of this shoreline; their presence prevents the lizardfolk from expanding south along the entire shore, and they are in turn prevented from expanding south by the presence of wild foulwings, who lair along the southern end of the shore.
Adventurers have found various sorts of constructs of ancient make (Netherese?) half-exposed in the crumbling cliffs, that move into action (usually attacking living things near them) once freed enough to break free of their rock prisons. Small parties of Gond-worshippers from Lantan make frequent explorative expeditions along the broken country, searching for constructs they can dissassemble and study; often they are forced to hire adventurers to protect them from monsters that stalk them (as food that’s obligingly strolling within reach).
I’ll leave the Troll Hills themselves for another day. As their name suggests, they are dominated by many, many trolls.

So saith Ed, whose habit of mentally strolling around his created world, “seeing” it in his head, is awesome to hear when he describes his imaginary surroundings. He makes great chip-dip, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  04:27:43  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Any chance on Troll Hills in 1370's, anything?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2905 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  07:36:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I asked the same thing last year.

This is what THO had to say. Page 21 of last years Ask Ed.

quote:
Hi again, all. I suspect Malcolm is correct, and the Warblade is NDA right now. I also know Maraunth Torr wasn't mentioned before HAND OF FIRE, and suspect Ed is saving him for a sometime-to-be-revealed purpose.
So there you go. We know Maraunth Torr is male and very powerful at the Art, but nothing more.
love to all,
THO

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 08 Jan 2011 08:14:04
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  12:36:32  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And unfortunately, I have less delightful news for Damian, straight from Ed:

Ah, the beholder nation. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for a reply to this, thanks to a BRAND NEW bright and shiny NDA.

That is actually delightful news I have waited 20 years already *gulp* December 1990 *gulp * so another year wont make that much difference

Can I speculate that the lore is part of a novel that Ed might be writing if the publishing department approve it?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 08 Jan 2011 12:57:25
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  00:09:30  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again all

I have some questions about caravan guarding in the Forest Country.

Currently one of my players is a 12th level paladin of Helm, very well respected by the crown for his ongoing work to make Cormyr safe and recently knighted (extraordinary title). He wants to invest some of his loot in a caravan guarding business with 12 loyal and trustworthy henchmen (further doing Helm's work).

I am wondering what the rules are regarding setting up a caravan guarding business is in Cormyr? I assume that it is similar to an adventuring band i.e. a licence must be bought (with covert Wizard of War investigation prior to the licence?). Yearly fee to renew said licence? any restrictions in the licence as to what can be transported?

What are rules on tax? Do you pay more tax for importing goods, compared to doing work internally? i.e does transporting fish from Hultail to Tyrluk incur the same tax as transporting fish from Saerloon to Tyrluk

Would he need a 'coat of arms' that identifies his business and can it be modelled on his own noble coat of arms?

He wants to buy heavy duty secure wagons, who are the best wagon makers in the Realm around 1370DR or so.

Any other lore would be most appreciated

Kind regards

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  00:22:24  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again

My second trade question of the day.

If I was an enterprising individual wanting to take early advantage of the building of Dawngleam's new harbour (as outlined in Volo's Guide to Cormyr) and I had a small but fast trading ship that I want to sail between Dawngleam to Westgate or Turmish, what legal commodities would be best to export/import.

As an aside if I wanted to import slightly less legal commodities and/or I want to dodge duty of high value but legal goods how efficient are the customs officiers in Dawngleam? Any local coves or smugglers haunts that I might use to offload etc? Who in the watch can be bribed and who in the community can help me get the goods into Cormyr?

Cheers

Damian
ps this enterprising individual is not the aforementioned Paladin but another player who's PC has a slighlty more flexible moral viewpoint

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  02:17:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Do brains regenerate, if you remove troll brain does it grow new one, are all past memories lost since It's a new brain?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  02:29:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Something tells me that is beholder nation question will somehow connect the the Manshoon/beholder mating question from the Knights book as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  02:53:29  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I asked the same thing last year.

This is what THO had to say. Page 21 of last years Ask Ed.

quote:
Hi again, all. I suspect Malcolm is correct, and the Warblade is NDA right now. I also know Maraunth Torr wasn't mentioned before HAND OF FIRE, and suspect Ed is saving him for a sometime-to-be-revealed purpose.
So there you go. We know Maraunth Torr is male and very powerful at the Art, but nothing more.
love to all,
THO

Thanks, I did a quick search and missed that.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A proper answer will have to come from Ed, of course, but to start answering Damian's questions about Dawngleam (by paraphrasing my campaign notes from Ed): two consistent profitable cargoes to import into Suzail are:

1. Textiles (woven cloth of superior make and attractive hues/patterns, for Cormyrean tailors and seamstresses to fashion into garments). Importing finished garments can be much more profitable but is always riskier, because Cormyreans prefer local sizings and styles to "outland strangeness," abandoning this preference only for fairly rare fads (one or two instances a decade) and fashions (a fashion as defined here just being a long-lasting fad).

