Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2011 :  18:04:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, what did you conceive being down in Veldorn? Was that yours? or did TSR come up with that? Is the 'modern take' (either 3e or 4e) anything like how YOU pictured it?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

<major snippage> ...but is there anything in the area that the dwarves would find worth settling down for? Any good nearby mines? Is the stone quarry-able? (and if so, where would they sell it?)

Mines of Tethyamar.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2011 :  19:09:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ed, what did you conceive being down in Veldorn? Was that yours? or did TSR come up with that? Is the 'modern take' (either 3e or 4e) anything like how YOU pictured it?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

<major snippage> ...but is there anything in the area that the dwarves would find worth settling down for? Any good nearby mines? Is the stone quarry-able? (and if so, where would they sell it?)

Mines of Tethyamar.

(nudge to MT...I think he meant under the Twisted Tower; the Mines of Tethyamar might be a good place for them...though not very far away from Shadowdale at all is a particular underground Dwarven Settlement in Daggerdale)

Personally, I have been curious about the mineral riches beneath Shadowdale myself...if Ed or THO could expound on what is to be found there I would be very happy to hear it as well!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2011 :  19:39:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I'm in the field right now, but finally managed to find a hotel with Net access, so . . .
Markustay, I can confirm that Veldorn, as a realm ruled by monsters, is Ed's creation, from the early days of the Realms.
Dalor Darden, Hoondatha, and Chosen of Asmodeus, your most recent posted queries all touch on existing NDAs, so I know Ed (to whom I've sent them) will face some obstacles in answering you.
Synthalus, Ed just CAN'T be an instant-answer lore service. I do know that at the time he wrote ELMINSTER IN MYTH DRANNOR, it was his custom (and TSR's expectation) that he would quietly write up all new spells, magic items, and monsters in full game stats, for release in DRAGON or a regional sourcebook if TSR wanted to do so. In many cases that lore is NDA because TSR asked for it, received it, never printed it but still owns/controls it directly, so Ed isn't free to share it with you or anyone.
Those are the rules Ed MUST operate under, here, or he risks legal jeopardy for Candlekeep or himself. So if you are in a pressing hurry, yes, you'd best devise that rabbit-slicing spell for yourself.
Must run know; someone else wants to use this terminal, and I have other pressing tasks (just as Ed is busy with some pressing writing work right now).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2011 :  20:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey THO, good to hear from you. Take care. We don't want you ending up in the hospital again.

And Ed dances the NDA dance better than anyone, so anything he can share would be great. But if he can't, that's fine too. The very fact there's an NDA there could be interesting.

Speaking of NDA's, is it permissable to ask how old an NDA is, at least in general terms?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  00:22:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Hrm. So I've stumbled onto something here. Good to know. Any information that Ed can share would still be deeply appreciated, but I understand if he can't give any out.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  01:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

It is very likely that Ed cannot tell us what is contained in the NDA, or even if the NDA will end at a certain point. Rather than write a long post about them, I suggest reading the Wikipedia article instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

THO: if Ed can indeed tell us when his NDA status will end, that would be incredible. A lot of NDAs run until death, sadly, and I certainly hope that's not the case.

Cheers,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  04:34:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank You for that quick reply THO.

I grew curious after realizing that country was left-off the Fonstad (FRA) map, being as Ed has said that one (official) map is the closest to his Realms.

"You've stepped off the edge of the map, mate... here there be monsters!" --- Capt. Barbossa, PotC

As for NDA's: Its the nature of a NDA to NOT be able to actually discuss an NDA, because by discussing what is NOT ALLOWED TO BE SAID, you've already given away far more then you are allowed to. Sometimes you learn more in life by paying attention to what is NOT being said.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

(nudge to MT...I think he meant under the Twisted Tower; the Mines of Tethyamar might be a good place for them...though not very far away from Shadowdale at all is a particular underground Dwarven Settlement in Daggerdale)
I was thinking in-terms of "why would the dwarves be interested in this region?", and Shadowdale (as opposed to Zhent-ridden Daggerdale) would be a great staging-ground for expeditions to re-take that old dwarven Hold. In fact, that entire chain (Desertmouth Mts.) is mineral-rich, IIRC. They could even set-up a base-camp at the mouth of the Ashaba (once again, making Shadowdale ideally located).