2. Good wines. Cormyr makes its own wines, but not enough to meet local demands, and some of it is poor (beer is far more often made in the Forest Kingdom). Some of that poor wine makes it into fortified wines (like sherry), but nobles and rising or wealthy merchants and others who have the coin and opportunity to become connoisseurs (take the time to "educate their palates") vastly prefer robust wines of superior quality, and fortified wines made with good wines, not poorer vintages. So such "slakes" as firewine are consistent bulk sellers in Cormyr; an importer can't go wrong.

So saith Ed, filtered through me. I await specific answers to your queries, once Ed is "over the hump" of his current rush writing job.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  01:12:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Couple questions came up while trying to research the 5 Prefects and
the 3 in Darkness.

The Sharn raised the Sharnwall to stop the Phaerimm. Did they know and intentionally
raise the barrier in such a way as to keep out the Shade enclave as well?

Draindoom creates magic dead areas as it is recasting itself. Wouldn't have this meant
that Anauroch would have been magic dead and should still have magic dead mega-areas as
of 1375 since not all the senior Phaerimm casters should have been destroyed?

During the Weeping War, Phaerimm worked their way in Myth Drannor. (How did they breach the sharn wall?) Drow hampered the efforts of Cormyr and the Dales to send help to the beleagured elves. Are these two instances connected on a very deep, NDA way?

I ask because the Phaerimm attacked the elves in Evereska and I think it was the same year
that drow helped Kymil Nimesin attack Evermeet. It seems that the 3 in Darkness are all
connected by a intense hatred for the elves of the surface. There are a couple of other
instances where I think in the GHotR that drow, phaerimm, and other subt. races all attack
elves and elven interests within like 100 years of each other. (At least according to my yet incomplete research into Khelben's timeline and the Elves timeline in General.) And yet, this
all seems separate from the Anti-Seldarine and Malkizid mechanations.

Is there anything there, or am I putting togeter a bunch of dots that are too far away from each other to put together?

(Edit): Also, is there any info you can give us on the Ring of Samular?

(Edit x2) Can u give any info on the dead members of the 7 Wizards? Or are they all still NDA?

Edited by - althen artren on 10 Jan 2011 01:16:30
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  10:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Something tells me that is beholder nation question will somehow connect the the Manshoon/beholder mating question from the Knights book as well.

Manshoon mated with a beholder?!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  11:14:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ed, yet another question for my own queue... Message plates. Little metal plates that are enspelled to record a message from someone, and to include (at least in the comic) an image with the message. They were in the AD&D comic, and early in the book Cormyr, Vangey uses one. I'd like to know more about them, including game terms (2E or 3E are fine).

As always, thanks for your time!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  16:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
*activates palte* "Hi, this is Ed. Leave your message after the beep, and i'll get back to you...." LOL, Wooly, I think they have invented the answering machine in FR!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  18:39:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

*activates palte* "Hi, this is Ed. Leave your message after the beep, and i'll get back to you...." LOL, Wooly, I think they have invented the answering machine in FR!!!

Actually, they operated more like a voicemail than an answering machine -- someone would take the plate, record their message into it, and then the plate would be conveyed to the recipient, who activated it and heard the message, and saw an image of the speaker.

As I recall from the comic, they could play the same message multiple times, and I believe that all the magic was in the plate itself -- so it didn't require spellcasters on both ends. I recall that Priam Agrivar sent one to his half-sister Kyriani, and I'm pretty sure that Vajra viewed it later -- it's been a while since I read that one; I don't even recall what issue it was. Priam was a paladin and Vajra was a fighter, so neither of them could have used magic for the message to be recorded or viewed.

I don't recall these ever being described in game terms, so I'd like to know their capabilities, and of course any other lore about them Ed could offer.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jan 2011 18:40:48
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
A proper answer will have to come from Ed, of course, but to start answering Damian's questions about Dawngleam (by paraphrasing my campaign notes from Ed): two consistent profitable cargoes to import into Suzail are:

1. Textiles
2. Good wines.

Thank you muchly gives me a start to work with the players and their emerging mercantile empires and I'll conjure up a few other merchants and nobles to tangle with when they start to compete in 'trade wars'

A quick follow up question re textiles:

Is the quality of the local wool and linen that Cormyr produces inferior to that of other places (hence the imports) or is it a matter of taste and fashion first?

Or is technology more advanced elsewhere (spinning/weaving machines etc) which produces better quality textiles?

Best wishes

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 10 Jan 2011 18:51:51
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  00:22:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't recall these ever being described in game terms, so I'd like to know their capabilities, and of course any other lore about them Ed could offer.
As would I. And I don't remember seeing any particular rule-related details for them either.