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Personally, I have been curious about the mineral riches beneath Shadowdale myself...if Ed or THO could expound on what is to be found there I would be very happy to hear it as well!
I too would like to hear his thoughts on this. I hadn't considered anything beneath the dale itself, because I normally don't associate mineral-rich areas with well-used Underdark complexes (even if they are very near the surface). I just don't think the Drow would have left any wealth alone, unless they were somehow oblivious to it (or was something they could care less about, like copper).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Mar 2011 04:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  04:58:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ahhh...but with the Dagger hills nearby being so rich!

Lets not forget the Brightblade Clan of Dwarves in Anathar's Dale/Dell is it? They have loads of silver...and in the lowlands!

I think Shadowdale might be rich deep in...considering that not too far away is Myth Drannor and dwarves once lived there...as well as Hillsafar on the coast and the aforementioned Brightblade Dwarves of Daggerdale!

I'd be interested to hear from Ed/THO about whether there have historically been many clans of dwarves who lived in what seemed to be mineral poor areas...but in truth they hid riches from others while seeming to eke out a meager living. All within the Dales area primarily...but in other areas too.

Thanks if you can relate anything at all!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  17:36:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dalor, re. this: "I'd be interested to hear from Ed/THO about whether there have historically been many clans of dwarves who lived in what seemed to be mineral poor areas...but in truth they hid riches from others while seeming to eke out a meager living."
I know from Realmsplay years back with Ed, that this happens. Quite often.
One instance: In elder days on the southeastern edge of Anauria, a small dwarf clan dwelt in a small peak known as "the Hollow Mountain." They told humans they lived there because it was sacred to the founding of their clan (mortal dwarves meeting dwarven deities in a cavern at its heart). That may or may not have been true, but MOST of the clan had moved there less than sixty years before, to begin hollowing out the mountain in earnest, because it was a working mine with rich veins of ore (nickel and iron, I seem to recall, but my the second sheet of my notes seems to have wandered, so I can't be certain).
Ed will, of course, provide more in the fullness of time . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  17:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Dalor, re. this: "I'd be interested to hear from Ed/THO about whether there have historically been many clans of dwarves who lived in what seemed to be mineral poor areas...but in truth they hid riches from others while seeming to eke out a meager living."
One instance: In elder days on the southeastern edge of Anauria, a small dwarf clan dwelt in a small peak known as "the Hollow Mountain." They told humans they lived there because it was sacred to the founding of their clan (mortal dwarves meeting dwarven deities in a cavern at its heart). That may or may not have been true, but MOST of the clan had moved there less than sixty years before, to begin hollowing out the mountain in earnest, because it was a working mine with rich veins of ore (nickel and iron, I seem to recall, but my the second sheet of my notes seems to have wandered, so I can't be certain).
love,
THO

Was that during the time of Anauria? (if so I need more details ,if possible, for my project )

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  18:00:34  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed any assumptions on what you think might occupy V'elddrinnsshar after ending of Kiaransalee, would the hatred they have for Orcus cultist still bind them to the purpose and place after no longer knowing how it originated? Is it safe to assume that written word and sculptures of Kiaransalee vanished or was distorted so she couldn't be returned?
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  20:49:07  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Dear Ed, dear THO,

In July 2010 I came with a question about the Hobgoblins and goblinoids of the forgotten realms.

your answer went right into it - so far, I had only viewed it from the "human" point of view, as you precisely described.

After your reply though, and some other reasons, I had to reconsider my whole picture of the realms Goblinoids quite drastically.

And after exchanging loads of information with many of the wonderful scribes here, I have come to a new question / set of questions.

And here they go:

1. Would it be too wrong to have the thought of a wide-spanning sercetive network of the Hobgoblins of Faerun, exchanging information etc. and plotting for THEIR goals on the strategic point of view?

and in more detail:

a.)i.e. Hobgoblins being responsible for the huge amount of troops mobilized by the sythilisian empire, also organizing much of the logistics etc. necessary to maintain and train a host of over 65.000 fighting individuals - and more important, stay undiscovered.

b.) that eventually in more regions ever heard of ( orsraun mts., stonelands, copper mts. etc. ) these either local or interlinked "kingdoms" of the hobgoblins do exist for very long time periods already, but going completely unnoticed by the "civilized" races?