Though, I've long suspected that they might in fact reflect a little of the individual who enspelled them. Kinda like the sensory stones in PLANESCAPE.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  00:26:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sage and Wooly, all I can recall Ed saying about these, other than their rarity, was that they simply CANNOT be used to communicate incantations, command words, spells . . . and any spell symbols, glyphs, explosive runes, runes in general, or the like. Attempts to "record" such things simply fail. If a message was prepared for a message plate that said, "When you reach the inner door, touch it and say "GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLIES" to get it to open without blowing you up," (obviously, I'm inventing this example) what the plate would record would be:
"When you reach the inner door, touch it and say ". . . [silence] . . ." to get it to open without blowing you up."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  00:33:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello AGAIN.
Just got an e-mail from Ed about many, many things. Damian, here's the relevant stuff about the textiles:

Cormyr produces cloth (and finished clothing) of above-average to excellent quality, but their usual mix of livestock (wool) and crops (with so many mouths to feed; the naval traders sailing around the Inner Sea, and Sembia next door, have seemingly BOTTOMLESS appetites; Sembia has far too little agricultural land to feed itself, and the Moonsea has poor growing conditions, so the Dales can't feed everyone) makes local Cormyrean cloth expensive . . . versus cheaper, just as good or better, and fashionably exotic "outland" fabrics. Cormyrean peasants usually make all their own clothes, but prize scarves, gowns, and blouses of "flashy" foreign make. Almost all Cormyreans have a prejudice in favour of their own, Cormyr-made weathercloaks and winter woollen wear (leather gloves and aprons, too), but otherwise prize - - and usually pounce on - - "outland stuff" for most other garments.

So saith Ed. Who will of course furnish you a proper reply to your root question as soon as he can (right now, he's "beyond busy" again).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  05:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
Being as I am currently in Queensland, Australia, and with the flood madness going on at the moment (I'm not in any danger myself, though - given that I live on a hill, if the water reaches me I'm going to build an ark and start collecting animals), I thought I'd pose a question relating to natural disasters (again, floods in particular) in the Realms (as opposed to explicitly magical disasters).

Specifically, any major occurrences of them around 1365-1375 DR throughout Faerun (IIRC, the Shadovar messing with the High Ice was causing severe weather problems around 1370-1372 DR), and what the usual response is for people hit by the problem. For example, in Cormyr, if there happen to be floods capable of wreaking severe damage to both towns, cities, villages and the populace in general, are wizards dispatched to try and control the direction of the water (or removing it entirely)? Or can they do little more than get people out and wait for everything to subside?

By contrast, what happens in other areas, such as Waterdeep, the cities of the Sword Coast, and the like? Do they evacuate people, are there magical defenses in place, or something else? I can't imagine the Blackstaff standing aside and doing nothing if Waterdeep was flooding or in danger of being hit by a tsunami, for example, or Elminster watching Shadowdale wash away in floods.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  14:33:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Hello Ed!

first of, a great start into this new year for you and yours.

Now, I know that your to-do-list is a never ending one and the same it is with your question-to-answer-list from this chamber here in Casndlekeep.
However, I would like to give you one more question to answer, in hopes to get a quick answer. Here it comes:

I was wonderinmg if you might tell me what the street in Arabel is called that leads from the East Gate to the High Horn Gate.
The Arabel-map in the 2nd Ed. Sourcebook 'Cormyr' (TSR 9410) shows that this street runs pretty much straight east to west through the entire city. I'd believe this important and many traveled way must have been given a name, though I cannopt find on in my books. So I turn to you for help.

Thanks for your reply on this,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  14:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
Another question for Ed:
If someone wanted to open up a coffee shop (similar to our world's Starbucks, or maybe Tim Horton's) in Waterdeep, what sort of expenses and other hurdles can be expected? What are the chances of a steady clientele (I'm guessing it would mostly be from the nobility)?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  15:10:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Ergdusch,
I can help you with your question.
The streets in Arabel have been named and renamed many times over the years, as the city has broken free of Cormyr, been reconquered, local personages have risen and fallen out of favour, and so on.
However, that main central avenue you speak of is quite clearly labeled on my 1979-era Ed-drawn "home Realms campaign" map of Arabel as:

Thalonder's Ride

(known in daily usage merely as "the Ride" to local citizens)

There you go. Anything to keep a fellow wayfarer in the Realms from getting lost in Arabel. Not that it's huge or hard to STAY lost; it's just that there are some back alleys a traveler wouldn't want to blunder into unprepared.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  15:16:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Ergdusch,
I can help you with your question.
The streets in Arabel have been named and renamed many times over the years, as the city has broken free of Cormyr, been reconquered, local personages have risen and fallen out of favour, and so on.
However, that main central avenue you speak of is quite clearly labeled on my 1979-era Ed-drawn "home Realms campaign" map of Arabel as:

Thalonder's Ride

(known in daily usage merely as "the Ride" to local citizens)

There you go. Anything to keep a fellow wayfarer in the Realms from getting lost in Arabel. Not that it's huge or hard to STAY lost; it's just that there are some back alleys a traveler wouldn't want to blunder into unprepared.
love,
THO

hmmm, Would these back alleys have names?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000