Or would it even be possible, that the hobgoblins are responsible for the fact, that the standard evil wizard or madman, or even the zhents etc. can almost always recruit humanoids in such vast numbers without any problems? like the hobgoblins directly or indirectly manipulating tribes, chieftains or even subjugated versions of them into joining the ranks of these armies? - like the one gathered to destroy evereska just after the return of the shades??

these options would all suit the basic approach and descriptions you made in july last year.

and, if only one of them wouldbe true, is there any more information on WHAT couldbe the long-term goal for hobgoblins to be achieved? or HAVE they actually already achieved what they want, and are just maintaining it?

I know I know, a lot of questions on things most likely not very high in the priority rating of ED and you, but still this is an ongoing discussion with a lot of friends and also keeps my own brain busy since ever then.

basically I know I can do whatever I want in MY realms, but I am more than keen to know what the opinion of this is with ED and Gary and you...

I am looking forward to a short reply, and say thank you in advance for sharing any information.

All the best
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  22:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Ed and THO:

What happened to the Wild Mage that was in the Tome of Magic from the 2nd Edition? I remember it being one of the most enjoyable classes of mages to play, and it completely disappeared in the 3E Realms books. Finally, would such a class exist after the fall of the Weave and the Spellplague? If so, from what would he or she draw his or her magic?

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  01:24:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Azuth, the Wild Mage was detailed in the 3.5 Complete Arcane. It's not FR specific, but can easily be placed there. I would imagine they simply chose not to give it a separate write-up in the FR sourcebooks. IIRC, the PrC had some slight problems (I have heard some say it was underpowered, or just did not feel right) but would work fine with a few minor adjustments.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  02:15:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Azuth, the Wild Mage was detailed in the 3.5 Complete Arcane. It's not FR specific, but can easily be placed there. I would imagine they simply chose not to give it a separate write-up in the FR sourcebooks. IIRC, the PrC had some slight problems (I have heard some say it was underpowered, or just did not feel right) but would work fine with a few minor adjustments.

I personally did not think it captured the feel of the 2E wild mage.

And for relevance, an earlier comment from Ed on wild magic and wild mages:

quote:
Dearest Woolpert, Ed makes reply to your wild magic queries:

Please bear in mind that what follows is what *I’d* do as a DM, not an official WotC D&D rules ‘ruling’ (there’s something called the Rules Council for that).

The Chosen of Mystra are hampered by dead and wild magic just like everyone else, with three exceptions:

1. Spending Silver Fire.

For ‘brute force’ magics (energy blasts, the creation of magical barriers, healing, and so on) Chosen of Mystra can expend silver fire to manage almost normal effects (and probabilities of effects, though there’s almost always echoing wild-effect ‘leakage’ around their operating spells). Translocation spells (teleportation) are still chancy (though in a wild magic area, silver fire can be burned to create a line intersecting with a nearby ‘strand of the Weave,’ and the Weave then ‘ridden’ out of the wild magic area, in a strange ‘slow teleport’ that third parties see beginning as a fading and shifting of the teleporter, so that, say, Elminster briefly has three heads blended and blurred into one another before he ‘snaps out of sight’), and detection and divination spells nigh-impossible.

2. Feeding Magic With Magic.

Chosen of Mystra have the inherent ability to ‘feed’ one magic into another, draining part of the stored energy of a held or worn item or the entire energy of a memorized spell into another spell, to ‘power it up.’ Because this tends to make magic ‘go wild,’ it’s never done in normal circumstances, but often succeeds in causing a spell to have pretty much normal effect in a wild magic or dead magic area, if a more powerful spell is fed into a lesser one.

For example, Elminster casts a lightning bolt and feels it start to ‘tug wild,’ so he uses his ability as a Chosen to make it ‘hang fire’ until the next round, and during that next round feeds a flesh to stone spell he’s memorized into the lightning bolt. Because of the difference in levels, the lightning bolt is highly likely to ‘go off’ as a lightning bolt, at the end of that second round, though its aim and discharged energy (damage done) may still vary wildly. If El instead burns a ninth-level memorized spell to feed the lightning bolt, it will probably function almost normally. Note that this does NOT appreciably alter the surroundings from being a wild or dead magic area, though doing this thirty times or more would weaken a dead magic area into something much smaller.

3. Feeling Flows, and Familiarity

Chosen of Mystra can sense movements, build-ups, and changes in nature (for example, from a build-up into a discharge) of magical force. This can give them small tactical advantages in a wild magic zone that other beings lack. Also, in a locale VERY familiar to the particular Chosen (such as their usual abode, or a spot where they’ve previously spent a lot of time or cast many magics), their own magical efforts will be at least slightly better than any attempts by mortal spellcasters to battle dead or wild magic because of their familiarity with the presence, precise location, and nature of existing magics, usual local flows of magic, and so on.

Of course, Chosen can call on the Weave to destroy wild and dead magic areas (and planar rifts, too), though this is a long and exhausting process involving the casting of many spells, and ideally the cooperation of several Chosen or powerful spellcasters working together (something akin to several people trying to gather, bunch up, and carry away a gigantic collapsed hot air balloon or fallen field tent or huge parachute, it’s something best accomplished by people who aim their efforts accurately, know what to do, and work together well). It’s not something they can expect to accomplish if lacking many memorized (or otherwise stored) magics, if under attack, or in a hurry.

So most Chosen who find themselves in a wild or dead magic zone will first attempt to get out of the zone, unless there’s some compelling reason for remaining there.

Your next question was: “How do you feel about wild mages, and how would Mystra feel about such casters, who deliberately play fast and loose with the Weave?”

Wild mages have indeed returned in the new Complete Arcane. I make no apologies for introducing wild and dead magic into the Realms in the first place, but when they became a 2nd Ed character class, Jeff Grubb and I both responded with “Uh-oh.”

Why? Well, in short, like spellfire, wild mages can be a campaign-wrecker. Great fun for an encounter or two, but the implications of their presence are far-reaching, so “wild mages” are usually best confined to a rare handful of NPCs - - unless the campaign is a lone wandering PC wild mage adventuring one-on-one with a DM. Consider the presence of wild mages with ‘regular’ arcane spellcasters or priests of any sort in the same party of adventurers. Many accidents waiting to happen. I’m not saying “don’t go there,” I’m saying ‘consider carefully what the character of your D&D play may change into, before you embark on this.’

As for Mystra: The ‘old’ Mystra (LN) was less than pleased with this road of dweomercraeft because of the damage wild mages can do to fellow spellcasters, the Weave, and most importantly to the reputation of arcane spellcasters with others (and therefore, the general attitude [fear] of most intelligent beings of Faerun towards magic and its use).

The ‘new’ Mystra, however, was more than a bit of a rebel as a young mortal woman. Like the keeper of a china shop glumly observing an approaching bull, she’s against wantonly destructive uses of magic, and her alignment gives her a distaste not just for destructive magic but also for deliberately cruel uses of magic. However, Mystra has seen much reckless use of magic by divine spellcasters serving other deities and by selfish mages of various stripes, noted that many of these uses have been both effective and have garnered much respect among the wider populace, and more or less shrugged.

She may be ‘waiting and seeing,’ and she (or Azuth) may well send some of their powerful servants (including Chosen) to curb individual wild mages who seem to turn wholly insane or who “throw their weight around too much.” For now, however, the rare wild mages in the Realms seem free to follow the path they’ve chosen.

So saith Ed. Who seems to never be anything else but busybusybusy, these days.
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  02:39:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
You know, I can't believe that I forgot about this cool piece of Ed-lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  03:52:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I printed that Ed lore out.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  05:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

A fantastic bit of lore, and I'm surprised it didn't show up when I searched on the topic of "wild magic" previously. I'd add one question to this that I've never truly understood and that's been brought to the fore again by Ed's comments:

If all of the Chosen can work together to reduce or destroy wild magic areas or dead magic zones, what would prohibit Mystra herself from doing so? (Pre-Spellplague) I could understand allowing wild magic to persist as it's a different manifestation of Art with new uses and creations in magic, thus part of Mystra's portfolio of tasks as goddess of magic, but I would think Mystra would devote a great deal of energy to "reparing" dead-magic zones. I would suspect Azuth to have a similar goal as his responsibilities as Lord of Spells and mages would compel him to aid his worshippers by removing areas in which his followers would be weakened.

I seem to recall that a greater Wish spell had some effect on dead magic zones, although my memory fails me late at night. Ed's insight into this would be greatly appreciated as I'm working on my next campaign and I have a PC who is very much interested in playing a Wild Mage.

May your spells go off exactly as planned.

As for Mystra: The ‘old’ Mystra (LN) was less than pleased with this road of dweomercraeft because of the damage wild mages can do to fellow spellcasters, the Weave, and most importantly to the reputation of arcane spellcasters with others (and therefore, the general attitude [fear] of most intelligent beings of Faerun towards magic and its use).

The ‘new’ Mystra, however, was more than a bit of a rebel as a young mortal woman. Like the keeper of a china shop glumly observing an approaching bull, she’s against wantonly destructive uses of magic, and her alignment gives her a distaste not just for destructive magic but also for deliberately cruel uses of magic. However, Mystra has seen much reckless use of magic by divine spellcasters serving other deities and by selfish mages of various stripes, noted that many of these uses have been both effective and have garnered much respect among the wider populace, and more or less shrugged.

She may be ‘waiting and seeing,’ and she (or Azuth) may well send some of their powerful servants (including Chosen) to curb individual wild mages who seem to turn wholly insane or who “throw their weight around too much.” For now, however, the rare wild mages in the Realms seem free to follow the path they’ve chosen.

So saith Ed. Who seems to never be anything else but busy busy busy, these days.
love to all,
THO
[/quote]

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  16:30:42  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
After not getting any response at all to my question about Ioulaum, I made a search in the older threads and noticed that Ed never seemed to have answered a question about him.
I'm woundering why? Is he so NDA'ed that its even NDA'ed to say that the answer would fall under an NDA? *scratches his head*
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  17:40:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

After not getting any response at all to my question about Ioulaum, I made a search in the older threads and noticed that Ed never seemed to have answered a question about him.
I'm woundering why? Is he so NDA'ed that its even NDA'ed to say that the answer would fall under an NDA? *scratches his head*

I could answer that, but it's NDA.

Seriously, from what I read your not far off, there's just not anything that can be shared at this time.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:23:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I can confirm that there are overlapping NDAs pertaining to Ioulaum (among other things). So, yes, he's deeply NDA'd at this time.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Mar 2011 18:24:01
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:

I can confirm that there are overlapping NDAs pertaining to Ioulaum (among other things). So, yes, he's deeply NDA'd at this time.
love,
THO

That either sucks big time (if its an old NDA) or splendid news meaning we can expect some netherese goodness (I hope).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  01:30:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
THO,

In planning a real world project, I was reminded of Ed's huge level of detail in his work. We're planning(very early stages) a home in a heavily wooded area. Was curious to know if Ed had and sketches of smaller (very small ) estates or hunting lodges that might be found In the forest kingdom? Especially interested in rooflines, windows, woodwork/trim, library rooms, portals and entrys.

Is that a lot to ask? I know it is but, I can't help myself!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 10 Mar 2011 01:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  04:25:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
love,
THO

As always, a pleasure hearing even the slightest lore from you! Many thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  04:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Red Walker,
I had the pleasure of sitting with Ed at a convention some years back (The Great Canadian Baycon, in Hamilton, Ontario) and talking about his cottage, in Muskoka, Ontario. Both it and his house east of Cobourg, Ontario have lots of trees around them.
Ed bought both of them, has expanded the house for his books, but (at the time we talked, anyway) has only had enough money to do maintenance on the cottage (new roof, etc.), not really change it.
However, Ed did mention a library book to me that he LOVED. He described it as a "hippie book" and its title was something like:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Guide To the Woodbutcher's Art
or perhaps:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Woodbutcher's Almanac (though I think I was closer to right the first time).
A slender white covered hardback crammed with photos, prolly published in the early 1970s.
I'm posting this because Ed said it was chock-full of what, to him, were photos of "dream" handbuilt homes, almost all of them in forests in North America.
(Caution: I have never seen this book. Ed did tell me all about the library interloan, or "interlibrary loan" system at the same time, as a way to temporarily examine the book.)
I'm guessing Ed does have drawings of his own, but I won't be surprised at all if he can't find them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  05:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Ed/THO,
Was there any progress on gunpowder-based arms during/after the Spellplague? I never much liked them, and found the concept to be irrelevant in a word of magic, but I can see how they might be more readily developed when Art was unstable. I'm not sure what influence Gond (or his absence) would have on this, either, so any comments would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  09:43:03  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

That either sucks big time (if its an old NDA) or splendid news meaning we can expect some netherese goodness (I hope).

Since its such a long time I fear its the first option
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  15:07:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
To The Red Walker: Blueblade is, as far as I know, exactly right in all he posted. Both Ed's house and cottage (which is actually two cottages, a boathouse, a toolshed, a derelict sleeping "bunkie" and outhouse and pump shelter) are closely surrounded by trees - - and I remember that book!
Ed DOES have a floorplan and sketch of one hunting lodge (remember the scenes near the end of the Knights trilogy book involving a certain noble-owned lodge, in the King's Forest?). I suspect Blueblade is right about his not being able to find it, because some of the rooms in Ed's house are in upheaval right now.
However, I can recall many descriptions of various lodges in the King's Forest, from years of Realmsplay. Most are akin to American "log cabins" but with stone fireplace/chimney "end walls" and flagstone floors (remember, we're talking royalty and nobility as builder/owners, here). They have shake roofs, VERY steeply pitched to shed snowloads, with the interiors of the peaks left "open" as attics crisscrossed with beams (like modern roof trusses, but of course "tall" rather than squatty, and jointed with dovetails and "socket" joints, rather than weird little pierced metal sheet fasteners), the beams being used to hang bedding and carpeting (which are made with heavy-duty knitted loops for hanging hooks at both ends) when the lodges aren't in use.
When servants arrive at a lodge, their first duty is to build and light fires (in ovens only, in summer; most lodges have outside ovens as well as inside ones; the outside ones get used almost exclusively in summer, to keep the lodges cool). Their second is to get soup and other hot drinkables going, and heat bread on metal sheets close to the ovens . . . and their third is to fetch down the hanging bedding and carpets, and put them where they're supposed to be.
That's all I can find from my notes, quickly. I do recall rainwater cisterns on the roofs of some lodges, screened and peak-roofed to keep birds from nesting and critters out, and an assassin who once poisoned most of a nobles' retinue by tainting the cistern-water (it got used in laundry and in washing the kitchen pots and dining-platters, and got to them that way, rather than directly through the food and drink).

So saith Ed, filtered through me. More from him directly in the fullness of time, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:24:00  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Red Walker,
I had the pleasure of sitting with Ed at a convention some years back (The Great Canadian Baycon, in Hamilton, Ontario) and talking about his cottage, in Muskoka, Ontario. Both it and his house east of Cobourg, Ontario have lots of trees around them.
Ed bought both of them, has expanded the house for his books, but (at the time we talked, anyway) has only had enough money to do maintenance on the cottage (new roof, etc.), not really change it.
However, Ed did mention a library book to me that he LOVED. He described it as a "hippie book" and its title was something like:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Guide To the Woodbutcher's Art
or perhaps:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Woodbutcher's Almanac (though I think I was closer to right the first time).
A slender white covered hardback crammed with photos, prolly published in the early 1970s.
I'm posting this because Ed said it was chock-full of what, to him, were photos of "dream" handbuilt homes, almost all of them in forests in North America.
(Caution: I have never seen this book. Ed did tell me all about the library interloan, or "interlibrary loan" system at the same time, as a way to temporarily examine the book.)
I'm guessing Ed does have drawings of his own, but I won't be surprised at all if he can't find them.
BB

For those who are interested I Found the record in Worldcat:

Handmade Houses: a guide to the woodbutcher's art by Art Boericke & Barry Shapiro.
San Francisco, Scrimshaw Press, 1973.
95 p. col. illus. 25 cm.
Isbn: 0912020008

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  02:33:16  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
To Ed and THO:
I am having trouble playing my Crone of Kiaransalee in 4e Realms. Namely, because the goddess's name was wiped from everyone's mind. How does a deity die from lack of worship anway? A significant power reduction and a descent through the deity ranks seems fine.
Also, why were Hanali Celanil, Aerdrie Faenya, and Sehanine Moonbow turned into aspects of other gods? To me it seems like a cop-out from WotC so that they don't t do a little more work explaining the Fey pantheon, as well as the destruction of the Seldarine itself (and the Dark Seldarine with the very un-needed deaths of Kiaransalee, Eilistraee, and Vhaeraun)!!
One more thing, why do Star Elves have so many NDAs surrounding them? Will many of them be removed soon?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000